Votes: 33 20.2%
  • Threatened with a "reach-through" from AtomicMoose

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other (please post and elaborate)

Votes: 45 27.6%

• Total voters

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
This is pretty simple. What are the reasons you decided to join the [H]orde for folding and have continued to do so?

This is mostly just because I am curious as to the reasons why others fold for the [H]orde and what drew you in here.

Please be honest and select all that apply.

If you wish to expand on your reasons, feel more than welcome to do so. I would appreciate any explanation that you have.

edit: I should have put this in the post originally as the most vocal aspect of the [H]orde in the forum is the F@H group. This does include the UDers as the [H]orde is not just F@H. I hate that it took a post by Anderu for me to make specific mention since some may think this is a F@H poll only. If you're part of the [H]orde, we want to hear from you.

to be honest, i joined because i was tired of SETI and i wanted to do something useful

i stayed because of the community

i want the community to grow because i hate cancer.

it's pretty simple for me :)

I plan on attending Medical School in '07 and thought the idea behind F@H was a very useful idea. A lot of family members and friends have had cancer so I said it would be for a good cause. Doesn't hurt that the program is basically invisible while you are using it.

I was a lurker at Hardforums for more than a year. Just did not have any incentive to join. When I was looking at getting my A64 rig. I had signed up here and at Anandtech for some advice. Lets just say I did not get much help from Anandtech but Hardforum ppl did help.

Just that the Hardforum guys tended to bloat my budget from $1000 to $1500. Not a good idea for a college student. :eek:

I just came across the DC forum. Seemed like a nice place and made my home here. :)

Oh and I was not drunk when I stumbled on here. It was a sober decision :D

i came to hardforum to learn about oc'ing a pentium 2 p.o.s. computer. i then built myself an abit, with amd xp 3000...i digress. i was welcomed to the horde when i discovered folding, and have been taught alot since day one, whether on here, or in the chat.

i like this place, and i like the swap thread, thanks again crashsector for the monitors. lol

I started folding with one of Kyle's original front page announcements ages ago. I started under the name Dark Ember, turned in a few hundred units or so, for a big 500 points or something. ;)

I then stopped for a while, not really sure why. I then started again when I discovered "stat" pages, because I thought all the charts and graphs and stuff were awesome. And obviously for the science of the project as well. Been back ever since. Stumbled into the DC forum one day (a long time after I started folding again), and started reading/posting now and then. Been posting a bit more often as of late though... :)

I started out about a year ago trying to get a Gmail account in one of Viper's earliest [H]orde related recruitment drives.

I got sucked up into the community, and now call this little place of the world [H]ome away from home.

DF454 said:
It's all relic's fault. :D

Damnit, I knew I was forgetting an option. Then again, it wouldn't let me do more than ten. :(

read about distributed computing somewhere a long time ago..started doing the UD project first because F@H was doing funky stuff. The first tech forum I was registered on was neowin and they didn't have a team. This was the second forum I registered on...and look at that..there's a DC team. :cool:

I started because of Steve's links primarily, but that only got me to read up on it. I really started to help fight cancer.

Had folded & stopped several years ago... recently stumbled around [drunkenly] to this DC forum... laughed at posts by Marty and Moose & decided to join & start folding again. :rolleyes:

plus lots of relatives with Alzheimer's or similar situation that I hope we find a prevention for someday.

I started folding for a number of reasons:

First I got turned on to the idea by Steve's pimping on the front page. I've had this network of computers sitting in my lab for the last few years that I play around with, but mostly they just sat there and didn't do much despite being left on most of the time. I starting seeing the posts about folding and thought, "Hey, I don't like cancer, it's bad. Maybe I should put some of that electricity bill to good use by, like, fighting cancer and stuff?!!"

Second I joined this team because [H]ardOCP is where I hang out, lurk and post in. Over the years, as a lurker and member, I've found these forums to be a veritable cornucopia of knowledge and there are tons of generally helpful people around here. Lots more so then other places I've been. So, it feels like home in a way.

Third, I like the idea of flogging aussies. They're even worse than canucks. :p

Fourth, ummm . . . cancer is bad . . . .

Biggest reason for me is to hopefully do a little part in finding a cure for diseases that have in one way or another affected all of us. I'll gladly give up CPU cycles now to save lives in the future.

I folded for UD for years a few years ago for another team (The Register). Then something happened and UD screwed up my computers. I was not able to run UD on my work or home computers.

So I was away from the folding, or UD's equivalent, for a long time.

Then I found myself at HardOCP again. I saw the DC forum, and decided to check out the forum. I actually read the dozens and dozens of pages comprising the stickies. You know, why we fold, the poetry, the stories of family members dying. Sad stuff.

Then I remembered my own family history of disease. I decided to Fold for the [H]orde.

I got my badge a few weeks later. Now I am a Stats whore.

I have a project in the works: I will call it "Project 40 Ghz." I just need some snow outside to force me inside to get started on it. My folding should increase alot once I get it going.

p.s. There are lots of nice people in the DC sub-forum. Lots better and nicer and smarter and cuter than at other forums!

I've been a hard forum member for a few years but mostly read hardware and game stuff. I had already been running SETI for a several years and popped in once or twice to see if anybody was talking about it. As luck would have it, there was an active thread at the time where somebody asked "why should I run F@H instead of SETI. I read it, and it made alot of sense to me. I switched to F@H and as a result, started hanging around in here more. I stay now cuz you guys amuse me :p .

I wandered in, but stayed for the community I guess you could say.

Why ask why.....fold or die!

I messed around with SETI a little bit a long time ago found the whole folding thing a long time ago as well and played with the graphic version...quit because I was tired of the probs with the screensaver version. A little more than a year ago decided to start again, the [H] was the place I had long read. I didn’t read or join the forum till a year ago 10-11-04.

I stay on the forum for entertainment!

I voted for the contest.... but it was only sort of that. I was folding just on my PC before any contets, but I didn't know why. I had never researched F@H, so I had no motivation to work on borging PC's or anything like that. Then when I took on my first contestish thing, the gmail for folding (back when gmail had a high demand) and I got into doing contests, I started to research F@H a bit, as well as bop around the DC forum and get to know alot of kick ass people.

So, my getting to where I am on the team had alot to do with contest, even though it was not entering them, but running them.

I was SO drunk when I walked in here... And then someone handed me another so I sat down put up my feet and made it home

I have visited [H] since '99 but never felt the need to join the forums. Then way back when I remember hearing something about joing a team. I did but I thought it wasn't working so I uninstalled it. Then when I got my Dual G5 I wanted to harness some of its power on both processor's and I happened to see Fold for the [H]orde on the front page, and thats when I joined these Forums, just for folding!

Now, it's addictive and I'm a mid-range producer!

E:

It also has to be the funniest subforum when you get to know everybody! Favourite line was from Marty to mage 'shitux' , I still laugh when I see that.

My brother (whose a$$ I will currently beat in 12.8 days) got me started folding. We started because it was good for science, and because we had 30 machines ready to b0rg. So they ran for a summer or something (and got like 130k points!), and then we hit the infamous OpenOffice problem (it crashes if it can't get memory, whadda you expect for something built on Java...) when school started and had to stop using those. Then I moved to college and started my own username, which was promptly raped by marty9876.

Is there a 12-step program for this?

I started folding in July 2002, after I read Kyle's article in CPU Magazine. I joined the [H]orde for the science, with my two machines then.

But now I fold for the competition and the points -- that's why I bought 4 more machines.

We all have our reasons as to why we stay around.

GwilyaGwees

I saw it on my cousin's computer years ago and then started myself. it probably was before I joined the forums...

I fold, and will always fold or run some DC project because i believe that we have extremely powerful equipment at our fingertips, all of us. Even the "crappers" we own are powerful beyond the imagination of a computer scientist 20 years ago. It is a waste not to use this technology, and while i can understand 100% if you don't run your rigs 24/7, or don't have dedicated folding rigs i can't understand if you aren't running some kind of DC project on your machine. I ran SETI@home for about 4 years, but then switched to FAH about a year ago. I think that FAH is a much more practical "let's-not-have-our-head-in-the-clouds" project, and with that i'll leave you with the [H]'s traditional "Fold on!!"

I have been involved with DC projects going back the original RC-5 projects. After RC5-64 completed I started looking around for a different kind of project and landed here. I currently run both F@H and UD.

I joined the [H]orde because Kyle told me to. I was running RC5-64 at the time and I dropped that in a heartbeat once I saw that there was something helpful that I could be doing with my time. I was pretty high ranked on Anandtech's RC5 team and only fell to 50th over the rest of the life of that project, which was a little more than a year after I quit. I even tried to promote the cause with my name and stats page. I think I was close to the top 10 when I changed my name, so I got a chuckle out of it at the time.

Was Recruited by Relic to fold, was taught by Relic everything about folding.
Lurked around the forums, then joined last year, met a great wonderful group of people in the DC forum. Learned words like boxen, learned how to borg pc's, got plenty of information and help from BillR, and a few others to name at least.

See somethings are just not relic's fault.

I initally joined the [H] forums to float the idea of forming an officially sanctioned UD team. There was already a team in existence doing the UD project in the name of [H], so I thought I would test the water to see what would be involved in making it official. Obviously, it worked because here we are! Not so noticable, or publicized, but definetly here.

I GOT my reachthrough and was hooked. Now to get more I have to fold or else I don't get any. :(

Bump as I know there are a lot of people in here that haven't added their thoughts in on this yet.

Well when I heard the word "[H]orde" I immediately assumed there would be a lot of raping and pillaging going on, so I signed up right away. Turns out the [H]orde was just running a little computer program from Stanford, but that's okay because I liked the idea of putting all of this computing power we have to use. Now I just pillage on my own when I can find the time. ;)

I started folding for my daughter. She's ten years old, and a pediatric brain tumor survivor. She held strong through surgury, chemo, radiation, and more, and now is about a year and a half post treatment - cancer free. I thank God for what he's done, but felt like I needed to do something.
Here I am.

DatHak512 said:
I fold, and will always fold or run some DC project because i believe that we have extremely powerful equipment at our fingertips, all of us. Even the "crappers" we own are powerful beyond the imagination of a computer scientist 20 years ago. It is a waste not to use this technology, and while i can understand 100% if you don't run your rigs 24/7, or don't have dedicated folding rigs i can't understand if you aren't running some kind of DC project on your machine.<snip> "Fold on!!
"

My sentiments pretty closely.
I started working in computers at IBM Burlington in 1972(?) when the French managed to put THREE transistors on 1 chip and get good production. I remember seeing the ladies working stringing mag core memory like tennis racquets, about 1963 or so. In my imagination we will be having visual holograms from a chip stuck to our skin with terabit wireless. And we will still be wasting 99% of our cycles as the chips sit idle.
I run a lot of computers 24/7, right now I've got 3 laptops and 6 other CPU's warming my house - it should be a disgrace to NOT run a DC project for science.
And close family members have passed away from problems Stanford is trying to fix.
Fold 'em if you got 'em.

HEY - I broke 500K!!

Back