75 hz + Dell 2005FPW = big difference

5150Joker

Supreme [H]ardness
EDIT: UPDATE, 75 Hz is now possible with ATi X1900 and possibly other cards:

Finally a new PowerStrip beta that lets you set custom resolutions and refresh rates for the X1900 cards. You can download it from here: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/psbeta.exe

--------------------------------------------

I was playing desert combat earlier tonight at 60 hz and the controls felt really sluggish. I read about how people here changed their refresh rate so I figured I'd give it a try. Using the nv control panel I changed it to 75 hz and I was instantly in heaven. The controls in DC became razor sharp like they used to with my old G520 CRT and everything was so much better. So if you own a Dell 2005 FPW monitor and game often, I highly recommend changing the display refresh rate to 75 hz! Anyhow I heard the 2405 is limited to 60 hz at native resolution and I was almost about to order one but now that I know how sluggish 60 hz can be in certain games like DC, I'm going to forego the purchase.

Here's how you do it if you have an nVidia based card (I did it using a 7800 GTX):

Step 1: Download Coolbits 2.0 and run the registry file.

Step 2: Right click on your desktop, choose nVidia Display and then proceed to the refresh rate menu and click on Advanced Timing:

menu8jo.jpg

Step 3: In the Advanced Timing menu change your refresh rate to 75 hz and click Apply:

refreshrate9mv.jpg

It may not show 75 hz on the menu after doing this but if you check your monitor status it will show 75 hz. Additionally you will probably need to add 1680x1050 @ 75 hz as a custom resolution.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices a difference with higher refresh rates. I know that the 2405fpw is not capped at 60Hz because I've pushed it up to 61.4Hz at 1920x1200. The limitation seems to be the bandwidth of the DVI connection between the video card and the display. I'm continuing to investigate whether there is a way around it.

Ive seen the option for more then 60 before, but i always run it at 60 as i figure that is the default for the monitor?

hrm..how can i do that...My video card won't let me do that. it's limited to 60hz..wait maybe i an uncheck that hide refresh rates

Does this apply to all computing? So if I upped my 2005FPW's refresh rate to 75 Hz there would literally be no ghosting whatsoever? I can notice a little bit of ghosting at 60 Hz, so this would make me perfectly happy. :D

I have been looking and looking into buying an LCD monitor but can't make up my mind on which one to get but after reading your brain storm of a good idea for making the 2005FPW faster I might want that model now....Good thinking 5150Joker

I am sold on the 2005FPW myself.

Now....time to hunt one down for under $380 shipped. *runs away giggling gleefully (in a manly way)*

hmm i add the custom resolution, and when i look at the timing it says it is running at the 1680x1050 @75hz..

but when i check the monitor info, it stills ays 1680x105 @ 60Hz

this is on a 6800GT

H-street said:
hmm i add the custom resolution, and when i look at the timing it says it is running at the 1680x1050 @75hz..

but when i check the monitor info, it stills ays 1680x105 @ 60Hz

this is on a 6800GT

Set the custom resolution, then go to the advanced timing menu and set it a little bit above 75.000 to something like 75.1 and then hit apply and ok. It should set your monitor to 75 hz after that.

To everyone else: This isn't out of spec afaik, the max this display can do is 75 hz at native resolution so its safe. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this with an ATi card since I no longer own one.

I've had 2, 2005fpw's when I run them past 60 hz i get some pretty noticable Artifacts in DVD movies with both WinDVD and PowerDVD, you may not notice them immediatly but they where definatly there on both my 2005fpws, to those wondering of disadvantages to runing "out of spec"

Elderblaze said:
I've had 2, 2005fpw's when I run them past 60 hz i get some pretty noticable Artifacts in DVD movies with both WinDVD and PowerDVD, you may not notice them immediatly but they where definatly there on both my 2005fpws, to those wondering of disadvantages to runing "out of spec"

I've experienced no such thing.

when i try to set the advanced timing to anything, it pops up the message that says it unable to do that.
correct the following options:

and the list is blank..

i am wondering if being in SLI has something to do with that (although i couldn't see how)

this is the error i get..

which i should note, even though it says its at 75hz, when i open the advanced timing it says 59.999

timingerror.jpg

I just OCed to 75Hz successfully, but can't see a noticeable difference... what are the pros and cons of this OC?

H-Street, I'm not sure whats going on there. Which driver version are you using? Pointblank, you will mainly notice a difference in some games that seem sluggish at 60 hz. It also reduces tearing by going to a higher refresh rate.

You say you havent "noticed it" though have you actually played a DVD and looked for it. It took me awhile too, till I noticed Horizontal "Tearing" int he movie that imediatly went away when I set the refresh rate back to 60. This happend with 2 monitors, admitedly it might not happen with all panels, but im not making this shit up either. The only time I ever noticed sluggish performance is in OpenGL games, with Vsync enabled. That dosent mean you don't notice it. To each their own, but don't so readily dismiss it. I'd also argue that the only time you really notice tearing is when you get to a really simple scene like a wall with no onscreen characters and the frame rate jumps up over 100 FPS, 75 hz won't do shit for you in that situation. If this helps some people great, im just reporting my experiance.

Elderblaze said:
You say you havent "noticed it" though have you actually played a DVD and looked for it. It took me awhile too, till I noticed Horizontal "Tearing" int he movie that imediatly went away when I set the refresh rate back to 60. This happend with 2 monitors, admitedly it might not happen with all panels, but im not making this shit up either. The only time I ever noticed sluggish performance is in OpenGL games, with Vsync enabled. That dosent mean you don't notice it. To each their own, but don't so readily dismiss it. I'd also argue that the only time you really notice tearing is when you get to a really simple scene like a wall with no onscreen characters and the frame rate jumps up over 100 FPS, 75 hz won't do shit for you in that situation. If this helps some people great, im just reporting my experiance.

Yes I turned on a DVD tonight since my wife rented one and there were no artifacting or tearing of any kind. It was perfectly fine just as usual. As far as it helping with sluggish controls, like I mentioned it helped me quite a bit in desert combat where no matter where I was the controls felt like they had some sort of slow response - once I upped it to 75 hz they became very responsive. Even my BF2 gaming experience has gotten better at 75 hz, I get far less frequent tearing than I used to before.

im gonna play with mine some more tonight and double check the artifacting, I'd like to run at higher rates but artifacting in dvd's is not acceptable to me.. i'll report back later see how it go's

perplex said:
i thought refresh rates don't matter with LCD monitors?
Before you read I apolize about my spelling and gramer and ru on sentenes, its 3am in morning here (est) currently and I'm very tired.

They don't if your using DVI due to the fact of the way they work, but if your using the vga port regardless of lcd or crt, it will always help. This thing that everyones like "wow 75hz feels more sharper, faster etc" is what I like to call a placebo effect :rolleyes: basicly because they changed something that there usedto making a change they think its working on a diffrent device that doesn't even work that way. heres a perfect example, if you constently dring coffe EVERY day and you feel tired and you have a coffee and you think the caffine is making you untired, but actually whats happening is that caffine gets settled in your body very easy (body gets usedto it) so its not the caffine in the coffe giving you a boost, rather the caffine is resetting the acedeleine(sp?) in your brain to NORMAL levels, on the other hand if you don;t drink coffe often and drink alot one day then yes the caffined is BLOCKING the acedeling which makes you feel more awake :) a little biology lessonj there :p so basicly same effect here, its a plain placebo effect, its not really doing anything thou.

//Elimi'Xed

Elimi'Xed said:
Before you read I apolize about my spelling and gramer and ru on sentenes, its 3am in morning here (est) currently and I'm very tired.

They don't if your using DVI due to the fact of the way they work, but if your using the vga port regardless of lcd or crt, it will always help. This thing that everyones like "wow 75hz feels more sharper, faster etc" is what I like to call a placebo effect :rolleyes: basicly because they changed something that there usedto making a change they think its working on a diffrent device that doesn't even work that way. heres a perfect example, if you constently dring coffe EVERY day and you feel tired and you have a coffee and you think the caffine is making you untired, but actually whats happening is that caffine gets settled in your body very easy (body gets usedto it) so its not the caffine in the coffe giving you a boost, rather the caffine is resetting the acedeleine(sp?) in your brain to NORMAL levels, on the other hand if you don;t drink coffe often and drink alot one day then yes the caffined is BLOCKING the acedeling which makes you feel more awake :) a little biology lessonj there :p so basicly same effect here, its a plain placebo effect, its not really doing anything thou.

//Elimi'Xed

Wow what a bunch of b.s. First of all the chemical released by the brain's neurotransmitters is called Adenosine and it counteracts the function of Glutamate. Glutamate is what interrupts the sleep cycle and makes our brain more alert; with the consumption of coffee during the day, it acts as an Adenosine blocker.

The DVI single link operating at 75 hz with a resolution of 1680x1050 for my display is roughly 149 MHz. The maximum specification for single link DVI is 165 MHz so it isn't some placebo effect like you claim. While I'm not an engineer (but I am a Biologist) I believe what I'm saying is correct and would require facts to refute it. Not to mention that I can clearly see tangible results when testing between refresh rates in certain games.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I always run my LCDs at 75Hz... it seems much more "smooth" you know?

i always run my CRT on 100+ Hz... it seems much more "smooth" you know?

:p

Unfortunatly fore me the DVD video artifacts are still there, I had to try again to make sure, and sure enough they are most definatly there. It's not every frame mind you, you may go 5 minutes without seeing it, but when I see it it looks like a white horizontal line appears for like 1 frame, some may never notice it but I sure do and it bothers me. It's also possible that not all panels have this problem, but my two did.

Evga 6800GT/DVI

Regards,
Mike

5150Joker said:
Wow what a bunch of b.s. First of all the chemical released by the brain's neurotransmitters is called Adenosine and it counteracts the function of Glutamate. Glutamate is what interrupts the sleep cycle and makes our brain more alert; with the consumption of coffee during the day, it acts as an Adenosine blocker.

It also increases cAMP expression, which results in more blood sugar reaching the brain. :D

ya i keep it at 60hz since i thought it doesnt matter with the refresh rates for lcd's since its always the same thing

I've never noticed the difference on an LCD, only done it with DVI though.

Always noticed it on a CRT, at least under 75hz there would cause the darn thing to flicker and be unconfortable to look at.

For some reason I don't think I'll be doing this...I don't want to ruin my recent $460 investment :-/

Plus, I have no complaints running @ 60hz...WoW works fine, good enough for me.

Back