ASUS A8N-SLI Premium/Deluxe - Problems/BSOD's

I was wondering how many people have had constant trouble with this board and if anyone runs 100% stable. I would like to know as many components and settings that actually work for this board.

I would also like to warn people that if you are thinking about buying this unit beware it can be very, very tough to get this thing to run properly.

Besides not having as many OCing options, when compared to a DFI SLI-DR, this board has been 100% stable. Here is what I have used:

AMD 4000+ (stock and up to 250FSB)
Crucial Ballistix 2 * 1Gb (default SPD timings - 3-4-4-8, 2.6v)
Mushkin PC4400 2 * 512 (default SPD timings - 3-4-4-8, 2.8v)
BFG 7800 GTX OC - Stock and at 490/1350

What problems are you encountering?

Have done two builds (one for myself, one for my sister) and both are very stable. No problems at all. The ASUS mobo picked up all components (except in Build 1, where I hade 2 x IDE drives and it only picked up the master, not the slave. But when I changed the jumpers around, so the slave became the master, it worked perfectly. Not sure why. Also, build 1 only shows 3.8Gb RAM, but not worried about that).

Build 1:
ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe
AMD 4600+ dual core
2 x Kingston DDR-400 2Gb (KVR400X64C3AK2) = 4Gb
Enermax 600W PSU (701AX)
Connect ATI Radeon X850XT PE
1 x Seagate ST3160023A 160Gb IDE HDD
1 x Samsung SP1614N 160Gb IDE HDD
Win XP-64

Build 2:
ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe
AMD 3800+
Kingston DDR-400 2Gb (KVR400X64C3AK2)
Enermax 600W PSU (701AX)
Sparkle SP-PX43GPT GeForce 6600GT
1 x Seagate ST3120022A 120Gb IDE HDD
Win XP-Pro 32-Bit

Temperatures are good and the mobo seems very stable, with no problems (haven't overclocked though). Am about to add a couple of SATA to Build 1, so will be interesting to see how the mixed HDD goes.

Dr.CrackEnHore said:
I was wondering how many people have had constant trouble with this board and if anyone runs 100% stable. I would like to know as many components and settings that actually work for this board.

I would also like to warn people that if you are thinking about buying this unit beware it can be very, very tough to get this thing to run properly.

I'm havin' hell over here with this board :mad: I can only get it to post occasionally and when it does I have random freezing once I get into Windows.

I've noticed only the following: The system is stable as long as there are no video card drivers installed, the minute these are installed (nvidia 81.85) , expect random freezing requiring within 10-15 minutes.

I am at my wit's end with this one , if anyone's out there who can help , please do.

P.S. Dr.CrackEnHore sorry for hijacking your thread.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

caspanis, need more info to help diagnose your problem. I have a very early A8N deluxe, it's really stable until the chipset fan quit. I've got one coming from ASUS gratis, but since my cpu is watercooled, I keep thinking about that dangerden maze4 chipset cooler.oh my settings/equipment.

Asus A8N-sli deluxe
EVGA 6800GT video card
Corsair Twinx 1024 3200XLPro memory, running at 2.5-4-4-7 at 267 1:1@2T (only problem I have with this board, 1T maxes out around 233-235 mhz)
3000+ winnie, dangerden TDX watercooled at 1.55 vcore
1x 120 gb Seagate IDE 7200rpm HD
1x Pioneer DVR-108 dvd burner
1x criticool powerplant 2 waterpump switch card
Antec TP550 EPS (native 24pin connector) PSU

I run 10.15 bios, 6.67 integrated chipset drivers and 81.85 whql video drivers.

Ronbo said:
caspanis, need more info to help diagnose your problem. I have a very early A8N deluxe, it's really stable until the chipset fan quit. I've got one coming from ASUS gratis, but since my cpu is watercooled, I keep thinking about that dangerden maze4 chipset cooler.oh my settings/equipment.

Asus A8N-sli deluxe
EVGA 6800GT video card
Corsair Twinx 1024 3200XLPro memory, running at 2.5-4-4-7 at 267 1:1@2T (only problem I have with this board, 1T maxes out around 233-235 mhz)
3000+ winnie, dangerden TDX watercooled at 1.55 vcore
1x 120 gb Seagate IDE 7200rpm HD
1x Pioneer DVR-108 dvd burner
1x criticool powerplant 2 waterpump switch card
Antec TP550 EPS (native 24pin connector) PSU

I run 10.15 bios, 6.67 integrated chipset drivers and 81.85 whql video drivers.

I'll try to duplicate what you have posted:

1) I'm running the 1009 bios , 6.70 integrated chipset drivers and 81.85 whql drivers
2) Memory is now set to run at 200Mhz with vdimm=2.8v

If you need other details please ask.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

I need to know about your PSU, I have a sneaking suspicion you don't have enough amps on the 12volt rail to power your video card when the drivers enable it.

I see your problem, update the bios to 10.13 at least, I had hella problems with chipset drivers above 6.5 and bios below 10.11 or 10.12, not sure which, it was a beta bios. Crap you got a premium, the numbers are probably different.

Ronbo said:
I need to know about your PSU, I have a sneaking suspicion you don't have enough amps on the 12volt rail to power your video card when the drivers enable it.

Ronbo,

1) I have the Seasonic S12-500 500W power supply :
http://www.seasonicusa.com/products.php?lineId=9

2) Is there such a bios for the A8N-SLI premium ? I've seen this for the A8N-SLI deluxe and higher , I think they are up to 1015 by now but 1009 is the highest listed for the A8N-SLI premium.

Thanks for the help thus far :)

P.S. I am using a Leadtek GeForce 6600GT video card.

Cheers,
Caspanis

I too am having problems with this board. It took me 3 hours to get it to flash the BIOS last night and it won't load windows. I get a "Boot Disk Failure. Insert System Disk Then Press Enter." error.

It's driving me insnae and I don't know what to do now.

Moose777 said:
I too am having problems with this board. It took me 3 hours to get it to flash the BIOS last night and it won't load windows. I get a "Boot Disk Failure. Insert System Disk Then Press Enter." error.

Moose777,

Welcome to the club buddy. :(
I am still trying to get this sucker working. I know its not the memory as I tried the sticks (Crucial Ballistix DDR500) in another mobo with an NF3 chipset and it detected it and booted no problem with no hiccups. Also ran memtest on them for about 15 minutes. I will do a more comprehensive 8-24 hour test on them later , but for now 1 possible cause eliminated.

What setup are you running with this board (hardware component details) ?

caspanis said:
Moose777,

Welcome to the club buddy. :(
I am still trying to get this sucker working. I know its not the memory as I tried the sticks (Crucial Ballistix DDR500) in another mobo with an NF3 chipset and it detected it and booted no problem with no hiccups. Also ran memtest on them for about 15 minutes. I will do a more comprehensive 8-24 hour test on them later , but for now 1 possible cause eliminated.

What setup are you running with this board (hardware component details) ?

1Gig Corsair Valueselext Memory (approved in the manual)

eVGA 7800GTX (not even loaded as I can't get into windows)

SB Audigy 2 Plat Pro (again, not being used cause I can't get into windows)

It took me 3 hours to get teh AWDFlash program to function properly from DOS, I finally got the most recent BIOS to flash then when the computer rebooted I expected it to load windows (I ran an A8V Deluxe up until 3 days ago when I decided to change over to SLi so I didn't bother uninstalling anything cause I thought I could just swap MoBos out update the BIOS and fire it up.) But instead I get this "boot Disk" error.

I don't know if I need to install new RAID drivers or what, the manual doesn't exactly tell you whether or not you do and it doesn't tell you which ones you'd need anyway even if it did.

It's aggrevating me because I want to get back to playing FEAR. And I don't want to reinstall Windows because theres already a version installed ont he computer and I see no reason to reinstall it.

setup is in the sig. i've had the board rma'd once. sli was unstable on the first, and then DVI output stopped altogether, while the card worked fine on another box. the first chipset fan died, and the system would bluescreen.

after RMA, board worked fairly well, but still had some stability issues leading up to a blown voltage regulator. now the secondary ethernet (non-nvidia) and one row of USB connectors no longer work. All in all, I'm not very fond of this board.

Wow Ive got two A8N-SLI deluxe boards running flawlessly. One is in my sig.
The other is an FX-53,corsairXMS 1GB,7800GTX(BFG)Audigy2. Both run 1011 bios and 6.65 N4 drivers. I did have some problems with the nVidia firewall/active armor thing so I left it out altogether....It seemed to freeze the windows at random.
I started from scratch with each board, clean installs and reformatted HDs. Neither has caused me any problems. Both are powered by PC P&C 510s. :D

Moose777 said:

when you flash the BIOS all the default settings should be reloaded. Meaning that the hard drive boot order is disruppted. I can almost guarentee that if you go into the BIOS you will see that the BOOT order is messed up and you should be good to go from there. There is no reason why a BIOS flash should corrupt your OS install on a HD that worked previously

Caspanis said:
I'm havin' hell over here with this board I can only get it to post occasionally and when it does I have random freezing once I get into Windows.

I've noticed only the following: The system is stable as long as there are no video card drivers installed, the minute these are installed (nvidia 81.85) , expect random freezing requiring within 10-15 minutes.

I am at my wit's end with this one , if anyone's out there who can help , please do.

P.S. Dr.CrackEnHore sorry for hijacking your thread.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

I would tend to agree with one of the other posters in saying your PSU might not be putting out enough juice

Is anyone else lost in the web of 3 different people posting A8N problems in this thread, i cant keep track of what problem is whos :p

I have the A8N-SLI Deluxe and for the most part it's pretty stable. It has BSOD'ed on me a few times though during Battlefield 2. It's not really consistent though... not sure what's causing it. Gonna load some new drivers tonight and see if it helps.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 1005 BIOS
X2 4400+ @ 2.6GHz
2 x 1GB Crucial Value
BFG 7800 GT
PCP&C 510W

100% stable for about 2-3 months

All,

RHollister said:
I would tend to agree with one of the other posters in saying your PSU might not be putting out enough juice
Are you serious :eek: I am using a seasonic S12-500 , I would have thought that that would be more than enough. Quite surprising this opinion. But , I have to get a new PS anyway so what do you think of a OCZ powerstream 520 for the rig in my sig ( that rhymes :D) ??

RHollister said:
Is anyone else lost in the web of 3 different people posting A8N problems in this thread, i cant keep track of what problem is whos :p
Yep its a crazy A8N world out here :(

caspanis said:
All,

Are you serious :eek: I am using a seasonic S12-500 , I would have thought that that would be more than enough. Quite surprising this opinion. But , I have to get a new PS anyway so what do you think of a OCZ powerstream 520 for the rig in my sig ( that rhymes :D) ??

Ok the seasonic should be enough PSU. and I have a deluxe, so the bios revisions are higher for my board than yours. If that were my board, I'd find a fresh hard drive and do a fresh install, or if you don't want to do that, how about running memtest for 24 plus hours? Let us know.

caspanis said:
All,

i didnt know what PSU u had, i agree that should be fine, granted it is putting out what it should. What happened to Dr.CrackEnHore i think that was what my original the PSU is insufficiant comment was directed towards

mine A8N DELUXE disappionted me, first time build, bule screen after updated chipset driver for offical site every times windows starts up, it doesn't detect my sony floppy drive for some reason ( my old hp computer did it ) so i take out my hp computer's floppy and used fine. i created a RAID driver disk using the driver disk for both sil image and nvraid, and load F6 in windows disk to set up RAID, but fail in some how ( tried like 10+ times and it tolk half an hour to create a RAID driver disk. My new copperhead mouse dont work on my new rig ( again, my old hp computer did it ) Radom restart w/o warning and stuff, some times dont even detect any of my hard drive after a restart and I have to open the case unplug and replug the power cable of all my dirve and it MAGIClly work. then got a error message in black screen ( called DOS it think ) and never boots up again until I reinstalled my windows Planning to RMA it. It makes me dont wants to build computers any more :eek:

ASUS, please build a better board before selling to ppl :mad:

RHollister said:
when you flash the BIOS all the default settings should be reloaded. Meaning that the hard drive boot order is disruppted. I can almost guarentee that if you go into the BIOS you will see that the BOOT order is messed up and you should be good to go from there. There is no reason why a BIOS flash should corrupt your OS install on a HD that worked previously
Ok, I changed the boot sequence to my second SATA drive and it now boots into Windows however I'm now getting the BSOD and it flashes too fast to read it so I don't know what the error is.

Any suggestions?

*edit*

I tried booting into Safe Mode and it still crashes. Anybody got a fix for this? It's kind of stuck in a loop now and just reboots constantly. Not to mention my power LED doesn't work, none of my fans save for the HSF and Case fans work but spin slowly and the fan controller no longer works either. I'm beginning to think that this whole SLi swap was a big ass mistake. I'm having more retarded issues with it than I did setting up SATA for the first time.

RHollister said:
Hehe, I started my own thread with my issues but no one responded so I started posting in this one hoping to get some help. :)

Now if I can just get my issues figured out I'd be golden.

Well I got to cocky and now am in trouble again. I was stable going on three days of trying my best to screw with this system. Then I seen there was new nvidia drivers, installed them. BSOD's again. This time I can still game and do pretty much whatever but sometimes when on the net or if I click around through a bunch of folders I can still make it lock up. I am still going to try another clean install and go from there. If anyone lives near me they may want to keep an eye on my front lawn and see if I through this whole comp goes out the window. It probably isn't worth picking up though.

I've seen countless threads on powersupplies that coincide with the BSODs.

I just recently bought the Antec Truepower 2.0 550w could this be my problem?

I'm going to call Asus tomorrow and see what they say about it. I may end up sending the A8N Premium back to Newegg and getting something a little more user friendly because this is rediculous.

That is why I started this thread I want to figure out what the exact problem of this is, I have the exact same psu as you but I have the true control option which doesn't really matter.

And I'm having the same exact problem as you. I'm going to try and do a fresh install of Windows tomorrow and see what happens.

I think I'm going to use the Nvidia Raid drivers although I've made driver disks for both Nvidia and SiL.

All I know is that I'm getting overly frustrated with this. I switched over to SLi because it seems all the games are going that direction. There was nothing wrong with my A8V Deluxe or the 6800GT I had.

It seems that as many boards I look at with all the people having this same issue that there is no real fix for it that I've seen. Some people the A8N Deluxe/Premium works great for others it's flakey where they get good use some days and others it's BSODs every 5 minutes while others like you and I where it's a BSOD directly after install of the MoBo.

Asus seriously needs to get off their ass and rectify this situation.

*EDIT*
I've also read that the Asus A8N Premium does not like XP 32. Is there a way to trade in Win XP32 Home for XP64?

Seriously,

I wish there was something that could tell me definitively what the problem is. I'll be doing the full memtest on the memory to make sure they are good . I have to do this on another system though (A nf3 250GB giga-byte board !) .

That being said, I have run this setup through two (2) instances ( one for each core) of Prime95 for a whole 9 hours. This happened on one of the lucky moments when the system posted lol.

Will continue to give feedback for what its worth.

Moose777 said:
Asus seriously needs to get off their ass and rectify this situation.

I definitely agree with this view.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

I got on the phone with my brother who does this shit for a living and he said I have to repair windows with the new RAID drivers. So I do that and then lose some sort of boot executable and the system doesn't even boot now.

So now I'm in the middle of reinstalling Winblows completely at 10pm...this is fuckin' great. And all this because I wanted to play FEAR, Q4, CoD2 in super glorious looking mode.

Oh, and yeah, there is no guarantee that this is even going to friggin' work either.

Well, I reinstalled Windows with teh Nvidia RAID drivers and guess what?

I'm still getting the BSOD....so now I'm really pissed off because not only was I getting the BSOD before I reinstalled Winblows but at least if I put the A8V back in I'd still have all my games and all I'd need to do is get a video card but now, since I reinstalled it I've lost all my games, programs and everything else I installed on it and it still doesn't work.

I hope someone figures out a fix for this. Because I'm at a complete and total loss now.

Moose777 said:

I'm still getting the BSOD....so now I'm really pissed off because not only was I getting the BSOD before I reinstalled Winblows but at least if I put the A8V back in I'd still have all my games and all I'd need to do is get a video card but now, since I reinstalled it I've lost all my games, programs and everything else I installed on it and it still doesn't work.

I hope someone figures out a fix for this. Because I'm at a complete and total loss now.
what do you need the RAID drivers for? RAID0?

Dr.CrackEnHore said:

Brother!

I know what you mean when you say this biatch is unstable. I've had to wait about 3 weeks
in order for us mofos (my buddy and I) to actually nail down what the problem was. I had
Quack4 and BF2, HL2, and others crash on me - either system freese or just crash to a desktop
without any errors.

Turns out that the voltage on these mofos of a mobo needs to be cranked especially if you
have, like in my case, 4gigs of RAM. 2nd, with that much RAM in there, you have to drop
some timings believe it or not. And ever since I did that, dropped them hoes to about
CL2.5 EVERYTHING HAS BEEN STABLE. This rig has not crashed ever since. I've done
repeated tests of Prime95 and others and it inhaled anything you threw in its face!

Try to see if that will fix your problem. That and pay these folks a visit:
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

P.S. If you read the manual, the A8N-SLI Prem does not have OCZ RAM listed as an official
product that is supported. Weird. So that could explain why it's not running stable, etc.

Moose777 said:

Moose777,

At what exact point of installing did you start getting the BSOD ?
The expected sequence of things to do is :

1 Windows XP (Use F6 to load Nvidia RAID drivers)
2. Windows XP SP2
3 Nvidia Chipset drivers
4 Nvidia/Ati video card drivers
5 Other hardware components video card drivers
6 Everything else

On my install , I slipstreamed SP2 and the nvidia chipset drivers into a windows XP CD so no need for F6. I was able therefore after step 3 to do Prime95 for 8-9 hours on the system . After step 4 forget it.

Caspanis

Has anyone had a problem where the computer will load up into windows but would not let you get into the bios settings screen? I tried to switch to an A8N deluxe without reformatting and ran into some problems with the marvel LAN. The computer crashed as I tried to install the marvel drivers and after that I couldn't get into the bios to change the settings.

So far I've cleared the CMOS three times, reflashed the bios with the EZflash utility, reflashed the BIOS in dos, switched the ram sticks out with a known good stick, reformatted with a fresh windows install, installed the ram in different slots, and tried to boot up with just the cpu, a ram stick and the vid card. Nothing works. Everytime I try to get into the bios to change the settings, it just shows me a blank screen. Is the board dead?

I just built a new rig last week with a Asus A8N-SLI Premium. It was my first completely "custom" build in at least six years. Whether it was luck or whatever I had no real problems with installtion and getting it up and running right away.

I did run into some system instability when I started doing overclocking though, which is often natural. Did the normal BIOS tweaking cleared it right up. Turns out (most, probably all of) it was the memory that was causing the issues and setting the RDRAM voltage to 3v seemed to do the trick. Here are the specs...

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD A64 3800+ X2
Zalman CNPS9500 HSF
1GB (2x512) OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 (3200)
XFX GeForce 6600GT
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 250GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 PATA 250GB
NEC ND-3540A DVD-RW Drive
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Case
Antec SP-500 PSU

FSB= 222Mhz (1:1)
CPU Multi = x10
Memory @ DDR444 2-2-2-5

Bios: 1009
6.65 N4 drivers

[CoF] ATOMIC said:
Brother!

I know what you mean when you say this biatch is unstable. I've had to wait about 3 weeks
in order for us mofos (my buddy and I) to actually nail down what the problem was. I had
Quack4 and BF2, HL2, and others crash on me - either system freese or just crash to a desktop
without any errors.

Turns out that the voltage on these mofos of a mobo needs to be cranked especially if you
have, like in my case, 4gigs of RAM. 2nd, with that much RAM in there, you have to drop
some timings believe it or not. And ever since I did that, dropped them hoes to about
CL2.5 EVERYTHING HAS BEEN STABLE. This rig has not crashed ever since. I've done
repeated tests of Prime95 and others and it inhaled anything you threw in its face!

Try to see if that will fix your problem. That and pay these folks a visit:
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

P.S. If you read the manual, the A8N-SLI Prem does not have OCZ RAM listed as an official
product that is supported. Weird. So that could explain why it's not running stable, etc.

All,

I just ran my memory (2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 ) through 81/2 hours of memtest 3.2 . well now I know its not the memory and I know its not the other components 'cause I have them all running happily on an intel 925XCV system !

The big question now is: WTF is wrong with this mobo ??!!

[Cof] ATOMIC,

In your post you said these mobo need to get high voltages to get them stable, could you post the relevant voltage settings for System/CPU/RAM from your system.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

People getting BSOD i would suggest pulling out only the required hardware. Video card memory CPU see if you still get it. SEcondly I would go into the BIOS and disable all onboard stuff see if maybe you are getting some conflicts. Thirdly what is the timings on your memory? if you set the timings to tight windows will either blue screen or just reboot. If you have cheaper value ram you need to loosen those to 2.5 Cas and maybe 2T. Dont get frustrated, its just a matter of trial and error, try something to see if it stops the errors if it does then you can work from there. I have built two completely stable machines around this board, the reviews out there are very flattering for this board. Dont give up hope, once you get it to work it will be worth it. Is anyone overclocking here? RAID can be a tricky beast to get going try not using the RAID array. Get a different HD install windows if it works fine then you know its the RAID. There are the things that I do when I am troubleshooting a computer. Dont be to affraid to mess around with things, there isnt a whole lot that will hurt it and even less that will hurt you.

Back