Foldix howto

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
Okay, the time has come to temporarily admit defeat and release (unleash?) Foldix on an unsuspecting world, seeing as how I haven't really modified it in a week or two. Given that, I've made a new filename for it and am publishing release notes. Here's MN Scout's walkthrough for how to configure Foldix (a few points have been edited for alternative methods of doing things):
MN Scout said:
1. Find a hard drive you are willing to have completly erased without question. In other words, WARNING it automatically wipes the primary master drive. no "should I?", it just does it. watch where you put this disk, keep out of reach of children. WARNING
2. Boot to Anti-fold Servier cd.
3. Let run.
4. After it restarts, take the cd out. This will only take about a minute!
5. Use login:root password: Fold@on
6. cfgfold - to configure username and team #
7. getfold - to download F@H
7.5. If this doesn't work, check the output of "testnet" and try "configure static IP" below.
8. restart or just run "/etc/fold start".
9. Folding will start up right away. Yay!

Important commands to know (atleast what I know)

top - gets you to a process page
q - gets you out of the page (while in "top")
Alt+F1 etc will let you view different virtual desktops
ifconfig - will let you see your network ip address for the folding computer. You want the number on the second line. Then you can add this to EMIII. Will end up looking like this \\(your ip address here minus the brackets)\fold\1 . Enter this in the EM3 configuration window under "Box Path" on the "general info" tab. You must select the bottom list in order to do this.

alt+F5 for cpu 1 and alt+F6 for cpu 2 will let you view the folding output since each new core creates a virtual console starting at F5
testnet - will tell you if you can connect out to the internet by trying to ping http://www.google.com and several other tests.

To view FAHlog output txt file you can use virtual console 5:
1. Go back to the first virtual console by pressing ALT+F1
2. Type "more /fold/CPUNUMBER/FAHlog.txt" use 1,2 etc for CPUNUMBER since this correlates to the instance of F@H that is running
3. FAHlog.txt is displayed!
4. Note: You could hit shift+page up if you never switched off of the first virtual window. shift+page up will work in any of the virtual consoles for anything that has gone off of the screen, but it will only display new things that have gone off the screen since the last virtual console switch. If you have no idea what this means, don't worry, you're in good company; just play with it for a while and you'll get it.
"/etc/fold stop" - will stop the folding client
poweroff - shutdown the computer
Manually configuring an IP address:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 YOUR.STATIC.IP.ADDRESS
route add default gw YOUR.DEFAULT.GATEWAY.IP
echo "nameserver YOUR.DNS.SERVER.IP" > /etc/resolv.conf
If you want to make this permanent (I'd guess so), edit "/etc/rc.d/sysinit" with vi. Arrow down to line 11 and type "i#". This will put you in insert mode, and then comment that line. It's for DHCP which we won't be using, so no need to run it. Then hit the End key and enter, then enter the lines above. When you've got them all typed in, type Esc and then ":wq" (colon w q) and hit enter. Then these settings should persist across reboots.

So what's next? Presumably, getting PAM (pluggable authentication modules) going so that FAH can run as a user other than root would be good, but to quote myself:
unhappy_mage said:
Still no luck getting PAM going. It's an absolute cast-iron fireproof waterproof to 50 meters stainless B!TCH to get going. I've spent literally a week trying different ideas, and all of them have failed. Either I'm missing something obvious, or there is Great Magic at work here.
So that's postponed until further notice. However, I have played around with this, and it seems this is only an issue if a vulnerability is found in Samba. That seems to be unlikely, and most (all?) people are running this behind a firewall (and probably an ISP) which blocks SMB traffic.

As for putting a firewall on Foldix itself, it'd be relatively simple but relatively pointless. Everything but ssh and SMB is closed anyways, so the firewall would be effectively repeating what the policy already is, and that's no help.

So there's part two. "Part two?", you say? Yep, I said I'd release foldix and give release notes. So there are the release notes, where's the download? Well, here it is: Foldix 0.9! It weighs in at about 10 MB.

12-07-05 edit: Please note that newer versions of Foldix have more features; it's suggested you use them instead. The latest version will always be available here (at least until I change hosting, assuming I do...).

Finally, it's the part where the credits roll. seapirate and then budec, for testing ad infinitum, KodiakStar for keeping things from getting too serious ( :rolleyes: ), Tormond for not getting mad when it didn't change to his username, and RPhArrow for moral support when I needed it and the towel was close to being thrown in. And next to last and probably least, marty9876 was the one who started this whole thing, alpha tested, beta tested, and gamma tested; to him I owe a debt of gratitude, and about 80k points at the moment. I'm not sorry I didn't pick his name for the project, though. Last on my list, though, is my father. He answered (or at least didn't laugh (too hard) at) my odd questions, some of which I imagine nobody *really* knows the answers too, and got me addicted to computers around a baker's dozen years ago. For that I thank him every day. Except on the ones I try to get PAM working :p

And on that note (and not even *close* to the 20k character limit per post, believe it or not!), I leave you with Foldix!

Outstanding , unhappy_mage ! :)

The download worked great -- thanks again for your hard work .

RPhArrow

How to Foldix- has a nice ring to it... :p

Thanks for all your work on this mage, it may not be a [H]ard as the Fold Server (all that net booting stuff), but in the long run I think this will get many more boxen a folding due to ease of deployment.

Now that I have a dualie Xeon in the house, anybody know if Foldix can run seperately for each CPU? If so great I'm gonna install it and if not eh... Not sure what to do with it as I'm totally noob with Linux and I'll have to install a distro for it and it gets all complicated from there.

Foldix will auto install the correct number of setups for the number of cpus it detects. Foldix is really easy to install. Atleast it's worked for me fine. Haven't had any issues.

Foldix is the BEST solution for any solo folding box that you cannot directly see on your network.... once it is installed, it will shutdown, startup, and fold regardless of your power situation. That means you can set it up while directly connected then move it elsewhere. Plus, if you can see it on your network, you have total control !

I love Foldix because I can get immediate folding performance from any machine that has basic hardware. Basic hardware means "any hard drive", any memory (but you will want 256Mb +) , and a network card that allows you to connect to the internet.

Do I use Foldix on all of my machines ? No.... primarily when I am setting up a devoted folding machine that I don't want to spend operating system money on. Or when I don't want the hassle of setting up a full linux OS . The decision is easy... 10 or minutes or less for Foldix vs. 1 hour or more for a full linux install.

The last but best reason for using Foldix is that you can always contact the author, Unhappy_Mage on the DC forum with questions -- he has always been helpful to me.

It's still up for me, but then I'm on the same physical network as the server that's hosting it. You can browse the directory it's in if that works; foldix.iso (not 0.9) is the one you want.

I've put up a mirror here, but there's no uptime guarantee on it - my webhosting has been flaky recently, and just got bought out by another company :rolleyes: 40 KB/s my foot...

Is there any effort to put Foldix on a 512mb or larger USB drive?
For instance WITH REBATES Buy.com is selling a 512 for $1.14.
Right now I'm running DSL with a 512meg USB on a system composed of:
m/b
memory
PSU
CPU (amd 2600) w/ Fan

No case, no extra wires, I start it by shorting the pins. I swap out k/b, net, video, mouse from another system. I need to get a smaller power supply.
/edit - and it's cranking out about 190ppd

It is possible - the kernel built into Foldix should recognize it fine - but the usb-storage driver makes USB drives show up as scsi. Foldix doesn't and won't (in the near future, anyways) let the installer write to scsi drives, on the principle that you don't want to wipe your main machine or newer sata drives with it, in general. So what you can do is install to an ide machine and then use it to install Foldix onto your thumbdrive. You could also use a live-cd to boot from, and then install from there, but things will probably be a little different. Here's the basics on how to do this:
  • Install Foldix, then plug in your usb-stick.
  • Run "fdisk -l" to see what disks are accessible. Make note of what device is the usb-stick. I'll use /dev/sdQ as an example; yours will be something like "/dev/sdb" or "/dev/sda", depending on what devices are plugged in.
  • Make a primary partition on /dev/sdQ (it'll be /dev/sdQ1) with fdisk. Short instructions: fdisk /dev/sdQ; d; 1; n; p; 1; <enter>; <enter>;w
  • Format the partition using mkfs.reiserfs: "mkfs.reiserfs"
  • Mount the new partition on /mnt and change directory to there: "mount /dev/sdQ1 /mnt; cd /mnt"
  • Unpack the Foldix root directory: "tar zxvf /location/of/system.tar.gz"
  • Install grub. Not sure how to do this, other than with a boot disk.

Hmm, now that I check on it, there's no fdisk or mkfs.reiserfs, either. I'm working on making a new version that'll run the proper number of Prime95s, and have a newer kernel to (hopefully) fix problems some people are encountering with new-ish hardware. I'll make sure the tools you'll need to do this are included. Maybe even throw together an install script for that purpose :D

One thing I'd like to do is make the CD less completely single-purpose. It'll still do an install to hard drive by default, but perhaps it could have a boot menu that can start a shell, memtest, or install to USB stick. Maybe I'll get to that too.

I have everything coming in to set up 3 dual core machines (2 am2 4200's and 1 A64 x2 4400) and 1 xp3200. I want to put these units in my garage and run on a wireless network. I've got ZERO experience with linux and want to know what I need to do about drivers for the wireless cards (are they in the D/L of foldix or do I need to go out and find them?). I did not find them on the MFG site.

Ten to one, the simplest way is an AP that supports "Client bridge" mode, and then hard-wiring them to it. There's no wireless support in Foldix, and adding it wouldn't be easy - the kernel support and the userspace tools are both missing.

Configure the AP while it's plugged into your normal network, so it has your PSK or whatnot built in, then move it to the garage. Everything should Just Work (tm), and it's cheaper than 3 seperate wireless cards.

Note to self for future reference: don't burn foldix onto Cd, and then leave in computer and forget about it, then restart it an hour later. good news, my laptop now has ALOT more free space.

Note to self for future reference: don't burn foldix onto Cd, and then leave in computer and forget about it, then restart it an hour later. good news, my laptop now has ALOT more free space.

hahaha

that sir is funny... not so much for you but for me anyways :)

Ouch. That right there is one of the dangers of quickformatting. GetDataBack from runtime.org may be able to get some of your data back.

Sorry about that :eek:

well, its kinda funny for me to, its good to be able to laugh at yourself. and everything was backed up on a Raid array so no loss to me, so really there is only an upside, once i reload windows it'll run alot smoother :p

I was attempting to use this again, but it will not pull down the folding client, has something changed? I used testnet and it passed, but getfold errors out.

Did you use the "use IE connection settings" box? That seems to have been a problem in the past.

Umm, no option for that, probably because it is the linux client. I think I figured it out, but I am not sure it will auto start after a reboot. I manually downloaded it using wget, but it did not use the config file that was made with cfgfold command.

Since Stanford's website has been re-organized, the 'getfold' script will have to be re-worked to parse the new page.

Ah, Foldix, home of the forty second install process.

I've fixed the script, but I need to remember how to repack this back into an ISO file. If you want to apply the fix manually, the line that needs fixing is line 4 of /bin/getfold:
LFC=`wget http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download -O - 2>&1 | sed -n "/Linux\.exe/s/.*href=[\"']\([^'\"]*\).*/\\1/p" | head -n 1`

U_M If we are already running foldix how can we upgrade to the new V6 client?
Do we manually change that line in /bin/getfold and re-start the box after if finishes the WU it is on?

U_M If we are already running foldix how can we upgrade to the new V6 client?
Do we manually change that line in /bin/getfold and re-start the box after if finishes the WU it is on?

That would just get the most recent v5 client. I haven't modified Foldix to work with SMP clients, and I don't think I have time to do so. I'd be happy to host if someone wants to make the necessary changes.

A SMP version would be great if anyone is up to the task.

ok, not working for me. when i use the "getfold" command, it comes back with

wget: not an http or ftp url:
Error retrieving FAH client, check your network configuration!

yea, checked the net and thats fine.

is the server down or something? im also having issues uploading done WU on another box. thinking that the servers my be down or something.

ok, not working for me. when i use the "getfold" command, it comes back with

wget: not an http or ftp url:
Error retrieving FAH client, check your network configuration!

yea, checked the net and thats fine.

is the server down or something? im also having issues uploading done WU on another box. thinking that the servers my be down or something.

Did you use the latest version? See the post up a couple.... 10/28/07.

Back