Help with A8V and Athlon x2

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I am in need of a little help and I figure this was the best place to ask. I have been running a A64 3800+ in a Asus A8V deluxe MB for about 8 months. I recently decided to make the move to a x2 and that is when my problems started. Installation was fine and I was able to boot the computer up with the new x2 in it. It booted right to windows and there were no problems. Since I was moving from single core to dual core I figured it would be worth while to do a clean install of XP.

Before I did the clean re-install I looked at the cpu temps and the idle temps were at 45 C. This was a little high and so I figured that I had put too much arctic silver on the HS. BTW the heatsink I am using is the Swiftech 6400 V.

This is when the problems start. I couldn't get the heatsink off the processor. I pulled and twisted gently and finally the HS came off. Unfortuantly the processor also came off with it. So I basically yanked the processor out of the socket. The first thing that I checked was the pins on the bottom and the processor seemed to be intact.

So I thought, whew got lucky. Went to re-install windows and halfway through I get a bunch of dfile copy errors and then the install hangs. I tried 5 or 6 more time and its the same problem. So now I am thinking the I screwed the processor. Took the machine apart and dropped in the 3800+. Same thing, file copy errors and no install.

My question to you guys is, do you think that these problems stem soley from the yanking of the processor out of the socket? If so it sounds like that I need to replace the motherboard. The only reason that I am not sure myself that the motherboard is now dead is that the computer boots and I can get into the bios and get part of the way through the install. I figured that if the socket itself were damaged then the computer wouldn't even boot.

Any advise you guys could give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah I updated it to 1014 and ran it with my 3800+ for two days to make sure that everything was kosher. I think that the board is toast. At least the processor seems ok.

I guess this is the perfect excuse to get a SLI setup. So much for a simple $500 upgrade!

Back