First sighting of 7800 GT?

heh looks slightly faster then a 6800Ultra maybe just short of 6800GT SLI speeds

Like the price drops we've seen for the 7800 GTX, I'm sure the 7800 GT won't remain $449 for long. It's probably $399 MSRP but since it's a pre-order, they charge $50 extra.

I'm sure there will be at least a $100 spread between the 7800 GTX and 7800 GT relatively soon.

SLI ready ?? hmmm.... I thought the GTX was going to be the only SLI enabled 7800?

revenant said:
SLI ready ?? hmmm.... I thought the GTX was going to be the only SLI enabled 7800?

I thought this ridiculous rumour died a long time ago. Nvidia never said that only the GTX would be SLI enabled.

revenant said:

Nope thats just what all the 7800GTX owners where hoping for. (an exclusive club).

Too bad all the rif raf are going to get SLI. ;)

Probably all the way down the line, even to 6200/7200 line (though it may be designed for the 1,2, or 4x PCIe slots).

I'm still waiting for the AGP version of the 7800GTX, so I can say "I told you so" to all the doubters and crybabies would wanted 7800GTX to be an exclucive PCIe only club.

jkrafcik, why not inform Kyle or Steve about your discovery?
Seems like pretty interesting news.
You found a page on a retailer website featuring a card that is not out yet.
I think it is [H]ard News worthy.

EDIT: I sent a PM to Kyle since he was online.
I told him that you should get all the credit for the discovery.

not impressed, and i hate zipzoomfly, back when they were called googlegear i bought a athlon xp3200 for $380 and a biostar mobo. well the mobo was defective and they would not do a rma on it, i will never do business with them, newegg for me.

air2k5 said:
not impressed, and i hate zipzoomfly, back when they were called googlegear i bought a athlon xp3200 for $380 and a biostar mobo. well the mobo was defective and they would not do a rma on it, i will never do business with them, newegg for me.

that is not zipzoomfly's fault :rolleyes:

neubspeed said:
Does anyone think the 4 extra pipes will be unlockable in Rivatuner?

From Nvidia's point of view, is it a good idea to allow people to unlock pipes?
I would say yes and no to that question.
More people will buy the GT for the unlocking ability but, less people will buy the more expensive GTX.

Well the 6800 GT had all 16 pipes enabled, and the only difference was as core speed decrease. The 7800GT they've posted has a whole quad disabled and only a 10MHz difference in speed. My guess is these are the chips that didn't qualify with all of the quads enabled.

"Factory overclocked" wtf?

if this is not marketecture, i don't know what is. if the card can perform at these speed settings from the manufacturer, then it is not a overclock, it is running within "factory" specs. or does this mean your card comes with a voided warranty?

i just remember when OC meant running above the rated speeds, by tweaking voltages, and better cooling (and some blind luck), but when a product comes with OC as part of it's name from a manufacturer...well its just smoke and mirrors (hopefully not the magic blue smoke)...

mentok1982 said:
From Nvidia's point of view, is it a good idea to allow people to unlock pipes?
I would say yes and no to that question.
More people will buy the GT for the unlocking ability but, less people will buy the more expensive GTX.

And not all people will be able to unlock them (successfully) b/c Nvidia needs to do something with the chips that have a defective quad. So some of the cards will no doubtedly not work properly when unlocked. And probably a lot of them in the first batch will be just GTX boards that had a bad quad that wasn't discovered until final testing.

Nvidia could hard lock the chips by laser cutting or some other way, but it would be more expensive though. So they will probably just keep it as a BIOS mod. (soft mod)

There was a deal posted not that long ago for a BFG 7800GTX, less than $500 shipped. $450 seems pretty steep for this thing.

Agreed, $449 for a GT is an outrage, especially considering the MSI GTX is only $479. I doubt they'll find many takers at that price. Needs to be closer to $349.

chrisf6969 said:
Nope thats just what all the 7800GTX owners where hoping for. (an exclusive club).

Too bad all the rif raf are going to get SLI. ;)

Probably all the way down the line, even to 6200/7200 line (though it may be designed for the 1,2, or 4x PCIe slots).

I'm still waiting for the AGP version of the 7800GTX, so I can say "I told you so" to all the doubters and crybabies would wanted 7800GTX to be an exclucive PCIe only club.

Well thank god it'll have sli ability... I am glad! I guess the last thing I read about it said "no" but that was a pile of steaming crap. Sorry for any confusion caused.

RogerX said:
Agreed, $449 for a GT is an outrage, especially considering the MSI GTX is only $479. I doubt they'll find many takers at that price. Needs to be closer to $349.

Give it time. It'll drop in price, look what happened with the GTX. It started to drop in price pretty damn good after a few weeks.

dR.Jester said:
Give it time. It'll drop in price, look what happened with the GTX. It started to drop in price pretty damn good after a few weeks.

If its highly available like the 7800GTX, it will probably drop to $399 or less in just 2-3 weeks time.

8.4 Gigapixel/second fillrate=not bad
32 Gigabyte/second bandwidth=bullsh*t :(

This card has no more bandwith than the 6800GT has. Why isn't Nvidia moving to 512 bit memory? How can they expect their cards to continue to climb in performance when all they do is increase fillrate and leave memory bandwith as the bottleneck!

Yeah, Im gunna upgrade to it from 6800GT, will probably order first week of Sept.

I don't think many people at all will settle for a gimped 7800 just to save $50, aside from the usual tweak-happy types willing to figure out just how they can land an unlockable one.

Having an X800XT now, I'll wait until towards the end of R520/G70's lifecycle and grab one in AGP then.

The ignorance floweth in this thread......why would you compare the cheapest street price of the GTX to the MSRP of the GT?

In case you forgot we are comparing a $600 and $450 cards.

xxGriff said:
"Factory overclocked" wtf?

if this is not marketecture, i don't know what is. if the card can perform at these speed settings from the manufacturer, then it is not a overclock, it is running within "factory" specs. or does this mean your card comes with a voided warranty?

i just remember when OC meant running above the rated speeds, by tweaking voltages, and better cooling (and some blind luck), but when a product comes with OC as part of it's name from a manufacturer...well its just smoke and mirrors (hopefully not the magic blue smoke)...

You're wrong. OC with video cards has always meant running above the IHV's reference clock.

trinibwoy said:
The ignorance floweth in this thread......why would you compare the cheapest street price of the GTX to the MSRP of the GT?

QFT!

air2k5 said:

stick with zipzoomfly.com, stay away from Biostar

So wait, is it the XFX version thats not released or is it the entire 7800GT line thats not out? Sorta confused because we are selling them at the Austin, TX Fry's Electronics already.

GVX said:

This card has no more bandwith than the 6800GT has. Why isn't Nvidia moving to 512 bit memory? How can they expect their cards to continue to climb in performance when all they do is increase fillrate and leave memory bandwith as the bottleneck!
512 bit memory bus would be REALLY complicated (and thus, REALLY expensive). I'd rather see new, innovative ways of making better use of the 256 bit bus.
Take a look at the performance between the 6600gt (128 bit bus) and previous gen 256bit bus cards. The 6600gt could do as well and often better due to an improved memory controller, and better use of the bandwidth available to it.

Well Zip Zoom Fly has taken the page down.
Now all we have is the screen grab on [H]ardOCP's main page and what exists in our browser caches.

eriamjh said:
So wait, is it the XFX version thats not released or is it the entire 7800GT line thats not out? Sorta confused because we are selling them at the Austin, TX Fry's Electronics already.
Can you link that up, cuz no e-pages have ever heard of a 7800 GT??? thanks. The XFX post was the first Ive seen, since it said overclock,maybe the standard GT will have a lower clock speed???? :cool:

GVX said:

Like the person said above me, 512bit anything is rediculously complicated to implement, let alone 256bit. I wouldn't want to see a video card like the 7800GTX with 512bit memory bandwidth because I don't have $1200 for a SINGLE video card lying around.

did notice they have 2 different brand gtx's in the 520 range so price is slipping ever lower... :p

PolarbearBigEd said:
Like the person said above me, 512bit anything is rediculously complicated to implement, let alone 256bit. I wouldn't want to see a video card like the 7800GTX with 512bit memory bandwidth because I don't have $1200 for a SINGLE video card lying around.
Well they're going to have to do something about the memory bandwidth. I mean, the frequency limits of GDDR3 are well within sight considering that Nvidia isn't raising the memory clockspeed of their cards anymore (the 7800GTX has no more bandwidth than the 6800U Extreme, and the 7800GT has the same bandwidth as the 6800GT) so the only other way to increase bandwidth is to increase the bus width.

eno-on said:
Take a look at the performance between the 6600gt (128 bit bus) and previous gen 256bit bus cards. The 6600gt could do as well and often better due to an improved memory controller, and better use of the bandwidth available to it.
Today 04:10 PM
The 6600GT is a prime example of how important memory bandwidth is IMO. The 6600GT has a higher fillrate than the 6800nu, and yet it gets absolutely destroyed by it when AA gets enabled: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-09.html

Perhaps it will be rediculously expensive to implement 512-bit memory but don't forget that, if they do choose to move to 512-bit, they won't have to use expensive memory like GDDR3 to obtain these insanely high frequencies that they're doing right now (600Mhz effective clock with a 512-bit bus will give the same bandwidth as the 7800GTX 256-bit bus is doing with 1200Mhz).

magoo said:
Can you link that up, cuz no e-pages have ever heard of a 7800 GT??? thanks. The XFX post was the first Ive seen, since it said overclock,maybe the standard GT will have a lower clock speed???? :cool:

Its not on the outpost.com website, but I'll take a look at the store on friday and check it out again.

trinibwoy said:

Indeed.

Regardless, if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on a GPU, why not get the real deal? I hate this move. First no AGP for the GTX and now a neutered "GT" line. Talk about a slap in the face! I bet a lot of people will buy this "GT" and think the situation is the same as the last generation.

ATI had better deliver the goods!

GVX said:
Well they're going to have to do something about the memory bandwidth. I mean, the frequency limits of GDDR3 are well within sight considering that Nvidia isn't raising the memory clockspeed of their cards anymore (the 7800GTX has no more bandwidth than the 6800U Extreme, and the 7800GT has the same bandwidth as the 6800GT) so the only other way to increase bandwidth is to increase the bus width.
And you'll notice that the AA/AF performance of the 7800s are quite a bit better than the 6800's. Which leads me to believe it's not all about memory bus.

The 6600GT is a prime example of how important memory bandwidth is IMO. The 6600GT has a higher fillrate than the 6800nu, and yet it gets absolutely destroyed by it when AA gets enabled: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-09.html
That has as much to do with the amount of ram (128 vs the 6800's 256) as anything else. It does fairly well compared to last gens 256bit bus cards. Theres the argument for better use of available bandwidth, rather than just tossing more raw bandwidt in teh form of bus-width at a card.
Perhaps it will be rediculously expensive to implement 512-bit memory but don't forget that, if they do choose to move to 512-bit, they won't have to use expensive memory like GDDR3 to obtain these insanely high frequencies that they're doing right now (600Mhz effective clock with a 512-bit bus will give the same bandwidth as the 7800GTX 256-bit bus is doing with 1200Mhz).
Who wants 600MHz memory on a 512bit card, that you are going to have to spend twice as much on due to needing 12+ layer PCB to handle the doubling of the traces to memory?

512Bit Memory Interface still remains too expensive, in order for it to be a good idea you would probably have to use at least GDDR 400MHZ, or 800MHZ DDR around the level the FX 5900 Vanilla had.

Currently all that can be done to increase memory bandwidth is to make better use of what we have got now, in combination of increasing memory speeds on GDDR3. Not much more we can do for the time being, or maybe we can use exotic memory technologies like RAMBUS XDR or something who knows.

Back