AlumaxX

AlumaxX

Limp Gawd
I started working on AlumaxX in december 2004. I'm not in a hurry so I'm still working on it. The case I use is a Lian Li PC-V2000, it's big but I think I will need every inch/centimeter of it. Here it is, the case before any modding.

voorkant%202.jpg

zijkant%20open%203.jpg

The plan is to watercool the CPU, PSU, GPU, harddisks and the mosfets. To keep a clean look, I will stick to aluminium, chrome and UV green. On the Danger Den site I had found these beautiful chromed radiators, but after a long search and many e-mails to shops in Holland and other European shops, I found out that the only way to get those was to buy them in America. So I did. It was worth the waiting.

radiatoren.jpg

and the raw material for the new rack

aluminium.jpg

hdrackafgetekend.jpg

Shipment costs are pretty high so I sold some other stuff as well, like the Tygon hose. The first thing I did was removing that standard harddisk rack from the Lian Li case. Here it is in

met-trays.jpg

and now it's gone

zondertrays.jpg

I had warmed up a bit and felt it was time to use my Dremel on the fresh aluminium. The first cut for the BIX II in top of the case. Taping and marking the spot before cutting it.

rooster.jpg

dremeltop.jpg

dremeltop2.jpg

and just a preview of the hole with the grill.

dremeltop3.jpg

The first reservoir will also be placed in the top of the case. I say first because I will use two reservoirs and that's because I will use two seperate waterloops in this mod.

reservoirvanonder.jpg

grillenreservoir.jpg

Now it is time to replace the original harddisk rack by a custom made one. As always I make paper models before I use the final materials.

proeftray.jpg

The hardisks will be placed in Aqua computer harddiskcoolers.

proeftray2.jpg

hdrackafgetekend.jpg

Sawing

aluminiumzagen.jpg

and drilling to get the holes out of the aluminium.

aluminiumboren.jpg

a test fit in the case.

tray1.jpg

Time to add some UV acrylic to the aluminium. Again paper models.

uvacryl.jpg

uvacryl2.jpg

rounding the corners

vijlenacryl.jpg

uvacryl3.jpg

hddrack.jpg

The second aluminium sheet is also cut.

hddtray.jpg

The way it looks with the UV acrylic

hddtray2.jpg

The PSU as it came in. It's a watercooled Enermax.

voeding.jpg

After opening it I just knew the copper block is to pretty to hide.

voedingopen.jpg

Again some work for my Dremel

voedinggedremeld.jpg

This part also needs some UV acrylic.

voedingtop.jpg

Looking good! Looking very good indeed!!!!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one I think.

The PSU has no fans but it needs some openings to let the warm air out, that's why I used some spacers.

psuzijkant.jpg

psu.jpg

The third radiator is ready to be placed. The BIX II is placed in top of the case. The other BIX is mounted in the front in the under compartment of the case and the second BIX will com in the back of the Lian Li.

radpastniet.jpg

Some small problem. the rad is to high, it would touch the first videocard. I will have to cut out a piece to be able to lower the BIX a few millimeters.

raddropafgetekend.jpg

raddropdremel.jpg

raddropdremeld.jpg

Now it should fit.

raddropped2.jpg

raddropped.jpg

Just to show the things I've done so far.

overzicht.jpg

The temps and the flowrate of the water from the two loops will be measured and the fanspeed will be controlled by an Aquaero.

onderdelen.jpg

All the baydrives will be covered with an sandwich of UV acrylic and aluminium. First started with the acrylic.

acrylfront.jpg

I cut out the holes for the reservoir, the buttons from the Aquaero and the DVD trays.

plexiefront1.jpg

plexiefront2.jpg

The DVD drives will be stealthed. Like this

plexiefront3.jpg

The acrylic looks good, but I don't want a see through case, so I will add a piece of aluminium to the front.

alufront.jpg

alufront2.jpg

alufront4.jpg

And the acrylic and aluminium parts that will cover the frontside.

frontenalu.jpg

frontinkast.jpg

The aluminium will have to be sanded and polished.

frontvooraanzicht.jpg

frontbevestiging.jpg

The aluminium is 2 mm. thick and the acrylic is 3 mm. The bottons from the Aquero will have to be extended a bit. I made these to place on top of the original buttons.

knoppen.jpg

dvdlades.jpg

The acrylic has to be cleaned up, but I will do that when I'm almost finished with the mod.

ZOMG that is the only LiLi case design i like and this mod just makes it... :eek: LOVING IT!

I can post lots of pictures, because I'm much further then what I posted here. At the moment I'm waiting for LEDs. I only just discovered this forum and thought it was a good idea to kill time and post pictures here.

The PSU is from a German webshop called Heat-Trap

In this mod I use two of those PSU's b.t.w.

Large selection, but brutal prices, even if Euros and Dollars were equal, which they aren't.

Liked the passive radiators, stick one of those in a case side :D

It doesn't get much better than Lian-Li and Aqua Computer / Innovatek.
jawdrop.gif
Props to you :D

The aluminium front polished

frontglanzend.jpg

On4e of my goals is to hide as many cables as possible, that's why I made this paper cover. This will be made from aluminium in the end.

stealth2.jpg

This paper model is the base for the cover.

overzicht2.jpg

All the waterblocks are from Aqua Computer and that stuff looks so good that I want it to be visible.

aqwaterkoelblokken.jpg

In the aluminium cover I will add a lcd screen.

lcd1.jpg

lcd3.jpg

The lcd screen needs a cover to, only the screen itself will be visible.

lcdcover.jpg

Again aluminium in combination with acrylic.

lcdcover2.jpg

And all the aluminium I will need to cover everything

aluplaten.jpg

First part almost ready, you can see I marked the place for the lcd screen.

eerste-plaat.jpg

And with the cover for the lcd screen in place

tussenoverzicht.jpg

I think that polished aluminum with that green acrylic is a really good combination. Like wow... I want to do that now...

Those are the sexfullest waterblocks on the face of this planet...
Nice mod too, very clean, but damnit, get the aluminium on the front panely, it's givinh me a headache!

Just a thought - what about the risk of crap entering your PSU (cos you spaced the acrylic off) and shorting it, causing massive PC blowout?

Why should I get problems with crap entering the PSU? A normal PSU with fans gets a lot more dust then this fanless ones.

The two Eheim 1048 pumps will be placed in FMJ housings.

eerste%20onderdelen%202.jpg

To make these black housings fit better into my theme of chrome, aluminium and UV green I had those housings chromed. The original screws are replaced by some M4 bolts.

draadtappen.jpg

pompbehuizing.jpg

I placed one pumphousing on an aluminium U-profil and some acrylic.

pompverhoging1.jpg

pompverhoging2.jpg

This will be lighted up by some LEDs from underneath. I use two valves to be able to empty the two waterloops easily. First I removed some rivets here

psurack.jpg

Drilled some holes to mount the acrylic parts that will hold the valves.

handboor.jpg

kraanhouder1.jpg

kraanhouder2.jpg

and with the two valves.

kraanhouder3.jpg

Later more about this system to empty the waterloops.

I want the two hoses to come out at the back. The problem is that the Lian Li has curved corners so it is not possible to place some fittings. No problem with a small modification it will become possible.

drain1.jpg

drain2.jpg

drainbakje.jpg

drainbakje2.jpg

Now I only will have to file the part a bit because the sides stick out a bit. The part come at the back of the case, under the PSU at the bottom. First I need to Dremel a hole for the acrylic part. In the next picture you can also see the transparant acrylic backplate I made for the PSU's.

draingat3.jpg

Now it's very easy to mount the outleds.

drainbakje4.jpg

Work on the cover for the mainboard. This is the place for the piece in front of the CPU.

cpuplaat1.jpg

Marking the place to drill.

cpuplaat2.jpg

cpuplaat3.jpg

And with the part in place, no bolts visible

cpuplaat4.jpg

The piece on the left installed

platenlinks.jpg

and an overview of it

platenoverzicht.jpg

The compartment in the bottom of the case will also be stealthed with aluminium sheets. Here is the aluminium I started with and below it are the paper models for it.

achterplaten.jpg

On this picture you can see the pump and the two PSU's.

onder.jpg

Don't pay attention to the cables of the PSU at the top. These will be stealthed later. The first plate is ready.

achterplaat1.jpg

and in place

achterplaat1gemonteerd.jpg

and the second and third sheets

achterplaat2.jpg

achterplaat2gemonteerd.jpg

The last sheet is ready

achterplaat3.jpg

Behind those aluminium sheets all the cableswork will be done out of sight.

aluplatenachter.jpg

The second PSU has the same cover as the first PSU now. The grill from the PSU at the bottom will be replaced with a chromed one.

dubbelevoeding2.jpg

Look how tight the pump fits. The outake just fits between the two PSU covers.

pompout.jpg

acrylglasvoedingen.jpg

Do you know the problem of hoses that just don't want to stay there where you want them? That's why I made some acrylyc hose seperators. These parts will keep all the hoses excactly where I want them.

slanghouder3.jpg

slangenhouders.jpg

Also some seperators on the places the hose goes through the aluminium plating.

pompkabel.jpg

This part needs to reduce the stress from the hoses on the videocards.

slanghouder2.jpg

The memory needs to be able to get fresh air, but I don't think the modules need to be visible, so that's why a made this cover from acrylic and some mesh.

geheugencover.jpg

The Lian Li case is beautiful but I wished they had cases without any holes in it for the cables. I seldom want the cables to be in the places the factory made holes for it. I want to determine the places myself. To get rid of those ugly unused holes I started working on another cover, a white cover this time. Holes for cables and hoses only whre they are needed.

plexiewit2.jpg

plexiewit1.jpg

I will measure the flowrate of the water in both waterloops. This is one of those flowmeters. I attached it to an aluminium coverplate, on the back of it so it is not visible.

flowmeter1.jpg

flowmeter2.jpg

Next I wanted to get rid of those nasty cables from the top PSU. The solution was simple. The next picture shows what the idea is.

psukabels.jpg

and with the cables covered

psukabelgoot.jpg

AlumaxX said:
Why should I get problems with crap entering the PSU? A normal PSU with fans gets a lot more dust then this fanless ones.

Good point. Dunno why, for a minute there i thought that PSUs were filtered
:confused:

Amazing idea and craftmanship. Im not too wild about going with the green plexi though.

/sub

I needed something to keep the reservoir in the front in place.

reservoirbevestiging.jpg

and finished

reservoirbevestiging2.jpg

I wanted some acrylic under the grill, the reservoir and the fillcap. The acrylic is 5 mm. thick and will be lighted by some LEDs from underneath.

topacryl2.jpg

topacryl3.jpg

topacryl4.jpg

The acrylic will follow the lines of the grill

grillacrylglas.jpg

grillacrylglas2.jpg

Some small holes for the LEDs

grillgaatjes.jpg

The back looks a bit boring. I decided to use the double X from my AlumaxX.

fancoverontwerp.jpg

Again some acrylic in combination with some mesh

fancover2.jpg

and when it's on the case.

achterkant2.jpg

When I use the computer at home it would be nice if I could all the lights off. I will use 4 switches to turn the LEDs of and on.

schakelaars3.jpg

schakelaartjes2.jpg

wow....i am just awed by how clean all of your cutting is...i wish i had those |\/|4D L337 skillz

wow, just wow. definatly one of the best modds i have ever seen ever. i love how clean and perfect everything is

The craftsmanship on that is amazing, very very nice. I'd like to see this when it's finished.

Very clean mod. Your attention to detail is really amazing. I would compare it with "Black Narcissus" over at bit-tech. I have a question though... how are you making all of these acrylic and aluminum parts? By hand? What tools? Do you have a CNC mill sitting in your basement? I'd like to know the process you're using, so I can understand the work you've put in. Great images too by the way. :)

badass work sofar. i'd like to see those toggle switches covered somehow, on the inside. maybe another slick little bit of metalsahping for a shroud around them?

i love all the cases spawned by orac :p

some really great craftsmanship on this one so far. good job :)
i'm invincible!

Wow. Very nice so far. I'm feeling it.
Love your mods, man. Very inspirational.

gota ask what tools you are using for all the cutting. like the radiator grill for example. very nice. and it looks like you are working in your kitchen

I use the same tools for the acrylic and the aluminium. Before I can saw into the material I drill a hole to get the sawblade in. Next I use this saw

figuurzaag.jpg

The blades can be changed and you can buy different kind of blades for metal, plastics and wood.
Next thing I do is file the edges, just use normal files. You can see them on the table in one of the pictures from the acrylic grill.

To give it a good finish I use sandingpaper. That's all I use and that's one of the reasons it takes so much time to finish the project.

The pieces of clear plexi you used for things such as routing the hoses, how did you get the L shape? Did you heat the plexi and bend it?

wow... only that saw, a drill, files, and sandpaper... I'm impressed. I've just been using a dremel on mine

Back