Fable... oh man...

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
This is definitely a treat... I'm about 2.5 hours into the game and love it so far. The gameplay is superb, the story so far is fun and has lots of subplots going and beginning, and the graphics... oh the graphics... with maxed settings they are truly gorgeous, although some of the textures could definitely use to be a bit higher resolution (however, it doesn't detract from the overall graphics quality). I just got and installed it today. How are other people's impressions? If you've finished it already, how did you feel the game was overall story-wise (please, no spoilers)? Did it wrap things up nicely for what should have been wrapped up?

I'm about that far into it and am enjoying it so far. The interface shows it's console roots. It bugs me that there's a half dozen different menus for my inventory, instead of just being a sortable list of some kind. The combat so far just seems to be charge and swing, I'm hoping that later on oponents acutally force me to use the block key. I like the atmosphere and art style though.

{bmf}CrackSmoke said:
I heard it was way to short
i beat it on xbox over a weekend. It's incredibly short. I think my total in game time was 11 hours, though i could be wrong.

But the game was just rad. And yes, later enemies in the game do cause you to develop a strategy to fight them, and give you reason to use the block key ;)

I think the PC version is around 30% bigger than the Xbox version, or has about 30% more "things to do".

I took me around 12 hours to beat the main quest and I didn't do a lot of side quest. Actually, I don't think I did any side quests that wasn't in the same path as the main one (meaning that I did not lost much time doing the side quests). I played a "light" side character and I will start an evil one in the near future. I usually don't replay my games but I will for this one since there were a lot of times that you could choose between good or evil and the game wasn't 20+ hours of gaming.

I didn't used a lot the block key until I was far away in the game but even then, at that time, I was almost always using the enflame attack spell.

Like you said, the menu interface sucks really bad. Try to use the Fx keys, it is really handy.

I read an XBOX FAQ, to know what are the new quests added for the PC. The added quests make a well better global story, it makes a better all wrapped up ending (got troubled expressing that sentence in English so I hope you understand what I try to say...).

edit...
Forgot to mention, they say they added lots of equipment. A chance they did because I found that there weren't a lot. There is really a low number of armor types, sword, bow, clothing, etc... I was disapointed with that but all in all, I really like the game. I wouldn't play as an evil character if I didn't :p

About 6 hours in now, loving it still... I do a lot of the sidequests and random stuff that pops up to do :).

Yeah, Fable is a great game, I got it the day it came out, so fun to kick chickens. I may have to buy the new one though, isnt it like $20?

galdoes16 said:
Yeah, Fable is a great game, I got it the day it came out, so fun to kick chickens. I may have to buy the new one though, isnt it like $20?

Nope, $50 at Amazon.

I got too powerful too soon. I was real good at the card matching game and won a bunch of money. And then I went and bought a badass sword. That made it kind of disappointing for all the quests I finished because none of the weapons I got from those quests came close to the one I bought. So I ended up just selling all the quest rewards instead of using them.

Yeah, im liking the game too, though i just started it (i have beaten the Xbox verison though). Incidentally, turn the shadow option down just one notch in video settings and your performance doubles in some areas.

Sorry but I don't keep up on these kinds of games since I don't really play them. Is this an Xbox only game or is it available on the PC? The reason I ask is because my son likes to play these kinds and I thought that maybe he'd be interested.

Paithar said:
Sorry but I don't keep up on these kinds of games since I don't really play them. Is this an Xbox only game or is it available on the PC? The reason I ask is because my son likes to play these kinds and I thought that maybe he'd be interested.

Fable came out on X-box. The PC version with new quests and weapons just came out called Fable: Lost Chapters. Your son would like it.

Yonkers said:
Fable came out on X-box. The PC version with new quests and weapons just came out called Fable: Lost Chapters. Your son would like it.
Don't know how old your son is, or if it matters at all, but the game is rated M.

Well, I went out and got the game.. and it certainly looks impressive.. the first 30 minutes or so are decent enough.

Small problem, though. My sound randomly cuts out. Once it's gone, it's gone. I have to exit the game and restart it for it to comeback. The only sound that remains once it goes is cinematic music.. but not the voices to go with it.

Weird issue.. sound ends with a sorta scratchy noise, if that's any help.

Toilet Duck said:
Well, I went out and got the game.. and it certainly looks impressive.. the first 30 minutes or so are decent enough.

Small problem, though. My sound randomly cuts out. Once it's gone, it's gone. I have to exit the game and restart it for it to comeback. The only sound that remains once it goes is cinematic music.. but not the voices to go with it.

Weird issue.. sound ends with a sorta scratchy noise, if that's any help.

Yea, my voices randomly cut out, just the text would be up there to read.

Im certain its a Creative sound driver issue & will be resolved soon as others experience the same stuff.....

ZigZagZeppelin said:
Yea, my voices randomly cut out, just the text would be up there to read.

Im certain its a Creative sound driver issue & will be resolved soon as others experience the same stuff.....

I've got an Audigy 2 and don't have that problem.

I may have found a strange fix.. the readme mentions changing your sound settings if volume is too low..

Or, rather, it says that you should use Desktop Stereo Speakers under Control Panel-Sound instead of the Headphones options. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, and went to the menu. Somehow, and I REALLY don't know how, it had been switched to quadraphonic speakers or some crap. I can't imagine how it happened, since it's been on headphones ever since my last format.

At any rate, switched to Desktop Stero Speakers, checked my creative Audio Console, switched it to 2/2.1 speakers instead of headphones as well, and started the game again.

I just played for about 1-2 hours with no sound cut outs... there is the occasional psuedo scratchy noise when someone speaks or you go back on a menu, but it is veeery short and doesn't bother me.

So, if ya have headphones, or not, try switching those settings around. Seems awfully silly, but it helped me at least.

I'm having multiple problems.

With shadows on, even the low setting, it causes the game to freeze up for me. With shadows off, it runs just fine without a whistle.

Then sound wise (using an audigy 1) my sound seems REALLY low when the sound is supposed to be played in the rear speakers. Does this game not like surround sound or something?

This game is absolutely a treat, and proof that we often see solid products come from Microsoft. I bought this game Friday night, and it has consumed 8 hours of my time so far. This game is possibly the best RPG i've ever played as it really uses a strong plot to help drive the story. I wish there were some easier ways to make money, but this game is just amazing. This is probably the best $50 i've ever spent on a game since Doom 3 came out, and would rank in the top three of all games in the $50-60 category.

One of the marks of a great RPG, is that you start getting emotionally attached to the various characters in the game, and this has done a great job at that. The last game that got me so attached to my characters, was probably Final Fantasy 7.

junehhan said:
This game is absolutely a treat, and proof that we often see solid products come from Microsoft. I bought this game Friday night, and it has consumed 8 hours of my time so far. This game is possibly the best RPG i've ever played as it really uses a strong plot to help drive the story. I wish there were some easier ways to make money, but this game is just amazing. This is probably the best $50 i've ever spent on a game since Doom 3 came out, and would rank in the top three of all games in the $50-60 category.

One of the marks of a great RPG, is that you start getting emotionally attached to the various characters in the game, and this has done a great job at that. The last game that got me so attached to my characters, was probably Final Fantasy 7.

Big blue lox/lionhead developed it, not microsoft.

junehhan said:

After awhile you will get almost every woman in the game panting after you, lol. As you build up your reknown & get given new "Expressions".

I especially liked "Flirt", "Sneer", "Sexy Hero pose".....they work well.
Some "Alignment" choices you get eventually that own are "Crotch grab", "Disco Dance", "Kiss My ass", etc.

Be advised to defeat the final enemy & his minions you will need a few Resurrection vials, at least 30 health and maybe 30 will potions.

Great game & awaiting the sequel.
:)

ZigZagZeppelin said:
After awhile you will get almost every woman in the game panting after you, lol. As you build up your reknown & get given new "Expressions".

I especially liked "Flirt", "Sneer", "Sexy Hero pose".....they work well.
Some "Alignment" choices you get eventually that own are "Crotch grab", "Disco Dance", "Kiss My ass", etc.

Be advised to defeat the final enemy & his minions you will need a few Resurrection vials, at least 30 health and maybe 30 will potions.

Great game & awaiting the sequel.
:)

I'm glad you let me know, as i'm getting to a point in the game where it's a bit harder. I just wish there was an easier way to make money, and they are also stingy with the experience points. Oh well, no more time to play till next weekend :(

I have a question for the more experienced... what's the deal with silver quests?

I mean, I get the general picture. Gold quests advance the plot, allowing you to "beat" the game. Bronze quests are little things you can find to do in the world, that don't affect anything outside of getting you some form of reward. Example: Pirate ghost guy in Oakvale, which is a niiiice way to get an Obsidian Greataxe rather early I might add =)

But, Silver quests... what the heck is up with them? The way it's described in game, they are optional quests much like the Bronze ones, only you collect them at the guild and they tend to be a little harder/more rewarding. But there's a problem: They disappear.

For example: When you start a game, and are finally an adult, look at the quest board. On mine, I can see one for the Hornet Queen, one for Supress Uprising, one for Killing a Troll, and one other. 1 Gold, 3 Silver. However, all 3 Silver say I'm not reknown enough to take them. "Sure" I thought to myself "I'll go kill the Hornet Queen and then take these". Wrong. Kill her, talk to Maze, and poof! All of them except maybe Supress Uprising are gone. Vanished. Not to mention you still not having enough reknown to do the uprising one.

"Well, screw this!" you say. "I'll just reload, go out into the world, dink around until I get enough reknown without doing any quests at all, THEN do them!" Right? Wrong. I got to about level 2 reknown wise by exploring most of the world open to you at the beginning of the game (save travelling on boats). Return to the guild.. and poof! They're gone.

So... my question is.. what's the deal here? Are there certain Silver quests tied to alignment or equipment or something? Or, are they randomly droped/added? Or is this just some weird bug where quests I shouldn't see (since I can't take them anyway) are popping up on my screen for no reason?

It's not that I want to 100% complete every quest, ever, right off of the bat. I just don't like knowing I've missed half of the quests in the game because of some weird reknown/advancement issue.

Toilet Duck said:
I have a question for the more experienced... what's the deal with silver quests?

I mean, I get the general picture. Gold quests advance the plot, allowing you to "beat" the game. Bronze quests are little things you can find to do in the world, that don't affect anything outside of getting you some form of reward. Example: Pirate ghost guy in Oakvale, which is a niiiice way to get an Obsidian Greataxe rather early I might add =)

But, Silver quests... what the heck is up with them? The way it's described in game, they are optional quests much like the Bronze ones, only you collect them at the guild and they tend to be a little harder/more rewarding. But there's a problem: They disappear.

For example: When you start a game, and are finally an adult, look at the quest board. On mine, I can see one for the Hornet Queen, one for Supress Uprising, one for Killing a Troll, and one other. 1 Gold, 3 Silver. However, all 3 Silver say I'm not reknown enough to take them. "Sure" I thought to myself "I'll go kill the Hornet Queen and then take these". Wrong. Kill her, talk to Maze, and poof! All of them except maybe Supress Uprising are gone. Vanished. Not to mention you still not having enough reknown to do the uprising one.

"Well, screw this!" you say. "I'll just reload, go out into the world, dink around until I get enough reknown without doing any quests at all, THEN do them!" Right? Wrong. I got to about level 2 reknown wise by exploring most of the world open to you at the beginning of the game (save travelling on boats). Return to the guild.. and poof! They're gone.

So... my question is.. what's the deal here? Are there certain Silver quests tied to alignment or equipment or something? Or, are they randomly droped/added? Or is this just some weird bug where quests I shouldn't see (since I can't take them anyway) are popping up on my screen for no reason?

It's not that I want to 100% complete every quest, ever, right off of the bat. I just don't like knowing I've missed half of the quests in the game because of some weird reknown/advancement issue.

Silver= optional side quests

When quests are available & you don't choose many all at once other Guild Members are also picking up quest cards.

I didn't do every side quest but I managed to do most.

Well, that kinda explains it.. but I still don't see why the first 3-4 silvers you see are completely out of your reach.

Oh.. wait... you mean they are there for aesthetic purposes? As in, you aren't supposed to do them, just see them there and not there later to let you imagine other people are working?

Seems corny, but ah well.

Toilet Duck said:
Well, that kinda explains it.. but I still don't see why the first 3-4 silvers you see are completely out of your reach.

Oh.. wait... you mean they are there for aesthetic purposes? As in, you aren't supposed to do them, just see them there and not there later to let you imagine other people are working?

Seems corny, but ah well.

If u can't select a quest its because your renown is not yet high enough.

No... I think you're missing the Catch-22 here.

When you begin the game with 0 reknown, there are quests sitting there that you cannot get because you have no reknown.

When you get the reknown to take them, via either Gold quests or exploring, those quests are no longer there. They vanish.

So you can't take them when you see them, and when you could take them they're gone. I was asking if that was a bug in the game, or intentional "fluff" quests just to make you feel silly.

That was in the xbox version aswell, I believe it was a bug/quests they never got to finish.

ohh i thought you were talking about the AWP whore on hardgaming...when I saw the title

I'm loving this game as well. If there's anything about a game that impresses me it's attention to detail and this game has it in spades. You definitely get the feeling the world operates completely independent of you.

I only have a couple of problems with the game so far:

1. The mouse control for the mini-games is terrible. From what I can tell it's totally impossible to do the card matching game because the mouse moves so slowly and jerkily. After reading this thread I'll try to tone down the video settings and see if it makes a difference.

2. For some reason nobody in the game sells plate mail helmets. In fact, helmets are a pain to find throughout the game. It seems like I was always looking for a matching helmet in this game and now I'm wearing full plate and I can't find a plate helmet anywhere. Very frikkin' annoying.

Other than that the game is awesome. The controls take a bit of getting used to and the interface could've done with a bit more polishing but all-in-all it can be configured to work well enough.

There definitely needs to be more games like this...

Allaxul said:
2. For some reason nobody in the game sells plate mail helmets. In fact, helmets are a pain to find throughout the game. It seems like I was always looking for a matching helmet in this game and now I'm wearing full plate and I can't find a plate helmet anywhere. Very frikkin' annoying.
There was no plate helmet in the XBox version either.

There is no plate helmets there are chainmail helmets and dark chainmail helemets along with bright. They look good with the platemail armor and they almost look like they belong to the suit. The funniest helmet is the pimp hat its funny as helll. I have beat this game twice and it rocks. I was completely evil and then completely good i completed all quests and got all the legendary weapons even skorms bow wich is the hardest to get and the best if you are an archer. i think if you beat the game you get more stuff and can complete more quests but i could be wrong but i kinda felt like it.

I think I'm beyond the XBox version's plot at this point. I'm in the Northern wastes. I have the Skorm Bow. Skorm Bow + MultiShot is just plain fun.

The northern wastes are pretty cool. So far I've found 3 custom helms. One is with a whole set of custom plate that's pretty nice.

Still, it bugs the hell out of me that shops would sell everything but plate helms. It just doesn't make sense. I've read that you can get the plate helm in the Arena but i didn't see it when I was there and when I found out that's where it was supposed to be I was already way beyond the Arena.

There's also a demon door that requires a full set of shiny plate from what I can tell. I've opened every other demon door in the game but I guess I'll never be able to open this one now. :(

I could almost swear that there were plate helms for sale at the bandit camp when I was playing earlier today. Anyone want to check, I am stuck at work.

I'm not an RPG person but I'm definatly going to check this one out. :)

SpeedRunner said:
I'm not an RPG person but I'm definatly going to check this one out. :)

I havn't been an rpg person for a very long time, but Fable comes along and hooks me back onto RPG's. The last two rpgs that I played are probably what were responsible for turning me off.

Back