A different aproach to Sli tubing runs...

plywood99

[H]ard|Gawd
The uber tight tubing bends people were using to cool sli'd gpu's looked like a flow killer to me, so I figured I would try something different.

First I thought about using fittings and running the loop in series cpu - gpu - gpu. But that too would be a very restrictive loop. Instead of tight bends in tubing, I had tight bends in fittings. Not good.

So what about running the gpu blocks in parallel? It would halve gpu block restriction and probably compensate quite a bit for the tight bends in fittings. Figured I'd give it a go.

Drove to Lowe's and picked up two 1/2inch T fittings and two 1/2inch 90 elbows.

This is how I plumbed it for parallel gpu cooling. Notice how each gpu is connected.
SliPic1.jpg

Here is a close up of the gpu connections.
SliCloseUp.jpg

Finally, an overall pic of tubing run.
OverallPic.jpg

Results have been excellent. Running tubing to the gpu's in parallel has resulted in a less restrictive system setup. Less restriction means more flow. More flow means better cooling performance.

Temperatures are nice too. My heat monger Opteron 148 at 3003mhz and 1.61v loads at 49c with my custom built cpu block. The XFX 7800gt's with Danger Den Maze 4 sli blocks load at 42c and 43c respectively. Not too shabby at all. By the way, 939 opty's produce a LOT of heat. Don't know what makes them different from Sandiego's, but they do indeed run hotter.

Overall I have to give this project an A+. System looks much cleaner with the fittings, and water cooled gpu's are so much quieter that the stock fans on these cards.

looks nice ;)

but is it me, or do the ends of your vid cards hang down?? I had a card that did that once and all I did to provide a little more support for it was to get a small dowel rod and cut a couple notches in it, put a little rubber foot on the bottom, paint it to match the case, and install. worked great...and cost all of about $.15 :p

nst6563 said:
looks nice ;)

but is it me, or do the ends of your vid cards hang down?? I had a card that did that once and all I did to provide a little more support for it was to get a small dowel rod and cut a couple notches in it, put a little rubber foot on the bottom, paint it to match the case, and install. worked great...and cost all of about $.15 :p

Yes they do hang down a touch. The dowel sound like a good idea, thanks...

939 opty's dont run any hotter than san diego's....for one simple reason....they ARE san diegos. They are the exact same core, just tested a bit stronger, with a different IHS and relabled as opteron processors.

Other than that looks nice, those cards hanging down would scare me though.

Erasmus354 said:
939 opty's dont run any hotter than san diego's....for one simple reason....they ARE san diegos. They are the exact same core, just tested a bit stronger, with a different IHS and relabled as opteron processors.

Other than that looks nice, those cards hanging down would scare me though.

What do you mean different IHS? Technically they are Venus core, but yes rebranded Sandy's they are.

General consensus is the Opty's do run hotter. I am talking about clocked too, not stock. Check the Extreme Systems forums. Quite a bit a discussion going on about it. Heat does not seem to be as big an issue with them as with standard A64's...

it looks nice but your not gonna get any new cool water over the video card cores

water takes the path of least resistance so its not gonna flow thru your blocks its only gonna go strait thru the tubing instead of into the blocks where it will cool the gpu

.xXLucidXx. said:
it looks nice but your not gonna get any new cool water over the video card cores

water takes the path of least resistance so its not gonna flow thru your blocks its only gonna go strait thru the tubing instead of into the blocks where it will cool the gpu

You lost me...

disregard my previous post
my bad, ive been hitting the books a little hard tonight :S physics is killing me

plywood99 said:
What do you mean different IHS? Technically they are Venus core, but yes rebranded Sandy's they are.

General consensus is the Opty's do run hotter. I am talking about clocked too, not stock. Check the Extreme Systems forums. Quite a bit a discussion going on about it. Heat does not seem to be as big an issue with them as with standard A64's...

The opterons have a different (and better) integrated heat spreader...that is the only thing that differentiates them from a standard San Diego core. Oh and they are San Diego not Venice, Venice is 512K L2 cache, Sandy is 1MB...just like the opty's.

Of course it will be hotter when you clock it high, overclocking anything will make it hotter. I am simply stating that it *IS* a regular A64 just renamed basically, so saying it runs hotter isn't true.

nice mod, doesnt the dangerden make gpu blocks just like that, cept they are way to expensive imo?

Erasmus354 said:
The opterons have a different (and better) integrated heat spreader...that is the only thing that differentiates them from a standard San Diego core. Oh and they are San Diego not Venice, Venice is 512K L2 cache, Sandy is 1MB...just like the opty's.

Of course it will be hotter when you clock it high, overclocking anything will make it hotter. I am simply stating that it *IS* a regular A64 just renamed basically, so saying it runs hotter isn't true.

Notice I said Venus not Venice.

Here is a pic:

Venus.jpg

They do run hotter. Several people on Extreme Systems are saying the same thing. Why it is, I have no clue.

that set-up has been done many times before.... although I must admit it is the the first time I have seen a DD and larger bore tubing setup like that.

hmm im coming back to this. cuz im about ot have to do the same thing. right quick tho: how comes you didnt use hte dangerden back plates on yer cards?

oh and yea my opterown runs SUPERhot. its jsut how these cabne's in particular run. im wondering how the cpu in the loop reacted to the new gfx setup cuz if its all good i may do the same thing myself.

Both of my 148 CABNE's run hotter than my SD 4000 ever did. IHS removal helped alot though.

it looks very nice, but how are you sure your top gpu is getting good flow? it looks like you have an open loop for your gpu block intakes and outputs... so with the T connector, most of the flow is going to go straight down to the lower gpu, is it not? Just curious. Anyways, if your numnbers are good then it must be working, but I think your top card is not getting equal flow to the bottom one.. just my guess. I am thinking about using Y connectors for my loop when I re-do it this weekend for new GTXs.. :)

Erasmus354 said:
disregarding the water for a bit here...

some of the opterons run hot, not because of what core it is, but the stepping, especially CABNE. it has a lot of "fast" transistors that run really hot, because it was originally a stepping that went into FX's, so they needed good yeilds ;)

I could be really wrong here, but I think the return flow going by the T "intersection" for the top gpu is actually sucking the coolant out, creating flow for it... which is some sort of venturi action liquid flow law... I believe.. the coolant rushing by the T lowers pressure in the top gpu and pulls the coolant out... there-by creating flow for it...

EDIT: I think this might fall into the bernoulli equation area... or variant there of. hrm... it's been about 10 years since I have thought about this... been googling lol.

Did you have your GPU's plummed differently before this?

What are your current idle and full load (use at least 1600x1200 in a modern title, w/out Vsync) on the cards and approximate ambient temp?

Okay Guys,answers to flow questions and temps.

1) Does top gpu get good flow and temps?
Yes it does. Top gpu runs 1c cooler than the bottom gpu. I'm chalking this up to variance in thermisters.
Ambient room temp 21c. gpu 1 idle 34c, gpu 2 idle 35c, cpu idle 35.5c.
During full load cpu and gpu: gpu 1- 42c, gpu 2- 43c, cpu 49c. That is under extreme loads. During gaming with Farcry, Guild Wars, Fear, temps did not go above 38 and 39 respectively.

2) Are temps better in parralel than in series?
No difference that I can measure. However flow has increased a decent amount. Running parallel basically halves gpu block restriction. This results in more flow to the cpu, and gpu flow is, I'm guessing here, slightly less.

3)Why no backplates?
Danger Den didn't send me the stinking things!!! :mad:
Waiting on DD to ship them to me!

As I mentioned in my first post, plumbing the system in this way has been a total success. Looks far more appealing, less cumbersome, excellent results.

Right on dude... the proof is in the puttin! :) although I thought maze4's were very non restrictive? Mine sure seem to be so.. I have mine in series and the coolant really moves along. but regardless, running in parallel does 1/2 any restriction they would have... it's a nice looking setup.. but I would get something to support your cards... eventually. :)

revenant said:
Right on dude... the proof is in the puttin! :) although I thought maze4's were very non restrictive? Mine sure seem to be so.. I have mine in series and the coolant really moves along. but regardless, running in parallel does 1/2 any restriction they would have... it's a nice looking setup.. but I would get something to support your cards... eventually. :)

Waiting on the backplates to come in. The lean is caused from block mounts warping card.
Yes Maze 4 is quite a loose flowing block. Even more loose now. :D

Sweet...I am about to put two GTXs on water here myself... but I am going to go series, BUT, I am going to hit the GPUs first... I hear the GTXs run a little cooler than the 6800s did... and by the looks of your numbers, they do. :)

revenant said:
Sweet...I am about to put two GTXs on water here myself... but I am going to go series, BUT, I am going to hit the GPUs first... I hear the GTXs run a little cooler than the 6800s did... and by the looks of your numbers, they do. :)

Yeah, Nvidia pulled out all the stops on the 7800 series. Faster and cooler! You gotta love that...

GAH! choices choices! i might need the added cooling benefit of doing it this way but i also thing ima love the look of doin it in series! ARRGHGHHHEGHEHGKLEHTNGLRKHKLNMg :( :confused: :confused:

Back