Random Freezing

I have tried running memtest86, underclocking, upgrading to a 600W power supply, and my computer randomly freezes. It seems to happen more often while playing games. But it still happens when I'm just browsing the web or reading hardforums. There are no blue screens or anything, I wish there was a blue screen then I would know what it was. It just freezes, the mouse won't move, the keyboard won't do anything, everything freezes in the screen and I'm forced to reboot. Sometimes I will go a whole day without freezing, and sometimes it freezes several times within a few minutes. So I'm starting to blame the motherboard. I even tried resitting all the PCI and AGP slots. The only thing I can think that I have left to blame is the motherboard. Do I have a faulty motherboard? Also, sometimes with an older motherboard I would see this happen if I disconnected something from it, like a fan, while it was running.

ultramutalisk said:
I have tried running memtest86, underclocking, upgrading to a 600W power supply, and my computer randomly freezes. It seems to happen more often while playing games. But it still happens when I'm just browsing the web or reading hardforums. There are no blue screens or anything, I wish there was a blue screen then I would know what it was. It just freezes, the mouse won't move, the keyboard won't do anything, everything freezes in the screen and I'm forced to reboot. Sometimes I will go a whole day without freezing, and sometimes it freezes several times within a few minutes. So I'm starting to blame the motherboard. I even tried resitting all the PCI and AGP slots. The only thing I can think that I have left to blame is the motherboard. Do I have a faulty motherboard? Also, sometimes with an older motherboard I would see this happen if I disconnected something from it, like a fan, while it was running.
Did you recently download the newest Marvell LAN driver directly from them or from Windows Update? If so, I'd bet that's the problem. The newest driver causes system freezes. Here's a thread covering it. I noticed it while streaming Quicktime videos. Others have reported more random locking behavior. Roll back to the older driver and you should be fine.

Let me know if that was indeed the problem.

Best Regards,

H

Yes, I did recently update those drivers with windows update, I will try rolling back. I will report if that is the problem. Thank you

I think that was the problem, my computer has not randomly frozen for 30 hours now. Thanks again.

ultramutalisk said:
I think that was the problem, my computer has not randomly frozen for 30 hours now. Thanks again.
Congrats! I'm always happy when my noggin' full of otherwise useless trivia helps someone out. :)

Isn't it a relief that it was just a driver and not hardware! :D

Yeah, i'm very happy that I finally have a stable system again... no crashes for a while now, thanks again, I'm very sure it was the ethernet drivers now.

Back