Windows Vista...coming in 7 freakin versions...

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
..and no, it doesn't include server versions.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47665/47665.html?Ad=1

Basically:

Windows Vista Starter Edition (Ya might be better off with XP)
Windows Vista Home
Windows Vista Home Premium (HDTV compatibility and DVD authoring...think they caught wind of the HTPC market?)
Windows Vista Professional
Windows Vista Small Business Edition
Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
...and lastly, Windows Vista ULTIMATE Edition. Christ...the OSs are beginning to sound like videos cards.

Thanks, Microsoft. This will make it a lot easier for IT professionals and builders. It's going to be such fun pointing out the damn differences in more than half a dozen versions to our clients.

:rolleyes:

Though I like the fact that they are being thorough in their offering, it was hard enough to get small business owners not to buy computers with Home on it. I even had a lady that no matter how many times I specified she get Windows Server 2003 Small Business that she still got 2003 standard. She finally went back and got SBS, but the premium edition that she didn't need. You just can win.

Oh and just as an FYI, starter edition probably won't be available here. Its kind of the third world country OS.

instead of doing all that they should have just added additional functionality in something like a service pack or software bundle

thats just damn confusing

its hard enough to remember the differences between the 2K versions, and the XP versions

specific differneces? professional still the one to get?

Maybe I'll just wait to see what the warez guys think is the best then order that one lol.

tiger starting to look good now huh? someone slap me for saying that :)

id like to see what some of the MS guys (see I did not say M$!) say about all of this.

My biggest curiosity lies in what the "Ultimate" version will handle...sounds like probably the closest to XP Pro with, I'm wagering, some extra server functions.

A million bucks says it costs more than the 360 on release :mad:

Link from article.

Windows Vista Starter Edition

Aimed at beginner computer users in emerging markets who can only afford a low cost PC. As with the XP version, Windows Vista Starter Edition is a subset of Home Edition, and will ship in a 32-bit version only (no 64-bit x64 version). Starter Edition will allow only three applications (and/or three windows) to run simultaneously, will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming network communications, and will not provide for logon passwords or Fast User Switching (FUS). Windows Vista Starter Edition is analogous to XP Starter Edition. This version will only be sold in emerging markets.

Windows Vista Starter Edition is lacking a number of unique features found in most of the other Vista product editions. There is no Aero user interface, for example, and no support for Castle-based networking. Other missing features include DVD Authoring, gaming common controller support, and image editing with enhanced touchup.

The marketing message: For beginner computer users in emerging markets who can only afford a low cost PC, Windows Vista Starter Edition provides a more affordable and easy introduction to personal computing because it is lower priced, tailored to the needs of beginner personal computer users, compatible with a wide range of Windows-based applications and devices, and tailored to each market.

Windows Vista Home Basic Edition

A simple version of Windows Vista that is aimed at single PC homes. Windows Vista Home Basic is the baseline version of Windows Vista, and the version that all other product editions will build from. It will include features such as Windows Firewall, Windows Security Center, secure wireless networking, parental controls, anti-spam/anti-virus/anti-spyware functionality, network map, Windows Search, Movie Maker, Photo Library, Windows Media Player, Outlook Express with RSS support, P2P Messenger, and more. Windows Vista Home Basic Edition is roughly analogous to Windows XP Home Edition. This version is aimed at general consumers, Windows 9x/XP Starter Edition upgraders, and price sensitive/first-time buyers. Like Starter Edition, Home Basic Edition will not support the new Aero user interface.

The marketing message: For mainstream Windows customers, Home Basic is where it all begins. Here, Microsoft will be pushing "peace of mind" and "performance," and will promise consumers a faster, more secure and reliable productivity experience. Home Basic Edition is secure by default and easy to keep secure. You can trust Windows with your most important tasks and data and complete everyday tasks faster.

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Whole home entertainment and personal productivity throughout the home and on the go. As a true superset of Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition will include everything from Home Basic, as well as Media Center and Media Center Extender functionality (including Cable Card support), DVD video authoring and HDTV support, DVD ripping support (yes, you read that right), Tablet PC functionality, Mobility Center and other mobility and presentation features, auxiliary display support, P2P ad-hoc meeting capabilities, Wi-Fi auto-config and roaming, unified parental controls that work over multiple PCs, backup to network functionality, Internet File Sharing, Offline Folders, PC-to-PC sync, Sync Manager, and support for Quattro Home Server. Windows Vista Premium Edition is similar to XP Media Center Edition, except that it adds numerous other features and functionality, including Tablet PC support. My guess is that this will be the volume consumer offering in the Windows Vista timeframe (today, XP Pro is the dominant seller). This version is aimed at PC enthusiasts, multiple-PC homes, homes with kids, and notebook users.

The marketing message: Home Premium Edition turns it up a notch. In addition to the baseline functionality offered in Home Basic, this version focuses on such things as integrated entertainment (movies, memories, and more), mobility (media and productivity on the go), and connected living (connect with family, friends, and home). Home Premium Edition supplies whole-home entertainment and personal productivity throughout the home and on the go.

Windows Vista Professional Edition[/v]

A powerful, reliable and secure OS for businesses of all sizes. Windows Vista Pro Edition will include domain join and management functionality, compatibility with non-Microsoft networking protocols (Netware, SNMP, etc.), Remote Desktop, Microsoft Windows Web Server, and Encrypted File System (EFS). Additionally, Pro Standard will include Tablet PC functionality. Windows Vista Pro is roughly analogous to XP Pro today. This version is aimed at business decision makers and IT managers and generalists.

The marketing message: Vista Pro is a powerful, reliable, and secure operating system. It helps PC users be more effective at work and offers improved connectivity and access to information, so that companies can realize better return on their IT investment.

Windows Vista Small Business Edition

Designed for small businesses without IT staff. Small Business Edition is a superset of Vista Pro Standard Edition, and includes the following unique features: Backup and Shadow Copy support, Castle and server-join networking, and PC fax and scanning utility. Additionally, Microsoft is looking at including a number of other features, many of which might be cut: These include Small Business Edition guided tour, pre-paid access to the Windows Live! Small Business or Microsoft Office Live! subscription services, Multi-PC Health (a managed version of Microsoft One Care Live), and membership in the Microsoft Small Business Club online service. Microsoft will offer a Step-Up program for Small Business Edition that will allow customers to upgrade to Windows Vista Enterprise Edition (see below) or Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (see below) at a reduced cost. This SKU is new to Windows Vista; there is no XP Small Business Edition. This version is aimed at small business owners and managers.

The marketing message: Small Business Edition provides smooth operation even for those businesses without an IT staff. It is the operating system designed to help small businesses start, grow and thrive.

Windows Vista Enterprise Edition

Optimized for the enterprise, this version will be a true superset of Windows Vista Pro Edition. It will also include unique features such as Virtual PC, the multi-language user interface (MUI), and the Secure Startup/full volume encryption security technologies ("Cornerstone"). There is no analogous XP version for this product. This version is aimed at business decision makers, IT managers and decision makers, and information workers/general business users. Enterprise Edition will be offered exclusively through Software Assurance.

The marketing message: Enterprise Edition provides an advanced application compatibility solution that will be crucial to many large business users, can be deployed to multiple language locales using a single image, and provides Secure Startup functionality for the ultimate in security on the go. It is the client OS that is optimized for the enterprise. Enterprise Edition reduces IT cost and complexity by providing tools that protect company data, reduce the number of required disk images, and ensure the compatibility of legacy applications.

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Pro Edition, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences, a Podcast creation utility (under consideration, may be cut from product), and online "Club" services (exclusive access to music, movies, services and preferred customer care) and other offerings (also under consideration, may be cut from product). Microsoft is still investigating how to position its most impressive Windows release yet, and is looking into offering Ultimate Edition owners such services as extended A1 subscriptions, free music downloads, free movie downloads, Online Spotlight and entertainment software, preferred product support, and custom themes. There is nothing like Vista Ultimate Edition today. This version is aimed at high-end PC users and technology influencers, gamers, digital media enthusiasts, and students.

The marketing message: Ultimate Edition is the "no compromises" version of Windows Vista. It provides the best performance, most secure and complete connection to the office, and is optimized for the individual. Everything you need for work or fun is included. It is the best operating system ever offered for the personal PC.

Wow it just gets more complicated with each major release of Windows. I understood Windows 2000 coming in 4 versions, 3 being different levels of server features, but not 7 frickin versions for anyone. Even XP Home and Pro is simply a way to charge a premium for Pro over a feature lacking Home.

Instead of building a large and full featured OS, and then ripping things out/disabling features to create cheaper versions, they should either release add-ons for an additional price so people can pick and choose what they need, or go back to the 9x & NT days where you have a single version. If there is 7 versions of Vista, this will be a nightmare for OEM's and admins.

I saw that in the news today. That's totally insane. Most consumers are confused by having just 2 versions. Seven versions are going to be enough to confuse many of the tech savvy. Who wants to have to compare 7 versions to see what they'll actually need?

OS X for the PC is sounding really tempting after hearing this.

With all the psychotic DRM bullshit they are going to start doing [ Like low quality video if your monitor dosn't have hardware decryption ], I'll be making the move to Linux before I go to Vista.

Where is the Windows Vista Ultimate ownz0r rox0r edition 1.26b platnium.... you know, thats the version that accually works. SO I want that one.

While it seems like a good idea to be able to get differentiated windows versions, I really dislike the way that some of this is broken up. To be honest, it would be so much nicer if there were 2 Version and one could 'buy' selected packages:

e.g. The ultimate edition has some MCE components and the gaming stuff. My gaming machine will not be a media server or even connected to anything but my LCD. I'd rather have a 'lighter' version of the OS without the components that I do not need, for reduced storage overhead. I just pray that nLite comes out for Vista.

This is going to suck even worse if they come out with an Office Vista or anything sounding like that. I still have to explain to people that Windows XP Proffessional does NOT include Office.

ya i can picture the lan partys now... i cant connect to you i have home standard etc.... i think its going to be a HUGE headache.... though i would like the play with the ultimate edition..... hopefully the list gets a bit smaller... but also if basic home sells for under 75 bux or so that would be a plus but if basic home starts at like a 100 its going to be a whole other ballgame

The marketing blurbs make me sick
I cant believe MS is this dumb

They need 2 versions max.
Home Users
Professionals

Server 2003 should be the business server.

All those added goodies should be addons, software packages.
MS needs to make their stuff simpler, not more complicated.

One version would be nice, with the ability to go to add/remove programs > add/remove windows components and be able to "plug in" what you need and "unplug" what you don't need.

Steel Chicken said:
id like to see what some of the MS guys (see I did not say M$!) say about all of this.

As a "MS guy" I think this is fucking retarded. Right now, sadly, it's WAAAAAY to complicated to get some people to buy Pro instead of Home. This is going to piss off system builders to no avail. The only people who will have the SLIGHTEST clue as to what these versions mean are IT guys, and PC enthusiasts. It will be funny overhearing the Best Buy drones drumming out "You NEED the Ultimate Edition. All the others don't work as well because they aren't made as reliable." :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't forget that there will actually be 14 versions of Vista because each of the 7 versions will be released in 32bit and 64bit.

I can't even begin to imagine how lame it will be to setup small office networks in 3 years when all 7 of a client's computers are a different version of Vista or XP. Wow, MS took something I was extremely excited about and fucked it all up. :mad:

Also, how much do you wanna bet the Ultimate Edition will be over $500? As an IT guy I'm going to need the UE because it's the only one that has the complete set of Vista features.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Here's to hoping this is a sick joke.

I can already tell you which version is going to be the most popular...

Windows Vista: Pirated Edition :p

In all seriousness, this is the generation where (hopefully) the common idiot will start to appreciate Apple's simplicity. There are 2 versions of OS X, workstation and server. ;)

The only one who wins is MS because many customers will end up buying 2 copies of Vista. They'll buy the standard el cheapo one, and realize they want another feature and have to buy another copy.

This really pisses me off. If Ramna Sao is reading this please tell your bosses I told them to fuck off. :D

Night Fox said:
I can already tell you which version is going to be the most popular...

Windows Vista: Pirated Edition :p

dang I'll have to change my boot screen j/k
pirate.jpg

Whatsisname said:
if you don't like it, then tell them you don't like it by not buying or using it :rolleyes:

While that is the most effective form of demonstration, it's okay to discuss this testament to Microsoft's lunacy. That whole place is a sinking ship, albeit slowly, but sinking nevertheless.

I too am suprised about their approach. There are a few threads here that sum up the reasons why perfectly.

Atleast for my work I know I'll be getting the Vista Enterprise Edition so I can sysprep/Ghost it acrross 4,000 boxes (some day).

I definately like the idea of 1 or 2 versions and you purchase/install modules. Suprised with this day and age they wouldn't go that direction instead. Hmmmm

I feel apple would be stupid to NOT sell their OS for white boxes.

Its not just the simplicity of 2 versions, but price aswell, Apple will sell you unlimited access on their server for much less than MS will. They would make a fortune with some good advertisment.

And people would probably pay for it too! I sure as hell cant afford the $500 for an ultimate edition just so i know whatever office i go to do IT work in im ready for anything.

I hope this is all crap or they have sence!

I wonder if they will release a version that is bare bones but doesn't limit functionality (such as the cheap edition)... I dont want Movie Maker, and a ton of other useless apps that I will never run but have to pay for...

If it was just a fully functionaly Vista + IE7 + MediaPlayer10 i'd be very happy. I don't mind downloading IE7 + MP10... So if it was just Vista, and a download link, that would be the one I'd buy.

I swear to God, if they increased the registration and activation bullshit, im learning Linux.

Footer4321 said:
ya i can picture the lan partys now... i cant connect to you i have home standard etc
That's exactly what I thought. *shudder*

Night Fox said:
this is the generation where (hopefully) the common idiot will start to appreciate Apple's simplicity.
And unfortunately, its incompatibility with lots of software.

Wouldnt it actually be 14 versions? I thought there are going to be a 32 bit and a 64 bit edition for each version? If not, which one is going to be offered in the 64 bit flavor?

That's kinda splitting hairs. There are also different licensing models, VLA, OEM, retail, etc. Factor out all those and you really looking at like ~60 different versions. ;)

Back