4000+ or X2 3800

Gun_Strife

2[H]4U
Well I am getting a new cpu and was debating on which one to get a 4000+ for $369 or a X2 3800 for $378, its mainly for gaming but I do alot of encoding also. So what do you guys think

tough one. When would you upgrade next? cause if you wait for more multithreaded games you can get an x2 then.
For gaming I guess the 4000+ would deliver more power, but future proofing I say an x2.

I personally would say the x2.

K thanks guys I plan on upgrading like now just couldn't decide but of course will also upgrade when new socket comes out, whats the gaming dif on the 2 chips

I just went through this....I ended up getting the 4000+ because I don't do encoding or anything intensive like that when I am gaming...and I want the most juice behind the 7800GTX to push my games at an incredible IQ level. Since I am LCD bound to 1280x1024 max res, I expect to be able to crank the IQ up waaay past what my XT-PE will do. The thought of the X2 is attractive...but I had a dual cpu rig before and quite frankly, I rarely used it the way it was meant to be. This cpu stock is 2.4ghz and I am water cooling it, I am hoping that I might see some 2.7ghz action :D

Hmm, similar pricing? Well many are finding the 3800+ X2 to be a good overclocker.

So you could get single threaded gaming performance the equivalent of the 4000+. In addition, while the games are not multi-threaded, Windows XP is. Loading textures from hard drive, sound processing, etc will actually be impacted.

You will see some subtle improvements even in single-threaded games, IMO. You are also future proofed more for Windows Vista, mult-threaded gaming, etc.

It's possible that Ageia may license a Novadex physics processing that could take advantage of the second core. Wouldn't be as fast as their PPU, but it would be a good step between software physics on a single core and a PPU setup.

Go for the 4000+ ... you don't need the x2 now..

Get a dual core when M2 Socket is out later next year... ;)

YourPaceOrMine said:
get a x2 3800+ and overclock to 2.8ghz like me with no hit in gaming performance ;)

Well...I changed my mind. :D I just resubmitted a new order with the X2 3800+, since I am water cooling it I expect to get a decent overclock of AT LEAST 2.4ghz which would rival the stock 4000+. Either way is going to ge killer good gaming speed with the 7800GTX.

This is going onto an Abit AN8 SLI board with 2 gigs of ram...the Thermaltake Tsunami case with it's two 120mm fans for quiet and good airflow. My custom made all copper radiator will fit right into the front drive bays and gets fresh air from the front intake. It is a perfect fit since the rad was designed to fit a 3.5" drive bay :p

S1, M2 and F :D

and surprisingly, i think M2 will be my next real upgrade. i'm kinda trapped with s754 and agp anyhow :p

well got good points on both sides, but this baby is gonna be powering a GTX and I want whats best for my games but I also want it to handle the encoding well.

on my old rig (a 3400 clawhammer, 1gb corsair xms 3200xlpro, and 6800gt) I played COD while I was playing music and ripping a dvd and everything went smooth, I will be using the same ram and possibly getting another gb of it along with either cpu and my GTX, now if I was able to pull that off with my clawhammer you guys think this 4000 sandy will live up to that aswell.

also I kinda like to upgrade alot

Gun_Strife said:
also I kinda like to upgrade alot

My X2 3800+ is on the way. Along with the GTX and 2gb of new ram. I thought loooooooong and hard about which cpu...what swayed me is that 1) I am watercooling and expect to get a nice overclock and 2) I do encode some video and what not, plus my machine Folds when I am not gaming....

Dual core was the answer...like some have said, even if I end up 200mhz less overclock the a comparable overclock on a single core, will I REALLY notice a difference in games? I doubt it...and I am not a benchmark whore either...

TheRapture said:
plus my machine Folds when I am not gaming....

Dual core was the answer...like some have said, even if I end up 200mhz less overclock the a comparable overclock on a single core, will I REALLY notice a difference in games? I doubt it...and I am not a benchmark whore either...

Good call on the folding. The X2 really helps there.

Back