My 3 arcade racers I built

Chameleoki

Limp Gawd
Not sure whether this should go under computer mods or here. Anyway, I decided to build 3 racers in my basement.

I started with a 4' long x 2' wide x 5' high frame:

racers1.jpg

I then attached seats from Hondas, bolted to the frames. They still slide back and forth, allowing you to adjust them.

racers2.jpg

I then wired them all internally to power strips so everything turns on with one switch. And for that switch I used, what else??? An ignition switch with keys. Each key has it's own keychain with a brand of car on it, Corvette, Camero, etc. They were just the only ones I could find quickly. I'll probably try to find more exotic ones later.

racers3.jpg

Here are more pics of the final build. The wheel is force feedback and there are bass shakers in the back of the seats for added feel!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the outside panels. I think I might print out full color large format prints and paste them on, to give them an arcade-type feel! On the left is a cupholder and some empty space I'll probably fill in with a logo or something. On the right is the ignition switch and the dimmer for the light underneath the desk.

There's also a speaker volume and headphone jack under the right side which is hard to see.

Carpet underneath lets the pedals grip as if they are bolted to the frame, yet you can move them easily to where you want.

racers4.jpg

racers5.jpg

Not yet. Just Pro Race Driver, Trackmania and NFS:Underground 2. Two of the computers have just 9700pro's so my options are a bit limited if I still want to have it look good. Slowly I will probably upgrade them.

Plus, with having to buy 3 copies of each game, I usually hit the bargin bin.

very nice man...

im myself has a poorer vesion of that with a Driving force pro and a 20in tv... GT4 all day long

Thanks guys! If anyone wants the plans, they are really easy. There's only really 4 different cuts of wood. I can also take more detailed pictures of the wiring and such.

I'm [H]ard in the shorts and extremely impressed, that's gotta be a blast

It is awesome. It makes it MUCH more involving with the seats, pedals, force feedback wheel, and bass shakers. And having 3 people race against each other makes for some awesome finishes and lots of trash talking!

Nice touch on the cup holders as well. Obvisouly planning ahead to be able to drink tasty adult beverages while driving. All in all nicely done !!!

Aaawesome. I love the cup holders. And do the keyboards come down? Looks like they'd be a pita to type on way up there.

No, they don't come down. They are a bit of a pain to type on, but they are only there for the few games that require you to select things with the keyboard, so it was better to have it out of the way. I'll probably add a fan underneath the keyboards so you can be cooled as you drive.

I think we would like to have the money to buy three computers, racing wheels, etc. then getting the plans. :cool: But, very very nice job. Must have a blast with your friends.

wow.....congrats on an awsome gaming build!

now you gotta make a fps one....that like has 4 monitors in a circle on a table witht eh classic arcade joystick and flat buttons!!!

can you do all 3 ppl versus eahc other like multiplayer style?

if so that is sick!

That is a really nice setup! Nice work man.

I guess that the left one is your spot? :p

hehe, the beverage. no no, the color seat. No, the monitor thats it.

are those for friends or ur kids?

I am very impressed with that. So much that I too would consider doing something like that but only for the kids. NICE FREAKEN JOB MAN!!!

Are they all connected online or just to each other? Either way thats so freaking amazing! How much do it cost you for everything besides the computers and monitors if you dont mind me asking?

They are also connected online so you can race online or against each other via LAN.

Here's the approximate breakdown per machine. I'm just estimating here so these are approximates:

Wood/boards: $60
Nails/Screws: $10
Paint/Spray Paint: $10
Seats: $25-$40 at a salvage yard
Electrical/ignition/lights: $20 (some salvaged for free)
Seat cover: $15
Carpet: $8
USB hub/extenders: $20
Keyboard: $20
Wheel: $100
Speakers: $30
================
Rounded Approximate Total: $320

I saved some on the wood I reclaimed from previous projects and speakers I had for two of the machines.

Just an idea for a future project on expanding this...I don't know about you, but for me, even though I love racers, I love all types of game...it would be really sweet if you had a swiveling keyboard tray that had the steering wheel mounted to it on one side and keyboard on other....then you just flip them over if you are using one...

Advice for the panels? Paint it all black then install some lighting...also you could think about building enclosures that swing down and enclose the player...but I'm sure you've thought of it...

Great job though...

heheheheeh you should get a joystick and a keyboard also for each station, that was you and your buddies could play on bf2 at the same time...

scenario:
you are a in the ahv1-chopper as the pilot (joystick)
your buddy is the gunner (keyboard)

not too sure if you can use a steering wheel in bf2 though....

I actually had enclosed versions but they were too big and too hot. I plan on building removable armrest boxes that will have velcro on top to hold a joystick and throttle for flying sims.

Back