BSOD using Sysprep

djnes

Fully [H]
When I brought my image down to a new machine, I got the inaccesible boot device BSOD. I tried running a repair and fixboot, to no avail.

My main question is, the image was created using an SATA drive on an Intel 915 board. I tried booting the image on a Intel 865 on a PATA drive. Was I supposed to edit any files or make any types of changes? Since both of these connections are detected natively during a normal XP install, I shouldn't have to load any drivers.

EDIT: Should I have loaded the Intel Chipset drivers before running sysprep?

Source:
3.2Ghz P4
Intel 915
512 MB DDR
Onboard Intel graphics
Maxtor SATA HDD

Destination
2.4Ghz P4
Intel 865
1024 MB DDR
Nvidia Ti4600
WD IDE HDD

What's the relevance, beyond what was in my original post?

Tisk-tisk, read the stickies. :p

Technet.
Technet.

Likely your on the right track, add the driver to the MassStorage section of sysprep.inf and supply the driver.

I did read the sticky, including the link to the STOP error code, but I didn't come up with anything useful. I was under the impression that it should have worked, since both controllers have native drivers.

djnes said:
I did read the sticky, including the link to the STOP error code, but I didn't come up with anything useful. I was under the impression that it should have worked, since both controllers have native drivers.
It should. However, the scenario fits the error.

Does it also bugcheck is you use, rebuildmassstorage=yes?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Post your sysprep.inf

Now, I know you aren't dumb enough, but I have seen it done before, so...

Remove any relevant infomation before posting it such as CD key and admin password.

;SetupMgrTag
[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=35

[UserData]
ProductID=Wouldn't you like to know!!!
FullName="My Name Was Here"
OrgName="Hewlett-Packard Company"

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=60

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
AreaCode=610

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
DistShare=whistlerdist

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[sysprepcleanup]

I know I don't have the section for MassStorage. Do you think that's the issue?

Sorry I didn't see the sysprep.inf post, it dropped down in my search list below the screen. Had to scroll down past the read posts to see it. ;)

Yep, check out the second link I posted.

Missing [SysprepMassStorage] Section Causes STOP 0x7B Error Message on Windows XP Sysprep Images
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 303786
Last Review : April 28, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q303786
SYMPTOMS
When you start Windows XP Setup after you copy an image to a new target computer, you may receive the following error message:
STOP 0x0000007B
INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
CAUSE
This problem can occur if the Sysprep.inf file (the Sysprep answer file) that was used on the master computer (before the image was created) was missing the [SysprepMassStorage] section.
RESOLUTION
When you use the [Sysprep] section with the "BuildMassStorageSection=yes" parameter in the Sysprep.inf file, you should ensure that the [SysprepMassStorage] section is present in conjunction with the [Sysprep] section.

Add

[Sysprep]
BuildMassStorageSection=yes

[SysprepMassStorage]

Thanks. Does it matter what the placement of those sections are in the file?

Hey djnes, sorry I didn't see this until now... Good eye Phoenix.

[Sysprep]
[SysprepMassStorage]

Is a GODSEND!!!

Are you going off my first draft of making an image document? Cause if so (or if not) I stressed how important those three lines are to the process :)

I took my corp image that was originally built on a Gateway 4200 (P3 600mhz) and have it on our latest and greatest HP DC5100 (with SATA) and it works like a CHAMP!

Just had to snake around with the new Broadcom NetXtreme drivers they require for that DC5100 model on my Ultimate Network Boot Disk (DOS).

And one more thing... Remember "building" the image is REALLY slow every other time you do it from one image to the next. (Building the image off the last one you make) I'm yet to find the technical reason why.

Grimmda said:
Hey djnes, sorry I didn't see this until now... Good eye Phoenix.

[Sysprep]
[SysprepMassStorage]

Is a GODSEND!!!

Are you going off my first draft of making an image document? Cause if so (or if not) I stressed how important those three lines are to the process :)

I took my corp image that was originally built on a Gateway 4200 (P3 600mhz) and have it on our latest and greatest HP DC5100 (with SATA) and it works like a CHAMP!

Just had to snake around with the new Broadcom NetXtreme drivers they require for that DC5100 model on my Ultimate Network Boot Disk (DOS).

And one more thing... Remember "building" the image is REALLY slow every other time you do it from one image to the next. (Building the image off the last one you make) I'm yet to find the technical reason why.
You mean immedialtly sysprepping again, and it takes longer?

Yeah I've seen others out there say the same thing:

So I take a box, and sysprep it. The first time is either slow or fast (lets say slow).

Then I take that same image and sysprep it again and it will be fast. Then I take the same one and sysprep it and it's slow again. Back and forth

http://www.joshie.com/~jlevitsk/blog/archives/000032.html

Here's a related question I've never been able to find an answer for and I'm hoping somebody knows.

If you run "sysprep" to reseal your hard disk, it can go really fast. Then the next time you run it on the same disk, it will take 30 minutes. then the next time is really fast, then slow the next time, etc...

Does anybody know why "sysprep" has this alternating fast/slow method of resealing? And, if so, how can I make it be "fast" all the time?

Thanks!

Posted by: Steve Maser at April 21, 2004 02:25 PM

So I usually keep a "Fast Sysprep" image on hand for my next build so I don't have to wait when I'm hurrying to get an update out.

The ironing is delicious. :)

Grimmda, I was JUST taking a second sysprep when you posted this earlier and wondering why it was taking so long.

I can confirm this as well (we recycle images unless there is a reason not to). 1st sysprep takes seconds, second takes a while (several minutes, not sure about 30, but it's much longer).

Isn't it though? It depends on the speed of the machine you do it with. On the new HP 5100's when it's slow it's still pretty quick. But when it's "fast" it's seconds on any PC type.

I should open a seperate thread for djnes and HP about why I can't get the HP 6120 Laptop to accept the stupid video (or maybe the chipset driver resolves the video driver?, trying now) to take with sysprep!!!

Grimmda said:
I should open a seperate thread for djnes and HP about why I can't get the HP 6120 Laptop to accept the stupid video (or maybe the chipset driver resolves the video driver?, trying now) to take with sysprep!!!
That might not be a bad idea. My new nc6220 will be delivered tomorrow, and I'll be doing some sysprep testing before I bring down our regular internal image.

Well, I'm stumped by the slow/fast thing. I've sysprepped the same box 100's of times in one day. Never noticed a speed difference. Maybe if I got some spare time I'll investigate. Is there anything you guys notice that is different other then the time it takes?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I thought I'd do a copy/paste of what switches I run with sysprep:

sysprep.exe -activated -mini -forceshutdown -reseal

Phoenix are you doing a similar set of switches to get the "every other time it's slow" sysprep?

I learned this image creation process from a guy where I last worked who had one image working accross an entire enterprise back in about 2001/2002 and even back to then he had issues with the every other time slow thing.

Nope, I have recycled the same image several times, and have deployed it to many machines w/o issue. It just takes longer sometimes. I did notice the HDD was going nuts during the extra time, so I'm sure that could be monitored...

edit: I use the GUI and select mini-setup, PNP, and reseal.

Huh...

PNP is just for legacy (ISA maybe) devices. Try removing it Phoenix and watch how much it speeds the process up once you turn a cloned machine on. I haven't seen the need for the PNP option anywhere I've been.

Grimmda said:
Huh...

PNP is just for legacy (ISA maybe) devices. Try removing it Phoenix and watch how much it speeds the process up once you turn a cloned machine on. I haven't seen the need for the PNP option anywhere I've been.
Yeah I know, it's there for compatibility reasons. I do have some machines with ISA slots. ;)

Now, I'm not sure the HALs compatible anyways, but meh, I don't want to run into that issue and have to build another image or do a scratch load.

Just to add, I re-ran the sysprep.exe with my new sysprep.inf file....that includes the tags from the first page. The first time I did this, it took about 1 minute before the PC shut down. Now I'm looking at the Sysprep is working... animation and we're going on 20 mins.

Ah HA! Once again just glad I'm not the only one! djnes, is that on your new 6220 maybe? :)

djnes said:
Just to add, I re-ran the sysprep.exe with my new sysprep.inf file....that includes the tags from the first page. The first time I did this, it took about 1 minute before the PC shut down. Now I'm looking at the Sysprep is working... animation and we're going on 20 mins.
Have you tested the added lines yet?

Grimmda said:
Ah HA! Once again just glad I'm not the only one! djnes, is that on your new 6220 maybe? :)
No, unfortunately, the UPS man hasn't brought my new toy yet. I'm doing the image creation on a new dc7100 system. Damn nice tower machine, if I do say so myself.

djnes, can you drop me a number that I could maybe contact to log an offical "problem" with the 6120? There's a guy here that had the same problems as me a few months ago with this model before they brought me back to work here. (to stay too :))
I'm not even saying a special number, I looked but couldn't find any tech support numbers on the HP site (I might be too sleepy this morning.

Thanks

Anytime I've called for support for personal products (not owned internally by HP), I use this number:

800-HP invent (800-474-6836)

I usually have good results there.

It takes a little while in the HP Forums....but eventually you do get an answer, and it's always a good one. I've solved many server issues by reading and searching in there.

Back