Help with audio driver setup

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
I've got a MSI Neo2 motherboard and a Hercules Fortissimo II sound card.

The motherboard driver CD included Realtek 97 which I installed. I did not have sound at this time...and I noticed that it gave me an equalizer which made me think that it was simply a generic sound driver, which I dont need since there are specific drivers for the fortissimo (ive been using my fortissimo before without problems, I just upgraded my computer). So, I uninstalled the Realtek and installed my Fortissimo driver(i used the latest fortissimo driver from hercules' website which is now called crystal sound). It still didnt work. So, I installed the Realtek again. It still didnt work...but even worse, after booting up windows, the processor would literally freeze. To solve this problem, I rebooted windows and then shut it off during the windows loading screen, then rebooted again so it would give me the option of booting in safe mode (to my knowledge there is no way to tell it to boot into safe mode before startup under normal circumstances). After booting in safe mode things worked, I uninstalled Realtek, rebooted and now my processor doesn't freeze anymore. When windows loads, it detects new hardware -- "Multimedia Audio Controller" but cant find a driver for it.

In my Sounds and Audio devices, all the audio devices are grayed out. The following items are listed (and all are reported to be working properly):

* LITE-ON LTR-40125S (cd rom)

* TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612

* Unsupported customized Crystal Sound Fusion Audio Device

* Audio Codecs

* Legacy Audio Drivers

* Media control devices

* LEgacy video capture devices

* Video codecs

Are these the drivers you got? here

If you want to stick with the onboard audio to at least to get your system running:
  • Completely remove the Fortisimmo drivers and audio card from your system.
  • Download and use the included audio driver with the latest nForce drivers (ver 6.66).
  • Reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

Did you disable onboard sound in the bios. You probably have a conflict between onboard sound and the soundcard. So boot the machine, go into bios,disable onboard sound. Remove realtek drivers. install(hardware)soundcard. ignore windows found new hardware(cancel it) and move on to install your soundcard drivers. :D

(to my knowledge there is no way to tell it to boot into safe mode before startup under normal circumstances).

Press the F8 key as soon as windows starts to load and you will be presented with a menu that allows you to choose from several different options. ;)

Are these the drivers you got? here

Yeah, that is the driver (singular) that I got (without the soundbank).

Did you disable onboard sound in the bios. You probably have a conflict between onboard sound and the soundcard. So boot the machine, go into bios,disable onboard sound. Remove realtek drivers. install(hardware)soundcard. ignore windows found new hardware(cancel it) and move on to install your soundcard drivers.

No I hadn't specifically disabled onboard sound. I just went into the Bios and I wasnt sure how to do this...but I did see something about AC97 which was enabled (the sound driver i got with the motherboard was called AC97) so I disabled this, hopefully that's the right thing. I removed all the sound drivers, reinstalled the hercules one....and still no luck.

If you still have trouble, there's also this little reg-cleaner program from Hercules.

Hmm...might help but I assume any new install would be rewriting the proper keys, I find it hard to believe that the initial install/uninstall of the realtek completely prevented hercules from working later on.

Press the F8 key as soon as windows starts to load and you will be presented with a menu that allows you to choose from several different options.
thanks for the tip

Used the registry cleaner, and it worked. Well, there was still some funky stuff but I got it to work now. Phew :)

Stuh505 said:
...that is the driver (singular)....
From the Hercules website:

"This package will update your drivers to version 4101, and the CPL (control panel) to version 1.33"

;)

There are usually many little drivers in one audio driver package.

Back