My Samsung 970P impressions.

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
First, let me just get this out of the way: there is virtually no backlight around the edges!! This makes me unbelieveably happy, as this is the reason I bought this monitor in the first place. I'm replacing a Sony SDM-HS94P, which, in my opinion, had very inconsistant lighting and colors.

Here is a picture of the screen in the dark:

Desk008.jpg

As you can see, it's almost impossible to define where the screen stops and where the bezel starts, it's that dark. Due to the cameras shutter speed, you can kind of make out backlight in the lower two corners. But this isn't noticable in person. I couldn't have asked for better results.

So the first thing I do is install the Magictune calibration software and play around with it a bit. Unfortunately, this software is the only way you can change the monitors settings, which is a royal pain in the ass. Especially when you want to calibrate while in game. It's also a confusing piece of software to use all around, so I have some more learning and tweaking to do yet.

Second thing I do is fire up Doom 3. Right away I can tell that the colors aren't as vivid as they were on my Sony monitor. That Sony monitor has what they call XBRITE technology (which is basically a reflective piece of "glass" over the screen), and what it does is really make the colors stand out. And quite frankly, it works. So now this Samsung seems a little "flat". Again, this may be corrected with some more calibration.

But, what is obviously clear is that this Samsung panel is in a whole new level in terms of quality. The colors seem amazingly more accurate, and the blacks on this thing basically look like parts of my monitor are turned off. It makes for some amazing contrasts, right up to the edge. :) These are most likely benefits of having no backlight bleed through, as well as being an 8-bit PVA panel. There is also very little evidence of the 'screendoor' effect as well, which, as I can see now, was pretty bad on my Sony. It just gives the appearance of a cleaner picture throughout.

Using this test, I see no visible ghosting.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting2.html

What I do see though are very short, white trails coming out of the corners of the box as it moves quickly. Looks something like a graphical anomoly more than anything. When the "PRAD" flies off the screen, there is no ghosting. And of course, I notice no ghosting in Doom3 or Call of Duty either.

As with all new monitors, especially LCD's, I'm still going through that adjustment phase and getting used to it. But as of now, I'm extremely happy with this monitor.

Desk006.jpg

Thats awesome. I got my Samsung 915N because I just needed something good for games because I already have a 42" Samsung Plasma TV for movies. I kinda wished I had spent the extra money on a low response time PVA monitor like the 970P because I do occasionally watch movies on my computer and the 6-bit TN panel in the 915N sucks for it.

What did you pay for it?

PoweredBySoy said:
As with all new monitors, especially LCD's, I'm still going through that adjustment phase and getting used to it. But as of now, I'm extremely happy with this monitor.

I just ordered a Viewsonic VP930b which should be delivered tomorrow. I'm hoping that it doesn't suffer from the dreaded backlight seepage problem others have reported, but if it does Samsung's 970p is my next choice.

How do you like the stand? Does it give a generous height adjustement? Also, have you tried watching a DVD movie on this monitor? Overdrive MVA/PVA panels, like the 930b and 970P, supposedly show a "sparkley" effect in areas of a scene with large sections of a single color. It really wouldn't affect my decision to get one, I'm just wondering how noticable it is. Thanks.

hojolight said:
How do you like the stand? Does it give a generous height adjustement? Also, have you tried watching a DVD movie on this monitor? Overdrive MVA/PVA panels, like the 930b and 970P, supposedly show a "sparkley" effect in areas of a scene with large sections of a single color. It really wouldn't affect my decision to get one, I'm just wondering how noticable it is. Thanks.

The stand is great. As well as looking very contemporary, it's also quite functional. It pivots, turns, tilts in pretty much any configuration you'd want. I'm a little worried about the hinge springs though, that in the long run they might get too loose and not hold the monitor up.

No, I haven't watched movies on it yet. To tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever watched a movie on my computer. This is primarily for gaming and photoshop. Before I bought it, I did hear about that shimmering effect during DVD playback, but have yet to witness it.

Since my original post, I've tweaked the colors a little more by using a tad of Digital Vibrance in Nvidia's control panel. This has made the colors stand out a bit better, and not make them seem so flat. And I still can't get over how dark the blacks are. It's great.

That's kool.
I tried Samsung 930b and bleeding was horrible. Returned it after 2 days.
It makes me sad that people write so much about backlight bleeding, as I'd really like to get an LCD and was gonna try 191b/930b but now I've read so many cases with leaking that I think I'll wait.
But your observations bring me hope.
Maybe I'm kinda too picky about the whoel thing and got too biased by that SyncMaster 930b but I really don't want to pay a lot of money and be annoyed by some bright spots in Doom 3 or while watching movies.

Can you take a look at some DVDs and let us know if u can spot any bleeding (including the black stripes) or that sparkling effect? Thx

M'ichal said:
...but I really don't want to pay a lot of money and be annoyed by some bright spots in Doom 3 or while watching movies.

I completely agree.

M'ichal said:
Can you take a look at some DVDs and let us know if u can spot any bleeding (including the black stripes) or that sparkling effect? Thx

Well, I fooled around with it a bit last night and finally got Batman Begins to run (after having to install some DVD decoders, etc.). The actual quality of the movie didn't look very good, but I think that mainly has to do with my not knowing how to set up the player correctly. I was using WMP 10. But as far as monitor anomolies, I didn't notice any. But to tell you the truth, I'm probably not the best person to test this for you. A videophile I am not. The picture looked a little grainy and pixelated, but I noticed no obvious black lines or sparkling effect.

There is no backlight bleedthrough on this monitor.

CastorTroy said:
What did you pay for it?

$450

EDIT: I bought it at JR.com Last week they had it on sale for $499, as well as a $50 rebate. I just checked and now they have it listed for $540.

lol, $450, freakin nice!!!

As to the DVD...hmmm...you might be right, it might be something related to the player cause it's hard for me to believe that the monitor would produce "bad quality picture", especially that you say there are no sparkles. You said you don't watch too many DVDs so maybe u're just not used to it or sth. Or maybe there's sth with the player settings, don't know.

As long as there's no backlight crap and u're saying games look awesome...I think I got something to look forward to :) Gotta wait a while though, as these things are nowhere in Canada and there isn't much about them on the net yet. I hate waiting :(

PS. What I meant with the "Black stripes" was not whether u can see some black lines, but rather if u can see any backlight on the two black stripes at the top and bottom of the monitor which are caused by the widescreen format of the DVD :)

M'ichal said:
PS. What I meant with the "Black stripes" was not whether u can see some black lines, but rather if u can see any backlight on the two black stripes at the top and bottom of the monitor which are caused by the widescreen format of the DVD :)

Ooooh. No, there was none of that.

When playing the DVD, the movie had horrible contrast/brightness settings it seemed. It was very washed out and appeared to have a white "film" over it. When I accessed the video setting in WMP 10, it wouldn't let me adjust them. So I don't know.... I gave up.

I went and bought Thief: Deadly Shadows last night for $15, because I knew it was a very dark game. The monitor performed wonderfully. Unfortunately, the game itself sucks.

Is the bezel silver or white? I am unable to tell because of the light sitting on your desk has the front of it in a shadow. The base looks white and the center piece appears silver.

Now that you have had a couple of more days are you still happy with it?

Trucker61 said:
Is the bezel silver or white? I am unable to tell because of the light sitting on your desk has the front of it in a shadow. The base looks white and the center piece appears silver.

Correct. The bezel is silver, and the base is white. It's a very contemporary and "clean" look, I love it. But since 99% of the computer parts out there are black/silver, this monitor may clash with any sort of theme you may have going.

Trucker61 said:
Now that you have had a couple of more days are you still happy with it?

Absolutely. Best LCD I've owned or used. I'd still love to get one of those color spyder things on it to calibrate the colors, but there's no way I'm spending that much money on one.

That is a great lamp! ..and a really nice LCD too. I don't think I've ever seen a desktop LCD panel with lack of backlight leakage like your 970P.

I haven't heard any complaints about leaking in 193p+ either. Looks like Samsung started caring more.

I think this may be the monitor for me. After a month are you still happy with it PoweredBySoy?

What about the brightness? Does it seem ok? 250 seems low compared to others but I have no idea what that looks like.

Back