Hey guys, did I install this CPU correctly? It doesn't seem to work. *pic*

NormanNormal

2[H]4U
It's definitely not overheating I used more than enough thermal paste.

pasta.jpg

ROFL!! I think somebody made a mistake here

Someone didn't use a CC to apply it, I see finger prints in there. That's DEFINITELY the problem! :D

lmfao...i wonder if he tried to overclock? Granted the thing even turned ON!

lmao....thats a prime example of someone who needs to join the [H] forum :)

Oh my lord..... I mean...

I dont even know what to say.

PS. You can tell its a gigabyte board because 1 the blue pcb (usualy only gigabyte) 2 the north bridge fan

OMG, that made me laugh.

Anyway, if there's even a remote possibility that might be you...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

On a serious note (or extremely funny one), I've seen a message from a guy on the Atari forums saying he tried the CPU without the heatsink and posted pictures. I gave him that link and he said he did everything wrong. Then there's the guy who said he knew people who said they had placed a heatsink with the tape still on the thermal pad. Wouldn't that be obvious? Anyway, my Spire Whisper Rock IV had a large plastic "cap" on it that was obviously needed to be taken off for installation.

forumposter32 said:
OMG, that made me laugh.

Anyway, if there's even a remote possibility that might be you...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

On a serious note (or extremely funny one), I've seen a message from a guy on the Atari forums saying he tried the CPU without the heatsink and posted pictures. I gave him that link and he said he did everything wrong. Then there's the guy who said he knew people who said they had placed a heatsink with the tape still on the thermal pad. Wouldn't that be obvious? Anyway, my Spire Whisper Rock IV had a large plastic "cap" on it that was obviously needed to be taken off for installation.

lol..... maybe we need to sticky that website.......you know...just in case....to prevent that kind of mess to happen again :D

whats funny to me is how you put a title on this that makes people think you have a problem. LoL... :eek:

I call shens. It's probably staged....some duron on a dead kt133. But it is funny.

I've seen that plenty of times.. If you are using a Vapochill or phase change, filling all the holes with that white (non electrically conductive) thermal grease prevents condensation from corroding all the pins.

I've already seen the result when a Vapochill was used on an Athlon XP without the grease.. pins falling off, and all of them colored green.

haha, i've seen a picture of a P4 layered real thick with thermal paste and someone photoshopped candles on it and added 'Happy birthday!' to the bottom. It was classic

If anyone has that pic or knows where it is, PM me :)

TysonM said:
I've seen that plenty of times.. If you are using a Vapochill or phase change, filling all the holes with that white (non electrically conductive) thermal grease prevents condensation from corroding all the pins.

You can't be serious. I didn't realize this was required, I was sure condensation didn't occur in the socket only outside the unit.

bgates2b said:
Yeah, I was also kinda wondering if you clean all that gunk off, would it work?
Depends on several things. If the material is conductive, if it worked in the first place (this is probably a "setup" pic with bad hardware like others mentioned), and how long it was running for (heat buildup could have damaged the parts).

Also cleaning it out of the slot on the mobo would be near impossible.

NormanNormal said:
You can't be serious. I didn't realize this was required, I was sure condensation didn't occur in the socket only outside the unit.

Well, I saw this on an Athlon XP, same kind of Socket A as you see in the photo. I worked for a reseller that sold them, and the Vapochill was sent to us to fix what was going on. Removed the CPU and corrorded green pins were falling off.. so that was obviously the reason why it wasnt working anymore.

I havent kept up with the news lately, so it might be different for the other smaller sockets. On my system (Athlon 3700+ on a DFI Lanparty) I didnt want to risk it-- I used the grease. However, I killed the motherboard because I didnt insulate the BACK of the motherboard.. had planned to but forgot, and once the board was screwed in it was too much work to remove it to see if there was condensation or not. Ended up with blue corrosion similar to what forms around battery terminals.. thankfully my CPU was okay and I bought an 81 dollar refurbished motherboard from Newegg (no manuals/cables/extras, perfect for replacing my mobo) and its running perfect now, with the back insulated.

Ahh, thats good.

I guess the obvious question is: Did he put a heat sink on when he started it up?

Obviously, he's gone wrong there as well :p

I showed my dad and he didnt know what was wrong.. Hes never touching my computers ever again...

Back