a different approach to a watercooled case [finished project]

illiterate

Weaksauce
I actually finished this a long time ago. It's a proof-of-concept more than anything else, since I had never seen it done. There are problems with it, it's not nearly as clean as it could be, and if I had another shot at it I'm confident I could do much better.

The idea is a custom-made acrylic case where the case itself is the reservoir. I used 2" CPVC piping to make a frame for the case, and 1" acrylic that I cut into angle pieces to mount the edges. The top and bottom, as well as the 5.25" bays and the motherboard tray are permanently glued in, but all 4 sides are removable via 4 countersunk screws. Before I get ahead of myself:

case-001.jpg

see what I mean now? It's a bit dusty since it's been our media box for a while, but you get the idea. It's got a heatercore from a 1970 Buick LeSabre for a radiator, and an Eheim 1250 for a pump. I needed a big pump because it had to hit CPU, GPU and chipset and then be split with two Ts to go to the uprights. In each upright it has a copper fitting that I made with a couple holes in the sides. They distribute the water for a waterfall effect in the uprights. It works pretty well.

here's some more:

Front. The fan grill is actually painted just like the pump and heatercore.
case-002.jpg

Back. Unfortunately I didn't totally think through this. Know how your cards are recessed in the back panel of your case? That's kind of hard to do with acrylic. I should've looked at how other Acrylic cases do this before I had the design basically finished.
case-003.jpg

Behind the Mobo tray, this is kind of a cool view
case-004.jpg

Closeup of one of the fittings. You can see how much caulk I had to use. This is because I tried to put them in at an angle and didn't have the right size bit. Doing it again I could eliminate the caulking at this step if I were smart enough to have just gone straight for an ultra snug fit for the fittings.
case-015.jpg

With some lights on:
case-016.jpg

case-017.jpg

Like I said, it's a proof of concept, my first attempt at something like this. It's really rough, and I would love a chance to start from scratch to make it more professional. It was horridly expensive to do, the case parts alone cost upwards of $200, and that's without the cost of the water cooling gear. Still - it cools very well and the fittings are all snug. Nothing leaks at all, though I'm a bit worried about it in our living room under all the abuse of my roommates.

No wiring comments please, by the time I was getting a computer in this case I was just making it work, not worrying about how it all looks.

more pictures here

Wow, thats impressive. About how many man hours did you put into that beast (or rather beauty)? Great work man.

Cool concept, I've never seen a case used as a reservoir before. I bet it isn't too restrictive either, since the tubing for the res is rather large.

Good job!

too damn many. I have no idea really because it was such a long, spread out process. I only had the patience to cut one finished piece of acrylic per day. It's stressful, since it has to be done right and smooth, and every edge needs to be buffed. It also took me a few tries to get the corner pieces right, they weren't nearly as simple as I thought they'd be. Those had to be buffed and sanded like crazy.

case-013.jpg

^ those little bastards took me a week to get right.

Making the computer fit in it was just as complicated as building it.

Unfortunately for the workmanship, I ended up cutting corners at the end. Oh well, hindsight right?

Wow I like that alot! Great job on a unique case and watercooling set-up.

thanks for the compliments..

here's an older pic of what it looks like when it's all cleaned up and not dusty like it is now.

case.jpg

if anyone does something similiar think about led's in the water to illuminate the resevoir from the inside, some liquid acrylic spray on stuff i heard about once would be good for water tight around the lights

that's a good idea - it would be a prettier way to light it than a couple of cathodes, as long as you can seal the LEDs really well. The original plan was to put cathodes on the uprights but it wasn't quite right.

A wiring solution would be nice to have too actually, sleeving is one thing but it still wouldn't be quite right.

thats a really cool (and unique) case, but one question. Are the tube resivoirs filled up all the way? it looks like theres some splashing going on where the tubing dumps the water into the resivoir.

at the moment they weren't filled up all the way so it was a little splashy. I usually had them filled up almost to the fittings so that it made less noise. I don't actually have it running right now since it was running as our media box. Too much jumping around and bouncing in there for a fragile computer.

I'm actually selling it for that reason (it's on ebay) - I just have no use for the watercooled case at the moment, and as a very poor college student, I'd rather have money in my pocket than a cool case that I eventually hope to redo anyway (smaller, tighter, more professional) - since right now it's about the size of a PC-70. I have a pretty high price on it though so I'm not really expecting to sell it - I can't let it go unless it's worth it you know..

blah..

That looks nice, what did you use to paint the heatercore? Real nice job, interesting design, I really like how the res is :eek:

I was thinking about the same res concept for a micro atx case last night. very nice.

I used a rust-oleum copper paint, I wasn't too worried about it conducting heat or anything, but I was careful not to paint inside the foils anyway.

When it's full it holds just over a gallon. I thought it would be a lot more, but it's not so bad.

illiterate said:
A wiring solution would be nice to have too actually, sleeving is one thing but it still wouldn't be quite right.

A modular PSU would look sweet in there :D

more likely to get a bid if you offered insurance with shipping.

i've had to many cases be destroyed via UPS to even consider with out full insurance.

tweaked said:
more likely to get a bid if you offered insurance with shipping.

i've had to many cases be destroyed via UPS to even consider with out full insurance.

I didn't realize how cheap that is - it's done.

Back