K8V-MX/S ? Bios?

MaNiC

Weaksauce
I can't find a bios update at Asus for the K8V-MX/S board. If you try flash with the 0201 bios fir the MX (no S) it refuses. My bios version is 1007.001, the reason I need it is I have a Sempron64 in it and while everything works, I get a unknown BIOS error at boot and the CPU isn't properly identified by bios or in Windows. All helpfull suggestions are appreciated.

Just an update: I've recently received a brand new K8V-MX/S rev. 1.06 motherboard.

The following is from a post of mine, on a different forum:

... I've had a hard time finding any relevant info about this particular board. I have a K8V-MX "User Manual" and a K8V-MX "Driver CD", which only adds to the confusion: neither the "User Manual" nor the "Driver CD" applies to a K8V-MX/S ...

Indeed, the K8V-MX and K8V-MX/S are two very different motherboards, and require very different BIOSes.

Plus, there is NO support on ASUS' website for the K8V-MX/S; the only support there is for the K8V-MX: don't get fooled !

Here's an official ASUS picture of the K8V-MX:

http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/754/754_l.jpg

Key differences to spot a K8V-MX/S (compared to picture above):

- K8V-MX/S has one FireWire port on the backplate (above USB ports besides the Ethernet port) through a Via VT6307 chip located above the first PCI slot (this space is empty on K8V-MX)
- The 4-pin P4 power connector is located more or less at the centre of the board on a K8V-MX/S, while this 4-pin connector is located along the right edge on the K8V-MX board
- Onboard sound is provided by a Realtek ALC655 (above 3rd PCI slot) AC97 codec on the K8V-MX/S, while the K8V-MX has an Analog Device AD1888 codec

Here's a Czech site where all BIOSes for both motherboards can still be found:

http://www.bgslevi.cz/soubor.php?kod=CAC9745&typ=b

... easy enough to figure out even for non-Czech reading people. Look for the entries with "K8V-MX SI" for your K8V-MX/S BIOS. "SI" means "Systems Integrators", and seems to confirm the special OEM nature of the K8V-MX/S, hence the lack of official support from ASUS.

Notes:
- K8V-MX/S BIOSes are numbered as "10xx" i.e. 1007, 1008, 1010
- K8V-MX BIOSes are numbered as "02xx" i.e. 0203, 0211
- it does state "Beta" for all K8V-MX/S BIOSes (other than the 1007 version, which happens to be the original BIOS on my rev. 1.06 K8V-MX/S board)
- The K8V-MX/S BIOS is very simple, with fewer options or user configurable entries than on the K8V-MX. Overclocking parameters (among others) are nowhere to be found: no way to adjust the FSB (what ASUS calls "Stepless Frequency Selection" or SFS).

UPDATED: Fujitsu Siemens Computers distributes the K8V-MX/S as the "D1711" mainboard. Here's their link to the KV8-MX/S User Manual (in PDF format):

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Motherboards/FSC/D1711/A26361-D1711-Z120-UK.pdf

Hoping any of this can help someone down the line!

Regards,

HelzBelz

Hi,

can somebody send me the 1010 version for K8V-MX/S. The bgslevi.cz link is not working and I was not able to find it on the internet.

Thanks!

I don't like to necro, but I'm helping a friend's mom get one of these up and running and I need to find drivers for it, which has been a fruitless goose chase thus-far. The bioses linked are 404ed. Not sure what to do. If this thread doesn't catch what I need, I'll make my own thread in this same forum.

Back