Dayton Subwoofers on Special at Parts Express

porterhaus

n00b
The 10" Dayton Subwoofer and the 12" Dayton Subwoofer are both on special right now. For $99.88 and $120.60 respectively (including shipping). However both are also OOS with an expected date of 11/18/05 for availibility. I think these are good deals for budget subs. I have no idea how long the specials will last.
Edit: updated the 12" sub link to show the new design.

There you guys have done it again, making me spend my money. Will probably pick one or two up tonite, maybe a 10" and a 12" hmm... Gonna have two 2.0 speaker setups that'll each need a sub. I'll likely mate one with a pair of AV123's new ONIX X-LS bookshelfs (can't wait till those begin shipping).

Any word yet on how the 12" sub sounds? I've read lots of feedback on the 10" but hardly any on the 12".

SJetski71 said:
Any word yet on how the 12" sub sounds? I've read lots of feedback on the 10" but hardly any on the 12".
We have probably read a lot of the same stuff. Most of what I have read is at AVS forum and positive. Not much negative feedback. Hopefully that is a good sign. What will you be using it for mostly, music or movies?

I decided to splurge and get the Dayton 10" Titanic MKIII Subwoofer Kit for $349.80 because its supposed to be great for music. I probably spent way too much money. But I think it will be fun to assemble it. And it will be a big upgrade from my existing 60-watt Polk Audio sub.

Hey, those Onix X-LS bookshelfs look great. Any idea when they are going to start shipping?

porterhaus said:
We have probably read a lot of the same stuff. Most of what I have read is at AVS forum and positive. Not much negative feedback. Hopefully that is a good sign. What will you be using it for mostly, music or movies?

I decided to splurge and get the Dayton 10" Titanic MKIII Subwoofer Kit for $349.80 because its supposed to be great for music. I probably spent way too much money. But I think it will be fun to assemble it. And it will be a big upgrade from my existing 60-watt Polk Audio sub.

Hey, those Onix X-LS bookshelfs look great. Any idea when they are going to start shipping ?
Not 100% sure but all sources point towards mid november...hopefully

I'm happy with mine and the store as well. I paid full price just had a special on free shipping, and I'm happy. Just hopping in my BF2 tank, get the nice rumble going. :p

Mine is my computer subwoofer. The 10".

vbrtrmn said:
I've ordered from Part Express, decent company, I recommend them.

Absolutely. I havent ordered much hardware from them (some amps and speakers) but Ive ordered MILES of cables from them for home theatres and studio cables. Never once been disappointed.

lowside67 said:
it's too bad the subs are all sold out :(
backorders are accepted and they'll be sent out the nov 20th approx.

By the time Nov 20th rolls around this promo will likely be over so now is the time to order ;).

do you guys think either of these subs preforms better than the one from Logitech Z-5500
cause the Logitech sub is 188watts

texuspete00 said:
. Just hopping in my BF2 tank, get the nice rumble going. :p.

i know what you mean - my apt neighboor knows what vehicles i'm driving becuase I have logitech something or others with an 6" sub in it, so I can't imagine a decent setup - wouldn't be able to run it in an apt

Damn you people. First I saw the AT thread last week, and was able to resist. Then I got my PE catalog in the mail and I resisted only because it was out of stock. But this thread was the final straw. I hadn't realized I can backorder and still get the same price when it comes back in stock. I've been wanting the 12" sub for quite a while, and this deal is just too good to pass up.

I so thought I had successfully resisted this purchase, but the constant reminders were too much for my weak self control to handle. :)

Gun_Strife said:
do you guys think either of these subs preforms better than the one from Logitech Z-5500
cause the Logitech sub is 188watts
Good question. Maybe someone that has heard or tested both could comment. They are designed for different applications. The Dayton is for home theater and the Logitech is part of a surround system designed for computers. I would be concerned about shielding (or lack of) of the magnet field for use near a computer. Toms Hardware has a review up that says the SPL of the Logitech is 120 db. Thats good but I don't know if it will play as loud as the Dayton at lower frequencies. I do not know if the 188-watt rating is RMS or peak. Why are you asking? What is your application?

JBark said:
Damn you people. First I saw the AT thread last week, and was able to resist. Then I got my PE catalog in the mail and I resisted only because it was out of stock. But this thread was the final straw. I hadn't realized I can backorder and still get the same price when it comes back in stock. I've been wanting the 12" sub for quite a while, and this deal is just too good to pass up.

I so thought I had successfully resisted this purchase, but the constant reminders were too much for my weak self control to handle. :)
Money is the root of all evil...that's why I spend it as fast as I can get it!! :D

These are really nice subs for the price. Recommended one to my friend 6 months ago and he got the 10" for $120 (the regular price). It's a steal even for that price.

well the thing is I already have some towers and surrounds, basically 5.1 minus the .1 I blew that damn thing a good while back but have been waitng to maybe just get new setup, the ones I got are ok the 2 towers as fronts have 2x 8" and a 3 1/4 each and my surrounds are an 8" and a 5 1/4 each and my center kinda sucks, i used to have it as 7.1 but the bass would always make my to rears fall down so I gave that up

now what I was think since the logitech now uses regular speaker cable I could just hook those speakers up to my reciver along with my 2 front speakers and the sub from logitech giving me a 7.1 again

my whole point is I need a new sub everyone who comes over says I dont cause my setup already produces alot of rumbling, but like those who said it b4 hopping into that tank in BF was incredible, you know you dont miss what ya never had but always miss what ya did, I would just love to shake pictures off the wall again

Wow that was quick. I put in my order around noon, wonder if it will ship out tomorrow.

strid3r said:
Wow that was quick. I put in my order around noon, wonder if it will ship out tomorrow.
I think there is a very good chance it will ship out tomorrow. I ordered a different sub (kit) last friday around 2:00 PM and it shipped the same day. They say on the website they will make every attempt to ship the same day if the order is placed with a CC before 3:00 PM. :)

Gun_Strife said:
well the thing is I already have some towers and surrounds, basically 5.1 minus the .1 I blew that damn thing a good while back but have been waitng to maybe just get new setup, the ones I got are ok the 2 towers as fronts have 2x 8" and a 3 1/4 each and my surrounds are an 8" and a 5 1/4 each and my center kinda sucks, i used to have it as 7.1 but the bass would always make my to rears fall down so I gave that up

now what I was think since the logitech now uses regular speaker cable I could just hook those speakers up to my reciver along with my 2 front speakers and the sub from logitech giving me a 7.1 again

my whole point is I need a new sub everyone who comes over says I dont cause my setup already produces alot of rumbling, but like those who said it b4 hopping into that tank in BF was incredible, you know you dont miss what ya never had but always miss what ya did, I would just love to shake pictures off the wall again
What size room are you playing the sub in? What size sub & amp did you have before? Did it produce enough SPL for you?

Gun_Strife,

You may want to pose your question to the folks in the subwoofer forum at AVSforum.com. There are plenty of very knowledgeable folks there that can help you better than I can. I there are a couple of threads already there about the current special on the Dayton subs.

My guess is the Daytons will play lower frequencies (based on the manufacturer's listed frequency responces of the Daytons vs the Logitech and the fact that the Daytons have much larger enclosures & their ports are likely tuned for lower frequencies.). This is a good thing, especially for movie soundeffects, etc.

Loudness, or sound pressure level (aka SPL) might be a different story. The best way to tell for sure would be a test with a SPL meter in the actual room. Also, if you are going to be playing computer games with it for extended periods then I guess its possible that the Logitech might be designed specifically for this application and might therefore be better suited for that type of useage and therefore might be more reliable (I don't really know and am just guessing about this though).

My suggestion is for those of you talking about the logitechs, don't even compare them to the Daytons. It's not possible. This is like comparing a mcdonalds burger to filet, and the Dayton sub isn't even "high end."

K well its kinda small it was an awesome 8 it was some weird one I got from a guy dont know brand or w/e but it was great, well I guess I could just bite on it cause the site says 45 day money back guarantee so I guess if its not up to par where the last one left me I could just return it

also logitech=mcdonalds

well, the dayton isnt exactly a filet mignon.
dayton vs logitech may be more like random local diner vs mcdonalds

superlyduper said:
well, the dayton isnt exactly a filet mignon.
dayton vs logitech may be more like random local diner vs mcdonalds
It might be a slight exaggeration, sure, but it's amusing to see logitech and a real HT sub in the same thread with people really trying to understand which is going to be better.

gopherscanswim said:
It might be a slight exaggeration, sure, but it's amusing to see logitech and a real HT sub in the same thread with people really trying to understand which is going to be better.
Thanks gopherscanswim, I was hoping someone would chime in and help us out. :)

gopherscanswim said:

Very. I tested a 25hz test tone through this sub and the Dayton hit it. I was a little surprised myself.

I've ordered from PE many, many times and have never been disapointed. Once I was having some minor cosmetic issues with some cables that I had owned for over a year. After shooting them an email, they gave me $20 credit even though they were an overstock item with a 30 day warrenty. I've had the ten incher for a few years (got it on sale as well). It kicks very well for its size/price.

Any of you guys with older dayton subs swap out the woofer yet? (as in upgrading to a better quality)

strid3r said:
I just got the shipping notice for my 10". This should be fun. :)

Yep, just got the shipping notice for my 12" as well. 11/21 ship date my ass. :)

You guys be sure to post your impressions as soon as you get a chance to audition those subs. I hope to see a bunch of :Ds and comparisons to other subs you have had or heard. And hopefully some SPL meter readings.

the 12" has been updated or something....

i had a question... if i had an onkyo tx8511... how would i go about connecting this to it? im not sure how i would connect the sub to this system (im a HT newb so i dont really know how powered woofers will be connected) thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out!

Seeing these deals is pretty damn tempting. I've been wanting, on occasion, to add a second sub to my HT system... guess that would make it 5.2? :p Things that stop me from doing it would be the cost of the cable (would likely put it in the opposite corner from the current sub?) and that I'm not sure how well things would sound using one of these Daytons with my current 15" Infinity powered sub. Hmmm, maybe I should just get one for the garage. ;)

Regards,
fastgeek

lowside67 said:
damn the ppl who ordered the 12" got fucked lol.
My understanding is the new sub has the same driver and amp as the old one. The main difference is the cabinet. Its front firing with (2) rear ports instead of down firing with (1) front port. Until these get delivered and we get some feedback on how they perform we don't know if this is an improvement or not. These subs are getting sold as fast as they can get them in stock. We will see if this continues with the new design. :)

Back