Operation: Keychain (56K Watch Out!)

tsuehpsyde

Supreme [H]ardness
Originally Posted At SourceKills

Well, some of you may or may not remember my videocard dying, so here's a link about it:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=922513

Well, I've been waiting for some free time and today I got it, and decided, now was the time to turn my dead 6800 Ultra into the world's coolest keychain (and only one like it that I'm aware of). I drove over to Broadside's house which is like 15 minutes from my place to take advantage of his tools. And yes, a haircut is on tomorrow's agenda.

First, a picture of our naked target:

DSC00295.sized.jpg

First thing, we (myself and Broadside) decided to use the power of the God's to dismantle this beast...

DSC00296.sized.jpg

DSC00297.sized.jpg

After realising it was an nVidia and not an ATi, we found out that mere flames were no match for the power of the Ultra! So, we went to more "primitive" means....

DSC00298.sized.jpg

DSC00299.sized.jpg

DSC00300.sized.jpg

The result of cut #1 and the torch:

DSC00301.sized.jpg

Well, after cut #1, we found out that PCB's are really crappy...they don't hold well once cut. :p So, I switched up to this saw for cut #2:

DSC00302.sized.jpg

Once I got almost the entire way thru....it started freakin' out, due to the completel lack of material to cut thru, and lots of metal stuff attached to the back. So, I use my Man Power to rip the two pieces apart....note the memory module that pressed the eject button.

DSC00303.sized.jpg

Still doing well for slow cuts, we used it for cut #3 as well...

DSC00304.sized.jpg

Keeping a firm eye on my card and fingers.

DSC00305.sized.jpg

Okay, the next step required two people, so we only have an "after" shot. Basically, we vice grip'd her in there, and broke out the first saw again, because we couldn't find a dremmel (our first choice) for the last cut, which was really wobbly. So, we found a better vice (yes, it is possible to break a vice somehow...but I diddn't do it, it was jacked before I even used it) and Broadside held down the core with clamps while I saw'd down the last cut. The result?

DSC00306.sized.jpg

We also used the same method for carefully removing the AGP slot piece, but never took a picture. Oh well, you get the idea. Luckily we found it, as after it was cut off it went flyin' across the garage.

Now that we have our core by itself with some PCB around it, we needed a way to get rid of it without cutting anymore....so, bring on the sanding!

DSC00307.sized.jpg

DSC00308.sized.jpg

DSC00309.sized.jpg

Okay, so what did we end up with? This is what we ended up with!

DSC00310.sized.jpg

DSC00318.sized.jpg

DSC00319.sized.jpg

A dope keychain, and a little sweaty and suit-covered (from the torch, good lord that thing is dirty).

And finally, the corpse, which Eclipse recommends I send back for RMA. :D

DSC00311.sized.jpg

Discuss.

What kind of FPS do your keys get now? :p

I wonder how hard it would be to encase it in lucite?

very cool, but you should left the AGP fingers on there. :) More colourful that way.

What about a little bit of protective plastic on top of the chip itself, just so that it keeps its shinyness?

It makes me grimace whenever I see something like that so expensive get destroyed intentially.

But nonetheless, cool stuff :cool: RMA THAT SUCKER! But draw the GPU where the hole is.

Well, it wasn't intentional...an electrical storm or my overclock (I blame the storm now as I lost a motherboard and a UPS as well...and old UPS) killed it. Either way, I did enough to that card between a 1.5v vcore to try it out, as well as changing memory timings and other stuff, that I wouldn't have felt right RMA'ing the card...so, keychain it is. :p Gives me a reason to scratch up enough money for a 7800GTX. :D

ummm...I realize that you needed a place to drill the hole...but those chips pop right off the circuit board if you heat it from the back.

example:
PICT5042Large.jpg

I'm well aware, but I wanted it to be somewhat sturdy for a keychain, because I actually plan on using it. It's in my pocket right now, as a matter of fact.

I figured that's why you left the board attached. The chip I showed was a keychain...hole drilled in the corner where pin 1 is located. Didn't take too long to that corner to break off.

I'd suggest putting a couple layers of clear epoxy on that piece with the hole. It'll make it last longer since you'll have to wear down the epoxy before weakening the circuit board.

tsuehpsyde said:
Well, it wasn't intentional...an electrical storm or my overclock (I blame the storm now as I lost a motherboard and a UPS as well...and old UPS) killed it. Either way, I did enough to that card between a 1.5v vcore to try it out, as well as changing memory timings and other stuff, that I wouldn't have felt right RMA'ing the card...so, keychain it is. :p Gives me a reason to scratch up enough money for a 7800GTX. :D

Nice, someone with some integrity for once!

Kick ass key chain BTW

that is great op!

time for me to dismantle my GTX... i mean MX440...

nice keychain though, lotsa ppl will ask WTH it is

Do the top corners snag on your clothes? Might want to round them off a little bit.

Cool job on the keychain though. I like it. :)

Nah, she doesn't snag the pants or anything...actually, the corners are sorta rounded against my liking because the sander was pwning it while I tried to keep it flat. :p Not too bad, but it does help out reguardless.

And I was originally going to go core-only, but it's really not big enough for the keychain feature...plus, it doesn't say the damn chip's name anywhere on it, except for that outside piece...the top PCB was just easier to drill thru as well. Trust me, I thought before cutting on her. ;)

yes...definately RMA it. Put all the pieces in the box (including the hsf) with a note that says "I was playing BF2 for 32 hours straight, and all of a sudden my screen froze, I heard some sizzling, a loud "POP", and some cracking noises and then my PC turned off. I opened the case to find this!"

hehe...hell, If I was the tech that received the RMA, I'd have to at least send you out a MX440 or something just for the story alone :p

Now you need to pop the memory off and put in a "keepsake" book or photo album so when your 80 you can look back and cherish the memories.

That is a nice keychain ornament.
All I have is the yellow Best Buy logo I got from a career fair and a metal
pendant that displays my Eagle Scout status.

That is an incredible keychain for sure! It definately puts my P4 2.6 ES keychain to shame, but my s478 cpu's size is a bit more condusive to being in the pockets.

Yeah, i'm sure its the coolest keychain to all his WoW friends, but to everyone else ( myself included ) he just reached new levels of NERDY..ISM!

nst6563 said:
hehe...hell, If I was the tech that received the RMA, I'd have to at least send you out a MX440 or something just for the story alone :p
my thoughts exactly!

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Yeah, i'm sure its the coolest keychain to all his WoW friends, but to everyone else ( myself included ) he just reached new levels of NERDY..ISM!

Fuck WoW. I don't play that garbage.

tsuehpsyde said:
Fuck WoW. I don't play that garbage.

As if CS:S is any better? Hahahaha

I hate WoW so much. Some customers had it on their systems and it kept crashing on them. So we had to play their character for about 3 hours off and on to see if it crashed. Worse game I ever saw.

I made my IHS into a keychain, it melted a drillbit... thats how strong the nickle/copper is, or maybe my drills suck?

Picture%2049.jpg

Borgschulze said:
I made my IHS into a keychain, it melted a drillbit... thats how strong the nickle/copper is, or maybe my drills suck?

Picture%2049.jpg

That's nice. :D

I also vote to RMA it. If I was the tech who received that, it would make my day. Definatly worth the $5 :D

Viper87227 said:
I also vote to RMA it. If I was the tech who received that, it would make my day. Definatly worth the $5 :D

Heck, if one of the actual product reps around here eggs me on to do it, maybe I will. :D But I'd hate to get some lame email simply stating there was physical damage to the card, blah blah blah, that is some default jibberish. That and I may offer to sell the cooling parts off of the card to someone with a GT or who'd want them...and if eVGA gets that card and throws it away, I'd be a little upset. Of course, I could always send it in without the cooler and say it came like that.

Borgschulze said:
sorry for the bump :p

i would have done this.. but i sanded the nickle off, so now it's all relatively corrosive copper.. and it's too heavy for me. this is what i like doing:

keychain.JPG

That was my first keychain, actually...one of the EDO memory modules (I think that's the name?). The circular loop broke on me tho, and I diddn't feel like setting up another one. Hardware keychains rule; they get ALL the ladies. :D

tsuehpsyde said:
A dope keychain, and a little sweaty and suit-covered (from the torch, good lord that thing is dirty).

You do realize that you're supposed to turn on the oxygen in an oxy/acetylene torch, right? No wonder you couldn't burn through the card. :p

I knew that flame looked like it was spewing a little to much soot, lol.

Seriously though, RMA it.

That was my friend using it, not me. And we used it for effect, not actually cutting...and he had to call his dad to figure out how to fire it up. And I think it was out of oxygen (somehow?) but yeah, that flame wasn't bitchin' blue like it's supposed to be. It was still fun, tho. LD

Back