Koolance's new Ram cooler

hoobie7

Limp Gawd
Well I was browsing Koolance's site and found this. Thought some body might like to see it. Looks..... kinda complex. I'm not sure but i don't think it would work on a two module setup if the modules were in slot 1 and 3 instead of right next to each other. :confused: What do you think?

Link to it is here!

http://www.koolance.com/images/ram-30-v06_p0.jpg

http://www.koolance.com/images/ram-30-v06_p1.jpg

http://www.koolance.com/images/ram-30-v06_p2.jpg

Hoobie :)

Bad ass...But...My unc was telling me about this new technology he read about that's supposed to only dissipate 1/4 watt or less of heat....So we'll se what happens, but in the meantime, that's crazy, and I'm eager to see some benches!!! :)

Very cool looking. I'm just wondering, would you put thermal paste between it and the mem chips, or do you just slip them over the ram modules without?

hoobie7 said:
What do you think?

I think you're stealing bandwidth from Koolance and they probably wont like it.
BTW, kickass.... good find.

Rehosted images:

ram-30-v06_p0.jpg

ram-30-v06_p1.jpg

ram-30-v06_p2.jpg

it uses hydrapaks like the hard drive coolers. no thermal paste required. as far as fitting onto slots 1 and 3 goes, it looks like it only covers the two next to each other in the pics. you will prolly want two anyway so you can split them and get better flowrates. the hose connections there are only 1/4". i have to give this one to Koolance... the final product looks really nice.

I don't think you would use thermal compound of any kind. It's like their hard drive coolers. Their website says it uses their Hydra-Pak technology. (a.k.a. Plastic baggy of fluid) ;)

Hoobie :)

It certainly looks bad-ass. Those who want an [H] setup will likely buy it just because. For those to whom price/performance matter only a bunch of serious reviews will make a difference.

I admit that I have not looked into it, but is heat an actual problem for RAMs? I realize that there are hotspots and spreaders can take care of that, but is the heat they generate worth water cooling? That Koolance seems to think so doesn't convince me just yet. ;)

For those pushing 3.5v+ through UTT sticks, sure it will do some good...Will it make a difference over a simple fan blowing over them, maybe/maybe not.

holy crap, that beats the hell out of heat spreaders for bling but i don't see them being very super benificial...

anakin357 said:
I think you're stealing bandwidth from Koolance and they probably wont like it.
BTW, kickass.... good find.

They better like it, free publicity/advertising :)

they do perform too. when i was testing the early versions we were using the UTT memory described above at insane vontages! this puppy kept them nice and cool.

Wow I was just thinking the other day if we would ever see water cooled system memory! I'd love to see some reviews on this :)

they do perform too. when i was testing the early versions we were using the UTT memory described above at insane vontages! this puppy kept them nice and cool

how did you test the temps before and after? what was the total difference? did you also test the difference between just using a fan and using these? how bout some ram sinks with a fan and these? those are the kind of tests i'm interested in seeing.

I still stand firmly behind the belief that watercooling RAM is an unnecessary venture. That being said the Koolance blocks are a better design than the AC Ramplex....

Erasmus354 said:
I still stand firmly behind the belief that watercooling RAM is an unnecessary venture. That being said the Koolance blocks are a better design than the AC Ramplex....

Stubborn to the end. :rolleyes: Better as in how?

Erasmus354 said:
I still stand firmly behind the belief that watercooling RAM is an unnecessary venture
you obviously haven't oc'ed 1gb ballistix sticks then ;)

sexy.. but probably a waste of money. you might get 1-2mhz over a good fan

Why would you design a high-end cooling product with 1/4" barbs? That'd absolutely kill your flow rate and the people most likely to use this are the people with high flow systems overclocking everything they can. It seems like more of a novelty than anything, similar to many hard drive coolers.

(cf)Eclipse said:
you obviously haven't oc'ed 1gb ballistix sticks then ;)
I have............. :D And promptly sold them when I was finished with them................ :eek:

i use 1/2" ID hose so its useless for me but it looks realy nice, i can't wait to see some reviews to know if they actualy do anything.

You guys with big hoses are probably going to be out of the running when it comes to cooling things like RAM and tightly packed chipsets. In many situations two 1/2" tubes are bigger than the coolers themselves. So if you plan on doing something like this you will probably be needing a low flow system. :D

Top Nurse said:
You guys with big hoses are probably going to be out of the running when it comes to cooling things like RAM and tightly packed chipsets. In many situations two 1/2" tubes are bigger than the coolers themselves. So if you plan on doing something like this you will probably be needing a low flow system. :D

Yeah but that just adds more heat and another restriction to your already low flow system. Unless you've got a really really efficient radiator the size of a small bus, I can't see how this is a good thing. I'd rather have the extra CPU/GPU headroom.

I really dont understand the benefit of a low flow system in reasonable ambient temp zones other than noise. I can get lower temps on air than most low flow w/cing rigs just due to my ambient being around 15-20C. I had an overclocked 2.53 northwood running well under 95F load for a while. Now let's say I replaced that with a low-flow AC system. With the processor and GPU, it'd probably be awesome. I'd likely have seen near 80F temps on die. Then I go adding this goofy ram thing and a hard drive cooler(which is entirely unnecessary) for the gimmick factor and all of a sudden I've shot up a good 5-10F in my loop. Where's the benefit? It's not helping my ram or my hard drive... Then I also have to worry about my pump since I'm low flow and adding a lot of extra head.

I dunno, I'm just not seeing it.

InternationalHat said:
Yeah but that just adds more heat and another restriction to your already low flow system. Unless you've got a really really efficient radiator the size of a small bus, I can't see how this is a good thing. I'd rather have the extra CPU/GPU headroom.

I really dont understand the benefit of a low flow system in reasonable ambient temp zones other than noise. I can get lower temps on air than most low flow w/cing rigs just due to my ambient being around 15-20C. I had an overclocked 2.53 northwood running well under 95F load for a while. Now let's say I replaced that with a low-flow AC system. With the processor and GPU, it'd probably be awesome. I'd likely have seen near 80F temps on die. Then I go adding this goofy ram thing and a hard drive cooler(which is entirely unnecessary) for the gimmick factor and all of a sudden I've shot up a good 5-10F in my loop. Where's the benefit? It's not helping my ram or my hard drive... Then I also have to worry about my pump since I'm low flow and adding a lot of extra head.

I dunno, I'm just not seeing it.
Don't feel alone, I've never seen a reason to water cool anything except the CPU and GPU. I do suppose that there's a certain amount of geek factor in all those blocks, but I'll never see the need, even on my Alphocool system..............;)

Top Nurse said:
Stubborn to the end. :rolleyes: Better as in how?

The hydra-pak design provides much better cooling then AC's method. AC's blocks (unless I am mistaken) are essentially heatspreaders with a waterblock on top. Koolance's method seems to be more effecient at transfering the heat from the RAM to the water.

@ Eclipse : You still only need some air moving around the RAM to keep it sufficiently cool. Your Processor will crap out before your RAM.

i like to think of my particular setup as extra-medium flow :p but i digress...
like i said before you can use a splitter to go down to a pair of 1/4" lines. this works a bit better on 3/8" setups.
as far as testing methodology goes... i dont' have exact data, and probably couldnt give it out if i did, seeing as i dont work for them anymore. I used multiple temperature probes attached directly to the tops of the ram chips. i dont remember the exact memory I used but it was Mushkin Redline on a DFI NF4 board @ 4v. the guys at Koolance still have all my testing data (as it is theirs) but i stand by my earlier statment that this product performs. I would like to qualify that by saying, if you dont have some seriously hot f'ing ram you really dont need this. I could also see the HTPC crowd liking this for zero or near-zero air flow cases.

EDIT: wait for the first reviews to come out.. i think you will all get a better idea of how this puppy work then. its kind of hard to wrap your head around with just a couple pics. the basic principle is obvious, but the final execution is pretty cool.

I'd buy them just for the sexy blackness. They look pretty freakin' incredible. And as another poster said, a 1x3/8" to 2x1/4" split would probably work pretty good, especially if it was set as a simultaneous course to the CPU/GPU.

Erasmus354 said:
@ Eclipse : You still only need some air moving around the RAM to keep it sufficiently cool. Your Processor will crap out before your RAM.

dude. what in hell are you talking about? not once havs any of my 2 newer amd chips crapped out before my ram. meaning i had to run a divider to get the cpu higher. right now my opteron is at 2.9 (with room to go mind you) and the ram, well thats waaaay down there.

and no, "some air moving around the ram" is not enough. not in the year 2005. cmon folks i dont mean to be hardnosed asshole about it, but 2 things happening in this thread that i couldnt leave alone:
1. why in fuk are we comapring / arguing AC vs the world again. FUCKING A stop. we have a few threads for that already
2. ram does need cooling, and while im here tlakin about common misconceptions and old thinking: vsync is nice if you can handle it.... you dont need to be running counterstrike with your $3000 alienware at 1024. yea, you can run it at more... maybe even 16x12 with your big bad 78.... ram gets hot.... oh and my personal favorite i thought had finally died but didnt: dividers arent bad. you may be caught up in some computing from 2003, but in the age of athlon64.... dividers are ok. and one more time. ram gets hot. active cooling is becoming very common.

now that ive finished that generalized rant about things people still think... in 2005... lett me tell you about my ram:
i have bh-5 voltage loving ram. as soon as i break 3v... active cooling is necessary or memtest and super pi and all them stress testers FAIL.
i also have tccX, and guess what? its worse than the bh-5... i cant run over 250mhz WITHOUT active cooling cuz oncei start pushing past 2.6v it gets scorching hot to the touch! i know.... i burnt the tip of my finger.

and lastly. i hate fans. so active cooling my ram with loud ass fans sucks. thats why i got watercooling. in the year 2005 (again) lots and lots and lots of companies have been making and selling watercooling as its becoming more commonplace. lots of people want quieter machines (and lotts of folks OC i spose). along those lines... and becuz ram gets hot, ram blocks are here. its that simple.

now hdd blocks thats for shits and giggles... cuz with my 120mm on super slow it keeps em under 35 degrees so thats ok.

so yea, super arsehole obvious rant above, but really... the AC vs the world needs to stop and the concept that ram does not get hot or requirre cooling is really a very bad misconception. cuz if you call yourself an enthusiast and you OC, then at some point, you will find your ram needing some cooling. ACTIVELY

ps: excuse all my typos if ya dont mind ;)

el rolio said:
dude. what in hell are you talking about? not once havs any of my 2 newer amd chips crapped out before my ram. meaning i had to run a divider to get the cpu higher. right now my opteron is at 2.9 (with room to go mind you) and the ram, well thats waaaay down there.

When he says crap out I'm pretty certain he means it as die...your CPU will go tits up before your ram will in other words.

Top Nurse said:
Try it and you might find a reason. :)
As long as my ram runs cool to the touch at max load at the OC's I run with normal air flow, there is no reason to clutter up the inside of my case or degrade the performance of my main loop with over priced bling that doesn't offer any performance gains. Another secondary reason is that I change my system around to much (a lot of different ram), and all those blocks would just get in the way........................ :eek:

My RAM has more headroom than my CPU does at 1:1 ... *cries himself a river*

CPU doesn't like anything over 295*9, and I'm pretty sure this RAM will do at least 300, there's a couple posts on xtremesystems of hitting 315-320 with this memory at looser timings - with air cooling of course.

I am rather impressed by their ram cooler. Definately going onto my wishlist for my future computer which I want to be as silent as possible.

Back