OSX86 Cracked!

Ok ppl big new here. A group of elite hackers has managed to get OSX86 working on non-dev kit machines.

The group is located at #OSx86 on irc.osbetaarchive.com Channel Stats

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11490

And here are some screenies to prove this isn't just another silly rumor.

Actual pictures of the Dell laptop running OSX86 (sorry about the image quality)

Pics with system stats

More pics of general usage

Picture with [H]ard|Forum and system stats
News site pictures
If any of you doubt these images are real open them up in a hex editior and look for Photoshop tags. You won't find any.

EDIT: I'm not endorsing the actions of this group. I am just trying to prove that it has been done and giving ppl the tools to judge for themselves. Pure and simple.

EDIT This group was on slashdot! Check out the first link in the slashdot post.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/08/01/0421248.shtml?tid=179&tid=118&tid=3

EDIT The groups site is back up! w00t!

http://www.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

EDIT Oh my Godz!! The wiki was slashdotted into digital dust! Its back up now so just use the link above.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/08/11/1523221.shtml?tid=179&tid=174&tid=190
Mirrordot of www.osx86project.org

I'm going to give a hesitant vote towards "shens" on this one. There is no P4 processor at 1.7 Ghz on a 533 Mhz bus. Then again, it could just be misreporting the info. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty, that there has been an OSX version compatible with x86 hardware for a while now. It was demoed at a MAC CULT Conference 2 years ago to a very select few.

At least join the IRC channel and talk to some of the ppl before you make any judgements.

The battery strength icon in the tray indicates that it's being run on a laptop of some type; aren't there P4 laptops that run at 1.7ghz with a 533mhz bus?

TheGamerZ said:
The battery strength icon in the tray indicates that it's being run on a laptop of some type; aren't there P4 laptops that run at 1.7ghz with a 533mhz bus?
That's why I said it may be misreporting it. XP still doesn't it right with mobile chips.

smileyscout said:
At least join the IRC channel and talk to some of the ppl before you make any judgements.
Sorry, I don't do IRC. I stated a concept for and against the argument, but in the end it's a few years old anyway, so it's not really anything new or earth shattering. Apple developed the x86 version in case IBM couldn't supply them processors anymore. Once Apple announced it would be using Intel processors, why do you think the rumors spread so much about Apple finally selling it....because it's been known for a while that OXS x86 exists. I'm not saying this to be an ass....I'd agree it's possible, because it exists already...no hacking needed. The only question is if Apple will actually make it available or not.

i never go around to asking this.. but is OSX86 going to look at the cpu identifier for intel only?

TheGamerZ said:

if it is the mobile its reporting the cache wrong then.

Jason711 said:
i never go around to asking this.. but is OSX86 going to look at the cpu identifier for intel only?
it looks for an identifier on the motherboard - if it doesnt see it, it will typically not install. but if this is indeed cracked, it would install on any x86 platform.

SWEET!!!! where can I get it!!!

how will it cope with 2mouse buttons? since at this stage Apple have only support 2mouse-buttons in words

djnes said:
I'm going to give a hesitant vote towards "shens" on this one. There is no P4 processor at 1.7 Ghz on a 533 Mhz bus. Then again, it could just be misreporting the info. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty, that there has been an OSX version compatible with x86 hardware for a while now. It was demoed at a MAC CULT Conference 2 years ago to a very select few.

Not to mention the 533(133) multiplier does not evenly go into 1.7GHz. It would be 1.73GHz with a 13X multiplier.

As to x86 OS X running on a non-apple machine, I figured it was bound to happen sooner or later. I'd like to see it running on a Pentium M and/or Athlon 64 to see what the performance is like on those platforms.

...old news

I was going to start a thread like this last week but I figured I'td be locked withing a few hours.

Its too difficult to get up and running, you need to install Darwin 8.0.1 then upgrade to Darwin 8.1 by source. Then you need the mactel leak plus an assload of other modifications. And even if you get all that working, the interface is still very unstable and slow.

OSX86 will be released with ultra-super-huge-giganto security to keep it from running on non-Mac machines. Just like everything else on the market, within weeks of it's release (+or-) it will be cracked and you'll be able to run it on any PC.

Not that I care, I'm in the PC OS forums for a reason. ;)

Just saying it's not surprising if this turns out to be true.

You ppl need to go to the OSX86 irc channel before crying photoshop. geez. It isn't that hard to do. Just sit in the channel for a few minutes and ask a few questions and then post your feelings about the channel here. Not that hard ppl.

smileyscout said:
You ppl need to go to the OSX86 irc channel before crying photoshop. geez. It isn't that hard to do. Just sit in the channel for a few minutes and ask a few questions and then post your feelings about the channel here. Not that hard ppl.

Don't worry my friend, there are believers among us...

smileyscout said:

chill man joking...

smileyscout said:
Nice attitude, very convincing. Two people also made points that have not been answered yet. One stated the cache is wrong for a mobile processor....another said the speed isn't possible with that FSB. I understand your pissed because you posted something you thought was ground breaking, but found it it's old news....but that's no excuse for the attitude. IRC channels can spread as much fud as another other outlet. Don't believe everything you read online, or else I'll give you may paypal account where you can donate to save the world.

acascianelli said:
...old news

I was going to start a thread like this last week but I figured I'td be locked withing a few hours.

Its too difficult to get up and running, you need to install Darwin 8.0.1 then upgrade to Darwin 8.1 by source. Then you need the mactel leak plus an assload of other modifications. And even if you get all that working, the interface is still very unstable and slow.

Actually that was for the torrent that was a BACKUP of the dev mac. You have to install Darwin and all that other crap to get it working. However this one does not need to be cracked.

The new OSX x86 install disc was recently leaked and does'nt require you to do all that nonsense.

Now that you posted the pics of the laptop, I remember seeing these about 2 months ago on Neowin. They are fakes. When I get a chance, I'll see if Neowin has an archive. It was a Dell laptop running something like VNC to display OSX on the screen.

EDIT: Here's one link, and searching on google turned up hundreds of sites calling it a hoax.

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1132768

A quick way to get this thread locked is to call people names.

smileyscout said:
Ok I'm pretty sure that no matter how smart <I'm sorry but calling a person stupid is mildly rude and sorta mean but really shouldn't be a bannable offense. I have no intention of saying anything worse then stupid> you are you cant claim that this picture is a fake from months ago.

http://img307.imageshack.us/my.php?image=insp8xl.jpg

All you have to do is search on Google. You'll find many links showing the same pictures. It's a fake...not much more that can be said. Maybe it's possible to hack, and get running on an x86 laptop, and maybe the real OSX x86 has been leaked...but you can find it out for yourself that those pics are fake. As I've said three times now....search on google and you'll be amazed at the number of sites showing that it's fake.

I searched google. Found links saying that there was a hoax that only contained repeating text.....couldn't find the same image though

link?

Then please post to those other sites showing that the photo is a fake. If you really did find other sites I would expect to see the same pic or something very similar.

Neowin's search function isn't returning the entire article. Those are the same pictures that appeared on their frontpage.

On a side note, I've never seen anyone so vehemently fight the fact they were caught up in hype. I'm not even telling you it's impossible. I'm agreeing with you that it's possible, just that those particular pics were from a hoax, and yet you still want to argue with me. Un-freakin-believable. Do you always argue with people who post information supporting you, albeit with a slight correction?

djnes said:
Neowin's search function isn't returning the entire article. Those are the same pictures that appeared on their frontpage.

On a side note, I've never seen anyone so vehemently fight the fact they were caught up in hype. I'm not even telling you it's impossible. I'm agreeing with you that it's possible, just that those particular pics were from a hoax, and yet you still want to argue with me. Un-freakin-believable. Do you always argue with people who post information supporting you, albeit with a slight correction?

We got another GreNME on our hands by the look of it

eeyrjmr said:
That would be a compliment to be compared to GreNME. He solves a huge amount of problems, and has contributed many many stickies to this subforum.

To Djnes

I'm just posting alot about this because I am in contact with the person who took those pictures today. If you are so sure this is a hoax then go to the IRC channel of the OSX86 Classic Beta group (which is clearly stated in my first post) come back and post some logs proving what I am posting about is non-existant. Until you do so I will continue to respond to each of your, rather lame, posts.

eeyrjmr said:

yea, another logical person who has a clue and tries to reel people in when they get a little, ummm, overexcited... :rolleyes:

I already said before, I do not do IRC. You really need to step back and think about it for a second. Did you take the pictures or were you standing there while the pictures were taken? No. So your comments mean nothing more or less than mine. Deal with it. I stand by my comments that they were on neowin a while ago. Please don't be gullible enough to believe everything you read online. All I'm saying is those pictures were online before. I could do the "holy repost, batman jokes", but I'm just going to plainly state it.

Here's a lively discussion about the whole concept, to show I am agreeing with you that it's possible..yet again:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=911441&highlight=Dell+OSX+running

As I've said before, I agree with the concept, just that those pictures are not new, and were part of a hoax. Your "proof" is hardly worth mentioning either. I could say on an IRC channel that Jessica Simpson is me new girlfriend, and that she's intelligent, and that certainly wouldn't make it true, would it? What if I posted a pic of me standing next to her in a park in NYC? Does it still make my comments true? Certainly not. It's also one of the primary lessons you learn in any IT degree program...judging the source of information, and learning to take it for what it's worth. So yet again, I'll state that I agree with the concept, and have even posted links to say so.

This argument is worthless, because neither of us has any solid proof. I'll stand by my statements that the same pics were on Neowin quite sometime ago, detailed and explained to be a hoax using VNC. If you don't want to agree, oh well, I certainly didn't expect everyone to have read the article. But you really should do some reading about judging sources, with a little reading on the side about being hypocritical. Everything you've accused me of, your guilt of yourself.

ccotenj said:
yea, another logical person who has a clue and tries to reel people in when they get a little, ummm, overexcited... :rolleyes:

just wait and you will see...

[Begin Editorial]
I firmly believe that OSX86 is the 2nd step in a well thought out plan by apple to take on MS head to head. The first step of course was the move to the unix based code that OSX is based on currently. Apple will (and is right to do so) play up the cost effectiveness of intel hardware but I firmly believe that the end goal is to produce an OS that will run on any X86 pc in the next 5 years. This step of moving to intel hardware is likely the biggest technical hurdle and I envision that after the successful transition to x86, intel will be about 70% done with the total transition. The other major hurdle will be to develop a 3rd party driver certification that I can only imagine will be far stricter than WHQL and even longhorn's driver cert. At first I would look for certification by only the leaders in addins and periphrials and later a wider range of apple certified drivers. by 2010, MS will have company, and Apple will continue to thrive...this is coming from a guy who loves MS....to be honest, I am kinda looking forward to a newer, cleaner and clearly superior OS.
[End Editorial]

Mysogonist said:
[Begin Editorial]
I firmly believe that OSX86 is the 2nd step in a well thought out plan by apple to take on MS head to head. The first step of course was the move to the unix based code that OSX is based on currently. Apple will (and is right to do so) play up the cost effectiveness of intel hardware but I firmly believe that the end goal is to produce an OS that will run on any X86 pc in the next 5 years. This step of moving to intel hardware is likely the biggest technical hurdle and I envision that after the successful transition to x86, intel will be about 70% done with the total transition. The other major hurdle will be to develop a 3rd party driver certification that I can only imagine will be far stricter than WHQL and even longhorn's driver cert. At first I would look for certification by only the leaders in addins and periphrials and later a wider range of apple certified drivers. by 2010, MS will have company, and Apple will continue to thrive...this is coming from a guy who loves MS....to be honest, I am kinda looking forward to a newer, cleaner and clearly superior OS.
[End Editorial]

Agree.
Just think how cheaply Apple will be able to knock out x86 hardware OSX computers.
a 1/2 decent x86-Windows computer can be bought for ~£400, if apple can knock their x86-MAC's out for say £600 with decent hardware and a rock-solid Operating system with all the user-interface and support that Apple has, then MS have a serious threat.

Apple *might* even tolerate the existance of some hacked x86-OSX to get the userbase up, I mean they can at later dates just lock it down with hardware, a serious strength that Apple have over MS

Apple are a hardware-software vendor, MS are Primarily a software vendor

lol djnes I don't really care. I've just been trying to generate traffic for the channel. This morning it was at 30 or so and now its at 199.

Anyway here are some links to prove the ClassicBeta site is real and only down because of some stupid server issues and proof the IRC channel exists.

http://www.r-type.ca/aseeder/osx86.html
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...beta.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page+osx86&hl=en
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...cbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Rebuttal+osx86&hl=en

Those are both Google cache links. The first is the classic beta home page and the second is a rebuttal to an article on slashdot about DRM not being included in OSX 86 dev kits.

I would like to see the same pics I have provided coming from different sites though. :p

All in all none of this matters that much. Its only a beta version of OSX 86. The real hype will come when this group (hopefully it lasts long enough) "fixes" the retail version of OSX 86.

Back