ForceWare 81.85 WHQL Certified Released

starfury6

Limp Gawd
Drivers are now WHQL certified - http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

Issues Resolved in Version 81.85

This following are changes made and issues resolved since driver version 81.84

• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: Soft shadows in FEAR are not rendered
correctly.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: The system crashes after a minute or so of
playing Half-Life 2: Lost Coast.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: The Apple 30ʺ panel display splits into four
grids at 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x900 resolutions.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: Application performance drops when
Gamma Antialiasing is enabled.
• GeForce 7800 GTX, SLI: With SLI mode enabled, the mouse cursor
image occasionally sticks as the window resize graphic instead of
being restored to the pointer graphic.
• GeForce 7800 GTX SLI: Resuming from system Hibernate results in a
corrupt or distorted desktop.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX: F.E.A.R demo - The system hangs when
entering room with volumetric lighting.
• GeForce 7800 GTX: Random pixels appear during gameplay in
F.E.A.R.
• GeForce 7800 GTX / GeForce 6800 Ultra/ GeForce 6600: There is
intermittent glowing corruption around the edges of the screen in Far
Cry patch 1.33 when HDR is enabled.
This has been partially fixed in driver version 81.85. An upcoming patch for
Far Cry fixes the issue completely.
• GeForce 6 Series: With the latest FarCry patch, the application profile
breaks the HDR functionality.
This has been partially fixed in driver version 81.85. An upcomng patch for
Far Cry fixes the issue completely.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: The system hangs when running 3D applications
on a x16 PCI-E system.
This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard
BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: Fable hangs during gameplay.
• GeForce 6800: De-interlacing problems occur with Friends Finale
DVD.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: Prince of Persia: Warrior runs slowly and does
not render shadows.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: Prince of Persia: Warrior quits to the desktop.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow fails to render
shadows.
• GeForce 6800 Ultra: Flight Simulator 2004 has scenery corruption
when 3D clouds are not set at 100%.
• GeForce 6600, DVI-HDTV: The Underscan option is grayed out on
HDVT DVI outputs after setting an HDTV resolution
• GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: Far Cry has severely corrupt textures on the
Research map.
SLI Related Issues Resolved
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, SLI: Poor Tiger Woods 2006 performance with
SLI enabled.
• GeForce 7800 GTX SLI: Opening the inventory screen in Everquest 2
causes SLI performance to drop to single card level.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, SLI: The display attached to GPU1/DVI2 is
not restored after disabling SLI.
• GeForce 7800 GTX, SLI: There is video corruption with Bad Act Of
War and F.E.A.R.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, GeForce 6800, SLI: The system hangs when
running EverQuest 2 at 1600x1200 with SLI 16x antialiasing enabled.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, GeForce 6800, SLI: There is flickering and
stuttering in Battlefield 2 with antialiasing disabled.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, GeForce 6800, SLI: Display output cannot be
switched to HDTV-Out or TV-Out.
• GeForce 7800 GT/GTX, GeForce 6600, SLI: The system hangs when
running 3D applications on a Dual x16 SLI system.
This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard
BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.
• GeForce 7 Series / 6 Series, SLI: Switching from SLI to DualView
mode or DualView mode to SLI may cause the display to lose sync.
• GeForce 6800, SLI: The player shadows in Madden 2006 flicker when
SLI is enabled.
• 3DMark05 and Far Cry experience poor performance on a dual x16
SLI system compared to a Dual x8 SLI system.
• GeForce SLI GPUs: Enabled VSync for Direct3D applications.

I thought that theses were supposed to add dual core CPU support, but I did not read taht anywhere in the release notes.

Cooter

Edit:

I installed these to see what they would do. Rig is in my sig. Some of these numbers do not make sense but here it is:

78.01:
3DMark05: 7823
3DMark03: 13558
3DMark2001: 26151
Aquamark: 68,668

81.85:
3DMark05: 8090
3DMark03: 17287
3DMark2001: 29552
Aquamark: 94,057

The 3DMark03 and Aquamark numbers do not seem to make sence but that is what I got. I will update to verify if it makes a difference with any games.

Cooter

cooter said:
I thought that theses were supposed to add dual core CPU support, but I did not read taht anywhere in the release notes.

Cooter

earlier versions 81.84, allready did

I dont see any general "we made it more stable" fixes
I liked the 81.84's but they blue screened for me alot

Steel Chicken said:

Same for me, BF2 runs great, but when I alt tab out of OpenGL games my computer reboots. I'm gonna give these a spin before I binge on more bf.

any 3dmark score improvements?

yea the 81.84s hindered my OC for some reason

Cheers Brent. I assume they will be exactly the same drivers just having been through the WHQL testing...

Steel Chicken said:
I dont see any general "we made it more stable" fixes
i've been through a lot of NV drivers, but I've never seen a "less blue screens" or "more stable" fix in any release notes, although plenty of the betas correct these issues from previous releases. I think stability tweaks just sort of get rolled in behind the scene... that said, I'm eager to see if these 81.85s correct the issues i had in the .84s, or if i'm just blowing steam out my ass right now
:D

On my 6800NU, the 81.84s would infinite loop every time the system would boot up. Hopefully these drivers will solve those issues.

81.84s brought my DoD:S performance down to the 20s (vs 70s with 78.03s) but these drivers gave me 80s for the few minutes I played DoD to test them.

The thing that interests me most with this driver set is the gamma AA performance fix, ive checked and it is fixed. When i posted about it before Brent brought up NFSU2 took a big hit with gamma AA on, and when i checked, low and behold there was a huge (near 30%) performance hit with gamma AA on. Ive done some tests and it seems nvidia has done some good work on this issue.

NFSU2 - 1600*1200 4xAA/16xAF MSTAA 'High Quality'

81.84:

Gamma AA Off: 35 FPS

Gamma AA On: 24 FPS

81.85:

Gamma AA Off: 35 FPS

Gamma AA On: 35 FPS

Thank you nvidia ;)

Quote( or if i'm just blowing steam out my ass right now)

TMI :D

awesome :D

.84 gave a pretty big boost in FC (like, 18% in some places) but it crashed sometimes

very excited about .85 :D

cooter said:

Cooter
Release Highlights:

nice laptop....

i will wait and see what more people say, as im on the 81.84's and i seem to get better AA performance without any other issues so far.

LOL....they don't even support an old TNT anymore...lolz

na my dual 6600gts got alot of help from .85

I just installed them and seems stable, at least in 3DMark03/05. Haven't gotten a chance to play much with them yet since I got to get to campus and get some work done.

heh, I grabbed .84 last night to try with FEAR, but held off on installing it because I had a feeling there'd be a new driver out in the next day or two. :)

Does anybody know if these drivers fix a problem with polygons meeting other polygons leaving a white gap/dot pattern between?

I had that problem with 81.84 with BF2... All the trees when they hit the ground left white pixels at the base of the tree.

These drivers give me the same problem as the 81.84s. They'll install alright, but when I reboot, all I get are a few yellow dots in the upper-left hand corner of the screen (two dots and a dash, actually). The 78.01s work without issues. My system is a dual Athlon MP, with an MSI 6600GT.

i wonder if FS2004 works with these.... all 8x.xx drivers have broken FS2004 support...:s :confused:

well CS:S and DOD:S or HL2 still crashes.. :( this sux.. i guess i'm going back to 78.05.

Dang, I just installed the 81.84's last week. Can we expect to see the .86's next week?! :p

Guess I'll give the .85's a try with BF2.

im on the 81.84's. I guess if a WHQL version is to come out later this week, its not worth it to install these just yet...

bitgod said:
heh, I grabbed .84 last night to try with FEAR, but held off on installing it because I had a feeling there'd be a new driver out in the next day or two. :)

.84s work fine with FEAR :p

bitgod said:

good call.. I was getting radom crashes with the 81.84s and FEAR (retail)... it would crash in the same spots each time while entering a room or something.. it would go into a loop... then I saw there was a loop issue when going into rooms with volumetric lighting.. doh! just loading these 81.85s up now...

I also had infinite loop errors with the 81.84's in Black and White so I went back to the 78.01 or whatever they are without anymore loop errors. I guess I will try these out once they are WHQL'd. Too busy to try them out right now.

=\ When will the officials come out?

Anyone know how long they update the officials after they release the beta's?

those 81.85s made FEAR run choppy ... whew... not good.. for me at least. the patch for FEAR may have cleared the looping up... not sure yet, but it seems to be better..

EDIT: the patch cleared the looping right up. whew. :)

81.84 and 81.85 render my HDTV and SDTV useless as a display. I get no signal after the Windows splash screen but I can use a regular monitor just fine. Back to the oldies I guess.

These are nice drivers. Install was flawless and the performance in BF2 is excellent. I have had a problem with BF2 for some time with black flashing splodges appearing during playing. I thought it was heat related at first but the splodges would appear in a particular spot on the map and stay in that spot for the whole round. This suggested a driver issue. These drivers do not appear to have that problem, although I did turn off the AA so it could be that too. Anyone else had this?

Control panel is fine and all works okay. I have the nview monitor menu available after running the coolbits2.reg file so I assume multi monitor is enabled for SLI now too. Plus the dynamic SLI enabling worked properly this time (didnt with 81.84, I had to reboot anyway).

How can I check if the vsynch is working in games? to be honest I never notice texture tearing, but used to use the vsynch for a smoother play.

Will try WoW this evening.

I dont know why but with all the other drivers I have tryed fear was not playable for me because the fps were so low, but with these they work great, (with fear and quake4) for the first time I can actually enjoy playing fear(havent tryed hl2 or source games yet, of bf2 maybe after work....)

DanK said:
These drivers give me the same problem as the 81.84s. They'll install alright, but when I reboot, all I get are a few yellow dots in the upper-left hand corner of the screen (two dots and a dash, actually). The 78.01s work without issues. My system is a dual Athlon MP, with an MSI 6600GT.
Damn.. had the same errors on my AXP and 6600GT with the .84s. Giving the .85s a try now.. downloading..

Back