ROFL!!! :-p You've gotta listen to this! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

1c3d0g

2[H]4U
The Story of "Deep Note"

For more than two decades, THX cinema and DVD trailers have been wowing audiences with state-of-the-art visuals and the famous "Deep Note" sound effect. Before launching the company in 1983, THX executives decided to leverage their wealth of creative talent and resources at Lucasfilm’s Skywalker Ranch to develop a promotional trailer. However, the company was looking for something that would be more than just another corporate logo flashing on the screen.

"The first THX trailer had to deliver a sound and visual experience that left an impression on the audience, getting them primed for the feature presentation and making them realize that they weren't in just any typical movie theater," said John Dahl, product line director and resident historian at THX Ltd.

During the production of the first trailer ("Wings", 1983), THX asked Andy Moorer, an engineer in Lucasfilm's computer division, to create a sound effect that would test the frequency and dynamic range of a theater's acoustics and surround sound system. A Stanford graduate with a background in advanced mathematics and computer music, Moorer developed an algorithm that produced a beautiful electronic sound. Moorer’s creation would soon become the company's audio trademark, being incorporated into 11 trailers and recognized by movie fans around the world.

Bold emphasis is mine. Clearly he's a smart fellow. His original soundclip can be downloaded from THX's gallery.

>> Stanford student Jesse Fox tried to recreate 'Deep Note' for a course. His version sounds like a nasty accident in an organ factory. Details here.
That was taken from this blog and you can download the n00bie's version right here. Prepare to laugh yourself to death with this one...personally I think it sounds like the evil version of THX's official tune...comments appreciated! :D

The students version made my sub make strange noises, and the real one had clicks in it. Did anyone else experience this?

Lyquist

I don't know if its LOLOL!!1!, but its pretty damn cool. I had no clue it was so complicated.

Lyquist said:
The students version made my sub make strange noises, and the real one had clicks in it. Did anyone else experience this?

Lyquist
Uhm...no?! :eek: I hope the tunes didn't burn up your speakers...if so I'm terribly sorry...it's not supposed to do that. :eek:

HAHA, that's pathetic. I'm a synth n00b and I reckon I can do better than that. Stay tuned for my version soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back