Samsung 244T - finally!

holmstrom

n00b
244t6za.jpg

February 4th update

New professional reviews and user pictures added. Check out CNET's video of the display!

Response time
Specifications-wise the release of this monitor has been a mess. Sites all over the world, including Samsung's different local sites have listed things like 6, 8, 10, 16 and 25 ms. However, the majority states 6 ms (G-G) and 16 ms (typical) and that works for me.

HDCP? (quote from http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028699103&postcount=137)
After I got the last mail from Samsung in Sweden I decided to call them up and really make them look into this HDCP thing. I mentioned the manual stuff under Input signal. I made this call on Tuesday and they said they'd get back to me.

I just now received this (translated) reply: "We've now confirmed that the 244T has HDCP."

This was a personal answer from a person at Samsung and I have no reason to believe that this is wrong. But of course it's strange that when I asked in the beginning of the conversation the short answer was exactly the same as the email reply, which was "no, only MP models". Then I argued a bit and made them look into it further.

However, I'm also awaiting an answer to an email I sent to Samsung USA regarding the same topic. If that is positive aswell, I think we can consider this mystery solved.

Hurray, anyone?

Professional reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_244T/4505-3174_7-31580454-2.html?tag=nav
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/75.htm#review1

User reviews:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Samsun...D=16&messageID=1570516&cval=1570516&tag=uolst (ZDNet: 1 posted)
http://www.epinions.com/content_212429606532 (Epinions: 1 posted, same as the one on ZDNet above)

User pictures:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028657028&postcount=115
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028796577&postcount=154

Product pages:
Samsung.com now has the 244T listed again, as a Multi-Function LCD.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Multi_Function/LS24BRBASXAA.asp (silver)
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Multi_Function/LS24BRBABXAA.asp (black)

Press release:
http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20051018_0000201236

Manual (PDF):
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200509/20050915194413031_BN59-00480E-00Eng.pdf

Product brochures (PDF):
http://www.marketingsamsung.com/docs/brocs/244T-Silver-DS-HR.pdf (silver)
http://www.marketingsamsung.com/docs/brocs/244T-Black-DS.pdf (black)
http://www.samsung.com/se/products/monitors/tft21_40/files/244tleafleteng.pdf (some other brochure found on Samsung Sweden's site)

Buying locations:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=samsung+244t&hl=en&tab=lf (Froogle, US)
http://de.pricerunner.com/computing/peripherals/monitors/511335/prices (Pricerunner, Germany)
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/peripherals/monitors/511335/prices (Pricerunner, UK)
http://se.pricerunner.com/computing/peripherals/monitors/511335/prices (Pricerunner, Sweden)

Product brochure specifications:

Panel Type
a-si TFT/PVA

Viewable Size
24.0"

Pixel Pitch
0.270 mm

Brightness (Typical)
500 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio (Typical)
1000:1

Response Time (Typical)
6 ms (G to G)

Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical, Typical)
178°/178°

Native Resolution
1920 x 1200

Aspect Ratio
16:10

Maximum Color
16.7M

Interface
Analog/Digital

Input Video Signal
Analog RGB, TMDS Digital Link, CVBS, S-Video, Componen

Sync Type
Separate H/V, Composite H/V, SOG

Input Connectors
15-pin D-sub, DVI-D, CVBS, S-Video, Component

USB Ports
2 downstreams, 1 upstream

Power Consumption
100 watts (max.), 2 watts (DPMS mode)

VESA® Wall Mount Compatibility
100 mm

Emission Standard
TCO ’03 (silver)/TCO ’99 (black)

Cabinet Color (Front/Back)
(Silver/Silver)/(Black/Black)

Magic Technologies
MagicTune™ with asset management, MagicBright,™
MagicColor Pro,™ MagicRotation™ with auto pivot

Other Features
PIP/PBP (with video only), Narrow bezel, Mechanical main power switch

Stand Type
Four-way adjustable: height (2.4"), pivot, tilt, swivel

Dimensions
(W x H x D) 22.1" x 19.9" x 10.0" (with stand)

Net Weight
21.1 lbs.

Warranty (P/L/B)
3/3/3

Manual specifications:

General
Model Name Stand Type A : SyncMaster 244T / Stand Type B : SyncMaster 243T

LCD Panel
Size 24.0" Diagonal (61 cm)
Display area 518.4 mm (H) x 324.0 mm (V)
Pixel Pitch 0.270 mm (H) x 0.270 mm (V)
Type a-si TFT active matrix

Synchronization
Horizontal 30 ~ 94 kHz (Analog)
30 ~ 81 kHz (Digital)
Vertical 56 ~ 75 Hz

Display Color
16.7M Colors

Resolution
Optimum resolution WUXGA 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Maximum resolution WUXGA 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz (Analog)
WUXGA 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz (Digital)

Input Signal, Terminated
Analog RGB, DVI Compliant Digital RGB, S-VHS, Composite.Component, HDCP,
SOG, 0.7Vp-p Positive at 75Ω
Separate H/V sync,TTL level positive or negative

Video
Video format CVBS , S-Video, Component

Maximum Pixel Clock
205 MHz (Analog)
165 MHz (Digital)

Power Supply
AC 100 ~ 240 VAC(±10%), 60/50 Hz ± 3 Hz

Signal Cable
15pin-to-15pin D-sub cable, detachable, 1.8 m
DVI-D to DVI-D connector, detachable, 2.0 m

Signal Connector
15pin 3-row D-sub connector, 24pin 3-row DVI-I connector
Component cable,S-Video Cable, Video (Composite)RCA Cable

Power Consumption
Less than 63 W(Analog/Digital)

Dimensions (WxDxH)/ Weight : Stand type A
560.4 x 247.1 x 443.5 mm (22.1 x 9.7 x 17.5 inch) / 9.45 kg (state of stand installed)

Dimensions (WxDxH)/ Weight : Stand type B
560.4 x 255 x 506 mm (22.1 x 10.0 x 19.9 inch) / 9.55 kg(state of stand installed)

VESA Mounting Interface
100 mm x 100 mm (for use with Specialty(Arm) Mounting hardware.)

Environmental considerations
Operating Temperature: 32°F ~ 122°F (10°C ~ 50°C)
Humidity: 10% ~ 90%, non-condensing
Storage Temperature: -4°F ~ 149°F (-20°C ~ 65°C)
Humidity: 5% ~ 90%, non-condensin

Man, I'm still trying to *find* a 214T. They've supposedly been out for a few weeks but nobody seems to have any.

I actually have a 214T... Bought it off ebay... I've been with 17' LCDs for such a long time, going to 21.3' feels so weird..

RogeR1 said:
I actually have a 214T... Bought it off ebay... I've been with 17' LCDs for such a long time, going to 21.3' feels so weird..

I realize this thread was originally about the 244T but since you actually have a 214T, details, details man! How does it look? How does text look, how about graphics?

I recently bought a 19" LCD (viewsonic vp930b) but I find text to be too "jaggy" at 0.294 dot pitch on a 19" LCD(even with cleartype on). I'm going to return it and the Samsung 214T is one of the alternatives I'm looking at(along with that new Gateway fpd2185w I believe it's called, or a Dell 2005fpw).

Have you played any game on it - is there motion blur/ghosting?? This is one of the few 21" monitors out there with a "claimed" 8ms response time.

Or maybe you should start a separate thread with 214T in the title and put a little mini review up and then when others who have it see that thread title they might write their opinions as well. That's DEFINITELY one I'm looking for more info. on.

Oh...I want one so bad...1080p and HDCP support :eek: Now I will be able to play PS3 games in all their glory. Hopefully HDMI to DVI-HDCP cables exist. I believe there are HDMI to DVI cables already, but I do not know if they carry the protection standard that will be enforced in the future. Here's hoping to another fast monitor with beautiful color and good backlight. :)

NICE, yep been waiting on this one a long time. I'm sure thy'll have it in black too. I'm guessing it's 10ms G/G which makes it 16ms b/b. I hoped that when they made this that the bezel would be thin and the same all the way around the LCD panel unlike their current models, looks like my prayers have been answered. The price needs to be around $1299 though. I hope they do the same with a 1680 x 1050 panel.

24 inch with thin bezel? mmmm, I could see switching back to samsung(I used to use two 191t's, and still do now and then)from the HP L2335 I have.

What's so special about this 244T compared to, say, the dell 2405? I received my dell 2405 a couple of days ago, and while there apears to be no dead pixels, I'm not too happy with the black levels on it. I like the Image quality on my samsung 171P better. Anyways, what's the contrast ratio on the 244T. I don't think I saw it on the specs. Might have missed it though.

same panel used in the dell, 1000:1 contrast ratio giving around 700:1 average across the screen.

Some people just don't like Dell :)

Anyway, could Samsung have chosen an any less depressing or I don't know...Eastern Soviet Bloc poverty stricken image for their display? Sheesh.

img18995wl.jpg

Well I don't know much about the Dell, but I know that the Samsung has at least one component that the Dell doesn't have, HDCP. If you are planning to purchase Windows Vista and watch high definition dvd you will need a monitor equipped with HDCP.

So far we have only a few monitors which support HDCP, there is a thread somewhere here regarding it...

I'm sure the closer we get to the release of Windows Vista the more monitors that will show up with HDCP (well I would think so, but who knows).

Some further research and I found that the manual for the 244T is online, Samsung 244T User Manual .

Hopefully that leads to the page, I downloaded but I haven't had a chance to review it, with say the Gateway or the other HDCP compatible LCD monitors.

I wonder when it will be in stores?

Why care about HDCP, Vista release is end of 2006 with at least 6 months of drivers releases, bug fixes and patches for both the OS and application. It will be mid 2007 before its actually quite solid, by then SED will be out and people will be replacing thier monitors anyway as the spec is so much better that LCD's will become obsolite. Think about it the contrast ratio and response time alone will convince any LCD gamer.

HDCP will be removed due to demand or cracked BEFORE Vista is released, remember region locks on DVD-ROM drives?

That manual is very confusing, I think. The only difference explicitly stated between the 243T and 244T on the manual was their different stands. But if I recall correctly, the 243T had been released for a while and many of the 244T features are missing from the 243T, most noticably USB hub, component video, and HDCP. Can anyone verify this?

kleox64 said:
HDCP will be removed due to demand or cracked BEFORE Vista is released, remember region locks on DVD-ROM drives?

seriously..
people are being stupid with the whole "buy HDCP compliant monitors for vista"
its going to be cracked the day of vistas release, guaranteed.

Well, HDCP maybe gets cracked and all, but if you're buying an HD capable monitor for a considerable amount of money, it goes without saying that HDCP is a strong selling point.

Does anyone know how low the screen can get on the stand? I think it looks a bit too tall having it at that height.

I can't beleave they made the input buttons grey on the black model that's just assinyne and looks like crap. I like the monitor so much that I'd just have to paint them black. 6ms g/g that seems like maybe some marketing bs but hey if it's true then that one ultra fast 1920 monitor.

HDCP isn't just an issue for Windows Vista, it's an issue for any HDCP protected input into the monitor. Want to watch HD stuff from a PS3 or ANY other set-top HD device on the monitor over DVI?

If the PS3 does come out in the Spring, that's when Blu-Ray discs are going to start popping up, and you're going to need HDCP unless they don't activate it on discs for a while..

Yoshi, HDMI includes the DVI and HDCP info (and audio).

The stand in those pics looks horrible, but I'll probably be getting a VESA arm anyways.
SED probably won't even be coming out in force until late 2007 anyways.. the first batches are going to be things like 50" TV's that they can sell for $10,000, not 21" monitors for $1000.

Hopefully this monitor won't distort 480i content like people say the 2405 does..

Lord Twilight said:
HDCP isn't just an issue for Windows Vista, it's an issue for any HDCP protected input into the monitor. Want to watch HD stuff from a PS3 or ANY other set-top HD device on the monitor over DVI?

If the PS3 does come out in the Spring, that's when Blu-Ray discs are going to start popping up, and you're going to need HDCP unless they don't activate it on discs for a while..

Yoshi, HDMI includes the DVI and HDCP info (and audio).

The stand in those pics looks horrible, but I'll probably be getting a VESA arm anyways.
SED probably won't even be coming out in force until late 2007 anyways.. the first batches are going to be things like 50" TV's that they can sell for $10,000, not 21" monitors for $1000.

Hopefully this monitor won't distort 480i content like people say the 2405 does..
Totally agree with you.

Plus, I am sure some people will want to plug in their HD Decoder boxes and watch HD TV.

Personally, I am excited to have a 1080P capable movie/game/pc monitor for around $1500 rather than spending twice as much for a consumer HDTV with potentially lower resolution.

I can't seen any mention of the HDCP in the press release or documentation, are you guys sure this monitor has HDCP?

Also the 6ms g/g is an odd figure considering samsungs 24inch panel info on their site lists a 8ms g/g for the 24inch panel they make currently.

btw i assume the newer dell 2405 units are shipping with 8ms g/g panels since the model number that samsung ship in the 2405 has that listed as 8ms g/g. earlier in the year the response time was different for the same panel model number so assume some improvements was made to the panel.

mozmo said:
I can't seen any mention of the HDCP in the press release or documentation, are you guys sure this monitor has HDCP?

Also the 6ms g/g is an odd figure considering samsungs 24inch panel info on their site lists a 8ms g/g for the 24inch panel they make currently.

btw i assume the newer dell 2405 units are shipping with 8ms g/g panels since the model number that samsung ship in the 2405 has that listed as 8ms g/g. earlier in the year the response time was different for the same panel model number so assume some improvements was made to the panel.

I agree, I don't see HDCP mentioned anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough????

As I wrote, it's stated in the manual, under "Input Signal, Terminated":

Analog RGB, DVI Compliant Digital RGB, S-VHS, Composite.Component, HDCP,
SOG, 0.7Vp-p Positive at 75Ω
Separate H/V sync,TTL level positive or negative

I hope it's true.

mozmo said:

Response time has to do with the electronics also if Dell electronics aren't as nice it could be the same panel yet slower. Samsung will definatley keep the cream of the crop panels for themselves. Samsung has a ZERO dead pixel policy(nobody eles right now does) so it's very rare that you see a Samsung branded model with dead pixels. The 2405 has on more occasion dead pixels than I beleave a Samsung will even though they are the same panel. Samsung may with these better panels be able to push them further with overdrive. It's the same panel but with out stats I'd sum it up like this - 1 in 5 Dell 2405's has a dead pixel on a Samsung model that number would be 1 in 50 which would show they are keeping the best panels for their own monitors. Samsung can have a no dead pixel policy because they know the can back it up. The 244T looks to be the best PC monitor they make, with their best panel picked from the cream of the crop of panels. Samsung is well aware that Dell and everyone else that uses this panel will have it at 8ms g/g. Samsung has tweaked it a tad further to get 6ms g/g and to justify the extra $400-$500 you'd have to pay over the Delland a price I'm willing to pay. I'll find this baby with in one year at $1100 or less I bet.

HDCP isnt an issue, you shouldnt base your buying decision on this. People are getting fussed over nothing and there will be adapters/hack etc... for connecting HD digi boxes, PS'3 blah blah...

rrhomes i hear ya, I can definately see samsung picking the cream of the crop for this panel and no doubt they have a better overdrive implementation than what they give oems. If it does indeed have HDCP I'm sold as well, this will be my next panel. I held off getting the dell because i had a feeling a better tweaked and more future proof 24 inch unit would come out. I guess i was right.

rrhomes said:
Response time has to do with the electronics also if Dell electronics aren't as nice it could be the same panel yet slower. Samsung will definatley keep the cream of the crop panels for themselves. Samsung has a ZERO dead pixel policy(nobody eles right now does) so it's very rare that you see a Samsung branded model with dead pixels. The 2405 has on more occasion dead pixels than I beleave a Samsung will even though they are the same panel. Samsung may with these better panels be able to push them further with overdrive. It's the same panel but with out stats I'd sum it up like this - 1 in 5 Dell 2405's has a dead pixel on a Samsung model that number would be 1 in 50 which would show they are keeping the best panels for their own monitors. Samsung can have a no dead pixel policy because they know the can back it up. The 244T looks to be the best PC monitor they make, with their best panel picked from the cream of the crop of panels. Samsung is well aware that Dell and everyone else that uses this panel will have it at 8ms g/g. Samsung has tweaked it a tad further to get 6ms g/g and to justify the extra $400-$500 you'd have to pay over the Delland a price I'm willing to pay. I'll find this baby with in one year at $1100 or less I bet.

Viewsonic also have a zero dead pixel policy and as regards Samsung's dead pixel policy, I only thought that was applicable in the Far East?

Will this be the Apple Cinema 24" killer?

Hmmm...I forgot how that panel is for color. I might get this for my new graphic design monitor when my CRT finally blows the dust.

they're still sticking to the ugly stand.

it's no wonder apple still charges an arm and a leg for their stuff. nobody else has a clue about aesthetics.

kleox64 said:
HDCP isnt an issue, you shouldnt base your buying decision on this. People are getting fussed over nothing and there will be adapters/hack etc... for connecting HD digi boxes, PS'3 blah blah...

Actually it is an issue. I don't want to buy Vista and wait and pray that HDCP will get hacked. How long am I going to wait? Patience is not something that I have and if that means I have to buy a HDCP capable monitor, then I will just to avoid the hassle.

Wow I can't wait for this monitor to come out!

I can finally put my trusty 191T to rest... :D

Sgt_Strider said:
Actually it is an issue. I don't want to buy Vista and wait and pray that HDCP will get hacked. How long am I going to wait? Patience is not something that I have and if that means I have to buy a HDCP capable monitor, then I will just to avoid the hassle.

No it is not an issue, VIsta release is end of 2006 with at least 6-12 months for bug fixes, drivers, application updates etc... by that time people will be updating thier monitors anyway. I mean look at those at who are upgrading thier dell 20" widescreens to the 24", how long was the 20" out for?

this is obvoiusly going to be a high quality, high end monitor. The Dell 2405FPW is a large but cheap quality monitor. People need to stop comparing dell lcd's to proper lcds from viewsonic and samsung, even if they are using the same lcd panel as samsung

Big Fat Duck said:
this is obvoiusly going to be a high quality, high end monitor. The Dell 2405FPW is a large but cheap quality monitor. People need to stop comparing dell lcd's to proper lcds from viewsonic and samsung, even if they are using the same lcd panel as samsung

LOL...I am sure a general perception of cheapness vs. quality is a very important factor in choosing a monitor. [/sarcasm]

Agreed, hdcp is going to either be cracked or bypassed via a dongle thingy. The risk of alienating the past several years worth of hardware users would devastate Vista sales.

People should be making a big deal of it however, since invoking it was a huge mistake.

The 2405 seems to have fine black levels to me, but I guess each eyes to their own :)

Back