Sennheiser HD-485 :: Full review w/ pics (56k warning)

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
Make: Sennheiser
Model: HD-485

Purchased price: $79.99 + $4.99shipping
Link to item: HD-485's @ Newegg

Hey guys whats up. After my Plantronic .Audio 80's died, I was on the search for a new pair of headphones. Not wanting just another generic pair, I came to you guys. First I was pointed to the HD201's. Disatisfied with the bass and comfort, I looked again. I was told about the HD497's but I wanted cloth pads so I chanced it and went for the HD485's. I've never written a full review and I'm a rather unexperienced audiophile if one at all so I ask that you bear with me :p . On to the review.

The box that it came in was pretty cool. It split open in the front and the "doors" swung open to reveal a beatiful set of cans that I was very excited to recieve.

pics0055oh.jpg

Here is a shot of the headphones, cable, and headphone hanger it came with. The cable is nice and thick and is also detechable from the headphones themselves. So if you wanna hang them somewhere the cord doesn't reach, you can just unplug it that way and store it.

pics0069by.jpg

Here's a close up of the headphone stand and a pic of it in use. I'm glad it came with one. Now I can put stuff on top of my comp.

pics0105gr.jpg

pics0147bg.jpg

Here's a shot of the ear cups. They're SOOOOOO comfy!!!! The moment I put them on, I knew I found what I was looking for. I find them to be a more secure fit and more comfy than my friend's HD555's. The HD555's had a little part that would touch my ear and bend it a little making it slightly sore, but this has to be my odd shaped ears to thank. Even beside the fact my ears are weird, these are incredibly comfortable headphones.

pics0181un.jpg

pics0192rs.jpg

Here's some pics of the HD485's side by side the HD555's for comparison.

pics0162oc.jpg

pics0157nr.jpg

Sound evaluation:

Ok ok.....enough boring you with pictures and on to how they sound ;) . This is the part I'm afraid to talk about because sound is subjective and I haven't heard that many headphones. I'm running an Audigy 2 with a Pioneer SA-950 stereo amp. Here we go....

Overall, they simple sound great. Very clear and crisp. At first, the mids were subdued but i was expecting this and sure enough, they started coming through with use and is now good. I personally like the sound of a lower mid range so they're perfect. One of my high priorities in picking a pair of cans was bass. I wanted very pronounced, clean bass and boy do these deliver. The bass goes deep and is very smooth. Distortion is there at high volumes, but I'd never listen at those volumes. Right now I'm listening to the Newboys who have a clear sound and low bass on some songs and it sounds GREAT. The low bass hits come through wonderfully. The treble is fantastic as well. I have yet to here a crackling or any twangy sound like some other headphones. The positioning is really nice. It's much better than those stupid Kinyo 5.1 headphones I tried awhile ago. Compared to the HD555's, they don't sound quite as "full" and the range is obviously not a broad. The bass on either is very close to each other, but the HD555's seemed to have slightly tighter bass. I gave those back to my friend a little while ago so I kinda forgot what the HD555's sounded like. Hope that gives you some idea.

Conclusion :

Coming from a series of cheap headphones, these are a blessing. Amazing all around sound and wonderful, low bass. I can wear these for hours on end and have no problems or sweaty pads thanks to the cloth ear cups. The included headphone hanger is a nice plus and is useful in my case. If you're like me and you want haedphones that are 1. comfortable 2. have lots of bass with no distortion and 3. are under 100 bucks; then I see no reason to get anything else.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone in their decision.

- LunchboX

Nice pictures. You're well on your way to becoming an audiophile with all these headphones you're trying. Personally I love the HD555s. The sound is almost like the 595s for about half the price and the 595s are my favorite cans (that I've tried thus far). Generally speaking, the velour pads are supposed to be the most comfortable, but I guess your ears maybe a little large and hitting the inside of the can (or the spatializer gadget). The 485s look like they have a bit of room inside. That headphone stand looks really cool. I wish Sennheiser would have included it with the HD5xx/6xx series. For the ultimate sound, try playing around with an EQ.

As soon as i started using HD-590s, i loved them and now i swear by them. I call them my "Wall Hacks" for CS, unfourtanetly i play too much with the volume too high and will be needing to send them in b/c they are crackling.

added a little bit for comparison, but keep in mind that i briefly listened to the HD555's after I got my 485's..............ya, they're that nice ;)

What I'd like is someone posting a head to head comparison with a HD515 and HD497. The HD555 is like $50-70 more than the HD485 so I wouldn't be surprised that it sounded better too.

Another interesting question is how are these for portable use. How much do they improve with an amp vs without?

Thx for taking the time to review and compare for us. I had considered getting a set of hd555's to replace my current secondary set, maybe i'll audition the hd485's at the same time.

Oh yea, couldn't help but notice this statement:
LunchboX3904 said:
The positioning is really nice. It's much better than those stupid Kinyo 5.1 headphones I tried awhile ago.
QFT, If i've said it once i've said it a thousand times, you don't need 6 speakers taped to your head to get positional audio :p

heehee

hahaha ya......i learned the hard way :p atleast I've learned. It's funy to think that no high end audio product makers produce 5.1 headphones......this is why.

About use on a portable:

I used it for a 3-day trip with just my old Magnavox cd player and it works just fine. They got plenty loud and the bass was still there. They distorted above volumes 9 out of 10 or up, but not bad and I'm sure it's the player's fault. They look a little stupid on your head (sticks out some), but they stay on there when you bend over to pick something up. I like to have adjustments that my portables don't have so I won't be using it with them much.

Great review! It almost makes me want to buy some new headphones :) Although my HD497s should do for a while.

Nice review but it's time as a sticky has ended.
5 veiws in 4 days means it's hit a point where just about every one of the regular visitors to this section has read it.

LMAO.......awesome. I remember seeing a flash, then my friend telling me someone just took a pic of my sign. lol.

thanks for the link...... :p

i picked these up on newegg thanks to your recommendation, just wanted to say that so far i really really like them. they're infinitely better than what i had, which maybe means if i ever get $200 headphones they will be infinitely better than these. even if they're not the best headphones that money can buy, the price was right, i have better places to spend the money at the moment.

tim_m said:
i picked these up on newegg thanks to your recommendation, just wanted to say that so far i really really like them. they're infinitely better than what i had, which maybe means if i ever get $200 headphones they will be infinitely better than these. even if they're not the best headphones that money can buy, the price was right, i have better places to spend the money at the moment.
glad you like em and that i could help out. makes it worth writing the review. :)

Wow I like that Headphone Mounting thing. Anyone see that on sale seperately anywhere?

I haven't seen em anywhere but in the package. I'd give you mine but I like it too. :p

xxBlackCrossxx said:
What do you guys think are better cans? I was thinking buying these icemats but I stumbled into this thread and now I am considering these 485's. I need some new headphones for music and 5.1 gaming through the XFI soundcard.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4050045

pretty good price on these icemats.

I don't know anything about Icemats, but I do know that Sennheiser probably makes some of the best heaphones in the world (there are other good companies too though), I would definantly go for the Sennheisers if I were you, and event though they aren't 5.1, they do provide good directional sound (or at least my HD-497's do).

cool thanks for reply. yeah, the icemats are supposedly really good. there are tons of reviews if you google them. but those 485 look great as well.

thanks.

I just ordered a pair from NewEgg, I wanted to go the wireless route just because I didn't want a wire, but decided the interference and loss in sound quality just wouldn't be worth it. I was going to go a little higher up the ladder in the headphones but after reading your review, i figured I could settle for a sub $100 pair since they seemed pretty good. Well they should be a fine replacement for my cheapy Panasonic stereo headphones that I picked up for $10 at Fry's about 2 years ago. :D Nice review man.

The Icemats are pretty decent. Especially for the price, but the Sennheiser 485's are a little bit better. Even better than both are the Audio Technica ATH-A500.

Good brief review with some very good pictures. I also liked those cans for the brief few days I spent with them. I have a set of Senn HD580's and a set of HD650's which I preferred. Very nice choice for the money.

Review gets an A+.

Glad I found this thread :)

I listen to a wide genre of music and demand the best quality I can afford, probably one of the reasons I choose to keep my current kenwood amp (one of the last few kenwood released in the UK before stopping)

I had Grado SR60 for my pc (driven by santa cruz and the late 7050 AV receiver from kenwood) which were awesome but the centre orientated soundstage gave me headaches and the headphones were 100% uncomfy after 30 mins or more so I returned them and bought the Sennheiser HD485 - I will NEVER look back again, the sondstage is very nice and it engulfs you fully which is just what I need when watching movies, playing games and listening to acoustic music. The bass is on the same levels as the Grado too and after drive in period (almost 100 hours) sounds even better. Every detail is there. They are fairly new models though from Sennheiser so proper reviews may not be out yet.

SO in a nutshell, the HD485 vs Grado SR60 (and SR80 since they both are virtually identical bar the earpads which come with the SR80 which once put on the SR60 sound like the SR80...):

HD485 = Padded stand mountable on a shelf or table
HD485 = Very low sound leakage (SR60 could be heard from downstairs on medium volume)
HD485 = very comfy headband with a good half inch thick padding on underside (SR60 hs no padded headband)
HD485 = Nicer highs, feels more ronounced
HD485 = Wider soundstage
HD485 = Detachable single entry cable
HD485 = Around the ears fit as opposed to Grados "on the ears"

BTW the 485 for me were £30 cheaper than the SR60 and not only sound better but feel infinately better....

would u say go for the HD485 or HD515

i noticed u didn't compare the HD515 and that's wut i plan on getting

it's only like $12 diff at zipzoomfly so hm :p

but those HD555 look tempting, argh!

485>515 AND cost less. checkout headphone.com and look at the HD515 review.

aZn_plyR said:
485>515 AND cost less. checkout headphone.com and look at the HD515 review.
read it

no review for the HD485?

would u say the HD555 quality justifies it's price tag? and would it be excellent for gaming? tell where ev1 is and anything that makes sound?

the hd555 IMO is worth the extra money from the HD485.... it's either get the 485 or go all the way for the 555. Forget the 515 even exist.

aZn_plyR said:
the hd555 IMO is worth the extra money from the HD485.... it's either get the 485 or go all the way for the 555. Forget the 515 even exist.
it states that the HD485 have replacement earmuffs and i really like that desk clip they give

argh!

read my question about gaming ^^^

rox1co said:
it states that the HD485 have replacement earmuffs and i really like that desk clip they give

argh!

read my question about gaming ^^^
positioning on these is awesome. Very even and accurate. They do wonders for me in DoD:S. Actually, when my friend and I are playing together, I'm the ears cause he uses crappy headphones so we'll stop or go quiet then I'll tell him over voice com where people are coming from. I'm betting the HD555's have somewhat similar or better positioning, but these are great for it. Simply put, these headphones will do it all. Maybe not the best, but for the price it's not expected.

Makes me feel really good that this thread still gets attention! :D:D:D

Well.. My Plantronics gaming headphones left side died shortly after reading this thread.

So... after additional research I placed an order for the HD485s on ZZF for $67 bucks shipped :cool:

I'll have to live on cereal for the next week :(

synergyo1 said:
Well.. My Plantronics gaming headphones left side died shortly after reading this thread.

So... after additional research I placed an order for the HD485s on ZZF for $67 bucks shipped :cool:

I'll have to live on cereal for the next week :(

lol. How ironic.

As for cereal, who doesn't live on that stuff!!

planning on getting this (selling my sennheiser pc150)

i read that it has replacement earmuffs or whatever, but i don't see that in your picture? confirmation that it does?

also, wut microphone should i these baby with?

rox1co said:
i read that it has replacement earmuffs or whatever, but i don't see that in your picture? confirmation that it does?

I believe they mean it has "replaceable" ear cushions. Meaning you can buy replacements later down the road. My 485's certainly didn't come with an extra set of ear cushions.

for anyone that's used them, since I use closed phones around the house most of the time... how do these compare to the HD-280 Pros?

Very nice review. I read all of it and the replies. On headphone.com the HD 485s get a 4 out of 5 while the HD 555s get a 5 out of 5, and your review seems very similar. It's interesting that only the 485s have the headphone stand. That's a really neat feature that I'd like on more sennheiser headphones :(

I bought these mabey 3-4weeks ago, they are definately great headphones, but I really dislike boomy bass.....I really like bass to have a punch like subwoofer give, something these headphones cant do like the logitechs I had

MrBojangels said:
I bought these mabey 3-4weeks ago, they are definately great headphones, but I really dislike boomy bass.....I really like bass to have a punch like subwoofer give, something these headphones cant do like the logitechs I had

1, don't resurrect year old threads
2. Try Grado's then.

Back