How do you all usually APPLY your thermal paste?

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
I know there's many way to do it, but I find some ways easier and better than others. I know of several ways including putting a tiny dab of paste on top of the CPU, then spreading it evenly or just putting a dab, and allowing the HS to spread it as you push it down.. Well, here's how I do it: first, clean the stock paste on the HSF with something like ArcticClean, then I put a very small dab on the bottom of the heatsink, smear it just a tiny bit. Then I put a tiny dab ontop of the CPU, and put the HSF onto the cpu. I like to smear a little on the bottom of the heatsink, but not on the CPU because I want the HS to smooth it out as it sits ontop of the processor. Anyways...I just had some few questions for y'all..

1. Does the thermal paste need to cover 100% every perfect square inch ontop of the CPU? Or only the middle section? Because I never smear mine on the CPU to cover it. I assume (from the ArcticSilver instruction site) that only a certain portion of the middle of the CPU generates the heat...

2. How do you guys usually apply YOUR thermal paste? List the steps. =D

You only need to put a small blob on the center of the CPU heat spreader as the actual CORE sit directly in the center underneath. That's the heat source so there is no need to spread the grease over the entire spreader surface. If anything it will have a negative effect although the temp difference isn't worth losing sleep over.

Small blob is best. I just clean both the CPU heatspreader and cooler surfaces with a little alcohol and then place a small blob of Artic Silver 5 (half a grain of rice size) onto the center of the CPU and then place the cooler on without wriggling it around to much.

Works great for me.

i spread it as uber flat and thin as i can get it with razor blade(think 5-8 minute job), but my heat sink and cpu are so flat and smooth that the as5 isnt doing too much on filling in uneven-ness so i get better performance out of doing it this way

_Korruption_ said:

Following the manufactuer's application instructions? What a novel idea ! :D

That's what I do when applying AS products as well so listing my steps would be pointless.

Now, if you're talking Shin Etsu pastes that's a different story.

P.S. - lets note that the recommended application method is different for small contact area CPU's (Athlon, P3 etc ...) than large contact area CPU like the P4 and A64.

you buy the 12-gram tube of AS5 and put all of it on [if youre ocing youill need it] [sarcastically]

Aww Crap! I put a shit load! It even bleeds out of the HSF... Good thing new HSF will arrive tomorrow ( _K_ Hyper48 missed me today... I got home 15 mins after FedEx attempted!!! )

I'll clean the CPU off (I have Goof OFF) and put just a rice-size drop.

BTW: My stuff is copper/silver-based, not AS5.

I really dont even think it matters, just put it on, who cares how... honestly. I dont think temps are really gonna matter that much anyway.

I follow the instructions too.

Cobalt2112 said:
Aww Crap! I put a shit load! It even bleeds out of the HSF... Good thing new HSF will arrive tomorrow ( _K_ Hyper48 missed me today... I got home 15 mins after FedEx attempted!!! )

I don't know what Good OFF is, but most people will say to use isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Just wipe off as much as you can with a lint free cloth, then clean with isopropyl alcohol (95%+ works best...)

I put a small dab on my penis and then work it onto the cpu with circular motions, typcally counterclock wise as I find clock wise to not perform as well.

Cobalt2112 said:

Goof OFF is some pretty harsh stuff, I wouldn't use it. Go with the 91% Alchy route as mentioned before.

I've tried the grain of rice method (manufacturers instructions.) It flat out doesn't work as well as applying a thing even layer across the entire surface of the IHS. I start with a blob right in the center and then just use a paper business card to spread it thin. I know the grain of rice works better for some, it just doesn't for me.

I try to put it on the pins of the cpu and make sure it goes into the cpu socket holes evenly.

serbiaNem said:
I try to put it on the pins of the cpu and make sure it goes into the cpu socket holes evenly.

Now you really will feel bad if someone tries that, won't you :)

I went commando this time, I didn't put any paste on my heatsink of my....

K6-2
tongue.gif

on the barton I did the credit card method, so far it isn't running any cooler than the grain of rice method.

I Usually put little dabs all over the heat spreader and then put hte heatsink on and"wiggle" it around to ensure an even coat. ..

91%, I dont think they sell that at my local CVS/RiteAid or SuperMarket. Some bums my buy it to drink it. :confused:

Paully's5.0 said:
Goof OFF is some pretty harsh stuff, I wouldn't use it. Go with the 91% Alchy route as mentioned before.

Hi All,

Relatively new to thermal paste application having only done a few times. My question is : Should there be any difference in application for Dual core processors given that they have two cores side by side (I'm guessing two sources of heat) instead of a single core in the centre ?

I'm thinking primarily of AS5 application (They specify that a single rice grain size amount should be put in the centre of the CPU and then the heatsink should be used to squish it out)

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.

Best Regards,
Caspanis :)

i really don't think you'll see a huge difference in performance any way you put it on. just don't put too much and i think you're ok. according to dan's data you can use toothpaste and it's actually better (over a short period of time) at transferring heat than as5 :D

Goof off contains xylene which is an excellent solvent/cleaner. It leaves zero residue behind. As mentioned the normal isoproply (I can't spell this word) alcohol leaves major residue (70% pure). Electronics stores and such sell 99% pure for cleaning electronics components. But I think the faq off of artic silvers website (from a while ago) recomends goof-off. I used it to clean my p4 when I installed my zalman and it worked awesome. I used the goof off with some lens cleaning cloth. Apply with a soaked qtip end, wipe off with lens cloth.

kandor said:
Goof off contains xylene which is an excellent solvent/cleaner. It leaves zero residue behind. As mentioned the normal isoproply (I can't spell this word) alcohol leaves major residue (70% pure). Electronics stores and such sell 99% pure for cleaning electronics components. But I think the faq off of artic silvers website (from a while ago) recomends goof-off. I used it to clean my p4 when I installed my zalman and it worked awesome. I used the goof off with some lens cleaning cloth. Apply with a soaked qtip end, wipe off with lens cloth.

Acetone or xylene like you said would be the best bet for getting it clean with no residue. Acetone might be a little bit better but either work just fine. Acetone is used in labs to clean the glassware when you need it perfectly clean.

caspanis said:
Hi All,

Relatively new to thermal paste application having only done a few times. My question is : Should there be any difference in application for Dual core processors given that they have two cores side by side (I'm guessing two sources of heat) instead of a single core in the centre ?

I'm thinking primarily of AS5 application (They specify that a single rice grain size amount should be put in the centre of the CPU and then the heatsink should be used to squish it out)

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.

Best Regards,
Caspanis :)
the X2 has one physical peice of silicon taht contains two cores, which is about as big as a regular 130nm a64 core. normal methods of applying still apply for the X2. only the Pentium D's based on Presler have two actual seperate cores, the Smithfield processors are one physical peice of silicon as well.

http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1109721988.jpg

anyone found any significant improvements by polishing the brass face of the heatsink so you can use a thinner coat of paste? Would figure since it doesnt have as many crevases to fill in the metal it would allow more metal to contact directly

I use my old unused pci slot covers for it... they work great! Like putting peanut butter on a piece of toast. Mmmmm.. lol. they're great box openers also. I always have a few in my pen jar. :)

serbiaNem said:

I just giggled soda out of my nose reading that.

boostdemon said:
anyone found any significant improvements by polishing the brass face of the heatsink so you can use a thinner coat of paste? Would figure since it doesnt have as many crevases to fill in the metal it would allow more metal to contact directly
Yeah, that's called heatsink lapping. And yes, it does improve the heatsinks cooling capabilities. I think mine went down by 2-3C when I did it.

edit: do a search for "heatsink lapping guide"
and if you want to do it yourself, I recommend one of the kits sold here by an old forum member
http://www.easypckits.com

MellowDude said:
You only need to put a small blob on the center of the CPU heat spreader as the actual CORE sit directly in the center underneath.

Works great for me.

True, but the whole point of a heat spreader is to evenly distribute heat on all of the base of the heat sink.

D3v01D said:

OMG!!!! is that real? or a gag? what a complete d00phus. sorry, but that's a such a rookie manuver.. that just goes against common sense. wow.

Swordfish45 said:
True, but the whole point of a heat spreader is to evenly distribute heat on all of the base of the heat sink.
no its not. its to protect the core.

Back