Power Supply Tester - 99 cents

magnetik

Staff member
Power Supply Tester - .99

Don't know how good it is.. but for .99 it might be good to have in the old trusty computer builders tool box. shipping is like $5-6 tho. still pretty cheap.

The Aspire Power Supply Tester displays the condition of your power supply. Simply plug the tester into your power supply's 20 pin molex connector and the built in LEDs will give a basic diagnostic of your power supply. If all of the green LED's light up and it beeps, then the power is OK. If a LED doesn't light up, then there is a malfunction in the power supply and it is highly recommended to no longer use.
For a more indepth test, you can plug in the power supply's 4 pin molex connectors, or a P4 connector or a 3-pin Floppy connectors. The Power Supply Tester will verify if the +12V and +5V lines are working on the psu for each of those plugs.

I keep meaning to grab one of these but forget until I need it and dont have it lol

i was interested until i read this

Warning: This product is designed only for power supply output tests. Do not leave it connected to the power supply unattended. It generates heat and could possibly damage your power supply.

i especially don't like the part about Damage your power supply..

H-street said:

well.. it's made to test your power supply.. shouldn't be left on for long periods of time anyways.. which leads to heat.. which is bad. The other testers say the same thing. So just make sure you don't put one on.. and go to bed. :p

H-street said:

Confusing post. I suppose if you just cant help but use it improperly you should avoid. Now for those of us with no problems using things as directed this is a steal.

edit: pickles is right

OOS

Bet somebody bought 200 of em to sell on ebay, bastards

Paper clips can tell you if the power supply has enough life to turn itself on, but it won't test the voltages of everything else. Oh and the idea of closing a circuit with an exposed piece of metal...

Grr.... Saw this one too late. I could have definitely used this gizmo for $8. Nice catch though OP.

Isn't this item just an array of leds with the correct resistors for the various voltages? You could make one for cheap, minus the fancy molex connectors (That you could even get offa an old dead motherboard.)

chaostic said:
Isn't this item just an array of leds with the correct resistors for the various voltages? You could make one for cheap, minus the fancy molex connectors (That you could even get offa an old dead motherboard.)

Yes. Or you can do it the lazy way and use a multi-meter like I do now. The advantage here is convenience and ease of use. No reason to re-invent the wheel if I can buy one for $0.99.

Rori said:
Yes. Or you can do it the lazy way and use a multi-meter like I do now. The advantage here is convenience and ease of use. No reason to re-invent the wheel if I can buy one for $0.99.

Well, .99 cents plus shipping plus the wait time cause it's outta stock...

Yeah, I know. :(

So it's still with the trusty multimeter for the time being. But here's hoping that bring that gizmo back!

Aspire?! I dont trust aspire products anymore. not after the last aspire 500w PSU i had nearly fried my old 9800 pro ... it SCORCHED the power connecter on the card - but the card still pushes the pixels!

Back