Dell 2005FPW - Setting It Up - Image And Text Problems

lw3d

Gawd
Hi,

I got the monitor and got it installed through the DVI port. Upon bootup the windows desktop filled the entire monitor and the picutre was pretty good even at my previous monitor reololution of 1280 x 1024

I noticed when I clicked on the ATI icon 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz was listed so I decided to choose that

I dont know if I have to get used to this look but it appears that I have some image problems. It is especially prominet in text, especially in PDF documents. The wierd thing is it happens when the PDF is viewed at 100%. On top of that I also notice a rainbow effect along the edges of text, especially white text

With respect to images, it appears as if every image needs more antialiasing. I also notice what appears to be a moire pattern on images, especially on edges of detail

With respect to the backlight issue ... I notice when I first power up the monitor a rainbow of light appear at the bottom corners but I do not notice it when the monitor is getting a signal ... is this still a backlight issue

Is it normal that I have only 60 Hz as the only option eventhough the Display > FPD > Attributes tab of the driver set says the max refresh rate is 75 Hz

On the Options tab should Reduce DVI frequency on high resolution displays be checked or not ... as far as I can tell it doesnt seem to make any difference

Can someone give me some guidance ... I have the latest Radeon 8500 drivers installed and cleartype on

lw3d said:
I dont know if I have to get used to this look but it appears that I have some image problems. It is especially prominet in text, especially in PDF documents. The wierd thing is it happens when the PDF is viewed at 100%. On top of that I also notice a rainbow effect along the edges of text, especially white text
I think the rainbow effect might be something going on with ClearType... Have you tried turning it on/off?

lw3d said:
With respect to images, it appears as if every image needs more antialiasing. I also notice what appears to be a moire pattern on images, especially on edges of detail
How are you wiewing these images? What resolution are they?

lw3d said:
With respect to the backlight issue ... I notice when I first power up the monitor a rainbow of light appear at the bottom corners but I do not notice it when the monitor is getting a signal ... is this still a backlight issue
No. My backlight issues is just a grey gradient coming from the bottom corners like if a midget sat in the corner with a flashlight. If I move, it changes to brown. Yours sound like you got a seriously defective LCD...

lw3d said:
Is it normal that I have only 60 Hz as the only option eventhough the Display > FPD > Attributes tab of the driver set says the max refresh rate is 75 Hz
Yes.

lw3d said:
On the Options tab should Reduce DVI frequency on high resolution displays be checked or not ... as far as I can tell it doesnt seem to make any difference
No, probably not.

Yonzie said:
I think the rainbow effect might be something going on with ClearType... Have you tried turning it on/off?

How are you wiewing these images? What resolution are they?

No. My backlight issues is just a grey gradient coming from the bottom corners like if a midget sat in the corner with a flashlight. If I move, it changes to brown. Yours sound like you got a seriously defective LCD...

Yes.

No, probably not.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me

I have the same text issues with cleartype and without. It is pretty damn annoying. Even viewing the problem files at 100% [ actual size ] does not solve the problem

For example, on the cd which came with the monitor, in the home directory, you
will find a file called QSG2005FPW.pdf ... try opening that up and tell me what you see

On the top left it says ' Setting Up Your Dell 2005FPW ' ... this is fine but to the right of that it says the same in different languages using English letters but it is a jarbled mess. The directions below it are a jarbled mess too. I took a screen grab ... hope it shows the problem Image link - notice the pdf is viewed at 100%

With respect to images ... when viewed at 100%, or actual size, it appears kind of fuzzy. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like all images need better antialiasing and sharper detail

I may be wrong about this, but if you can take a screenshot of this problem and get the bad effects, that means it is probably something to do with your connection, or what you are connected to. Your screen is just showing the output, but by taking a screenshot and the screenshot showing defect (Which it looks like it is) then the problem is beyond the mere screen. I would try hooking this monitor up to someone elses PC, and seeing if it is the same. Just by using my logic (which could be wrong), I would say it is your Video Card or DVI connection. Try going in through VGA.

If you are lost on what I am saying, let me try to explain myself (it is too early for this, haha).

If your computer did not have a monitor at all hooked up, you could still take a screen grab. Because all the screen grab does is grab what the computer is outputting at that second. So actually, it may not be the connection, it sounds to me like it is your video card. Anyway, by grabbing what the computer is outputting, and since the screen had defects, you can only trace the problem as far as the video card. Because your monitor isn't inputting anything to the computer, it cannot send it what it sees, it doesn't need to.

If I were you, I would get another monitor you have, open up the screen shot you saved, and see if you think it looks the same as it did on that other monitor. If it does, it is your video card. If it doesn't, you have a faulty monitor or DVI connection. But first and foremost, plug it in through the VGA (or did the 8500s have VGA and DVI? it may have been one DVI with an adapter to VGA). This is just my logic, I could be dead wrong.

If the OT is as picky about the output quality as he sounds like he is, then either he is already using the analog VGA connection... or else is about to faint from shock when he sees it on VGA for the first time... 1680x1050 on LCD + VGA = no good for picky quality people..

:D

I am using DVI and have not tried VGA ... if I get these problems with DVI, I can imagine what VGA would look like ... by the way the Ati Radeon 8500 comes with both one VGA and DVI connection

How are you guys checking for light leakage because I have what appears to be a rainbow of color or light coming from the corners

My ears are still open with respect to text and image crispness ...

Am I the only one that has uncrisp text and images along with the other text problems I already described ... try opening up some PDFs and please tell me what you see

lw3d said:
I am using DVI and have not tried VGA ... if I get these problems with DVI, I can imagine what VGA would look like ... by the way the Ati Radeon 8500 comes with both one VGA and DVI connection

How are you guys checking for light leakage because I have what appears to be a rainbow of color or light coming from the corners

My ears are still open with respect to text and image crispness ...

Am I the only one that has uncrisp text and images along with the other text problems I already described ... try opening up some PDFs and please tell me what you see
Opened up a few PDF's at full res and blown up as much as possible and the text is pristine. Images are beautiful and everything works with my Radeon 8500 other than the fact that I cannot see the BIOS screen when using the DVI output.

Moving on, have you tried fooling with the auto adjust? I found that to pick settings that were pretty much dead on. I just connected the monitor to my machine, turned it on, it auto adjusted, and I went on my merry way after changing the resolution.

Pressing the second button from the right, the + button, is supposed to turn on auto adjust, correct ... not for me

I even did a factory reset throught the OSD and still can not turn on auto adjust

lw3d said:
Pressing the second button from the right, the + button, is supposed to turn on auto adjust, correct ... not for me

I even did a factory reset throught the OSD and still can not turn on auto adjust

you are running dvi, auto adjust is not needed and are disabled.

about your pdf problems, it looks like you are missing some fonts that the documet is using and it's using a fixed bitmap font in the wrong size therefor the characters looks strange.

I want peoples opinion if I have the backlight issue ...

I understand backlight bleed is white and in a dark room with the desktop color changed to black, white should not be seen emitting from the corners

For me, in a dark room with the desktop color changed to black, I do not see white from the corners, I see colored light, a rainbow effect or what some call a peachy color

I understand that this peachy color is normal LCD viewing angle distortion or do I have a backlight problem

Thanks

If the backlight bleed is brownish, it's because you are looking at sideways.

This is what I got:
2005FPW_1.jpg

2005FPW_2.jpg

And two of these:
2005FPW_4.jpg

They are all going back.

Well, I am not looking at it sideways I know that

What are the conditions in the room when you are taking the camera shots and what do you have as the background for the display ... I will try and duplicate it and see what I get

Late evening, no light, using Dead Pixel Buddy to generate a completely black background.
The two first shots are pretty much indicative of what I get, the last one is over-exposed (too white).

I dl that utility and will try and take some snapshots later but in the meantime I now know what you guys are referring to the backlight issue

I was at Costco and I hapenned to check out their computers and LCD screens and I saw some prestine LCDs. There were two computers with LCD screens, a Sony with a 20" and a HP dual core with a 21 " widescreen

I proceeded to do what I do on my computer ... change the theme to windows classic and and change the desktop color to black. POW, there it was, a pitch black LCD ... I mean black, no shades of grey anywhere. I even squished the liquid crystals around and still pitch black and all this under the Costco lights

I immediately said, that isnt what my Dell 2005FPW looks like and I immediately knew what the backlight issue is all about. I know I do not have a major case of backlight but still, why cant Dell seem to make backlight free monitor

lw3d said:
I immediately said, that isnt what my Dell 2005FPW looks like and I immediately knew what the backlight issue is all about. I know I do not have a major case of backlight but still, why cant Dell seem to make backlight free monitor

They can but it's just very rare with the 2005FPW. Mine has no backlight leakage at all but it was just pure luck that I got it after 4 exchanges.

5150Joker said:
They can but it's just very rare with the 2005FPW. Mine has no backlight leakage at all but it was just pure luck that I got it after 4 exchanges.

I was just wondering, what are the chances of having backlight leakage with the 2405FPW?

lwed:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=24-116-285 said:
Great LCD and no ghosting whatsoever. Contrast is good too. Screen got delivered with no dead-pixels and in perfect shape.

However, after about 1 month of use, one dead pixel appeared in the center of the screen which only turns from black to red (meaning the blue and green subpixels are dead). Given the extremely high resolution it's hardly visible though. Everything else about the screen is great. Newegg delivered quickly as always.

One more thing: be aware that this monitor has problems with DVI in DOS mode on the ATI radeon 8500/7500 as described at ATI's knowledge base
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4014.html

In windows you can do the usual fix by "reducing the DVI frequency". However DOS/bootup mode on an ATI Radeon 8500DV in DVI mode will NOT work. I had to boot up using analog, then enable the DVI frequency reduction, and then reboot in DVI so windows would at least work. Again, this is NOT a problem of the monitor, but of ATI's first buggy version DVI outputs on these cards.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=370
This doesn't involve your backlight issue because this is only concerning the card and it's first generation of DVI...something, just isn't compatible in "DOS" mode while in DVI.

Your backlight issue can be resolved by calling Dell and describing your problem.

Back