is it okay to run CPU without heatsink/fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doufer

n00b
the socket 940 fan i ordered hasnt arrived here yet and i need to know if my cpu is working before 14 days DOA. Is it okay to boot up the computer and go to BIOS to see if my cpu is working and then shut down my computer fast as possible?

i think my BIOS would shut the computer itself if it detect a cpu without fan/heatsink.

Doufer said:
i think my BIOS would shut the computer itself if it detect a cpu without fan/heatsink.
yea i think thats true too...i think ive read that P4s can throttle enough so you can do that, but A64s just pop...i could be wrong though

Doufer said:
the socket 940 fan i ordered hasnt arrived here yet and i need to know if my cpu is working before 14 days DOA. Is it okay to boot up the computer and go to BIOS to see if my cpu is working and then shut down my computer fast as possible?

I'm no expert but I would say no. Last cpu I ran without an hsf was a slot 1 P3 550 and even that didnt go too well. I say go to your local pc shop and buy a cheap hsf then return or keep it as a back up.

find a metal cup with a flat bottom
put ice water inside
boot up.

i own a hyper 6+ HSF and its wonderful...they even talk of running it without a fan if looking for no noise. I ran mine fine and even played some games...

temps were in the high 50's under load but if you ever looked at this HS, you'll see why it still maintains good temps. So the answer to your question is in the quality and size of the HS u are using.

I do run a small 80mm fan on it since I game often and piece of mind.

oh no!!!!!!! i powered my computer and everything was running for like 5 secs and then all of sudden got shut down. Now i can't boot my computer anymore and the green light is still glowing on my mobo. :( :( :( :(

PS mine is opteron 242

I can't remember the exact number of seconds that AMD claims the chip will operate without a heatsink......it was just a few seconds though, but even if you get it to start without a HSF, you stand a good chance of cooking the CPU before you have a chance to get it to shut down. Not worth the risk.

Doufer said:

I would not recommend it.

At the very least, get a HSF on top of it that maybe, doesn't match it (you know.. the retention clips don't match) and HOLD IT DOWN on it with it's fan running.

What happens when you run a cpu without a HSF

This is a link to a video at one of them other hardware review sites..

Doufer said:
oh no!!!!!!! i powered my computer and everything was running for like 5 secs and then all of sudden got shut down. Now i can't boot my computer anymore and the green light is still glowing on my mobo. :( :( :( :(

PS mine is opteron 242

Sounds like the CPU is fried.

Doufer said:

PS mine is opteron 242

why do you ask for advice if you arent going to take it

pstang said:
why do you ask for advice if you arent going to take it

Yes, why even bother asking people advice on the matter if your to impatient to wait for some v.decent answers, that indeed would have helped you lots.. :(

no its not that my cpu is fried. The problem is I cant power my computer by pressing POWER button from my case. What happened??

Doufer said:

It's comparable to the thermal protection build into Intel CPUs. It should protect the CPU but the CPU may still be damaged. Tomshardware reported about some tests where a removed HSF caused a Intel CPU to die.

The question in the initial posting was what will happen if the fan fails. Not what will happen if you remove the complete heatsink!

this is 2 post down from the one you quoted

the thermal protection is used in conjuction with a heatsink, not a bare proc.

Doufer said:
no its not that my cpu is fried. The problem is I cant power my computer by pressing POWER button from my case. What happened??
unplug the psu, reset the bios, then try booting it with a hsf attached this time :rolleyes:

in a wierd way i hope you fried your CPU just for wasting out time asking for advice and not taking it... crazy n00bs

Doufer said:
there's no damage on my cpu.. no burn or anything like that.
Damage wouldnt necessarily be visible.
As for the core autoshutdown - the quote you posted specifies that it'll prevent the CPU from frying the the fan on the chip's heatsink were to fail. The temperature would rise relatively slowly if the hsf was only passively cooling, because the fan failed. With no HSF on the chip, the temperature would spike up MUCH faster, most likely fast enough to do damage or completely fry the chip before it was automatically shutdown.

Malogato said:
I would not recommend it.

At the very least, get a HSF on top of it that maybe, doesn't match it (you know.. the retention clips don't match) and HOLD IT DOWN on it with it's fan running.

What happens when you run a cpu without a HSF

This is a link to a video at one of them other hardware review sites..
wow, that was awesome. I wish S478 and S939 were in there too though...
eek.gif

Please people, don't post links to Tom's old Athlon XP burning processor. The idiot used a motherboard that didn't support the XP's thermal diode function. So that video is full of shit basically.

Anyhow, try resetting your BIOS and physically disconnect the power cord from the PSU. Wait about 5 mins and try powering up. WITH A HEATSINK or something equivalent.

Doufer said:

it SHOULD if it dosnt bake frist and so i wouldnt try it

Doufer said:

PS mine is opteron 242

OWNED

freeloader1969 said:
WITH A HEATSINK or something equivalent.
forget the "something equivilent", use a heatsink or forget it. long story made short, you've got around 89w of power being dissipated into a 15g IHS. that'll probably hit 100c in.. 3-5s maybe?

I have a huge ass aluminum heatsink (from a powered cooler, the TEC failed on it) that I sometimes use for testing. It's able to keep A64's cool enough for over 2 minutes. I just put it on the chip and apply light pressure while powering on the motherboard outside the case. I use it on an A64 2800+ (S754) and a 3000+ (S939) when I'm diagnosing motherboard problems.

yeah, that works, but it's still a heatsink. i'm picturing a pile of pennies as an "equivilent".. "hey, it's copper! copper cools well!" :cool:

If you're foolish enough to use a pile of pennies, then you deserve what you have coming to you! :) A fool and his money will soon be parted or a fool and his pennies will soon be without CPU.

a opteron 242 is not a cheap chip why would any one even THINK of turning it on with out any cooling

freeloader1969 said:
a fool and his pennies will soon be without CPU.
Ha! I don't know why that's so freekin funny, but it cracked me up!

Doufer said:
i just exhanged a fried CPU lol yeah i learned the hard way!

you should of sucked it up and PAYED for a new one >.>

freeloader1969 said:
If you're foolish enough to use a pile of pennies, then you deserve what you have coming to you! :) A fool and his money will soon be parted or a fool and his pennies will soon be without CPU.
that is getting sigged. classic :D

Elios said:
you should of sucked it up and PAYED for a new one >.>
No kidding. Kids like yourself who abuse the system drive the price up for everybody. Not cool. Why didn't the CPU come with a thermal solution?

So in otherwords you broke something intentionally, and exchanged it? I'll be sure to thank you the next time I have to buy a processor with inflated costs because of people doing things like this. You were adivsed not to, and did it anyways, you should feel ashamed. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back