HOT? BenQ DW1640 16x DVD Burner $29.99

saintrobyn

Gawd
Please be kind this is my first Hot Deal post.

I was shopping CompUSA for a new DVD burner and picked up a Hi-Val 16x DVD writer that is normally $69.99. Since Hi-Val is a rebadging company, I was pleasantly surprised to see them using the BenQ DW1640 for this product. When I got up to the register it rang out for $29.99. I figured it was a glitch in the system and I got a good deal. Got it home and checked the CompUSA ad for this week. Seems that you can get this drive for free with the purchase of Easy Media Creator 8.0. The brake down is as followed:

Hi-Val HDVD168DL: $69.99
Instant Savings: $40.00
Bundle Mail-In: $30.00

The instant is taken off with or without the purchase of Easy Media Creator 8.0. The CompUSA sku for this product is 334028.

Damn, that is very good. The Benq DW1640 is one of the best drives out on the market right now, and for $30 OTD that's pretty much the cheapest you can get a brand new DVD writer drive.

I hope this isn't a YMMV thing, and that all of them are Benq 1640s and such.

Oh yeah, the Benq 1640 can burn at higher speed on some media (like 16x to Taiyo TG02s)

Does anyone else still see this deal on the Compusa webpage? I was hoping to get in on this...

Using that SKU, i see this burner w/ a different model # and specs
If i browse the site i see this burner w/ the same model #, a different sku, but it sounds right (except for it being an "internal usb 2.0 drive", gotta love CompUSSR :rolleyes:)

Both of them show a 30 MIR...

I checked the website as well when I got home and it does not mention it being $29.99 like it is in the store. Keep in mind that the free after rebate deal when bundled with Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.0 was in the Sunday Newspaper Ads. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to go in store to get it. I don't think they would give you the $40 off if you bought in on the web.

I checked my local ad, and it does show for $70 - $40 instant rebate, this is in southern cali too! I'm so happy! Hopefully its a Benq too...

Here's a link to the ad and the blow up

FYI they also have a 256mb usb flash drive for free after a $25 rebate (after tax it comes out to just shy of $2). its on the same page as the burner :)

Sorry, I'm smoking crack this morning....

delete this post.

Hot drive if theres a CUSA in your area.

BillLeeLee said:
Damn, that is very good. The Benq DW1640 is one of the best drives out on the market right now, and for $30 OTD that's pretty much the cheapest you can get a brand new DVD writer drive.

I hope this isn't a YMMV thing, and that all of them are Benq 1640s and such.

Oh yeah, the Benq 1640 can burn at higher speed on some media (like 16x to Taiyo TG02s)
Nope, need BSLB FW and QSuite 2.0 to overspeed, it won't overspeed by default ;)

hey guys, i was thinking about jumping on this but i have 2 questions

1. what color is it, i can't seem to get the image to load
2. how does this compare to the nec-3540a

TIA

Does any store even have these available? All the stores in the DC area have been sold out for the past two days...

I needed one, too. :(

mpegripper said:
hey guys, i was thinking about jumping on this but i have 2 questions

1. what color is it, i can't seem to get the image to load
2. how does this compare to the nec-3540a

TIA

It comes with a black faceplate as well as the regular beige (instaled by default).
Hm.. it says its internal USB 2.0... I'm sure that's a typo though.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=334028&pfp=srch1

I have the 3540a as well, but I'm thinking of getting this as a second drive for disc to disc copies...

The BenQ DW1640 got their Editors Choice award: “An unpolished diamond, the drive performs excellent in almost every area and offers features that really puts it ahead of the competition”

The NEC 3540A was rated a Safe Buy: "An excellent choice for those who are interested in quality and needs a very fast DVD±R/RW drive”"

I'd get the BenQ hands down if we can reliably identify it in the store.

Of note is it's currently @ Newegg for $40 + $4 Shipping. For those that either don't have a CUSA nearby or want to go through the hassle of getting this deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101649

Also of note is that NEC drive is on One Day Sale @ $38.99 Shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

And since we're on the subject... the Pioneer 110DBK @ $46.99 Shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129164

I only mention this because after tax in the store, you'll quickly be approaching the $40 mark @ ~$32 anyway.

The BenQ drive on Newegg.com comes with Nero Express 6. Any clue what the Hi-Val rebrand comes bundled with? Nero is probably worth the extra $10.

CompUSA in Melbourne, FL: no drives there. Hurricane Wilma cut their connection to the mother ship and they can't check their stock on the computer. Some kid had a look in the back and didn't see any DVD burners.

gareth.ky said:
The BenQ drive on Newegg.com comes with Nero Express 6. Any clue what the Hi-Val rebrand comes bundled with? Nero is probably worth the extra $10.

CompUSA in Melbourne, FL: no drives there. Hurricane Wilma cut their connection to the mother ship and they can't check their stock on the computer. Some kid had a look in the back and didn't see any DVD burners.

Mine came with nero in the box.

This is like the third or fourth DVD burner deal I've missed out on, it's getting a little frustrating. I just got back and they said they don't have any and the other closest store is minus three. :mad:

gareth.ky said:
The BenQ DW1640 got their Editors Choice award: “An unpolished diamond, the drive performs excellent in almost every area and offers features that really puts it ahead of the competition”

The NEC 3540A was rated a Safe Buy: "An excellent choice for those who are interested in quality and needs a very fast DVD±R/RW drive”"

I'd get the BenQ hands down if we can reliably identify it in the store.

Hey BTW BENQ drives are NOT supported by external USB enclosures. Just a heads up. :D

the benq 1640 is the same drive as the plextor 740, at less than half the price. i have 2 benq's and i have the plex in my sff. if you can get this for $30, good enough. but even going for the $38 or $39 plus shipping at newegg is a bargain.

albert6719 said:
Hey BTW BENQ drives are NOT supported by external USB enclosures. Just a heads up. :D
Must you spread FUD? Go read the CDFreaks Benq forum, and read up on the EW164 firmware...

Thanks for this find. I went to pick it up back in the middle of the week it was on sale. They were sold out. Got a rain check and just went back today. They misread the add and said they couldn't get the MIR to print from that far back. So they wanted to give it to me FREE out the door. They asked the manager and he said ring it up for $9.99. I said SOLD, asked for two and was denied. Oh well can't hurt to try :D
They had TDK 16x +R 50 pack for $17.99 manager special.
1. BenQ DW1640
2. Nero packaged
3. 50 16x DVDs
less than $30 OTD
In the future, if you didn't get one, GET A RAIN CHECK!

matt fury said:
Fuckers told me 'no rain checks'. glad you didnt get the BS tho.

Unfortunatly the only two states in the union that I know of that have to give rainchecks are Ohio and Michigan. They are required by law to give a raincheck unless it is a close out item, discontinued, or it is a limited time special event.

Back