ASUS A8N-SLI or DFI LanParty SLI?

P

PRCop

I own an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe but have run into the 1T issue where it will not function once you pass 240MHz HTT.

So, I am considering whether I should get a DFI Lan Party SLI mobo, which I have read, does not have this problem. What you guys think? Is the DFI Lan Party SLI a much better mobo over the ASUS A8N-SLI?

if you want a simple, setup and go rig, then I'll tell ya to get the Asus board.

now if you want a headache and something that can and probably will be a b*tch to O/C and fine tune, then I say get the DFI board.

Howdy,

I've got my A8N-SLI Premium running a 250fsb with a divider for the RAM bringing it almost back into spec at 208Mhz/416DDR at 2-3-3-6-1T. My HT-Bus is at 4x so it's at 1GHz (spec).

What is the "1T bug?" Does it only affect RAM not being able to go past 240 at 1T?

Thanks!

H

Hurin said:
Howdy,

I've got my A8N-SLI Premium running a 250fsb with a divider for the RAM bringing it almost back into spec at 208Mhz/416DDR at 2-3-3-6-1T. My HT-Bus is at 4x so it's at 1GHz (spec).

What is the "1T bug?" Does it only affect RAM not being able to go past 240 at 1T?

Thanks!

H
Yes, once you reach 240MHz and over, 1T will simply not work anymore. What ram do you have? At 208MHz, your memory should run tighter timings. My Ballistix runs at 2.5-2-2-8-2T at 250MHz.

Asus boards are made for stability first and overclocking second. While they are very easy to get running yoy sacrafice performance.

The DFI board is more touchy. You need the right BIOS for what ram you run. Once that is correct I find them to be easy. Mine is running 260 fsb with 1:1 devider @ 2-2-2-5 1T for months now. You also have to use a quality powr supply (24pin required with out adaptor) to really see it sing.

PRCop said:
Yes, once you reach 240MHz and over, 1T will simply not work anymore. What ram do you have? At 208MHz, your memory should run tighter timings. My Ballistix runs at 2.5-2-2-8-2T at 250MHz.
It's buried in my sig. Crucial TwinX2048-3200C2. Since they are 1GB sticks, I didn't want to push their timings too low. I was actually happy to get 2-3-3-6-1T!

But, in a few weeks, I'll probably see if I can push it lower. I'm a bit burned out right now. I've had the system in my sig for a week and have yet to run a single game! I've been too busy testing stability! :eek:

Regarding the 1T bug. It is a shame. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure it's a deal-breaker for most. I keep hearing that memory speed isn't as important now in the era of the Athlon64 overclocks. So, with that in mind, I just set my mem divider so that It would be as close to stock as possible (200/400DDR) and concentrated on the CPU.

In all, I'm very happy with my motherboard. News of this bug is disappointing, but not devastating. I bought this board because it tested well for both overcocking and stability in the [H] reviews area. I don't consider an OC to be completely successful unless it has passed at least 24 hours of dual-prime95. [H] had trouble with both the DFI and the Abit where stability was concerned. :(

H

Can anyone tell me if the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium board has the same issue as mentioned above ?

I just went with the DFI. I heard it is the best oc'ing mobo there is right now. WIll let ya know in a day or so how it goes. I hope it can get me to 298fsb+ like my Neo2 did.

I'de say go for the DFI. But what 1T bug? I run mine at 283HTT 232MHz 3-3-3-7-1T all day and its stable at 247MHz (HTT approaching 300).

Well then goto dfi-street.com and read up on the stickies. There is a LOT of good info there on how to get it to work.

Neither board, I would get what I chose... the ABIT AN8 SLI Fatality. The only reason every site is rating the ASUS and the DFI is because ABIT was much later to market with their super premium enthusiast SLI offering. It is a great board that is on par with the DFI, and better than the ASUS for sure.

havent had any experience with the asus board but i do own a dfi sli-dr, greatest board ive ever owned.

the board ran up to 310 HTT, running at 285x10, 2x1gb crucial ballistix 1:1 1T. air cooled, very pleased with the overclock.

The DFI SLI-DR is a great board. If you take the time to read the information provided on www.dfi-street.com and have the patience to fine-tune the settings you will find it is the greatest nF4 board out on the market.

the same morons that r telling folks they need a uber watts psu ? and special ram just to run stable ?--ROTF-LMAO-- some of the worse consulting and tec advice i ever seen came from there. these dfi-lp-ultra d's are the best--and the worst mb's ever to come down the pike. if you got a good one they'll work wonderfully and overclock to the hilt--but if you got a problem-child--all the 600w DFI approved psu's and DFI street ocz approved ram in the world ain't gonna fix it . if you got a stable MB--i wouldn't worry too much about the sata's--consider yourself lucky.

i would look here for more reliable less-!!!!!!ish info-- if i have a serious problem i call the DFI HQ--they usually know what their talking about.

http://www.rhcf.com/
The Rebels Haven Computer Forum Main Page :eek: :cool:

Back