The "Watch Me Overclock, Guys!" Thread - AMD Edition - The Sequel

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
in true DC Forum fashion, i have started a thread to journal my (and hopefully others -- MNScout and more) progress in OCing

in this thread, i offer up my A64 -- i began stress testing 9 days ago, and am now on the tenth -- we're at 2100MHz doing a 24hr run of Prime95...

so far, about 22hrs into the test (might just let this one go over 24 hrs -- dont' want to stay up too late - school tomorrow), we're all good :D

let's push for more MHz!

I have two Mobile Athlon XPs, both 2400s, a 35w and 45w. I'll see what I can get out of them. The 35W is on a LanParty NFII Ultra B :), the 45W is in a Soltek Qbic EQ-3701 :( The 35W is at 1.35V/1.8GHz, while the 45W is humming along at 1.325V/1.2GHz. They are both HTPCs, so noise must be kept in check. I also need to get an HDD in the 35W rig :eek:

ok here is a real question.

If the BIOS does not allow for Overclocking, is there any way to do it in windows? The 1700+ in sig is the one in question.

lozaning, edit your post out or you might get a vacation.Friendly warning, read the thread on top

Good going Carnival. What core/model a64 are you taking advantage of? I'm sure even an old clawhammer can go higher than 2.1ghz :cool: Let me know if you need any hints/tips to go faster. The venice in my sig got to 2.85ghz on air last month....it's waiting on its new home in a dfi sli-dr hopefully tommorow...then watercooled by a swiftech apex kit :D Hopin for a chilly 2.9ghz from my $146 , 1.8ghz, 3000+ :p Folding 24/7 of course.

magnusvir said:

If the BIOS does not allow for Overclocking, is there any way to do it in windows? The 1700+ is the one in question.
See if your mobo is supported by Clockgen

magnusvir said:

If the BIOS does not allow for Overclocking, is there any way to do it in windows? The 1700+ is the one in question.

Not sure what mobo you have, but check out clockgen. It will let you oc in windows, up the vcore, etc. It's a great tool if your mb is supported.
BTW is that one of the golden 1700+'s from 3 yrs ago that were hitting 2.5ghz+ ?

Edit: Doug beat me to the link while I was up getting a beer :p

I'll get you all some effects that the oc had on F@H speeds, in awhile. Right now I'm swamped with school hw.

I'll start an informative thread with some tables and pictures of how the speed of F@H wu times changed. I'll do a bunch of test on just one wu by changing the overclock and taking the times of the next 5 frames and then I'll just take the middle three frames.

I have the plan but now I need to find the time - I'm off to bed so I can get up and do homework in the morning before class.

-MN Scout

SpoogeMonkey said:
Does it have an nf2 chipset (doubt it but I'll ask anyways)

no its a SiS 735 or so it says in the POST screen. Some no name brand called American Megatrends. I literally found this mobo and proc thrown on the side of the road with a fully functional 1700+ and mobo so I did not really care about not being able to o/c.

magnusvir said:
Its a generic SiS mobo so looks like its a no go. Any other proggie out there?
Clockgen needs a supported Clock Generator. One of the more enthusiast firendly chipsets is ap lus, but the main sticking point is the clock generator. ClockGen even works on some Dell systems. It's worth a shot.

DougLite said:
Clockgen needs a supported Clock Generator. One of the more enthusiast firendly chipsets is ap lus, but the main sticking point is the clock generator. ClockGen even works on some Dell systems. It's worth a shot.

So there seems to be different versions of it. Which should I choose?

American megatrends made the bios, sis made the chipset.

I'd try the ecs version, I think they use SiS chipsets and/or pc chips....worth a shot...worst that will happen is you'll have to reboot. Just shut down folding while you're messing with it.

DougLite said:
. I also need to get an HDD in the 35W rig :eek:
you need a hard drive?
have you looked at your sig?

SpoogeMonkey said:
Good going Carnival. What core/model a64 are you taking advantage of?

it is a clawhammer (i wish there were a sad yet bitterly defiant to the death smiley for my purchase. :()

SpoogeMonkey said:
American megatrends made the bios, sis made the chipset.

I'd try the ecs version, I think they use SiS chipsets and/or pc chips....worth a shot...worst that will happen is you'll have to reboot. Just shut down folding while you're messing with it.

thanks, will do. Just need to finish my online physics hw first and then tinker around.

I hate you vague electric potential questions.:mad:

Carnival Forces said:
you need a hard drive?
have you looked at your sig?

it is a clawhammer (i wish there were a sad yet bitterly defiant to the death smiley for my purchase. :()

Thats still a good chip.....keep pushing it, it'll get real close to 2.4ghz with decent air cooling.

DougLite needs a hard drive like a hooker needs to get laid :eek: :p

SpoogeMonkey said:
DougLite needs a hard drive like a hooker needs to get laid :eek: :p
I took one for the team on that. I've donated 8 drives in the past month to the [H]orde, and sold quite a few others in an effort to get a 3700+ San Diego system going and folding (One of my hard drives was traded towards that chip). I've heard it came from a good wafer - one of its wafer mates hit 2.85 on stock voltage and cooler :) Just need to buy an aTX 12V 2.0 PSU for it, and it'll be good to go.

BTW, your quote is now in my sig.

DougLite said:
I took one for the team on that. I've donated 8 drives in the past month to the [H]orde, and sold quite a few others in an effort to get a 3700+ San Diego system going and folding (One of my hard drives was traded towards that chip). I've heard it came from a good wafer - one of its wafer mates hit 2.85 on stock voltage and cooler :) Just need to buy an aTX 12V 2.0 PSU for it, and it'll be good to go.

BTW, your quote is now in my sig.

Right on, I'm quoted :D My (main) 3000+ venice is a week 17 chip, and it oc's like crazy. Once I get the water flowing on this one, the Scythe Ninja is going on the 2nd 3000+ which is only @ 2.5ghz now, and it's usually tied up 8hrs/day with World of Warcraft. Hopefully with better cooling, it'll
get to 2.7ghz.

So you're down to.........2,152gb of HD :rolleyes: Good to hear you're helping out all around: a few gb traded/sold for more ghz is always good. I just wish I would've found out about these 364/600 pt wu's a long time ago....only just enabled that in my config when I formatted for the nw A64 boxen.

yay! i'm an idiot. stopped the test at 23 hours 24 minutes -- no errors.

that's fine, but, i just realized i have ~5 downloads going so i can't restart.. (read: don't feel like restarting...)

looks like i'll just stress test some more!

well, just started the "Blend" stress testing (tests lots of RAM too), let's hope nothing nasty turns up overnight... :eek: *crosses fingers*

good night, everyone!

SpoogeMonkey said:
Right on, I'm quoted :D My (main) 3000+ venice is a week 17 chip, and it oc's like crazy. Once I get the water flowing on this one, the Scythe Ninja is going on the 2nd 3000+ which is only @ 2.5ghz now, and it's usually tied up 8hrs/day with World of Warcraft. Hopefully with better cooling, it'll
get to 2.7ghz.

So you're down to.........2,152gb of HD :rolleyes: Good to hear you're helping out all around: a few gb traded/sold for more ghz is always good. I just wish I would've found out about these 364/600 pt wu's a long time ago....only just enabled that in my config when I formatted for the nw A64 boxen.
Negative, 2,922GB is current, as my dad has acquired three 300GB Seagate drives to cover my losses. My losses are the gain of other folders - I have a pair of 40GBs, a 120GB, and six 18GB SCSI drives donated to folders. Another 80GB unit and some other drives may worm their way into folding boxen as well. I have plenty of space, no box will go driveless if I have drives to spare :) One of my 160GB Maxtors that was in RAID-5 died today after my dad touched and zapped the PCB while upgrading to the 300GB units :mad: I have two more that will be up soon.

well, i'm on to the stress testing/burning in the 2.12GHz phase , this one will probably go until this coming monday night (as i will be out of town...)

btw, i'm using "in place large FFTs (the second option -- maximum heat/power consumption) to stress/test burn-in

what do you use / recommend?

magnusvir said:
I literally found this mobo and proc thrown on the side of the road with a fully functional 1700+ and mobo so I did not really care about not being able to o/c.

A puppy I could understand, but.. a perfectly working 1700+ w/ mobo?!!?
:eek: :eek: :p

Blah, 364/600 point work units? Know the funny thing? My board with a pair of 2400+ MPs gets 600 point gromacs day in, day out. That PC has 640mb RAM.

My main PC, 3200+ A64 E3 @ 2.45ghz w/ 1GB RAM, well, for example its getting some nothing 100pt gromacs right now. -forceasm -advmethods, I missing anything? :p

CaptRingold said:
A puppy I could understand, but.. a perfectly working 1700+ w/ mobo?!!?
:eek: :eek: :p

Blah, 364/600 point work units? Know the funny thing? My board with a pair of 2400+ MPs gets 600 point gromacs day in, day out. That PC has 640mb RAM.

My main PC, 3200+ A64 E3 @ 2.45ghz w/ 1GB RAM, well, for example its getting some nothing 100pt gromacs right now. -forceasm -advmethods, I missing anything? :p
have you enabled bigpackets? (i'm assuming that you used the service installer and so you had the option to during the console setup)

Carnival Forces said:
well, i'm on to the stress testing/burning in the 2.12GHz phase , this one will probably go until this coming monday night (as i will be out of town...)

btw, i'm using "in place large FFTs (the second option -- maximum heat/power consumption) to stress/test burn-in

what do you use / recommend?

Thats what I used, but the 'blend' happened to spot RAM errors I had a lot faster when I was stress testing earlier this year

edit: yep, bigpackets=yes in the .cfg, just checked

CaptRingold said:
Thats what I used, but the 'blend' happened to spot RAM errors I had a lot faster when I was stress testing earlier this year

edit: yep, bigpackets=yes in the .cfg, just checked
yeah, memtest tops my RAM out at a "FSB" of 226...so i'm thinking i'll stress test pretty heavily there -- with blend and in-place (separate runs, of course)...

Heh, so this is why I wasn't getting good WU:

Some time in July, around the 21st according to my logs, I mysteriously added a client in C:\Data\Folding, and started using it, instead of my traditional C:\Folding folder. The Data\Folding wasn't configured right, and for some reason, I must've moved all the appropriate pointers to it for it to launch, hide, and be tracked my EM III.

Better watch myself. Walking around the house while I'm asleep is one thing, costing [H] (and myself) some ppd is another.. not to mention the poor, poor WU that sat and languished to its expiration..

i'm still at whatever i was in the last thread. *cough*

haven't felt like restarting yet. bite me :p (too busy folding... i'll do it tomorrow when it can't get a new WU)
i'm invincible!

On a 600 pointer I started at 270htx9=2.433 ghz and 220mhz ram because of a 333 mhz divider. I was at 310pt per day and then I decreased the speed down to 2.1 ghz and I went down to 270pts per day. So I still need more indepth research but we know that we want higher numbers. :D

Borg some computers for me!

-MN Scout

just got back from a debate tournament, i stress tested perfectly for ~147hrs at 2.12GHz, now at 2.13... keep on going, baby! :D

this is bad, about 5 hours into stress testing at 2.18GHz, the machine restarts on its own :confused:

all i was doing was AIM / Firefox / Prime95 :(

after Windows finished restarting i checked the "results.txt" file and there were no errors in prime, so i assume it's a Windows problem...let's hope it is!

Picking up a 3800+ end of next week, selling my 3200+ tomorrow.

X2 3800 + DFI = WU Monster

guess I'll chronicle the OC here too

CaptRingold said:
Picking up a 3800+ end of next week, selling my 3200+ tomorrow.

X2 3800 + DFI = WU Monster

guess I'll chronicle the OC here too

sweeeeet

i wonder, is OCing dual core any different from single core?

update: now at 2.19GHz :D

now at 2.2GHz, been testing for ~20hrs, almost at the stable mark!

this is so awesome, with my late (read-passed away) piece of shit Chaintech ZNF3-150 motherboard my max overclock was 2.1, i've doulbed that and there's still room now

i <3 MSI

Carnival Forces said:
update, at 2.21 now; ringold how goes it with you?

hmm, i'll have to bump my axp so you don't catch me ;) course, that means restarting. not that i don't need it (new cats & ffdshow filter) but it interrupts my folding/computer using.

oh yeah, i'm at 2.25 now... i have to hurry :p

i'm invincible!

rogue_jedi said:
hmm, i'll have to bump my axp so you don't catch me ;) course, that means restarting. not that i don't need it (new cats & ffdshow filter) but it interrupts my folding/computer using.

oh yeah, i'm at 2.25 now... i have to hurry :p

i'm invincible!
on what CPU? starting at what base GHz?

how are you stress testing, rogue? at each 1MHz increase, i run Prime95 on in-place large FFTs for at least 24 hrs (helps burn in too, i hope!), you?

its a 2400+ mobile. so 1.8ghz. 175x13 currently.

stress testing? prime95 when i put it at this, plus running it... um... all summer? yeah... my room is cooler now so i'm gonna bump the voltage again. hopefully the new psu i have (since the last time i tried it, with a powmax) will let me get 2.5 stable. i couldn't before, but yeah... not sure exactly what caused that. either the 200fsb on my pre-ultra nf2 or the crap voltage or... hmm... maybe i need a new mobo too?

the black knight always triumphs!

Back