Just got my MisterX Pimeta amp in the mail!

SilverMK3

[H]ard|Gawd
First impressions are: "Holy crap, I wish I'd known years ago."

While I was quite impressed with the sound of my new Sennheiser HD280 Pro's before I ordered one of Mister X's Pimetas, I have to say they're like whole new beasts when they're hooked up to the amp. Everything is louder, clearer, and much punchier now. While the Senns were always very clear and "musical", they've got some serious presense now. Its like listening to music in my HT room, subwoofer and all.

Thanks MisterX! :)

Here are some pics:
pimeta1.jpg

pimeta2.jpg

pimeta3.jpg

Is' gots to gets me one of those... :)
But a NDA on the price? :( I have no idea how much I need to save.

UnknownSouljer said:
Is' gots to gets me one of those... :)
But a NDA on the price? :( I have no idea how much I need to save.
PM Mister X. He may whisper it in your ear
;)
Or build your own.

blueworm said:
PM Mister X. He may whisper it in your ear
;)
Or build your own.

I'm sure he would, but I may not be prepared for the thunderous echo that would decimate my small pile of funds :p (at least for now).

You don't have to say whether I'm even remotely close or not (NDA and all) but somewhere I remember him selling them for $80. That's easily doable... then tack on another $300 for headphones... and then voila.

Is MisterX the same guy from Rockhopper audio? The pimeta he's selling looks exactly like the Rockhopper audio portable pimeta.

Regards,
Mike

Elderblaze said:
Is MisterX the same guy from Rockhopper audio? The pimeta he's selling looks exactly like the Rockhopper audio portable pimeta.

Regards,
Mike
they all look pretty much the same. There are only so many ways you can make them.

Def on my "eventual to buy list"

MisterX don't stop making them anytime soon!!! plz? :D

have fun with it SilverMK

I'll take some when I get home from work :)

Next step is getting a 2-position audio switch between my soundcard and my speakers so that I can switch between speakers and headphones without having to disconnect cables. Any suggestions? Or possibly a way to mod one into the amp? :)

SilverMK3 said:
Everything is louder, clearer, and much punchier now.
Besides the new improvements you listed, do you notice a diffrence in sound quality?

Myabe someday I'll get a dedicated headphone amp too :eek:

~Thanks

Damnit thats one hell of a clean job! :D

I am only wondering where that PCB inside is coming from. :rolleyes:

Mister X said:
:D Thanks wasnt sure if it was a secret :p

Actually what I want to figure out is how to make a switch on my AltecLansing speakers so when I want to listen to headphones I can and when I dont I can flip a switch so the speakers will come back on and the headphones stay off.
Theres a switch or something in the AltecLansing 1/8" speaker jack that tells it to turn off speakers when headphones are plugged in.
All of those years of plugging in an unplugging the headphones have excessively worn down the speaker jack, now it needs to be replaced :(

towert7 said:
Besides the new improvements you listed, do you notice a diffrence in sound quality?

Myabe someday I'll get a dedicated headphone amp too :eek:

~Thanks

Wouldn't clearer and punchier mean there is a difference in sound quality? :confused:

In addition to the pimetas already posted, there's also the ones in the portable serpac cases, and I also have a all-black metal case on mine (I'll post a picture in a sec.)

5_D6D4CFE0AC.jpg

strid3r said:
Wouldn't clearer and punchier mean there is a difference in sound quality? :confused:

In addition to the pimetas already posted, there's also the ones in the portable serpac cases, and I also have a all-black metal case on mine (I'll post a picture in a sec.)

Yea, that's true.
But I was getting more at if they shifted the frequency response... colorations... or if it was very neutral and just improved the HD280pro's.

Looks nice, but you know you want one of these bad boys:
240610P1010029813.jpg
:D

Mister X does some damn fine work doesnt he?

saturine2, is that yours? If so what do the switches do? Does it have 2 inputs, or a input and a loopback? (if that's yours, could you quickly explain how you like it?)

That's along the lines of something I would be interested in.... something with an internal power supply ^_^, so that's one less ac-dc adapter I have to plug in.

~Thanks

towert7 said:
saturine2, is that yours? If so what do the switches do? Does it have 2 inputs, or a input and a loopback? (if that's yours, could you quickly explain how you like it?)

That's along the lines of something I would be interested in.... something with an internal power supply ^_^, so that's one less ac-dc adapter I have to plug in.

~Thanks
Yep, my PPA built by Mister X. Left switch switches the inputs (dual input), middle is power on/off, right is bass boost. How do I like it? Let me tell you this.. it is the only piece of gear I dont consider upgrading anytime soon. I compared it to a Dynahi ($1500 in parts alone), and while the Dynahi was slightly better, the PPA came extremely close in terms of sound quality. It works well with every pair of cans I've owned (although some have required an opamp swap..Grados come to mind :) ) The build quality is also top notch, Mister X is a soldering god :p I cant imagine how hard it would be assemble those diamond buffers..

A Mister X Pimeta..the first step to salvation, from the abyss into the light from musical purgatory to the gates of Head-Fi......................

Congrats

saturnine2 said:
Looks nice, but you know you want one of these bad boys:
<pic> :D

Give me a few months man, my wallet isn't done recovering from my DAC purchase. :p

@saturnine2
How does your maxed out PPA1 compare to PPA2? I am thinking of building one.
What about your M3? what happened to that?
IIRC Mister X said that PPA2 had superior sound quality. (M3 has less parts...)

saturnine2 said:
Looks nice, but you know you want one of these bad boys: <pic> :D

That looks like what my PPA is gonna look like soon. I am sending mine in and getting the steps and diamond buffer's installed. I think I am going with a variable bass boost tho since I have the DT770s. Now only if I can mount my DAC inside of the par-metals case... I would be set. :)

Who knows tho.. I have the millet that I will be checking out this weekend... I may have to get one of those too.. :)

Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone direct me to a thread with more information or discussions on this. I don't really understand what this is used for...

Ultra Wide said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone direct me to a thread with more information or discussions on this. I don't really understand what this is used for...
Yep... Right here is an entire forum dedicated to this kinda stuff: www.head-fi.org

blueworm said:
Yeah but does that attenuator not require that there $485 knob ;)
i really really wonder if anybody would buy a $500 knob (or am i missing the joke?).

I mean less-micro-vibration-traveling-down-the-signal-path makes for better sound quality right? :D

sry, end off topic/

SJetski71 said:
i really really wonder if anybody would buy a $500 knob (or am i missing the joke?).

I mean less-micro-vibration-traveling-down-the-signal-path makes for better sound quality right? :D

sry, end off topic/

You'd be surprised at how "anal" people get with their audio reproduction when it comes to headphones. As for me, I wasn't able to justify the $175 needed to add a stepped attenuator to my Headamp GS-1 so I think I wil stick with the stock $750 model for now.

By "anal", I meant it in the most loving way possible. :)

Back