Windows 98/ME question

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
My sister has a laptop that runs Windows ME and installed some new ram and now has a fatal error. She can click through all of it and get to the desktop.

Here's what I need...I know I use to use a command for Win 98 that I could boot up into DOS and then run to repair, backup and replace the registry. What is that command? I can't remember.

Thanks!

DarkCyber said:
My now has a fatal error. Thanks!

well thats ME for ya, lol
its one of the f keys f12 i think, not sure, i jsut randomly hit them till it works, lol

F8 on boot
select boot to command prompt
run scanreg.exe you can do a restore within that.

I would also look into running memtest on the system to make sure there is nothing wrong with the RAM. As much as I hate ME and love to blame everything on it, there may be a problem with the RAM.

SmokeRngs said:
I would also look into running memtest on the system to make sure there is nothing wrong with the RAM. As much as I hate ME and love to blame everything on it, there may be a problem with the RAM.

What's a good memtest program? I haven't used any in a while.

SmokeRngs said:

Agreed, you don't want to do any kind of repair on the drive until you know the RAM is kosher, otherwise you may just corrupt more data.

OP, run memtest86+ off the the ultimate boot CD, link in sig. You can also download just that one program, google for the link. You need to let it run for several hours, there is no stopping and starting the program, just boot to the disk and let it go. 0 errors is the only acceptable result.

Did you take her total ram above 512 megs?? I was wondering if ME had the same problems as 98SE did with more than 512..?? The tweak that supposedly fixed the problem not withstanding..

scanreg /REPAIR is the command line tool you run to repair the registry. It will give you a list of five backed up registries. Take your pick and it will do the rest.

I suggest you save yourself the time and trouble and just put win2k/xp on there ( I suppose the responsible thing now would be xp, as 2k is out of it's life. *shrug* ).

XOR != OR said:
I suggest you save yourself the time and trouble and just put win2k/xp on there ( I suppose the responsible thing now would be xp, as 2k is out of it's life. *shrug* ).

I totally agree with that. Windows 98/ME are POS and I like to blame everything on them as well!!

Back