Backlight issue with the Viewsonic VP930b

hojolight

n00b
To anyone who owns this monitor and had a problem with backlight seepage: if you exchanged it for another unit, did the replacement monitor have a backlight issue as well? I'm just wondering how prevalent this problem is. TIA

I bought this LCD 2 weeks ago. There is no problem regarding backlight or dead pixel with my unit. However, I'm interested in the color accuracy if anyone calibrated it with a monitor calibration package. I calibrated it with Spyder2, yet I still see some greenish or reddish colorcast in the dark gray color range.

wow, just googled the Syper 2 program. $300 for just monitor tuning, WOW! I hope it gets that thing PERFECT...

You can get it on eBay for $150 Budwise. It does make a big difference, but still not perfect unfortunately :(

Mine is sitting at home in the box waiting for me to install it. I'll post after I get it up and running.

Hmmmm I got mine today and I got a nice "X" format across the backlight and this thing ghosts like crazy. Hmmmmmmm....i'll have to do more testing when I get home.

I haven't had much time to adjust this LCD yet but I can say a few things about it:
1. WOW! My old CRT can't hold a candle to the vibrant colors on this thing.
2. No dead pixels. 0 . Gotta be happy with that.
3. Set Clear Type as your smoothing in the advanced tab in control panel under Displays.
4. I un-installed the Viewsonic software for now as it continuously pings the CPU. I don't know why but I believe it has something to do with portrait/landscape sensing.
5. Still trying to figure out the best way to tune an LCD. Do I use the Nvidia utility or the controls on the panel itself? Hopefully I can explore this more tonight. I believe the best way is to set up your resoulution and display qualities in Nvidia and then tune via panel controls and fine tune with the Nvidia controls. This is an LCD thing. They apparently are very sensitive to slight chages in control parameters, but man, the difference in output is unbelievable.
6. I saw some backlighting during boot up black screen but with a totally black background right now I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
7. The black on this thing is REALLY black. This is the deepest black I have ever seen.

Buggy BF2 i crashed my system, AGAIN, after hooking up theLCD. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. (the game and patch). Apparently BF2 can't deal with change. Still had some carsh to desktop issues so I reloaded the Nvidia driver with the hopes that it would adjust to the change in output better. I'll have to experiment later.

As far as game play, I saw some lag/smearing when scanning over a huge panorama such as in Kubra Dam, at the top of the hill, overlooking the valley, in a tank. It may have always been there but now I am looking for it and see it for that reason only. Don't know.
I'll load HL2 tonight and play a stable game which will give me a fair test of the panel.

I can say that BF2 looks completely different, in a good way. Details are incredible and all these new colors that weren't there before makes it seem like I'm playing a new game.

Do you guys mean to say that becklight seepage is not normal? My new LCD has noticeable seepage on the top.

Volume said:
Do you guys mean to say that becklight seepage is not normal? My new LCD has noticeable seepage on the top.

I have no big issues. If I leave the screen black in a relatively dim room, I can see a bit at the corners, but it's not significant, and I really cannot see this in other circumstances.

Albert

Albert Silver said:
I have no big issues. If I leave the screen black in a relatively dim room, I can see a bit at the corners, but it's not significant, and I really cannot see this in other circumstances.

Albert

What monitor do you have? From what you describe (seepage in the corners only) that sounds like a normal amount of backlight, and would be very acceptable. But from what a couple of these other guys are saying, with backlight protruding to the center of the screen and forming an 'X', that sounds awful.

Of course, a lot of this depends on brightness settings as well.

I'm just glad to know there are people out there as picky about backlight as I am.

I also just picked up a VP930b yesterday. I noticed the black is not too 'black', at the default setting, so I'm trying to find something to configure properly. Right now my settings are Contrast=90 and Brightness=25.

I tried to use the PerfectSuite software it comes with, but all the tabs are greyed out... only the Update tab isn't... and the software is up to date! argh... can someone offer me advice here?

I'm trying not to be a ^%)ing whiner but tbh if one spends $600 for a monitor you want your blacks black and you colors vibrant. i have yet to achieve this. if there's something else I can do to set it up... please let me know!!!

JB

wingnut77 said:
I also just picked up a VP930b yesterday.

I tried to use the PerfectSuite software it comes with, but all the tabs are greyed out... only the Update tab isn't... and the software is up to date! argh... can someone offer me advice here?

I'm trying not to be a ^%)ing whiner but tbh if one spends $600 for a monitor you want your blacks black and you colors vibrant.

Ah man, that's a bummer. That's supposed to be an awesome monitor! Perhaps with a bit more tweaking you'll get it looking pretty. Especially since Merc says his blacks are really black.

As far as certain tabs being grayed out, which ones are they? I know when I bought my first LCD, I used the DVI connection - which in turn grayed out many of the configuration options (due to the fact that DVI sets them automatically). Just a thought.

Hmm, good point. I use DVI, as I understood it was better and resulted in sharper colours. I was unaware that because of this you can't really edit anything in PerfectSuite...

My blacks aren't near black currently, and my brightness is even at 25%! :( Merc, anyone... lol... how can i get more out of this thing?

JB :)

I just got off the phone with Viewsonic, apparantly they ARN"T aware of it but I sent them links in regards to the issues were having and forced newegg a case # from Viewsonic for a refund as Im simply not in the mood to deal with monitor quality hip scotch game.

Sad, I had high hopes for this monitor but Viewsonic let me down this time. God SED can't come out soon enough....

wingnut77 said:
Hmm, good point. I use DVI, as I understood it was better and resulted in sharper colours. I was unaware that because of this you can't really edit anything in PerfectSuite...

No no, you're right, you want to be using DVI. It will result in a better image.

I'm not sure what PerfectSuite is, but yes, using DVI will make some of the more simple calibration options obsolete. i.e. geometery, etc...

I'm not sure what PerfectSuite is, but yes, using DVI will make some of the more simple calibration options obsolete. i.e. geometery, etc...

It's ViewSonic's software that apparently does nothing and greys out if you're on DVI mode. (The 'Adjust', 'Color', 'Wizard', 'File', and 'Plugins' tabs are all greyed out.) arrghh..

I'm currently trying on SRGB color setting but it's bight as hell and make blacks even less black...

wingnut77 said:
It's ViewSonic's software that apparently does nothing and greys out if you're on DVI mode.

lol.

I get my Samsung tonight. I'll let you know how it is. Maybe you could just trade in your Viewsonic for a 970P. =)

Ok, you guys owe me one. Heres the dreaded X bleedthrough this sucker is having. It only gets worse the warmer the LCD gets

xbleed3cr.jpg

I have the VP930b as well, but the backlight on mine only bleeds a little near the corners. It's barely detectable in dark games like F.E.A.R., Quake 4, etc. My brightness and contrast are both set at 60.

here's my VP930b: :(

4_IMG_0464.jpg

2_IMG_0460.jpg

I think this baby will likely be headed back... [sigh]... so much legwork done as to what monitor to get and this is what i end up with. doh :p

Wow. Both of those examples are horrible. It's almost like you have 4 little flashlights. I would never accept that from a high-end monitor.

Pardon my ignorance but how do I show an all black screen, I made a .bmp the same size as my screen but I dont know how to display it fullscreen, I want to check to see if my LCD is haveing any of the problems show in this thread.

You can do it easier, just preview a default Windows screensaver, or, better yet, download a program called Dead Pixel Buddy (easy to find on Google) and run the black color.
Let us know! Remeber to turn the lights off.
Can you also try to play a DVD and a dark game (say Doom 3) and tell us if u can spot any backlight?

I'm new to LCd's and am clueless but have the 930b. Isn't some bleedthorough inevitable on a LCD screen? I mean basically you have lights behind the LCD's shining through them . How much is acceptable?

Well, how much do u see? On Samsung 930b i noticed it right away on any darker screen, and it was very visible. That's not acceptable.

About like wingnut's 2nd picture. Interestingly, there is no longer any info on the VP930b on the Viewsonic site whnd logged into N. America.

Yeah, to me it would be unacceptable. I'm kinda picky, but then if you think about it, if I'm paying so much money, I don't expect annoyances like that. I experienced them 1st hand and they bug me. Even a dead pixel is better than this light stuff, cause it's not so obvious.
But when I'm playing a game or watching a DVD I don't want to see highligted spots.

I see 930b on VS's website. r u looking hard enough? ;)

Keep in mind, it seems that when taking pictures of LCD screens, the cameras shutter speed has the potential of exaggerating the backlight problem. That may or may not be how it actually looks in person.

Regardless, I'm not doubting that these Viewsonics have a bleedthrough issue.

PoweredBySoy said:
Keep in mind, it seems that when taking pictures of LCD screens, the cameras shutter speed has the potential of exaggerating the backlight problem. That may or may not be how it actually looks in person.

Regardless, I'm not doubting that these Viewsonics have a bleedthrough issue.

It does but it's minor. The VP191b also has it in the same areas.

I know when I first got my VP930b it seemed like it would be really annoying. But after using it for nearly 2 weeks it hasn't been a problem since it's only visible in the extreme upper corners during gaming. And then it just appears very faint since you're not getting a true black anyway. For DVDs it looks about the same.

Unless you need a LCD with ZERO backlight issues, the VP930b will not disappoint. It's excellent for gaming (no ghosting), DVDs, video editing and graphics. The color and contrast on this LCD are excellent.

Back