2405FPW has no support for HD

This is what it says:

"I received the following email from Andrew Chin at Dell in May 2005. It clearly states that the Dell 2405FPW is not a HD-Ready or HDTV LCD monitor and that the highest AV resolution via the component inputs is 480p.

Sent: Tuesday, 17 May 2005 11:57 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: 2405FPW Monitor availability - Quote No. AUSO946520

Hi Jeff, George,

The Dell 2405FPW is not a HD-Ready or HDTV LCD monitor.

Used with a desktop PC or notebook PC with the correct graphics card and drivers, will display up to a maximum of 1920 x 1200 pixels (WUXGA) resolution.

The built-in AV connectors allow for –

1) Composite Video input à connection with a VCR or any AV equipment with a composite video output

2) S-Video input à connection to a VCR, VCD or DVD player or any AV equipment with a S-Video output

3) Component Video input à connection to a DVD player or any AV equipment with component (Red, Green & Blue) video output

The highest AV resolution is via the Component Video input which supports up to 480i (i = interlaced) and 480i (p = progressive scan) i.e. SDTV standard

HD-Ready (i.e. monitor without HD Tuner/Receiver) and HDTV resolution starts from 720p and 1080i

Rgds,

Andrew"

and their moderator (who works at Dell and sells 2405fpw) confirms it:

"I've been talking with out tech support and no, it does not support HD."

Have anyone tried to get 1920x1080@30hz (1080I) through VGA? :confused:

Intelaced?!? (Ew) PC moniters only do progressive. There might be some way to convert the signal to 1080p, and have little bars, but I don't know.

No, there are LCD's that support both progressive scan and interlaced. The f2304:
"Next we run 720p HD video material into the LCD TV using a Sencore VP920 HD video player to gauge its ability to display fast-action and color-rich HDTV content. We use the player's VGA connector and run content into the panel under test at 480p, 720p, and 1080i"

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1601410,00.asp

The new Gateway even have HDCP support through DVI. Many of the new LCD's support interlaced mode. I wondered if you can also run HD through the 2405fpw's VGA? :)

The reason why the 2405FPW doesn't support HD resolutions is not due to any inadequacy in terms of hardware--it's due to the lack of HDCP support. HDCP support comes with the increasingly popular HDMI A/V interconnect which is derived from DVI, as well as HDCP-compliant DVI connections. There's no physical difference, but some low-level handshaking has to be done between the source and the display to ensure that copyrighted material is being adequately protected.

There are plenty of TVs that allow 720p and 1080i over component, how else would xbox and ps2 display HD signals? This is due to a limitation that Dell put into the monitor, there is no way to use HDCP over component (analogue) though, it's only used with DVI (digital) and HDMI (digital). Newer consumer electronics will stop allowing any resolutions greater then 480p through an analogue connection.

The reason why the 2405fpw doesn't support HD resolutions through component is a lack of hardware support. If you read the post here, you will also see that max resolution supported from components are 480i/480p.
HD resolutions are 720p and 1080i/p. To support HD resolutions, the components input needs to be able to receive and display either the 720p or the 1080i (preferably both). The 2405fpw is capped at 480i/p and probably downscales the signals and then upscales them when displaying. The 2405fpw has SD components input, not HD component inputs.
What I wondered, was its capabilities to show HD through VGA (720p,1080i) like with the gateway or the f2304.

HDCP is a copy protection that MPAA and other groups wants to implement to make it harder for people to copy their products. To say that HDCP is HD resolution, would be the same as to say that the sone on DVD is DVD... ;)

ND40oz said:
There are plenty of TVs that allow 720p and 1080i over component, how else would xbox and ps2 display HD signals? This is due to a limitation that Dell put into the monitor, there is no way to use HDCP over component (analogue) though, it's only used with DVI (digital) and HDMI (digital). Newer consumer electronics will stop allowing any resolutions greater then 480p through an analogue connection.

I agree! :)

I think that HDCP would be limited to movies and such though, since its pointless to use it on games and such. It would be harder to find a way to copy a game through video output then to break the HDCP copy protection IMO... :D

huh? I am using my 2405 over component off my Comcast HD pvr at 1080i. It's definitely in HD mode.

magnetik said:
huh? I am using my 2405 over component off my Comcast HD pvr at 1080i. It's definitely in HD mode.

And what do you base that upon? Since you say its DEFINITELY in HD mode?:)

When Dell themselves says its SD?

Ummagumma said:
And what do you base that upon? Since you say its DEFINITELY in HD mode?:)

When Dell themselves says its SD?

cause I set my output of my Comcast box to 1080i and by the way monday night football looks on it. :confused:

Don't forget that components doesn't have a 2 way communication, so if your box says 1080i, it doesn't mean that the display shows it as 1080i. :)

DVD's scaled looks good too, yes? :)

Ummagumma said:
Don't forget that components doesn't have a 2 way communication, so if your box says 1080i, it doesn't mean that the display shows it as 1080i. :)

DVD's scaled looks good too, yes? :)

well.. someone needs to tell my monitor that too. :)

PozX3wB.jpg

Last edited:
well my xbox via component says its running 1080i, and 720p

Once i turn either of those on Avalaunch dashboard looks INCREDIBLE.
turn them off or set 480p and it looks like ass

So yeah id say it does support HD via component

That it matters much. I could always get a DVI AV switcher and use that for future consoles.
1080p baby

I think that dell rep was mistaken.. or trying to push their reps to say that it doesn't support 1080i over component so they can sell their lcd tv's. I definitely can tell the difference between 480p and 1080i.

edit: I just set my comcast box to 480p and watched a video I had recorded on the PVR from INHD channel (IMAX: Antartica) and there is definitely a difference.

In my experience 1 in every 2000 tech support people actually know what they are talking about. Thats why if I have a problem... i come to Hardforum's baby!! :D

No, the Dell rep is a moderator at WGF and I don't think he would have any motives to bring out false information. The picture you showed, clearly states 1080I... :confused:
I was about to post myself there, but saw you have already posted... Look forward to see the response! :D

Still, I don't feel totally convinced even by that picture. It costs extra to put in HD components and Dell have never officially supported HD. :confused:

Krazy_Joe said:
In my experience 1 in every 2000 tech support people actually know what they are talking about. Thats why if I have a problem... i come to Hardforum's baby!! :D

I am happy I posted this on Hardforum! :D

Ummagumma said:
No, the Dell rep is a moderator at WGF and I don't think he would have any motives to bring out false information. The picture you showed, clearly states 1080I... :confused:
I was about to post myself there, but saw you have already posted... Look forward to see the response! :D

Still, I don't feel totally convinced even by that picture. It costs extra to put in HD components and Dell have never officially supported HD. :confused:

I would like to hear what they say also!!! I never heard of this.. but it's good to know. Will keep my eyes open to see what comes of it..

X-ander said:
Soi the dell 2005 doesnt support hdtv neither??

The 2005 doesn't have component video inputs.. you would have to use a transcoder over the vga connection. You will be able to get it on the xbox360 since it has vga outs.

Please do. :) Its interesting to see what comes of this... ;)
The main thing is always to get information correct and this is such case. Considering all the conflicing information about the 2405fpw's HD support, this is a good oportunity for "fact finding".

Ummagumma said:
Please do. :) Its interesting to see what comes of this... ;)
The main thing is always to get information correct and this is such case. Considering all the conflicing information about the 2405fpw's HD support, this is a good oportunity for "fact finding".

have you seen this thread? http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=973982&page=2 someone already has a Xbox360 and is using it over component on the 2405. I sent him a request to check the information on his 2405 and see what it's connected at... we shall see.

i'm sure mag can easily tell the difference between 1080 and 480, so i wouldn't question his eyes. he even said it himself that he switched to 480 and looked at the difference. so we can pretty much confirm that he IS watching hd cable through his component inputs on his 2405fpw.

magnetik said:
have you seen this thread? http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=973982&page=2 someone already has a Xbox360 and is using it over component on the 2405. I sent him a request to check the information on his 2405 and see what it's connected at... we shall see.

They look like nice pictures. :)

But, its very hard to tell from those pictures. If you download this picture:
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1141/1116953073.jpg and upscale it to 1080 (1920x1080) (from 740x416) and blow it up to full screen on your computer. Then you download this picture: http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1141/full-res/1116953073.jpg and upscale it to 1080 (from 1280x720) and run it fullscreen. Both images looks sharper then the ones taken with a camera (if you look from the same distance) and displayed in that thread, though the first one is foggy compared to the second. Maybe the difference can be explained by the camera used to take the pictures? :)

actually, if that picture is taken off an lcd, then it definitely isn't 480p. 480p will look ALOT worese on an lcd.

someones throwing out bad info. I've ran every resolution possible through this monitor and I can tell you that it really is 720p that's being displayed on the monitor over component. 480p is completely different than 720p on the monitor (Actually 480p is deformed, it's not even the correct aspect ratio!) However 720p is the correct aspect ratio and shows up fine on the monitor. The OSB says 720p and the display is much more crisp than 480p. Dell might be dumping out bad info to get people to buy the 3007FPW instead of the 2405fpws.

These pics look great! I have a vp201s (viewsonic) that has a native resolution of 1600x1200. The specs indicate that it is hdtv ready (480p and 720p). It has both a DVI and VGA input. Does anyone know if i will be able to hook up the 360 and have 720p scale well for a 1600x1200 display ...or will black bars show up on the screen?

S.O.

You could put a HDTV receiver card in your PC and display HDTV directly to your monitor without needing a component input. Cards with software decoders output the HDTV video from the graphics cards. Avoid hardware decoder cards that output video directly through onboard connectors.

I use a FusionHDTV card from www.digitalconnection.com They cost from $99 to $149

So.. since the xbox360 has been released... has anyone ran their own personal blind tests in regards to the 2405FPW and HD over the component video connections? comparing 480p vs upscaled 720p (1080i) ?

I'm having the same issue. I get an HD signal over DVI (looks great) but not over component. Looks like it downcoverts the HD signal when connected via component. Not sure why people are saying the monitor doesn't support HD at all since it definately displays an HD signal over DVI.

sanvara said:
I'm having the same issue. I get an HD signal over DVI (looks great) but not over component. Looks like it downcoverts the HD signal when connected via component. Not sure why people are saying the monitor doesn't support HD at all since it definately displays an HD signal over DVI.

when you say HD over DVI.. are you talking about going from something like a hd cablebox or just from your PC? What are you using to view HD over component? We are trying to determine if the 2405 can input a true 1080i signal over component. There have been conflicting reports that the maximum the 2405 can support over component is 480p. A test would be to switch the XBox360 to 480p and then to 1080i and see if there is a difference. According to pictures posted.. there "is" a difference.. but sometimes it's hard to determine with a picture of a lcd screen.

Back