My 1st Mod Attempt Part 1 ill Call it - Green!

bradyapba

Gawd
Well, i decided after years of plain cases, i would try to mod a case and go to water cooling.

Well heres part one.. the new case, the sleeving, cabl emanagement, uv lights, fans, etc.

Heres the new case a Lian-Li PC-7AW Silver Aluminum Mid-Tower ATX Case:

pc7apluswindowbig.jpg

And heres my 1st modding attempt... cutting a whole right above the MB tray to route some of the power cables.

DSCN0515a.JPG

second pic is of the holes i cut out for the quick connects for the cutom water case im going to build.

DSCN0516a.JPG

Here are the new UV 120mm Fan (intake and exhuast)
THey are from VoyeurMods, and are Galaxy fans, and they are LOUD... anyone with ideas on how to quiet them, please let me know.

DSCN0517a.JPG

DSCN0518a.JPG

Heres a pic with some of the UV sleeving on, and some of the chrome loom i used on the PSU cables, and with the CPU and VC installed now too

DSCN0519a.JPG

Heres the Quick Connects installed.

DSCN0520a.JPG

Heres some more pics to show the UV sleeving and chrome loom

DSCN0521a.JPG

DSCN0522a.JPG

heres the hole i cut to improve the cable management from the back side

DSCN0523a.JPG

Heres a pic with the window on

DSCN0524a.JPG

Next up with be the bezels for LL cases for the ROm drives, installation of the UV lights.. and pics of it glowing green.

Looks good!

THey are from VoyeurMods, and are Galaxy fans, and they are LOUD... anyone with ideas on how to quiet them, please let me know.

What about a fan controller to slow them down a bit?

So here's where you're posting your water cooling build.............. :D Looks good so far........... ;) Looks sort of like mine except mins a lot older Lian-Li................ :eek:

Hahahaha Bio you found me

I just wasn't sure if i should post my non water pics in the water forum... i will be posting all my water pics there...

i haven't had a chance to do any of the water stuff becuase of the surgery yesterday.

Ok I have to ask, are those removable hose barbs? If so where the heck did you find them at?

Sweet system btw, not too many neon green ones out there :)

bradyapba said:
Hahahaha Bio you found me

I just wasn't sure if i should post my non water pics in the water forum... i will be posting all my water pics there...

i haven't had a chance to do any of the water stuff becuase of the surgery yesterday.
Hope everything went well with your surgery and that you have a speedy recovery.............. ;) We're all waiting to see your project get finished........... :D

Doing well Bio, thanks for asking.. all went well.. now in day three, and can finally bend a little bit, etc.. so i thought I would show the rest of the pics for the 1st part of this mod...water cooling to come.

The pics show how I attached the UV lights to the window casing and how it JUST fit in... the rest is jut the glowing goodness the best I could.. its hard to take good picks of UV.

DSCN0530a.JPG

DSCN0535a.JPG

DSCN0538a.JPG

DSCN0539a.JPG

DSCN0542a.JPG

DSCN0544a.JPG

Here are pics of the High flow quick connect water barbs.. these are so i can quickly disconnect my external water box, and have no spill, no mess, easy piesy.

heres a pic of me holding it together connected

DSCN0546a.JPG

here it is disconnected on my desk

DSCN0547a.JPG

Here it is showing the opening

DSCN0548a.JPG

Here it is together, but no pushed together

DSCN0549a.JPG

Now here it is pushed together connected

DSCN0550a.JPG

Here is where you just press down on the connect.. and poof pops right out, and no water loss!

DSCN0551a.JPG

And lastly here it is unconnected right before i snap it in, the one below it is snapped in

DSCN0552a.JPG

I got them from US plastics thanks to Bio-Hazzards tip!

oh yeah, another minor mod.. was adding the LL bezels, to keep the nice front... heres what they do.

DSCN0553a.JPG

DSCN0554a.JPG

DSCN0555a.JPG

Of course when I was building my rig Icould never find those!

Anyway, thanks alot for the pics to show how they work, and letting me know where I can purchase them at!

Keep us posted with the progress on your rig :)

Hey brady, is this the place you bought those fittings at :confused:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=6917&product%5Fid=7413#

Which one is the one you have, I am looking for the screw in the middle of the fitting so I can put it though my case like yours is.

This looks promising, i'm going to keep my eye out on this mod.

I've heard that those quick disconnects dripped a little bit of water when you disconnect them, so you might want to have some paper towel when disconnecting them.

whats your point altec? Did i do something wrong? Are people not supposed to ask questions/ make comments?

Dark Fog,

i used these part #'S.

60695 1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body

60814 1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert

Excellent thanks brady,

Oh and about altec's comment, he thought this thread should have gone in the worklogs section, thats all ;)

ah, well i suppose it is im sure if a powers at be want to move it they will...or i can start it over there, if thats what they want.

Your case looks great, now if your external water box looks half as good, you'll be good to go............ :D

You should be very pleased with the quick disconnects, they worked out great for my project................ :cool:
But you already knew that, didn't you Brady.................. :p

bradyapba said:
ah, well i suppose it is im sure if a powers at be want to move it they will...or i can start it over there, if thats what they want.
A moderator will move it when they read this thread ;)

Oh one more thing, does USP accept paypal?

bradyapba said:
whats your point altec? Did i do something wrong? Are people not supposed to ask questions/ make comments?

Yes. But the other dude cover'd it.

bradyapba said:

nawh dude, didn't do anything wrong. Shake them haters off... and that's a nice case you got there.

I have been looking everywhere for those disconnects! Thanks for the linkage. :D

p.s. nice mods. :cool:

Thanks boys I see what altec is saying, i really DID thought i had put this in the worklog section, and not the Cad Mod Gallery section, a slight fau pa on my part, i just did understand what he was saying at 1st, it wasn't clear...

GLad i could help out with thw quick connects...which of course i got the Idea from Bio! Thanks again Mr. Hazzard!

I picked up some more stuff to do the external Water case with, so hopefully i will be getting some of that done through-out the week! With Pics to add!

Thanks guys!

Chris

I saw the Lian-Li case and thought you were about to ruin it with your "first mod attempt". I have to admit, it looks good.

awww thanks protoformX!!!!! And trust i was scared too about ruining that case with my 1st mod attempt!

I have never in all my years and many computers, ever paid more than $40 for a case. I was very scared i was going to hurt her too.. but she came through just fine :)

ok update time.

As I said before those UV 120mm fans from VoyeurMod were LOUD, like a jet engine taking off.... so it was time for a controller.. the Vantec Silver NXP-205... Wish it went down to 5v, but i guess will have to do. Also, the lights grow blue.. not green, like my theme. so i thought would switch them out....but s you can see, that turned into a big problem..

DSCN0559a.JPG

DSCN0560a.JPG

DSCN0561a.JPG

DSCN0562a.JPG

DSCN0565a.JPG

Heres a pic of the 3mm lights i m going to take out.
DSCN0566a.JPG

Heres the Solder i took out

DSCN0567a.JPG

Hey look, I got a green one in, and too work!

DSCN0568a.JPG

And thats where the fn ends boys and girls. It would be the last one i could get to work... 8 green LED later.. it would seem everytime i touched it with the solder, it ould just go out and stop working.. i dont know if it was too hot or what... but i gave up, and just ended up clipping all the lights... it still looks good in the front of th case, with no glow.. i may at some point, put some UV wire in there so it glows.

DSCN0571a.JPG

DSCN0572a.JPG

Need any extra LEDS, all of a sudden i have plenty
DSCN0576a.JPG

Oh yeah, another pisser was the back outlet 120MM JUST wouldn't make it to the vantec controller.. like and inch sort.. so i have to use like and extra 1 FT cable(that I uv sleeved) for and extra inch.. that sucked.
DSCN0583a.JPG

Oh yeah, got some Solder on the TV tray.. the wife was NOT happy
DSCN0582a.JPG

Heres what it looks like

DSCN0586a.JPG

Heres the exra cabling now

DSCN0584a.JPG

All i have to say is.. 7V good... 12 v bad!!! Man when i turned those fans down it was music to my ears!!! So nice and quiet now, I love it!

New p, the PSU mod for the WC external Kit.

ok PSU time..

I thought I was all set was a 500Watt PSU i had laying arounf that came with my $40 broadway case. It tells how what kind of PSU it is, light as a feather, but should be fine for my water kit... when it wont turn on when I plug it in! Turns out you need to have it plugged into a mobo to make it work... first the LED's, not the PSU aint corporating... ell all I had to do was post a message on the Hard Forums... and someone had the answer... So I tried his advice and it worked!

1st i had to cut the MOBO connector, after opening the PSU case that is.
DSCN0577a.JPG

Opps i think i just voided the warranty

DSCN0580a.JPG

Next was to connect the 1 green wire and 1 black wire (there is like 6) together, so to "jump" the mobo connector.

DSCN0578a.JPG

I then wrapped them all up in some electrical tape, tuck it away, and i was done with it!

DSCN0579a.JPG

Here it is all wrapped up, done!

DSCN0581a.JPG

Done right? Nope.. i log back into the Hard forums.. and i had a few messages that said. make SURE none of the wires are touching. SO back in I go, going to wrap EACH wire,then retape. Heres my rewrapping.

DSCN0595a.JPG

DSCN0596a.JPG

DSCN0597a.JPG

It works like a charm, i hooked up 4 fans to it!

I cut all the wires fron the ATX connector off at the PCB, much cleaner that way, But then again, you'll have a hard tim ever using the PSU for a computer again if you decide to ever put it back together again. But it can be done.................... :D

Well, i dont think i would ever use it in a PC again. It was a pretty crappy unit, but basically came free in a $45 Broadway case. It is 500W, but in all the wrong places, and it flucuated like crazy. I dont think I would ever use it in a PC again.. so its a perfect fit in my water box.

your probably right, but those guys made me nervous!! And then all i could think of was my pump stopped working, then over heating.. and and and

i then wrapped each wire :)

maybe i should of not had so much coffee yesterday :)

Looking good :) I too am working on my first time mod. We have similar aims, e.g. cable sleeving (yellow for me), UV lights, watercooling ;). Also I love those quickconnect barbs, they would be PERFECT for my case, but I live in the UK so I cant get them I dont think :/

hey man nice work!

I am having trouble mounting the cold cathode tubes (same tubes, same case) and I've tried everything. I am glad I saw your post, because I never thought about mounting it on the window!! duh! :eek:

Can you take some more pictures of how you did that? And explain

thanks brady

Dragon,

USPlastics Ships all over the world. You should be able to get them no problem.

Whiteboy,

ill try to post more pics and a better explanation tonight!

Chris

Ok Whiteboy,

Heres the best I could do.

The Cathodes are attached to the windows with Velcro. The Converter box is attached with Velcro. The 1st Cathode is attached in the bottom part of the Window, the other is attached to the back part of the window, by the 120mm exhust fan out the back. The converter is attched in the bottom back part of the window. I tried to get the lights as close to the window as possible. This is so you can have a little room to take the window on and off with no problem. It took 2 sort of dry fittings i sort of held them in place to make sure i could open and close the case. Its a tight fit, but it works. I then ran the wires tooked inbetween the fan and the side of the case, wrapped so they had a little bulk.. they stay tucked in really well.. ran them up to the top of the case, where there are plugged into the power supply.

Hope this helps!

Chris
DSCN0625a.JPG

DSCN0629a.JPG

DSCN0627a.JPG

DSCN0628a.JPG

DSCN0626a.JPG

Back