6.8 Ghz on CES 2006

MindBuster

2[H]4U
Is this right or....

http://cesweb.org/attendees/show_floor/product_locator/product_details.asp?prodid=5420

Specification:
1TB QuantumOptical Non-Volatile RAM
6.8 GHz CPU, AtomChip® Quantum® II processor
2TB Quantum Storage[ATA-IDE]
Etc
Etc

For a notebook :eek:
They gotta be kidding.

If someone goes to CES 2006 please check it out and report back :D

/edit:

Link to the RAM
http://cesweb.org/attendees/show_floor/product_locator/product_details.asp?prodid=5421

Link to the 2TB ATA-IDE
http://cesweb.org/attendees/show_floor/product_locator/product_details.asp?prodid=5423

At $6000 for the RAM and $5000 for the ATA-IDE and then the rest of the stuff it's gonna be one expensive computer.

I know that I haven't seen or heard anything about that...so I have no idea what it could be about. Either way, that's some amazing power right there that's unlikely to be available to the masses for a while. I'm curious if anyone has seen this laptop up close and personal.

Honestly, who needs that much power in a laptop? Youll sure as hell never catch me gaming on one.

what's the battery life? or do they have some magical nuclear powered one?

Wow, all that and under 5 lbs? Oh wait, what the BLOODY HELL is an "AtomChip® Quantum® II processor"?

"AtomChip, a subdivision of 'Infinium Labs', bringing you all the fruitless paper-launches of tomorrow: today!"

All that cash on hardware, and they still only run Windows? OMFGWTFBBQ?!!11oneone :confused:

Just something to laugh at - Windows XP Professional (unless it is an oversight) will waste ~1021Gb of that memory.

Also - All that power and they used a webcam to take the picture on this page.

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html

It looks like they took a 2Gb CF card and created a new sticker for it - replaced the G with a T.

I will keep an eye on this.

Who wants to bet that 6.8GHz chip probably performs like a 2 GHz A64?

I think that even if this PC is for real, we're not going to see it mass produced for a very long time, if ever.

Besides, who needs 1TB of RAM and why are they using Windows? Talk about wasting memory...

If it sounds too good to be useful....

Actually it sounds more like some company forgot that people are finally realizing that GHz don't matter as much as other bus speeds. And most FETs aren't going to perform well at those speeds if it all, there's is probably some strange addition going on here...

Where are my GHz!?!?!

It has to be a hoax, there is no way in heaven or hell that such a machine exists.

I mean, the 6.8Ghz processor I can almost buy, after all, some people with the extreme overclocking cases have gotten close. Still though, no one could develop a new x86 architecture chip without it leaking out all over the internet, so, I can't see how it is possible that this thing even exists.

1 TB of non-volatile ram? Doesn't that mean it would retain all of the contents even when the power is cut to it? So they promise you an entire TB of the perfect blend of flash memory and RAM, yeah, it doesn't exist, no way, no how.

Also, if it were possible to cream 2TB of disk space into a laptop sized casing, the major HD manufacturers would be all over it now.

They went so overboard on their claims that there is no way anyone in their right might could believe this stuff exists.

Could it actually be possible that tried-and-true grandaddy-of-the-industry Intel has hit a speed wall at 4ghz and these Atom guys are blowing it away at 6.8Ghz in a small laptop? Somehow, I find it unlikely that this laptop chip could beat today's best processors by 2.5x.

And they squeezed a 2TB hard drive and 1TB of RAM into a laptop?

Either they have successfully created the laptop of the future, or they got this laptop through time travel from the year 2012, or this will sizzle out and you will never hear about this again.

This laptop reminds me of the Go-L PCs... hmmm... I wonder if it's the same people at both companies?

insanarchist said:
Wow, all that and under 5 lbs? Oh wait, what the BLOODY HELL is an "AtomChip® Quantum® II processor"?

"AtomChip, a subdivision of 'Infinium Labs', bringing you all the fruitless paper-launches of tomorrow: today!"

First thing I thought of :p

HAHAHHAHAHAHA, take a close look at this picture and tell me what's wrong...

SystemQuant.jpg

6,80 ghz? a comma? Last I checked, its supposed to be a period (looking at 'control panel-system' right now and, yep, periods).

If you're gonna create a hoax, spend more than 20 seconds at it, mmmmkay? :rolleyes:

insanarchist said:
6,80 ghz? a comma? Last I checked, its supposed to be a period (looking at 'control panel-system' right now and, yep, periods).

Not sure about the veracity of those specifications, but there are countries outside of the US. The UK, for instance, uses comas.

insanarchist said:

SystemQuant.jpg

If you're gonna create a hoax, spend more than 20 seconds at it, mmmmkay? :rolleyes:
Check out this picture though.. There is a tab that isent english.. So that could be part why the "comma" isent a "period." Also, you can see more commas in this picture too. I do not believe this to be any hoax. I think its because of the different languages. They use commas for some reason..
Properties-2.JPG

Interesting.

Doesnt seem too extravagent until you realise 1TB = 1024GB

I'm more interested in the 4x pentium m version of it. I want to know how they fit them in it and cool them. Another question is how did they get xp to find more then 4 gigs of ram? Still looks interesting if they ever made it.

"Gimme an H!"
"H"
"Gimme an O!"
"O"
"Gimme an A!"
"A"
"Gimme an X!"
"X"

"What's that spell?"
"This is a load of crap!"

Did a little more digging about this company. They seem to be a legit company (looks based in Russia) One page I found about them listed all their various awards for their other laptop:

445_CES-Innovation_SG111_.jpg

This was one of thier awards!
158_IMAGE043.JPG

MinistrOfJustiz said:
Oh, jeebus. That award has to be the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.
I would like to thank my Manager, <sob> and my Mom for helping to raise me <sob>

MinistrOfJustiz said:
"Gimme an H!"
"H"
"Gimme an O!"
"O"
"Gimme an A!"
"A"
"Gimme an X!"
"X"

"What's that spell?"
"This is a load of crap!"
H-O-A-X spells hoax, not "this is a load of crap" :p. I have truly lost all my faith in America's educational system that is supposed to be edumacating me :rolleyes: ;).

I dunno, but somehow I call bs on this, but if they can sell me one of these for under $5,000, I'll cancel my order with Michael's Computers!

i'm not to surprised about the ram/rom. pocket pcs use flash rom and ram.

not a huge deal, just alot more of it.

Although I can believe that other countries use commas... why does the ram have a period instead of a comma, when the "GHz" has a comma?

I call BS!!

Looks like a hoax to me. When you look at the parts on the other pages, they look like a bunch of common parts glued together to try to make it look like something new.

insanarchist said:

SystemQuant.jpg

I thought Windows XP 32-bit would not recognize RAM beyond 4GB... and 64-bit is limited to 128GB of physical RAM...

Florida Doc said:
I thought Windows XP 32-bit would not recognize RAM beyond 4GB... and 64-bit is limited to 128GB of physical RAM...
You would be right.....if we didn't have PHOTOSHOP to falsify our screenshots!!!!

Florida Doc said:

you are correct. this laptop could not be running any version of windows with those specs.

BioPort said:
you are correct. this laptop could not be running any version of windows with those specs.

Well, except Windows "1337 |-|@><><05 20,000+" edition!

Florida Doc said:
Windows XP is limited to 4Gb but only roughly 3.2Gb of that is actually addressable - depending upon the chipset and other factors. According to this page (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xp64ovw.mspx) XP 64bit supports 16Gb of memory and 16Tb of Virtual Memory.

the question is not really "is Windows making use of the extra memory" because we all know that the answer to that is No. I think that the question should be "what will Windows say if you put more memory in it than 4Gb (and coincidently, what will 64bit edition say if you put more than 16Gb)? Will it crash and start WWIII - or will it simply tell you how much is in the machine and not utilize it.

It might be a hoax (I am inclined to think so) but just maybe by using optics to transfer data signals they are onto the next big thing.

Yah, this is completly plausible. Just because our regular-XP cant handle 4GB+ doesnt mean that it cant be done at all.

Nomad said:
Windows XP is limited to 4Gb but only roughly 3.2Gb of that is actually addressable - depending upon the chipset and other factors. According to this page (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xp64ovw.mspx) XP 64bit supports 16Gb of memory and 16Tb of Virtual Memory.

the question is not really "is Windows making use of the extra memory" because we all know that the answer to that is No. I think that the question should be "what will Windows say if you put more memory in it than 4Gb (and coincidently, what will 64bit edition say if you put more than 16Gb)? Will it crash and start WWIII - or will it simply tell you how much is in the machine and not utilize it.

It might be a hoax (I am inclined to think so) but just maybe by using optics to transfer data signals they are onto the next big thing.

Ok - I guess I overshot the RAM for Windows XP 64-bit

Back