SG01 + MSI mATX + Zalman 7700 cooler?

After seeing that new Silverstone Case (SG01), i've given in and decided to build one, using some of the parts from my current rig.

I haven't seen an actual SG01, so I wonder if anyone has build one with a Zalman 7xxx cooler. Will it fit, assuming a normal power supply? I have a NeoPower 480 to use for this.

You know you get better performance if you overclock...

I'd say it's highly likely the sides of the case would not be your friend. The 7000 might work though, although you might run into problems with the northbridge cooler. MSI has the tallest NB cooler of the Radeon Xpress boards.

Not sure. Doubt anyone has tried yet.

I'll be building one in about 1-2 days (waiting for the case and vid card now). i will post tons of pics and what works in a couple of days (yes, with the zalman cooler too). I'll also tell you if you should buy some papst fans, i'm very eager to know my self.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've been doing a lot of research, and have decided to go for it.

BTW: I chose the MSI over the Jetway and ECS because i've been told that the latter both have poor driver support.

It's gonna be a week before I get my stuff, so, I shall post photos of the build.

sounds good...get pictures too if you can. I plan on getting my new computer in 2 weeks :)

Sounds like we're all going to have about the same builds:
MSI mATX 939 Radeon XPRESS
Zalman 7xxx cooler
AMD64 3000+
X800Pro
Silverstone SFF Case
Antec Truepower 430 (old, looking for quiet solution)

along these lines... can anybody recomend really quiet psu and quiet sata hd's?

Nice, thanks Steeve!

Well, I built the system. It all fits nice and snug, however due to my powersupply choice, there are cables strewn everywhere. My power supply coupled with the 60mm fans arn't exactly quiet. So I will be investing in a new 80mm, and 2 new 60mm, probably panaflo fans. Overall, the case is longer than I anticipated, but I am very happy with everything (except that I don't have a SATA hard drive or optical drive). I'll post some pictrues when I get back from work today.

Okay, well, I've daddled long enough with the photos.
Here is my Silverstone SG01 Build (silver).

DSC00002.jpg

This is what my system was, you see I really wanted the sff upgrade.

DSC00003.jpg

Here's everything that needs to fit into it!

DSC00004.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take photos while I was doing it, but now you can see how it all fits. I did bend the fins a little bit, but it is a tight fit. The exaust holes on the side suck air in from the bottom sides of the computer, and blows the hot air from the back. It keeps the system good and cool, I can even play bf2 with the system inside a cabiet (i like having a computer, but never want to see it).

DSC00005.jpg

Here is a back view. The fact that you have to take the back 60mm off to put some cards in is a bit annoying, however it wasn't as bad. But the screws are cheap, so be really careful the first time, so you don't strip them.

DSC00006.jpg

Nice side view with my badass video card. The drive cage is pretty sweet IMHO.

DSC00007.jpg

A view from atop. I still havn't bought a 60mm top exaust, but that is planned. Along with much quieter 60mm back and 80mm side intakes. They are simply too loud. Also, I am going to purchase a queiter PowerSupply.

DSC00008.jpg

Front view, looks pretty slick, great design!

DSC00009.jpg

A comparison with the cell phone, hopefully in 10 years i'll be playing bf2 at full graphics on a handyphone... dreams.

Final thoughts: A tad bit expensive. Not reccomended with IDE cables, it was a pain in the neck to install, and I therefore want to buy some SATA optical and Hard drives. Also, the 60mm and 80mm arn't a total ditch, but go over to quietpcusa and get some panaflos or papst fans instead to reduce noise, I think they have some around 12db's. The Zalman fits fine and cools well.
Fun build, Good looks, Functional.

YellaT; is that the Zalman a 7000 or 7700?

Also how does it perform? I've used an S-ATA drive and have had big performance issues, so much so that I got the board replaced (which was just as bad) & then went out and got a different board (which had totally different but equally annoying issues)

CNPS7000B is the exact model.

I don't understand your question about the SATA drive though...

I was wondering using a UATA drive if you'd had performence issues (slow HDD access, CPU getting tied up, etc.), I've had the same issues with just genrally bad drive performence on 3 seperate boards, two diffrent designs.

topic is misleading, you have a zalman 7000 cooler :)
nice pics!
i still cant decide between the sg01 and the qpack
leaning more towards the qpack because the extra 100 could help get me a dual core cpu or sumthing

I just personally think the qpack is an ugly monstrosity. I have waited for a Silverstone SFF for a long time, and now that it's finally here my main regret is I didn't wait for a second generation.

I havn't hit any performance issues yet, except for some overheating (then again, I'm overclocking a little, keeping it in a cabinet, in the middle of California August, I have no airflow in my room, the only such thing as a draft here is a fantasy football draft).

And I believe all of the Zalman coolers will fit, it's not at all a tight fit. The main problem is cabling, which is never too bad.

u think u could measure the distance from the edge of ur cpu heatsink to the edge of the case?
just to help confirm if a 7700 cooler might be able to fit that way
the other issue is if the mobo can hold teh cooler :(

YellaT said:
I havn't hit any performance issues yet, except for some overheating (then again, I'm overclocking a little, keeping it in a cabinet, in the middle of California August, I have no airflow in my room, the only such thing as a draft here is a fantasy football draft).
I doubt I could push the system hard enough to induce overheating the HDD access stalls the CPU to much. Seriously, it took what 40~50 min to install juiced on all 3 boards, the windows install was a fresh one every time, etc. Being honest formatting of the drive was painfully slow during the install of 2k. I've tried 2 74GB Raptors and a 200GB DM10, all SATA and had the same issue. Overheating and/or PSU? I doubt it, considering the AN8 is rock solid and is giving stellar performance with exactly the same components.

And I believe all of the Zalman coolers will fit, it's not at all a tight fit. The main problem is cabling, which is never too bad.
The 7700B is a little taller it might get too close to the PSU to be effective, unless the air is drawn from the bottom of the heatsink and exhausted out the top into the PSU. Though I will admit I've not got a board physically in the chassis yet.

no i cannot, i went over my monthly bandwidth usage with thos pictures!

:mad:

sorry. i'll get them on photobucket later in the week, school just started again... sadface!

YellaT said:
no i cannot, i went over my monthly bandwidth usage with thos pictures!

:mad:

sorry. i'll get them on photobucket later in the week, school just started again... sadface!

if you send me the pics.. I will host them on my server and post them in this thread for you. email them to, j u l i a n @ t h u n d e r p i m p . com ,without all the spaces. I am totally tempted to get a sg01 and want to see some pics! :)

Back