Dual core permanent fix for SP 2

This only fixes issues with cool'n'quiet not working up to par and i always disable that.

not true, someone on anadtech that doesnt use cool n quiet said that hotfix solved that stuttering issue and he doesnt have set cpu affinity manually anymore.

It says that cool and quiet must be activated for the hotfix to work? Will this still work if cool and quiet is turned off?

Anyone tried this yet? I still cant get the games to stop lagging when I play

shiznit said:
not true, someone on anadtech that doesnt use cool n quiet said that hotfix solved that stuttering issue and he doesnt have set cpu affinity manually anymore.

BINGO....stutter solved, I USED to have to use an affinity tool for Far Cry....no more. Now it runs butter smooth again, the patch WORKS...get it. I have it but can't post it for download...if someone has the space....?

edit: it requires a password that you get via email as well....hmmm....should I "share" the password I used? this isn't warez, etc., so forgive me mods if I step over the line....

I'm trying to get it from MS now. Will host it unprotected when i do...

Here is the patch from microsoft in all it's unprotected glory.

Works great for me since I've got a moderate OC on FSB and still using CnQ and APM. Didn't want to have the fans running full blast all the time. :p

http://exphose.com/upfiles/1/WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe

Right click save as...

You're responsible for using it properly. Please see article:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

Backup your system or turn back on system restore for this. it could really fubar being a kernel replacement.

thank you very much. i'm gonna test this and tell you how it goes. i used to get the stuttering all the time, in games, firefox, google earth, you name it, and i was getting really fed up with setting the cpu affinity manually every damn time. hopefully it will work, by the way dont forget to add the registry entry.

they need this for xp64... unless there is no problem in xp64... (there may not be since it is based on the server2003 kernel)

The /usepmtimer switch seems to do the trick for me.

ittech said:
Here is the patch from microsoft in all it's unprotected glory.

Works great for me since I've got a moderate OC on FSB and still using CnQ and APM. Didn't want to have the fans running full blast all the time. :p

http://exphose.com/upfiles/1/WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe

Right click save as...

You're responsible for using it properly. Please see article:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

Backup your system or turn back on system restore for this. it could really fubar being a kernel replacement.

thanks dude, you are a very kind man!

now, all i need is a X2 cpu, may you also provide that??

:p

Makave7i Tha Don said:
not compatible with windows x64, just incase anybody else besides me was curious :)
Ok, but does XP x64 need it at all in the first place?

I am thinking we only need the /usepmtimer switch in our boot.ini

xp64 is based on the newer server 2003 kernel. I know server2003 was designed for use on multi processing systems.

Unknown-One said:
Ok, but does XP x64 need it at all in the first place?

I don't think we do. I know my system works fine and without any stuttering in games. I've never used any switch or had to download any patches. Or set affinity for a game to work right.

I had to use the switch...

multithreaded stuff always worked great... but some single threaded stuff would be shifted between the cores by the scheduler... and it caused crazy results in a game, for instance.

since I used the switch, I have not had to even touch affinity... and multithread stuff works just as well.

I have used enough SMP systems... and never noticed this problem because I have never played a game on those systems! they were always just for work...

Thanks for the file. I only had to use affinity for DoD 1.3 but either way I installed the patch. People were having stuttering probs in FarCry?

I wonder if this affects the Athlon X2 only. I have an Opteron and maybe I don't have to use this patch. I mean I've not had any problems with stuttering or sudden bursts of speed in games or drops in speed. I've never had to touch affinity either.

Of course an SMP Opteron and an X2 aren't the same thing. I've got two memory controllers and more HTT links. Oh well. I'd be interested to know what the other Opteron owners are experiencing with their rigs.

I wondered that too...

I had a thought that it could be a side effect of AMD's crossbar switch used in the dual cores.

Did anyone just apply the hotfix without editing the reg? I am interested to know what the difference is with, or without editing the reg. If someone could explain why the entry in the reg for me in common terms please.

wow thats insane, i first thought this wouldnt work but lineage 2 actually runs without crashing on startup now

much thanks to ittech

so what do you do with the patch? Just open it?
I'm getting an error that says:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C: Docume....
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:.... Choose 'Close' to termintate the application

[Close] [Ignore]

...should I click ignore?

*edit* That's weird. I deleted the first download and downloaded the file again. This time it opened and installed without any problems.

LanPirate1 said:
Did anyone just apply the hotfix without editing the reg? I am interested to know what the difference is with, or without editing the reg. If someone could explain why the entry in the reg for me in common terms please.

worked for me with no reg mods....

I would suggest trying the /usepmtimer switch before patching your kernel.

The switch forces applications to all use the main "performance timer" as it's timer event.

Since some apps use other (older) methods, having a dual core throws things out of wack. The application is getting thrown off by the scheduler's behavior with dual core and does all sorts of weird things (fast forward, studdering, ect...)

forcing use of the (newer) PM Timer fixes this...

This patch is meant for cool n quiet. and I think that it changes something relating to the timer (because the cool n quiet AMD driver obviously used a timer event function of some sort), and that the fact that it helps with application studdering and whatnot could be a lucky side effect.

Yashu said:
I would suggest trying the /usepmtimer switch before patching your kernel.

The switch forces applications to all use the main "performance timer" as it's timer event.

Since some apps use other (older) methods, having a dual core throws things out of wack. The application is getting thrown off by the scheduler's behavior with dual core and does all sorts of weird things (fast forward, studdering, ect...)

forcing use of the (newer) PM Timer fixes this...

This patch is meant for cool n quiet. and I think that it changes something relating to the timer (because the cool n quiet AMD driver obviously used a timer event function of some sort), and that the fact that it helps with application studdering and whatnot could be a lucky side effect.

Now I could be wrong but the impression I had was that if a program starts on one of the cores it keeps it there instead of switching back and forth between the two to whichever one has less things going on. With this patch it then keeps the program running on whatever core it starts at and from there the OS picks the best core to put other things to run on.

I tried to run a Sisoft Sandra benchmark for the CPU Drythestone or how ever you spell it and it didn't work worth a $hit. It took about 12 minutes and wasn't a very good score.

After I patched the OS I ran the same benchmark and it blew everything out of the water inluding the FX57 and the 4800+ X2.

Oh also I think you can still go back into the task manager and tell which cpu you want the program to run on even though you installed the patch.

I think the only downside to this patch is that you use more power although I don't really care about that.

the patch is originally for a problem relating to cool n quiet.

what you described is what I understood /usepmtimer to do.

so... :confused: hehehe

Cool n quiet needs to guage CPU usage to do it's thing... and threads swapping cores would mess this up if it did not use the correct performance timer.

I'm only saying "try this simple boot.ini switch before applying a hotfix patch to your kernel files for reasons other then the patch was intended"

I don't know... you have to be careful about some of the hotfixes.

what if I have cool and quiet disabled? a8nsli deluxe 1.13 bios,
In windows it says its disabled from

powercfg /query

So does the patch do anything for me?

Which games can I test to find out if i stutter???

I have CnQ enabled and got a performance increase when I applied the patch with the registry entry.

I got a 100 points increase when running 3DMark05 by just appling the patch using 81.84 drivers.

Never had a problem before the patch with any games though.

Maybe I've never seen these issues because I leave CnQ disabled? Or again it may be an X2 thing alone.

Well I tried this hotfix last night. It does work. No more stuttering, no more weird speed issues. But, after about 1.5-2 hours of BF2, it now bluescreens. This happened twice. First ever its bluescreened so im pretty sure its related. I think for now, I will uninstall and turn of CnQ, see if that at least fixes it.

Bummer.

Steel Chicken said:
Well I tried this hotfix last night. It does work. No more stuttering, no more weird speed issues. But, after about 1.5-2 hours of BF2, it now bluescreens. This happened twice. First ever its bluescreened so im pretty sure its related. I think for now, I will uninstall and turn of CnQ, see if that at least fixes it.

Bummer.

Oh I don't know. I was running BF2 for 2 hours with Itunes on listening to music running Fraps and RogerWilco with no problems. I was also using the 81.84 driver that uses both cpu's.

Back