BFG 6600gt fan incident

Karissa

n00b
Hi, first time poster here.
I bought a BFG Geforce 6600gt oc agp and a few days ago when I was playing a game, I heard a weird noise from my pc. I disconnected the power cord right away and opened the case to see what happened. On my video card I noticed the round BFG sticker is gone. So I wrote bfgsupport and they say it's not common that the sticker would come off like that, but that they can replace the card for me if it has damaged the card.

Now, the fan on my card is running fairly loud (I can hear it from far away), is this normal? It has an uneven hum to it. How do I check if the fan is running ok? What are the fixes to quiet it down? (I'm noob at this, please bear with me)

Is it worth RMA'ing a loud fan? If so, does anyone know if RMA means I have to pay shipment both ways or one way only?

Thanks!

The sticker probably got sucked in by the fan and is blocking some airflow, thus making noises like those. Take a much closer look under the fan if you have not found the sticker.

Welcome to the forums.

Like Stryker said above...if you can't find the sticker, it is most likely inside your card's fan/heatsink assembly.

If you can't get it out with tweezers, then RMA it, cause anything you do to take it apart yourself will void your warranty.

Karissa said:
Hi, first time poster here.
I bought a BFG Geforce 6600gt oc agp and a few days ago when I was playing a game, I heard a weird noise from my pc. I disconnected the power cord right away and opened the case to see what happened. On my video card I noticed the round BFG sticker is gone. So I wrote bfgsupport and they say it's not common that the sticker would come off like that, but that they can replace the card for me if it has damaged the card.

Now, the fan on my card is running fairly loud (I can hear it from far away), is this normal? It has an uneven hum to it. How do I check if the fan is running ok? What are the fixes to quiet it down? (I'm noob at this, please bear with me)

Is it worth RMA'ing a loud fan? If so, does anyone know if RMA means I have to pay shipment both ways or one way only?

Thanks!

haha same thing happened to my bfg 6600GT pcie, i was changing the case fans, saw a bfg sticker lying on the bottom of the case and was like wtf where did that come from?

any way i just threw the sticker out and it DID get louder, but idc becuase mine started on fire so im getting a new one lol

Woah, fire?
I gave them a call and got a RMA number now. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. Thanks for the replies!

Just one word of advice...when you get your replacement TEST IT.

Run benchmarks to confirm that it is actually the exact same thing...don't assume. The only reason I say this is because I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. I RMA'd a BFG 6600GT PCI-X card, due to a noisy fan, and the one I received as a replacement was a 6600GT.

Sure, the card itself said 6600GT, but after running some benchmarks I discovered the following:

.......................Old .....New
3DMark 2001: 18528..... 17477
3DMark 2003: 8644..... 6651
3DMark 2005: 3784..... 2686

Pipelines:.......... 8 ..... 4
Shaders:........... 3 ..... 3
Core Clock........ 525 ..... 500
Memory Clock... 1050 ..... 1000

Needless to say the replacement was seriously messed up. How that ever passed BFG's quality control is beyond me. So, just cautioning you to double check your replacement card upon receiving it. I don't want you left with an inferior card that BFG claims is equivalent. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, was the fan that went bad, a multi-blade fan (i.e. lots of tiny blades), or a five-blade fan (thicker, but less of them)?

paranoid now, I just checked out my 6600 GT, still got it's sticker, for now

_Durandal_ said:
Just one word of advice...when you get your replacement TEST IT.

Run benchmarks to confirm that it is actually the exact same thing...don't assume. The only reason I say this is because I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. I RMA'd a BFG 6600GT PCI-X card, due to a noisy fan, and the one I received as a replacement was a 6600GT.

Sure, the card itself said 6600GT, but after running some benchmarks I discovered the following:

.......................Old .....New
3DMark 2001: 18528..... 17477
3DMark 2003: 8644..... 6651
3DMark 2005: 3784..... 2686

Pipelines:.......... 8 ..... 4
Shaders:........... 3 ..... 3
Core Clock........ 525 ..... 500
Memory Clock... 1050 ..... 1000

Needless to say the replacement was seriously messed up. How that ever passed BFG's quality control is beyond me. So, just cautioning you to double check your replacement card upon receiving it. I don't want you left with an inferior card that BFG claims is equivalent. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, was the fan that went bad, a multi-blade fan (i.e. lots of tiny blades), or a five-blade fan (thicker, but less of them)?

hmmm thanks for the heads up, i will double check it so thanks for that info, i hope they get it right... yes it did blow up read this thread as it also has pics

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=936921&page=1&pp=20

what is this sticker? im getting worried now, is it only on the BFG ones? cuz i have a gigabyte 6600gt

The sticker does absolutely nothing on the card, except for make the fan look pretty. If it did infact get sucked into the fan (highley unlikely) I would RMA it. You would physically see the fan running slower, but to waste your time and BFG's time just because a sticker is missing... yeah, not cool.

(Mine actually fell off when I was swapping cases, it was lying atop a PCI-E slot. I just stuck it back on and it hasn't come off since!)

I can't say much on the card as far as the BFG goes, but I'm running an eVGA 6600GT and I believe the fan setup is similar. The uneven noise would be a worry, and if it increased the noise the fan was putting off I'd certainly go with an RMA. As to answer your RMA question, all companies I've worked with in the past that were involved with RMA work paid the return shipping (I've even had Newegg reimburse shipping to them for a product that was refunded). Did you notice much sound before the sticker went missing? Either way, I'd stick with the aforementioned advice and run some benchmarks on the card when you get it in. Best of luck!

Thank you for the replies!
I took the card back to the store and they exchanged it with a new card. So no RMA needed for me after all. The new card is noticeably quieter so I'm happy. I'll run some benchmark on the new one. And Durandal, it has a multi-blade fan (I counted 11).

Thanks!

Back