Using SCSI? Considering an X-Fi? Read this

Dr_John

Limp Gawd
I was unaware of this issue, and thought I'd pass it along. I just installed an X-Fi Fatality, and noticed under heavy HD access, lots of pops, static, etc. Others are having the same problems. In common, most are using Adaptec XX160/320 SCSI cards/nForce4 boards. I can duplicate it. Play music/sounds while searching, all kinds of popping/static, etc. I've tried different PCI latencies, slots, etc. Not cool for a $300 soundcard.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=30036

That was known to be an issue with PCI bus saturation.

It's not the sound card. Maybe your controller just doesnt like to share bandwidth. Try different slots so disable some unused devices in system bios.

But...thanks for that link, the post linking to the PCI latency tool was worth it!!!

PCI Latency Tool

Also use the latest CL drivers for the X-Fi.

My Audigy2 did not do this in the same or any other slot. Notice that I (and others) have tried other slots, latencies, etc. All unneeded resources are disabled in the BIOS. I am using the latest drivers. So since this warning isn't on the box anywhere: "using the most common SCSI controller will cause the X-Fi to sound like crap", I'm posting it here.

Dr_John said:
My Audigy2 did not do this in the same or any other slot. Notice that I (and others) have tried other slots, latencies, etc. All unneeded resources are disabled in the BIOS. I am using the latest drivers. So since this warning isn't on the box anywhere: "using the most common SCSI controller will cause the X-Fi to sound like crap", I'm posting it here.
Actually, the warning should read more like "using the PCI bus is crap, as it's dead easy to over saturate, so be smart with what devices you put on it".

dderidex said:
Actually, the warning should read more like "using the PCI bus is crap, as it's dead easy to over saturate, so be smart with what devices you put on it".

lol

dderidex said:

Yes, but Creative should have known the consequences of using the regular 33MHz, 32-bit PCI bus. If they knew it would be ill advised, why did they continue to use it?

Josh_B said:
Yes, but Creative should have known the consequences of using the regular 33MHz, 32-bit PCI bus. If they knew it would be ill advised, why did they continue to use it?
Because agp isn't really an option (lol j/k), and there wouldn't be enough customers if they made it purely pci-express (not yet anyway ;)).

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation if you ask me. Though i agree creative possibly could have implemented a better pci solution, it's not hard imagining scsi saturating the pci bus to the detriment of other devices.

just my 2c

I also think that most comsumers are not going to be using a SCSI bus adaptor on the 33MHz/32 bit SCSI bus and since CL IS targeting the masses of consumers, the majority wins.

I am sorry your SCSI adapter does not share enough bandwidth to keep the X-Fi working at it's fullest potential.

Maybe CL should put a disclaimer on it, or maybe the SCSI adaptors should have one as well that states PCI bandwidth may not be great enough for this device AND other high data rate devices.

Back