Watercooled Fragbox II Build Log *Pics!*

boasist

[H]ard|Gawd
This begins fragbox round 2. First time around was zalman air cooling, now i'm moving on. I have finally acquired all of the parts that i need to do this, and will be having this worklog to track the progress for you all to see.

System Specs
Fragbox 2 case
Silverstone 520w PSU
AMD FX-55
G.skill 2x512
BFG 7800gtx OC
gigabit card
Samsung DL Optical
Seagate 400gb SATA NCQ HDD
Swiftech storm CPU block
Swiftech MCP-655 Pump
BIP 2 Radiator
Silenx 14dba 120mm fans
DD Maze 4 GPU block
Tygon 7/16 tubing
Zerex fluid
DD Fillport

here is the side and top panels of the fragbox case, along with the mobo
DSCN0853.JPG

Closeup shot of the mobo with the ram installed
DSCN0854.JPG

Shot of BIP 2 radiator and the naked FX-55
DSCN0855.JPG

2 14dba Silenx 120mm fans for the radiator
DSCN0856.JPG

MCP-655 Pump, really nice little pump, was suprised by its sized coming from an mcp-600 a while ago, and the rheostat is a nice touch.
DSCN0857.JPG

Gutted fragbox case ready for the cooling
DSCN0858.JPG

Silverstone 520W short cable PSU, really nice touch with the short cables on a matx platform
DSCN0859.JPG

DD maze 4 on the gpu, and the storm on the CPU
DSCN0861.JPG

little days work, have to get the radiator mounted first, then its all downhill from there.

much to my dismay, I had to go the external route, not only blocking the window, but enlarging the box. Its going to be OK though, it still will be sweet, and the fans will work well this way.

DSCN0862.JPG

and here on the inside i simply re-used the original screws that held in the window. worked perfectly and they don't even touch the fins.
DSCN0863.JPG

just finish the rad mounting, add the fans....will have to cut the case a bit on that part, then start putting some stuff in there.

really thinking about getting the 7800 block from dangerden. when i started this only the maze4 was out. now that 7800 block is pretty sweet, better temps, ram cooling, should help everything altogether with more surface area as well. we shall see.

days work done.

got the rad and fans all squared away. tomorrow i start cutting some tubing. moving pretty fast.

here you see the rad barbs entering the case, and the pump ready to take on the tubes, will probably split into a t-line here, and mount the fillport on the top right above this spot.
DSCN0867.JPG

vacation is over.....tomorrow its back to work. so not too sure how much time i'll be able to dedicate to this in the coming days.

:eek: You definitely chose very well on both the hardware and the cooling side of things....this should be a verrry nice box when all is said and done....have fun routing that tubing in that nightmare of a small case though :) It looks like the Rad fits very nicely along the side though.

lets just hope you aren't one of those stupid peole and runs that bottom line on the rad somewhere else other than that bottom hole on the pump ;)

DaCoOlNeSs said:
lets just hope you aren't one of those stupid peole and runs that bottom line on the rad somewhere else other than that bottom hole on the pump ;)
Well that might actually be smart....The bottom hole on the pump is the intake, and you usually want to have your T-line and or resevoir connected directly before the pump intake, otherwise it makes it VERY difficult to fill the loop without damaging your pump (by running it dry)

I don't think it would be too difficult to route 7/16 tubing in that setup. I recently got some of the masterkleer stuff and I was amazed as to how much more flexible it is than cheap 1/2'' ID vinyl tubing.

Good luck :).

having a tough time locating some 1/2 barbed elbows for the cpu block. please let me know if you can find any. need them asap.

edit: found this part # 129HB-8-4 1/4"thread to 1/2"barb right angle plug. should be good. just would rather have plastic than brass.

so close now i can get wet from the water.

just need to add the t-line and be done with it.

here you see all of the progress so far.

DSCN0878.JPG

and here is a tighter shot on just the CPU, i actually just trimmed off the flange on the barbs and that gave me enough clearance to get the tubing in there, i have some coolsleeves that i'm going to put on those two spots that run past the PSU, which will pretty much eliminate any close calls on the kinks.
DSCN0876.JPG

still isn't as tight as it looks in that pic, its actually not kinked at all, just going to coolsleeve it because i have some left over from the last project, and to be safe.

Need to get a dual rad cover for the exterior of my radiator for traveling, do a leak test, put the epuipment in, and boot up!

Nice looking rig. Would like to see some more pics from the outside...

Wow that is such unbelievable sacriledge, letting that G.Skill rot in that board. Such a waste!!!

So uh, Where ya gonna put them there hard drives? Unless you only use one...

yeah the HDD is going to go into the 3.5" bay

silverstone sent me a black 3.5" cover...so i'm good there.

system is leak testing now, really really suprised how quick it was.....i was hoping for more of a challenge.

its kind of a worklog right now. not complete. very busy otherrwise. i'm about to take some time right now to finish it hopefully. and i'll make my first post from it today or tomorrow.

WOOT!!

posting from the machine right now, running smooth so far.....the fillport works great as the bubbles just keep on poppin.

currently running at ab out 40 on the gpu and 33 on the CPU

pretty happy.

much quiter too.

pics in the coming days. i just sold off my cameras....waiting for my new one....the nikon s4.

running for sometime now.....gskill memory must have gotten upset at the poor overclocking mobo, as 1 stick was bad. no leaks,

need to try to silence the PSU.....I have a silenx gift card that i might use but i'm not sure if the silenx 80mm fans will push enough air through the psu to keep it running nicely....since it is powering some hefty stuff.

altough the thought has been passing around in my head to ditch the clawhammer and either go san diego 55 or try to find a 57.

www.performance-pcs.com they will probably do it for you.

but its actually going to cost more than the fragbox PSU.

its a silverstone 520w PSU. really solid PSU and worth the money. I shrugged at the price at first but then bit the bullet and have never looked back with any regret as it performs flawlessly daily.

well the gskill went south on me so that is gone, so i had a little downtime.

Changes since last time are that I found some old 120mm fan grills and painted those black to act as a protector for my radiator during travels.

kick ass little machine, looking forward to the htpc

anyway on to some eye candy....favorite shot is my last one.

http://www.cookingwithbrett.com/images/fragbox

so is that an MSI RS480M2-IL? if so, have you overclocked? I can't seem to find out how with it.

Back