X-fi Minimal Driver Install

Izord

Weaksauce
I have the X-fi with the Breakout box, not the Fatality version. I got it from Best Buy last month or so. First I was running it with the full installation from the Driver CD.

But I did a clean install yesterday of Windows XP SP2. And I was able to install just the downloaded drivers from Creative's site. First I tried just the Drivers (SBXF PCDRV LB 2 07 003.exe) and it worked ok, but I couldn't adjust the EAX and crystallizer and other settings, just volume, Base Treble, and balance.

Then I installed the App (AudCon PCApp LB 2 00 31.exe) and then I could adjust all the EAX and crystallizer settings.

It's working good in BF2 and B&W2. The app is totally non-invasive. Just a small windows box that goes away when you close it.

So just a heads-up for people who don't want all of Creative's bloatware. It seems that they have seen the light and are giving us what we need now.

I'm still disappointed that there have never been any new Mystique drivers. That was one of their promises, frequent driver updates. They aren't following thru.

Iz.

Izord said:
I have the X-fi with the Breakout box, not the Fatality version. I got it from Best Buy last month or so. First I was running it with the full installation from the Driver CD.

But I did a clean install yesterday of Windows XP SP2. And I was able to install just the downloaded drivers from Creative's site. First I tried just the Drivers (SBXF PCDRV LB 2 07 003.exe) and it worked ok, but I couldn't adjust the EAX and crystallizer and other settings, just volume, Base Treble, and balance.

Then I installed the App (AudCon PCApp LB 2 00 31.exe) and then I could adjust all the EAX and crystallizer settings.

It's working good in BF2 and B&W2. The app is totally non-invasive. Just a small windows box that goes away when you close it.

So just a heads-up for people who don't want all of Creative's bloatware. It seems that they have seen the light and are giving us what we need now.

I'm still disappointed that there have never been any new Mystique drivers. That was one of their promises, frequent driver updates. They aren't following thru.

Iz.

The X-Fi install CD already has a very good Minimal Install Option, also called Max Performance by Creative themselves. I don't know the actual size but it is the bare minimum to get the best performance from the card. Even the Auto Update feature works with it.

Check out this GamePC Review. On page #4 you'll see;

GamePC said:
When installing the X-Fi from the bundled CD, you now have an option called "Minimal Installation (Max Performance)", which only installs the base X-Fi drivers and essentials in order to operate the card. This is somewhat of an admission on Creative's part that their applications can slow down system performance, and that by not installing them, your system will run faster. For the most part, this claim is true, as our benchmarks ran in upwards of 4-5% faster without all the Creative applications installed. Here’s how the Start Menu looks for both types of installations.

So there's no reason to hunt and peck, then end up with a half assed installed card.

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
So there's no reason to hunt and peck, then end up with a half assed installed card.

Donnie27

I just installed mine with the OP's method and mine's working just fine. I dont think I "half assed" anything.

Hey guys I need help. My driver CD wont work so I cant do the minimal install. So I am trying to figure what I need. So far I installed the drivers and Audio Controller app fro creative. Is this everything? THis is what the audio control app looks like:

Feature wise:

Does the audio console do everything that the 3 crazy animated panels I've come to know and love do?

Cause I'm feeling the itch to move back to my minimal console days. :eek:

Jodiuh said:
Feature wise:

Does the audio console do everything that the 3 crazy animated panels I've come to know and love do?

Cause I'm feeling the itch to move back to my minimal console days. :eek:

You should already have that console, it's part of the driver install from the CD. Looks like a stripped down version of the other controls minus graphics.

I wonder if there is a way to make a simple mode switcher app to put on the toolbar...launching the graphical switcher seems like a pain every time I want to switch.

BBA said:
You should already have that console, it's part of the driver install from the CD. Looks like a stripped down version of the other controls minus graphics.

I wonder if there is a way to make a simple mode switcher app to put on the toolbar...launching the graphical switcher seems like a pain every time I want to switch.

Oh yeah, I got it. I was just wondering if there were any features left out of it. "SMS" sounds yummy, lets play around :p

EDIT: It seems to me the only missing feature I'd use is the bass boost. Basically I like to boost for headphones, but not for 2.1/4/.1. Other than that, all the features are there. So long big fat gui!!

ozziegn said:
I just installed mine with the OP's method and mine's working just fine. I dont think I "half assed" anything.

I tried KX Drivers and found that they left features turned off. I got NO EAX in Games for example, screw that! Not knocking some software/Driver expert who could get more out of it, but most folks weren't so lucky with 3rd party stuff.

I gave the links to a minimal install that ships on the Creative Disk in response to a BOGUS claim of "bloatware". Then, these same Bloatware drivers are better than Creative's Competition's crap-o-la drivers as well. EMU is NOT competition BTW!

Donnie27

Jodiuh said:
Oh yeah, I got it. I was just wondering if there were any features left out of it. "SMS" sounds yummy, lets play around :p

EDIT: It seems to me the only missing feature I'd use is the bass boost. Basically I like to boost for headphones, but not for 2.1/4/.1. Other than that, all the features are there. So long big fat gui!!

There's also one of these for the older Audigy Cards as well. I first tried this Consol on my Audigy2 ZS.

Donnie27

grendelrt said:
Hey guys I need help. My driver CD wont work so I cant do the minimal install. So I am trying to figure what I need. So far I installed the drivers and Audio Controller app fro creative. Is this everything? THis is what the audio control app looks like:

I'm not sure but it looks like you got enough installed.

Donnie27

grendelrt said:
Cool thanks, everything seems to be working fine. BF2 sounds incredible.

If you show me someone saying they can't tell the difference and I'll show you someone with a half-assed setup/install, different drivers or etc.. I botched my first setup and almost returned mine. I removed drivers and reinstalled and I'm happy as hell now.

This just proves that you can't please some Geeks. They asked for less Bloat and even after Creative gave it, they're still talking about Bloatware and yada yada.

Donnie27

So about cmss3d. There's evevation to be used with 1person shooters and not 3rd. What about macrofx? Just curious what you guys set your stuff to. I came across some forums that said you needed to select on rather than auto in games like BF2. How bout HL2, would I even use cmss3d or EAX? I'm guessing not.

Donnie, I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from, but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) you do seem to be ragging on me. You seem to be something of a loose cannon.

To correct you; the drivers I mentioned in my original post are NOT 3rd party. They are Creative's own drivers from their official site. I make NO mention whatsoever of 3rd party driver's.

You seem to have been confused by my mention of regret at lack of updated Mystique drivers. (At least I think that is the source of your confusion, I may be wrong about that.)

Moving forward, shall we. The minimal drivers from Creative sound great, and appear to offer full functionality, including EAX functionality in BF2. I am sorry if you are not able to configure them appropriately.

But then we already know you are somewhat challenged when in comes to computers, by your own admission you were almost ready to return your soundcard when you were faced with the daunting task of installing it.

I understand your "special" needs and I would like to give you your "space", but I will ask you to refrain from ragging on other members, such as myself.

Iz. ;)

thomase said:

Thanks, that helps much. So to summarize:

Headphones and 4.1

HL2:
Game settings - 5.1
X-Fi settings - Headphone or 4.1, CMSS3D on, macrofx/elevation filter off

questionable
Why synch with windows audio panel off?
EAX probably off too, eh?

BF2:
Game settings - X-Fi and Ultra quality
X-Fi settings - Headphone or 4.1, CMSS3D on, EAX on

questionable
macrofx?
elevation?

Izord said:
Donnie, I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from, but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) you do seem to be ragging on me. You seem to be something of a loose cannon.

To correct you; the drivers I mentioned in my original post are NOT 3rd party. They are Creative's own drivers from their official site. I make NO mention whatsoever of 3rd party driver's.

You seem to have been confused by my mention of regret at lack of updated Mystique drivers. (At least I think that is the source of your confusion, I may be wrong about that.)

Moving forward, shall we. The minimal drivers from Creative sound great, and appear to offer full functionality, including EAX functionality in BF2. I am sorry if you are not able to configure them appropriately.

But then we already know you are somewhat challenged when in comes to computers, by your own admission you were almost ready to return your soundcard when you were faced with the daunting task of installing it.

I understand your "special" needs and I would like to give you your "space", but I will ask you to refrain from ragging on other members, such as myself.

Iz. ;)

Cute!

No, please take note of who I Quoted? I replied to you on post #2. How'd you come up with your reply based on Post #2. I didn't trash anyone out or etc....Look at the Quotes?Clearly if they were meant for you, I would have quoted you=P

So you say "I understand your "special" needs" Code for calling someone a retard.
"give you your "space", Code for impossible to talk to. "you are somewhat challenged" very little or limited computer skillz or possible retard again. "something of a loose cannon." then you ask me to stop raggin' on members, dude, take your own advice.

I didn't have any problems with BF2 or it's setup :p Whatever problems I had was corrected without yours or anyone else's help.

There's no confusion over HDA-Mystique. It sucks IMHO, hehehe. I'll call it the Half Done Audio-Mistake. So even if I'm Computer Challenged, I knew better than to make that same mistake. I'm not focused on the very soon to be forgotten HDA-M;) Is that what caused your response?

Donnie27

Jodiuh said:
Thanks, that helps much. So to summarize:

Headphones and 4.1

HL2:
Game settings - 5.1
X-Fi settings - Headphone or 4.1, CMSS3D on, macrofx/elevation filter off

questionable
Why synch with windows audio panel off?
EAX probably off too, eh?

BF2:
Game settings - X-Fi and Ultra quality
X-Fi settings - Headphone or 4.1, CMSS3D on, EAX on

questionable
macrofx?
elevation?

If I understand correctly, you have headphones AND 4.1 speakers, and you play with both?

HL2/4.1:
No need to set the game to 5.1. Just set it to 4.1 and the speaker settings to the same. CMSS3D on/off (along with MacroFX and ElevationFilter) should not matter if BOTH are set to 4.1. You should be in Game mode. Experiement with snd_digital_surround 1 or 0.

HL2/Headphones:
Set game to 5.1. Speakers settings to Headphones. CMSS3D-Headphone enabled. If in Game Mode, set MacroFX and Elevation to Auto or Off (effectively the same). Experiment with the following options:
1) snd_digital_surround 0; (Game or Entertainment mode shouldn't matter)
2) snd_digital_surround 1; Game Mode
3) snd_digital_surround 1: Entertainment Mode

I use option 3. You may prefer 1 or 2.

HL2 is complicated because it doesn't REALLY use DirectSound3D the way it is meant to be used - it doesn't use a unique 3D position for each sound effect, but rather uses 2, 4, or 5 static positions. Also, with snd_digital_surround 1, it doesn't use DirectSound3D at all.

BF2 fully uses OpenAL (essentially equivalent to DirectSound3D) and is therefore more simple to set up. Just set your speaker setting to whatever you are using, turn on CMSS3D, and enable MacroFX/ElevationFilter (must be in Game Mode).

Edit: Regarding EAX. For HL2, there is not EAX support. If you are in Game Mode and enable it, there should be no difference whether it is enabled or not. If in Entertainment Mode, you can also leave it checked, but make sure you don't have any effects selected, or else it will post-process everything with a room effect.

For BF2, EAX should be enabled (in Game Mode).

Back