deer park alpha 2 (Fire Fox 64)

Okay I have the new FF64 running (using it now) and it works well. I dont see much in terms of a speed increase in sites overall, but on this site its much quicker.
Let me explain my observances.

I notice that it likes to load text first, which is great on this site, but on other sites it gets a little weird. The H forum is for the most part all text, but at other forums with images all over (avatars, images in sigs, etc.) loading is a bit "slapdash" It is not bad, nor is it slow, its just strange.
Rather than the page loading top to bottom or all-of-the-sudden coming up, it loads the text and then fills in the rest. It's as if you can see the behind the scenes of what normal FF does. I obeserved that normal FF will halt the loading process for some photos or background images, while DPA2 will just load the text and fill in the rest after.
Were talking about a 1-2 second load time on my Cable connection, but alot can be seen in 1-2 seconds.

Another observance is that it is now pretty stable. In the DPA1 browser downloads would 9 times out of 10 not work. They fixed that. For all intensive purposes it is ready for release. Flash works, as does in-browser videos (like QT and WMV).
I dont have java installed on this fresh reinstall of XP64 but I will post back my findings on that subject.

I have found one thing that annoys me, and it has to do with previously view webpages. The picture shows this.

Notice the dotted lines around some of the links, those are links I just clicked on. It goes away if the mouse crosses its path (pointer moves over it, mouse speed doesn't matter) but its still annoying and I cant figure out how to fix it.

On thing that is present that is really cool is the new search feature (think ctrl + f). If this setting is on it will start searching the moment you type, no more pressin ctrl + f. Its smart too, for instance right now I am typing, so it should be searching, but its not, it understands text boxes. If I click anywhere thats not a interactive position on the page (interactive as in text box, or link) and start typing it would pop up the search bar and show me relevant words. Note: this is not turned on by default, its in the advanced properties.

One thing that is still strange is that if I open up DPA2 and then try and open up FF it just opens up another DPA2 window. The same is true if I do that in the opposite order. So I cant do side-by-side testing.

For all instensive purposes this is FF only 64bit, meaning it works just like normal FF. Tabs work, Mouse wheel click to open in new tab works. All your general preferences, including Bookmarks) are imported. I have noted everything I have observed, meaning that if I didn't notice it it probably was in FF and was transfered here. (NOTE: there is a load page of the DPA site, even if you have a different HomePage this site will load fist when opening the browser. Clicking the Home button will bring you to your HomePage and not to the load page, but I cant, and don't feel like overriding it.)

One more note, as I said before I am running XP Pro x64. The thing I noticed is that this did not install in my Program Files, it installed in my Program Files (x86) folder. I bring this up because Windows x64 doesn't recognize it as built for a 64bit OS. Some other programs get into the normal Program Files folder but not this. I guess its either meant for 64 bit chips and not just 64 bit OSes, or Windows Install is foolish.

That selection rectangle bug happens in my 32-bit copy of DPA2 as well.

It's a code problem, not a port problem.

Back