[H]ardOCP Hardware Workshop video

Just a little FYI...

My recording (see the File Rush link in Steve's post) starts with about 5-10 minutes of t-shirt throwing and ends shortly after that one fellow tried to claim his prize too late.

141 minutes of [H]ard Footage. ;)

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the Carmack video when I said 94 minutes. It's actually 141 minutes. :eek:

Do these have the Happy Birthday song to Steve? I want to show one of my friends that a hundreds of geeks singing in unison actually soundes pretty darn good.

BTW Thanks to Kyle and everyon who made this possible! While i dident get any hardware, it was an amazing event and i got my [H]ard Tshirt finally :D

Haha, I'm afraid none of my videos have the birthday footage in them. Although I tried to record everything I coulde, QCTV wasn't acting all too friendly at times.

Needless to say: there were a lot of pink blocks and sound outages. It could've been much worse though, and I suspect that it'll only get better in the years to come.

Since there's not a lot of activity in the thread, I've decided to copy over the notes I took during the Workshop. Feel free to quote them, bash them, or ignore them.

QuakeCon 2005 - [H]ard|OCP Workshop Outline (8/13) (Times in PM EDT):

- 1:12: Kyle introduces himself - Works for HardOCP.com; 6-7 years of doing QuakeCon
- 1:13: Tons of hardware to give away from all of the sponsers
- 1:14: More shirt tossing
- 1:14: Kyle starts throwing out really small shirts to the "little guys"
- 1:15: 8 Speakers - 1.5 hours of technology, then Kyle will talk, then give stuff away
- 1:16: Manager comes up, tells him to be careful when he throws memory out because of the lights
- 1:16: Last of the shirts being thrown out now
- 1:17: Kyle asks for everyone to sit down, session begins
- 1:17: Talks about the event being streamed
- 1:17: Logitech here - Chris Pait and Eric Charleston (SP?) now coming up on stage from Logitech
- 1:18: Three new products being announced (were already announced on the internet)
- 1:18: "Cut to the chase, show the numbers"
- 1:19: G-Series - announced three months ago
- 1:19: G5, G7, and G15 to be shown
- 1:20: G5 corded mouse is for extreme performance; USB, 16-bit data format, 2000 DPI
- 1:20: "25% Faster" depending on the surface
- 1:21: Complaints over weight in MX510 (too much, too little) led to them including a weight-tuning system so people can add or remove as much weight as they want
- 1:22: Feet are similiar to teflon, but different material
- 1:23: Change the DPI to 400, 800, etc. and monitor through built-in LEDs
- 1:23: MX1000 was a gaming mouse, but new laser engine makes mice "gaming grade"
- 1:23: New laser mice use 2.4 GHz.
- 1:24: New batteries in cordless mice weigh only 18 grams; each battery lasts about 2-3 days
- 1:25: Batteries are swappable (mice include 2)
- 1:25: Can change whether battery displays "critical" at 30% or whatever number you like
- 1:26: Chris comes up to talk about keyboards
- 1:26: G15 Keyboard - Keyboard for Gaming; straight design, backlit characters (blue) on keys, 18 programmable macro keys (three sets, 54 programmable macros total), LCD 160x43 pixel screen to display information such as CPU Load, CPU Temp, Network Bandwidth; Brothers In Arm: Earned In Blood (SP?) to support the LCD feature for sure (show where squad leader is, etc.)
- 1:29: Macro programming software will be "on-the-fly"; macros can be set up in-game
- 1:29: Public SDK on every keyboard CD for people to pop up any info they want on the LCD
- 1:30: G15 can help route headphones and mouse cords; has game mode switch (windows key on in windows - mode off, windows key off in games - mode on)
- 1:31: More free shirts
- 1:32: Prize information, etc.
- 1:33: G5 mouse being given away - not available yet!
- 1:33: G7 Cordless; no G15 keyboard give-away
- 1:34: Andrew Fear - Software Product Manager @ nVidia now on stage
- 1:35: Oregami Contest tonight
- 1:36: 7800 GT being shown on stage - Quiet fan (no more "leaf blowers")
- 1:37: SM3, SLI support, etc.
- 1:37: Fear does driver releases, deals with software development
- 1:38: Slideshow... not going down; taking questions
- 1:39: Won't talk about Fall card releases
- 1:39: Updated drivers for laptop question - laptop drivers fall behind and nVidia recognizes this
- 1:40: Within about a month, nVidia will start enabling driver support for *some* laptops
- 1:41: ATI is also working on their drivers as well (Kyle)
- 1:41: nForce 3 64-bit driver expected around same time as laptop driver
- 1:43: Giving away a 7800 GT
- 1:43: Giving away another 7800 GT
- 1:44: Fear is done talking
- 1:44: Keith Cole with VIA is coming up
- 1:45: Sponsering "Girls of Destruction" in Ms. QuakeCon Competition (Q3A)
- 1:45: DDR1-400 doing well, DDR800 on the horizon
- 1:46: VIA still supporting S3 graphics
- 1:47: DX9 support will be crucial with Vista just around the corner
- 1:47: PCI will be around for a long time, maybe "longer than ISA"
- 1:48: SATA2 support is popping up quick
- 1:48: C7 Processor is doing very well from VIA; replaced C3
- 1:49: New ultra thin notebooks based off of C7M should hit US early next year
- 1:49: Nano ITX is an "engineering challenge"'; VIA hopes to release by end of 05'
- 1:50: S3 graphics: competition with ATI and nVidia? He says yes, VIA can see competitive cards based off of S3 chipset down the road
- 1:50: Keith finished; 10 VIA K8T890 boards being given away
- 1:53: Last K8T890 board given away
- 1:54: AGEIA's Co-Founder/CEO Manju Hegde comes up (one of the PhysX folks)
- 1:54: Why did they build a physics chip? - "Physics in games are guilty of all the things they don't do in games"
- 1:57: Why doesn't something explode at point-blank with a gun? Why doesn't a car crumble when it slams into a cliff? - Today's platforms can't handle that kind of processing (which is why you need a physics chip)
- 1:58: Examples: First-person shooters - Where's the blood?
- 1:58: Physics chip can simulate fluid movement
- 1:59: GPU's and CPU's can't handle physics because of other processes like AI and sound processing (CPU); can't do animations and physics together with just today's CPU/GPU combo; only 10% of CPU is dedicated to physics; CPU not built to deal with high-tech physics processes
- 2:01: GPU's now doing lighting, geometry, and other calculative work which makes it hard for the GPU to also handle physics; GPU's built to handle "visual aspect"
- 2:01: PhysX will be a complement to GPU and essentially the CPU
- 2:03: Support for rigid bodies and fluids (volumetric fluids) by years end with physics chip; fluids can "move bodies around"
- 2:03: Support for "turbulance" and other physics-related attributes will come eventually
- 2:05: Holds up early version of PhysX card
- 2:06: Roadmap: In 2006 - Support for real-time hair (swing people by hair, etc.), clothing
- 2:09: Multiplayer games are a challenge; will require a bit of work on the development end of the table
- 2:10: Consoles coming out next year are "powerful"
- 2:10: Physics over the next 10 years will be a "million times better"
- 2:11: Lava scene, LOTR, they wanted to use 50 million particles but had to use 10 million - in years, they'll be able to use 50 million for that same scene
- 2:11: Manju done talking
- 2:12: Harry Yen - Product Manager @ Abit - hits the stage
- 2:12: Discusses ABIT's special RMA service - Apply for RMA online and only have to pay for shipping; receive new/fixed product in 10 days
- 2:15: ABIT offers cross-shipping
- 2:17: Holding up motherboard with "silent" cooling on North Bridge (available for both AMD and Intel)
- 2:17: Harry is done. AMD Athlon 64 3500+ being given away on two ABIT motherboards; AMD will talk soon
- 2:20: Justin Cooney from ATI - the "ISV Guy" now speaking
- 2:21: Clarifies that ATI has been offering Mobility drivers for awhile now
- 2:21: Talking about Crossfire; taking questions on X360 at the end of his spot; talking about ATI's commitment to cell phone technology
- 2:22: Crossfire supports four different modes - (1) "Super Tiling" screen split like checkerboard, one card renders one checker, one card the next; (2) split screen in middle - one card does top half, one does bottom; (3) one card does one frame, one card does next (not supported by all games); (4) Super anti-aliasing mode (double anti-aliasing - 2x to 4x, 4x to 8x, etc.)
- 2:25: New Crossfire drivers, along with vid card drivers, will be available each month
- 2:26: Xpress 200 chipset is "overclocking"-friendly
- 2:26: X800/X850 owners need only to own a Crossfire-enabled video card (coming out in Oct/Nov, respectively) to take advantage of the "80% performance increase" offered by Xpress 200 chipset
- 2:27: Holds up OpenGL 1.0-enabled cell phone; OpenGL 2.0 ES will be coming soon to cell phones
- 2:28: Question time. Will ATI launch new graphics cards aside from Crossfire-enabled cards? Answer - R520 will be shipped in September, Crossfire version will come later (of R520)
- 2:29: Driver issue with laptops = manufactoring problem, not nVidia/ATI problem
- 2:31: Linux support for ATI drivers - Can't really answer question; Kyle: ATI gives better support on Linux side of the board
- 2:31: Putting X360 in perspective: 720p by default (all games), 4x AA, 60 FPS, 900 Shader operations per second on every pixel, 500 million shader ops per second, 10mb eRAM (high-tech stuff) ram onboard
- 2:33: GPU in Xbox 360 vs. Cards of today - Unified Shader Architecture will come to PC next year; 48 total pipes on X360; eRAM will probably not be seen on PC cards for a long time if ever
- 2:35: PCI-E TV Tuner: Dependent on OEM side of the board
- 2:35: Cooney done talking. X800XL cards being given away.
- 2:37: Xtasy cards being given away
- 2:38: Justin Radica from Falanx Microsystems in Norway
- 2:38: Company is from Norway; works on mobile GPU architecture
- 2:40: Technology can render 16x AA on cell phones; technology is scaleable
- 2:42: Use technology to bring games like Final Fantasy to mobile phones
- 2:43: Mali200 is the name of their 3D mobile core
- 2:44: Play 3d games, video, etc. through one pipeline
- 2:45: Multiplayer mobile gaming
- 2:46: Sony's adoption of OpenGL 2.0 ES means that games that come out from PS3 can be built for PSP and even your mobile phone
- 2:49: Q&A Time: Falanx will be at E3 06'
- 2:50: Next set of phones will have memory capabilities for such support as SD cards; people might be able to move content around from such devices as PS3 to their cell phones in the coming years
- 2:51: Drivers will be controlled by manufactorers like Motorola
- 2:52: Partnerships with Motorola, LG established already
- 2:52: LCD screens aren't advancing fast enough, which is where the 16x AA comes in
- 2:53: Justin has finished.
- 2:53: Charles Mitual (SP?) (AMD Project Strategist) and David Musney (AMD PR)
- 2:56: Dual Core coming around for notebooks (?); no date specified
- 2:56: AMD's slowest dual core "kicks their ass" (Intel/Apple?)
- 2:59: Sempron - Where's performance going with 64-bit? Same general "amount of uplift" from 32-bit to 64-bit processing, so it's more application-dependent than anything
- 3:00: Not much was changed with 64-bit Sempron
- 3:01: Change in socket coming, but 939 will last awhile even with DDR2 rising up the ladder; new 939 products should be expected for at least another year
- 3:03: Next socket is a "ways off", so get 939 now - Safe buy
- 3:03: AMD won't move to DDR2 until infrastructure is ready
- 3:05: Dual/multi-threaded applications could get as much as a 20% speed increase, but Carmack noted that there were a lot of problems with single-core processors especially when it comes to games
- 3:08: No big advantages to multi-core/multi-threaded-enabled games for "at least 2-3 years"
- 3:10: More boxes of t-shirts to be given away, unknown amount given away already.
- 3:10: AMD will probably leave FX processors unlocked, doesn't see other AMD products opening up anytime soon
- 3:11: Competition with Centrino in market? AMD's Turion technology is coming around, didn't comment on whether or not it was "better" per say
- 3:12: AMD working with Apple? Right now it's up to Apple and AMD is willing to commit if they come to them
- 3:13: Question about overclocking, especially with the ability for VGA cards to overclock: AMD will stick with its current policy
- 3:16: FX-53 no longer being manufactored; FX's mission statement: Remain at the top-end of speed which is why there's no other AMD processors running at 2.8 GHz. standard
- 3:18: Last AMD question: Why aren't we seeing nVidia/VIA chipsets in laptops? Because's of the OEMs
- 3:19: Charles and David done talking. Two more Abit motherboards with 3500+ A64's being given away.
- 3:21: Intel is a key sponser of QuakeCon, so give em' some respect!
- 3:21: Intel was invited to speak, as well as last year, and "declined to be here" according to Kyle
- 3:21: BFG backpacks being given away along with a bunch of other stuff.
- 3:23: Feed is breaking up pretty bad, but this could be the end of the Workshop minus the give-away's
- 3:27: Bunch of Thermaltake Big Typhoon's being given away
- 3:28: Corsair "Pro" memory w/LED (2x512) packages being given away (No RAM throwing this year)
- 3:29: Someone tried claiming a prize way after their number was read - Nice try bud (Crowd boos)
- 3:30: Logitech PS2 vibration/force feedback controller being given away; "For the woman of the house" - Kyle
- 3:30: "If you're caught using them inappropriately in the BYOC area, you'll be asked to leave" - Kyle
- 3:33: *Ending feed record here*, give-away's still going on

I didn't quote Kyle in my notes, but the funniest part was that damn guy that tried claiming their prize late. I believe Kyle said something like "Get your shit together man" or something like that. :p

what program do you use to play a nvs file from the downloaded torrent. I have never seen these before. I was planing on attending this year and my brother had to move from houston to tulsa on that saturday he called my friday night. Make me kind of mad too. So would like to check out what I missed.

The_Super said:
what program do you use to play a nvs file from the downloaded torrent. I have never seen these before. I was planing on attending this year and my brother had to move from houston to tulsa on that saturday he called my friday night. Make me kind of mad too. So would like to check out what I missed.
You'll need Winamp in order to play it.

Incidently, I forgot to sign up this year in the midst of all the webpage renovation that took place between February and June. Next year though, I'll be reporting live from the event if nothing goes wrong between now and then.

is there a way to get a tracklisting of what music was played after the workshop was over? I stayed untill the end of the music, which freakin rocked. If anyone can email me the list or a way to get it, hit me up at [email protected] or PM me

Thanks so much for the video. I really want to go to one of these sometime. The torrent's doing very well btw, currently pulling down 700+ kB/s.

Oldie said:
Thanks so much for the video. I really want to go to one of these sometime. The torrent's doing very well btw, currently pulling down 700+ kB/s.
Glad to hear.

I just can't help myself...after seeing all the pictures of Kyle at the [H]ardware workshop...I thought we should have a caption contest:

a.) keep it clean, people from outside the forums will be reading this:

b.) everything else goes

caption_kyle.jpg

caption_kyle2.jpg

caption_kyle3.jpg

#1) Oh sure, they leave my eyes red but put the caption bubble in.

#2) Yes, I certainly did order extra cheese, no I didn't get it!

#3) Why is this guy trying to hold my hand?

:)

#1 "Look, don't make me take the other half of the prizes..."
#2 *To himself* Maybe I can sneak away now and no one will see me
#3 "We haven't set a date yet, but i'll be sure to send you an invitation"

Still getting 600K+ from 20 seeds...

Can't wait to see it.

@ #3: "If I stick my pinky out on my left hand...they won't notice we're holding hands."

EDIT: All done...less than 10 minutes :p

Is his hand in his pocket? Kinda hard to tell with the black pants and black background.

KYLE.JPG

caption_kyle.jpg

"I just want to assure you all, I still have my Hummer, even though gas prices are ridiculous!"

caption_kyle2.jpg

"I honestly wish this guy would finish speaking already!"

caption_kyle3.jpg

"The nerve of that guy trying to get in late, WAY AFTER I announced his number! If I find out who he is on my forums, he is banned!"

One I just thought of for this one:

caption_kyle.jpg

"Just to let you guys know, I lowered my cholesterol today, and lowered my insurance on my Hummer with Geico"

1: So there's no takers for the free Infinium shares?
2: ...I could kill them all with my mind powers!
3: Man, that's a short chick, no, don't look...

i) Im serious, it DOES play best on Alienware.
ii)I wonder why eVGA didnt send us any stuff to give away???
iii) how many times do I have to say this, the girl is NOT with this guy in the hat, and LET GO OF MY HAND!
Thanks for the video playback. It looks like a very cool event. :D

seems like Steve thinks there are to many people on the forums and wants Kyle to start a banning spree or he wouldn't have taken the pictures he did.

epicengr said:
seems like Steve thinks there are to many people on the forums and wants Kyle to start a banning spree or he wouldn't have taken the pictures he did.

Heh....you know....Kyle has the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever met. Putting up with me for the last 6 years is PROOF :D

Steve said:
Heh....you know....Kyle has the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever met. Putting up with me for the last 6 years is PROOF :D

Not for the thoughts that went through my head of what could be in them bubbles. You said to keep it nice so I will by not putting my thoughts up.

Back