ehh.. scanline looking things going down 2005fpw..

so i just got my 2005fpw, amazing screen. no dead pixels or backlight leaking either (i never understood what people meant by that backlight problem..)

anyway, i just noticed that on lighter backgrounds, i can see what look like little lines going down my screen. like scan lines. err. i dunno how to explain it. little like.. transparent black lines going down the screen, equally spaced, one after another. i must sound like an idiot describing this :-P

does anyone know what im talking about? (doubtful) if you do, is this normal?

**EDIT**
I just noticed that the scanline looking things go down only the left quarter of the screen... and even if i turn the screen vertically, it is still that same part of the screen that does it.. meaning it cant be interference.. i hope this is normal..

Sounds like interference to me, I would recommend moving away all devices that create a large EM field (speakers, wireless transmitters). See if that makes a difference.

Also, if there's a wifi card/usb dongle near the connection to the video card, that may affect your picture.

i have a 5.1 sound system, and i had the center speaker underneath the screen, and left and right speakers next to the screen, but moving those away didnt help. how far should they be? what other things would cause it?

It could be just what the screen does in regular operation. Keep bumping this thread until someone with a 2005fpw replies, I'm sure they'll have a lot to say. Good luck.

I have a 2005fpw. I set my background to white and no matter how hard I look, I don't see any scanlines anywhere on my monitor. Have you tried it in another computer?

actually, i can't see it with white. i guess its not light colors. i just opened up paint, made a fullscreen canvas with the top right color (dark brown) and i can see lines going down the left side, but only the left. its not bothering me that much, its just kinda strange....

ok well this pissed me off enough to get the damn thing replaced, im just praying that there are no dead pixels or backlight problems on my new one..

There goes my auto-adjust idea... yea it's wierd. Doubt its the monitor though, but not much to do besides part swapping and moving your rig to a totally different location for EMI purposes.

yeah, its the monitor. my friend had one with the same problem, i know exactly what you are describing. he just returned it and got a new one.

ok ya so i just took the monitor to a bedroom which has NO electronics in it, and tried both dvi and vga on my laptop, same problem. its the monitor.

ok now im stumped. first of all, dell is ridiculous. this return was made 2 days after i recieved the monitor, and guess what? when i ask for a replacement, they send a refurbished one! i thought this was only after 21 days! i even asked the guy on the phone, he said they would send a new one!

now for why im stumped. i switched just the screen part of the monitor, and i still have the same problem. tried switching the cables with the "new" ones, same problem. but it couldnt be my graphics card, because it did the same thing on my laptop. it couldnt be interference, because it did the same thing when i put the screen in a bedroom w/ no electronics.
WHAT IS GOING ON!??! lol, ok someone with the screen, can you not see anything on the very left of the screen, like little faded black lines going down the screen? it is only visible when the background behind the lines is some shade of blue, and that color has to be kinda dark..

yeah, dude... i already told you its the monitor. unless you just want to use a different color background get a new one. its not impossible that the new one (refurbished) that they sent you has the same problem. kind of like, though rare, its possible to get two monitors in a row with dead pixels. send it back again.

It is possible you have some kind of large but low-powered EM field over your house that's interfering with the screen. Try taking it to a friend's house in a different neighborhood and try it out.

Arkalius said:
It is possible you have some kind of large but low-powered EM field over your house that's interfering with the screen. Try taking it to a friend's house in a different neighborhood and try it out.

lol sounds like a sci-fi movie now.

try upgrading your DVI cable...you never know when you could get a faulty cable. Its worth trying over the headache of returns. If the cable makes no improvement then just return it.

Power supply within the monitor. I'ts not a bad power flow, it's just the interference caused by it. Many people seem to get this, including myself (with the 2005fpw as well as other monitors). Get another? Live with it? I don't really have any suggestions

Ok I used a VGA cable and hooked it up to a laptop. No scan lines. So I don't think its the monitor. Sounds like a DVI cable problem? Where can I get another DVI cable.

Back