Trying to pick out my new 120mm fan, how is this?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I found a nice DELTA FFB1212VHE 120mm fan that puts out 191CFM's. Will this be enough airflow to cool a mildly OC'ed 939 processor? The dBA is 59, if you were to compare the sound to something, how loud would you estimate it at?

newls1 said:
The dBA is 59, if you were to compare the sound to something, how loud would you estimate it at?
A wall mounted air conditioner.

torment said:
You can't hear inside your brain though :D

if you plug your ears and nose you can :D OR go underwater :p

mine is saying... go with a panaflo 120

lol

I've got an xp-120 wth Panaflo L1A and its perfect. Not too loud and gives pretty good cfm.

torment said:
lol

I've got an xp-120 wth Panaflo L1A and its perfect. Not too loud and gives pretty good cfm.
What CFM? And, no one really answered my original question yet. Is 190CFM good enough to cool a mild OC'ed FX57? Since day one of my FX57 i've used phase cooling (-57c) so this will be my (POOR LITTLE) FX57's first time seeing "NORMAL" temps :p

My Panaflo L1A pushes around 68cfm @ 30dBa. My pick was for a quiet solution and its perfect. Get like a Panaflo M1A and you'll be fine and a lot less headache.

I have two of those fans and the sound is bearable fore ME. They are louder than you think although not as loud as the 220cfm fan( 65db I think. Had one on my xp 120). I really like the high speed tri blade delta @ 140 to 150 cfm(can't remember the exact cfm). I am running three of these at the moment, 1 as case intake , 1 as case exhaust, and one on top of the xp 120. They really hit the sweet spot as far as noise to performance to cost goes. Anyway good luck with your purchase whatever it ends up being.

190CFM is just ridiculous...and the noise would be like artillery on your 6 (if you play BF2). Check out the 120mm Panaflo fans, man.

delta makes damn fine fans, but you don't want anything from their FFB or TFB series thought. delta product series that you should probably have a look at are the AFB series and the EFB series.

whatever brand you choose at the end of the day, you should probably look for 28 - 35 dB noise levels, and 55 - 85 CFM airflow. that is in the range that most people would consider to be tollerable, although certainly not super-quiet.

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute, and is a measure of how much air a fan moves, to let you gauge relative cooling power.

one of the reasons that i like delta fans, especially when they are going to be blowing through a heatsink or a rad, is that they typically use a stronger motor as compared to other brands of fans rated for similar airflow. the stronger motor means that they can keep rotating at close to the same speed, in spite of the added resistance they are blowing through, and move more air than a fan with the same peak output, and a weaker motor.

some reputable OEM-ish names include:
panaflo
delta
yate loon
YS tech
EBM/papst

has anyone tried the thermaltake thunderblades? I hate led's but if they come close to the specs that would be pretty good.

I dont want the standard "I wipe my arse with thermaltake" responses either, I'd like an informed opinion on this particular fan(I already know most of the other stuff is trash). I am considering picking up a few along with a fan controller, hopefully the combo nets great dba @ cfm.

Deadsexy said:
has anyone tried the thermaltake thunderblades? I hate led's but if they come close to the specs that would be pretty good.

I dont want the standard "I wipe my arse with thermaltake" responses either, I'd like an informed opinion on this particular fan(I already know most of the other stuff is trash). I am considering picking up a few along with a fan controller, hopefully the combo nets great dba @ cfm.
they're lying about something. they have to be, that's part of what makes thremaltake who they are. however, those fans are legitimately pretty quiet. not silent, not super quiet, but quiet all the same.

my panaflo which pushes 70cfm at 30db keeps my x2 3800 with 1.5v and 2.5ghz at 40c full load. room temp is around 70F

Deadsexy said:

But they don't come anywhere close to their rated specs... that's the main issue.

Deadsexy said:
in both dba and cfm or just dba?
Mostly dBA... their cfm ratings are about right, considering the amount of RPMs those fans are moving at. Their noise ratings are just way off.

That DELTA has seriously too much cfm. You dont need that much. Get it if it has a fan controller or you do to turn it down otherwise it will be well too loud.

DFI Daishi said:
they're lying about something. they have to be, that's part of what makes thremaltake who they are. however, those fans are legitimately pretty quiet. not silent, not super quiet, but quiet all the same.

I've got a couple coming in Friday. 80CFM @ 21DB? this was too good to be true I had to see it for myself!

AtomicFire said:
I've got a couple coming in Friday. 80CFM @ 21DB? this was too good to be true I had to see it for myself!
But most users don't know what 21dBA really is... hopefully you have something good to compare it to.

I use an 80mm Panaflo L1A (1900rpm, 24cfm, 21dBA) as my reference.

ballistic said:
21db is pretty damn quiet...

Yeah, the stock ones on the Antec SuperLAN Boy are 23db, but they only push a pitiful 30cfm or something like that.

21db is pretty damn quiet.

AtomicFire said:
you're right, it IS too good to be true. as i said, they are lying. those fans are louder than 21 dB, although i think that they are still around 30 dB, meaning that they aren't exactly loud. 80 CFM @ 30 dB is plausible, but unusually good. 80 CFM @ 21 dB would have to be using some "unorthodox" noise measurement techniques, which is something that thermaltake has been doing for years.

perhaps i should be more fair to thermaltake: they aren't EXACTLY lying, however they measure with the the mic much farther away from the fan than other manufacturers do, meaning that you can't compare a thermaltake rating with anyone else's. sunon, delta, papst, panaflo (formerly made by panasonic, now by NMB) all measure noise in a pretty similar manner. you can compare ratings reasonably well. thermaltake is way out there, as compared to them.

Just got them in and installed them. holy. shit.

they are NOT 21db, but more like 30+

ahh....."around 30 dB" it is.....i'm glad that i can still remember mindless trivia as well as i used to. going to school for real again is filling my head with so many real facts that i was worried that some of the useless stuff might have been squeezed out.

got my thunderblades and hooked one up so far. It isnt silent by any means but it does move A LOT of air. The fan itself makes little if any noise at all but the sound of the air moving especially with a grill on makes the majority of the noise, which really isnt THAT much. The only thing I dont like about the thunderblades are the LED's but I knew what I was getting into with that so I cant complain too much.

torment said:
Hairdryer inside your ear.
It isn't THAT bad... I have 4 Vantec Tornada 80mm case fans and a 92mm Tornado on a Swiftech heatsink cooling the CPU (plus a few small, less performing fans). Is it loud? yes... but it isn't like mind numbing or anything. You get used to it (I leave it running 24/7). I love the fact that my case temp never exceeds 30c and my CPU at full load (playing EQ2 for 8 hours straight) never exceeds 35c on air cooling.

torment said:
My Panaflo L1A pushes around 68cfm @ 30dBa. My pick was for a quiet solution and its perfect. Get like a Panaflo M1A and you'll be fine and a lot less headache.

that fan cools my opteron 146 @ 3.1ghz on air with no problems.

It's hilarious how you want to know if 191 CFM is enough to cool your heatsink. Like everybody is saying, that is more than enough. Perhaps 4-5 times MORE than enough.

You also get maybe 10 times as much noise however as the db scale is curved :)

Back